Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

A bit shameful to love your old car?, what do you think

views

csneo
post Oct 29 2015, 11:17 AM

Casual
389 posts

i drive a 20 years proton, it serve me great. just when renew road tax, no more first party.
shinjite
post Oct 29 2015, 05:01 PM

�ŞħĬΩĵΐŦ��
All Stars
19,176 posts

QUOTE(danieloo @ Oct 29 2015, 11:10 AM)
Why shameful? You should be proud that.
You will have more money to spent without paying any for bank loan.
New car prices are ridiculous compare to 10 years ago.

GSTs bring down the price as promised by the government are really stupid statement. Also, our government promised to bring down car prices...but where is it?
Ringgit drop so prices will increase again.....it will be worse than pre-GST haha
silverwave
post Oct 30 2015, 09:50 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,050 posts

First of all you should not care what others think. I was like you once when i was driving a old but pristine condition Satria. I rather see my investments growing than paying monthly for overpriced vehicles and not being able to spend/invest. smile.gif
boonwuilow
post Oct 30 2015, 02:10 PM

Diesel rocks
3,794 posts

Well... I don't mind using this as my daily driver and polishing and waxing it all day long

Attached Image
bsl555
post Oct 30 2015, 03:21 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,046 posts

Anyone interested in restoring a 1986 BMW E30? I got one to let go to anyone interested passionately but under my preferred T&C.
PM me for telephone number to call directly.
Apologise is this is seen as some advert. I can delete this if this is seen as inappropriate.

This post has been edited by bsl555: Oct 30 2015, 03:23 PM
alwinnng
post Oct 30 2015, 03:45 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,296 posts

No

Cause older cars higher quality and more solid to drive

New one keluar showroom..1 week..start rattle
boonwuilow
post Oct 30 2015, 09:57 PM

Diesel rocks
3,794 posts

QUOTE(bsl555 @ Oct 30 2015, 03:21 PM)
Anyone interested in restoring a 1986 BMW E30? I got one to let go to anyone interested passionately but under my preferred T&C.
PM me for telephone number to call directly.
Apologise is this is seen as some advert. I can delete this if this is seen as inappropriate.
I would want it, but no money too bad... A good platform to do late generation Chevy LS V8 swaps icon_idea.gif
Aquariusdenz
post Oct 30 2015, 10:29 PM

Regular
1,533 posts

My job require me to travel around the city everyday, and my 1995 Kancil is my daily driver. It does the job well, apart from noisy leaking engine, rough idle, bad lower arms and some dented. I already bought myself a Saga FLX 2 years ago which is more for family and fetching people. Sometime I will think, should I trade in the Kancil and opt for Axia? Or just keep the Kancil and transplant a better engine and restore it?

After reading this thread, it seems that some members are still driving a Kancil everyday. At the same time, my wife told me she prefer a decent house first instead of a decent car and save the car loan money for vacation. Which gives me some motivation to slowly restore this pity daily driver to good condition. biggrin.gif
demetry
post Oct 31 2015, 10:48 AM

Casual
302 posts

QUOTE(alwinnng @ Oct 30 2015, 03:45 PM)
No

Cause older cars higher quality and more solid to drive

New one keluar showroom..1 week..start rattle
lol this statement is as true as gold. my fren punya new elentra stuck at home bcoz cannot start engine. this is not even 1 year from purchase date. doh.gif
wira_laju
post Oct 31 2015, 06:56 PM

Getting Started
235 posts

why shame own old car.at least no dept at bank.
drive 100k car but is really not ur car.
am_eniey
post Nov 2 2015, 09:08 PM

✿✿✿✿✿
3,314 posts

QUOTE(wira_laju @ Oct 31 2015, 06:56 PM)
why shame own old car.at least no dept at bank.
drive 100k car but is really not ur car.
#JILAKE #TAKBUR
RigerZ
post Nov 6 2015, 01:33 PM

On the way on the way
953 posts

As long as you love your car, nothing else matters wink.gif
mcchin
post Nov 6 2015, 03:47 PM

SLAVA UKRAINI !
3,892 posts

I drive hands me down Nissan Sunny 130y year 1992

Start driving since got my license back in 1998 and never looked back

but this year, I start to face problems with old cars

Insurance, the more old the car gets
the harder to get insurance coverage

This car was my pops pride and joy
so since the start it always been Comprehensive Insurance

This year, so sadly the insurance company only offer 3rd party plus theft and fire
this made me seriously think of changing the car

sad sad day indeed sad.gif

ps: the mileage dial just recently passed 100K
alanyuppie
post Nov 6 2015, 03:50 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,791 posts

QUOTE(Aquariusdenz @ Oct 30 2015, 11:29 PM)
My job require me to travel around the city everyday, and my 1995 Kancil is my daily driver. It does the job well, apart from noisy leaking engine, rough idle, bad lower arms and some dented. I already bought myself a Saga FLX 2 years ago which is more for family and fetching people. Sometime I will think, should I trade in the Kancil and opt for Axia? Or just keep the Kancil and transplant a better engine and restore it?

After reading this thread, it seems that some members are still driving a Kancil everyday. At the same time, my wife told me she prefer a decent house first instead of a decent car and save the car loan money for vacation. Which gives me some motivation to slowly restore this pity daily driver to good condition.  biggrin.gif
Sometimes its the old car that come to your rescue when you are in deep shit with newer car.

Same like young people make new frens as they grow up.. then if unlucky m its the fren who cheat/betray him... end up elderly parents go bail out.

moral of the story: Old car as backup in case new car brokes down and the more hi-tech the new car is.. the chances of malfunction higher, and needs stay "hospitalized" is longer".

ilikeweetbix
post Nov 6 2015, 10:22 PM

Getting Started
238 posts

QUOTE(samjet @ Oct 10 2015, 12:03 AM)
I have an old honda and it is 16 years old now. I love it, nice to drive, no rattling noise. It doesnt give me much trouble, never been to overhaul. Japanese car.. reliable.

I wash my car every 2 weeks. When i am free at home, i will go and look around my car, opening car bonnet, dismantling some parts or some diy. I do not add those fancy stuffs like carbon sticker. Diy means fixing water leakage, soundproofing etc. I will also clean the engine room and check the reservoir and oil.

I wonder how my neighbors think of me. Maybe they think i am funny and idiotic because of my enthusiasm in old crap car. Why put so much effort on an old car, unless u cant afford a new one cry.gif. They own a better car like new bmw or toyota but they didnt bother much. Sometimes when i am fixing my car, my neighbor comes out and i feel awkward/malu. Is it my low self esteem? What do you think..
Why do you need the approval of others? This feels like its really common nowadays, the need for approval
wkc5657
post Nov 6 2015, 11:10 PM

On my way
513 posts

There's no denying that old cars can sometimes give you headaches but as many forumers here attest, new cars also comes with it's set of issues.

Think of your old ride from a different perspective. Albeit old cars being old, they harbour memories along the years it served you. Recently, i traded in my 13 year old vios for a new car and when the car was being driven off by the buyer, a tinge of regret swelled in my heart. After all, i really had a number of memories with this car.

Here are some of the significant ones :
1) First of all, it belonged to my late father who passed away a few years back. Looking at the car reminds me of him and the days he drove the family around.
2) I caused my first ever accident with it, a side glancing blow to the back side of another vios at a traffic light. No one got hurt (hurt pride aside), not a serious accident but surprised that the tie rod and drive shaft get broken at such a low speed collision.
3) Confesses my feelings to a girl of my liking which subsequently became my girlfriend and now wife biggrin.gif
4) This car was the workhorse during our courtship days
5) I got my 1st kiss in this car tongue.gif
6) Almost got killed twice in this car :
- one was a high speed avoidance from a prime mover who made an emergency lane cut into my lane from a reckless driver who suddenly cut into it's lane. The rear tyres screamed a bit, a quick turn back to the lane, and all is well. My heart was racing and cold sweat accompanied me back to home. sweat.gif
- the other one was during a heavy rain at night. Road was poorly lit and i "dived" into a large puddle of water. Was travelling close to 90kph that time and surprisingly, the car didn't swerve to the other lane. Slowly drove out of the puddle, drive belt made a little noise, then back on driving with cold sweat back home. sweat.gif
7) I fetched my new born daughter back home with this car icon_rolleyes.gif

Yeah, one may feel embarrassed with one's old car when comparing to another "newer" car, but you can bet that the memories behind the new car will surely be a shallow one compared to your old car thumbup.gif

This post has been edited by wkc5657: Nov 6 2015, 11:13 PM
winkiedilwy
post Nov 7 2015, 07:49 AM

Imma farting carrots.
2,343 posts

QUOTE(samjet @ Oct 10 2015, 12:03 AM)
I have an old honda and it is 16 years old now. I love it, nice to drive, no rattling noise. It doesnt give me much trouble, never been to overhaul. Japanese car.. reliable.

I wash my car every 2 weeks. When i am free at home, i will go and look around my car, opening car bonnet, dismantling some parts or some diy. I do not add those fancy stuffs like carbon sticker. Diy means fixing water leakage, soundproofing etc. I will also clean the engine room and check the reservoir and oil.

I wonder how my neighbors think of me. Maybe they think i am funny and idiotic because of my enthusiasm in old crap car. Why put so much effort on an old car, unless u cant afford a new one cry.gif. They own a better car like new bmw or toyota but they didnt bother much. Sometimes when i am fixing my car, my neighbor comes out and i feel awkward/malu. Is it my low self esteem? What do you think..
Nah the love between you and your car will grow with the time.
qeyl90
post Nov 7 2015, 08:00 AM

Casual
331 posts

I have a 1989 daihatsu charade and a 1996 honda civic..currently civic is my daily driver and it give me a lot of problem since it need a serious maintenance and overhaulin..but i still love them and will try my best to maintain the car..not ashame even if most of those my age are driving newer car..
DBKL
post Nov 7 2015, 11:27 AM

Getting Started
79 posts

why bother why bother why bother brotherrr... they all might be jelly because you no need spend thousand to pay for the installment..

5 Pages « < 3 4 5Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0180sec    0.17    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:01 PM