views

TStarvalslain87
post Oct 8 2015, 06:44 PM, updated 9y ago

(•_•) / ( •_•)>⌐■-■ / (⌐■_■)
Group Icon
Staff
5,045 posts

Hi all,

I would like to ask for some assistance and recommendation for my house network setup.

The unifi Broadband Termination Unit is at the back of my house and that place has Ethernet ports connected to all rooms in my house including both of my living rooms. Basically a central networking box for my house. The unifi modem/router is currently placed in my ground floor living room with the hypp TV device.

I would like to have ethernet cable connection for all the ports in the 7 areas below:

1. Ground Floor Living Room
2. First Floor Living Room
3. 5 rooms

So the connection will be as follow: Broadband Termination Unit > Unifi Modem/Router > 8 port Switch > All 7 areas

Let me know if I made a mistake above.

Additionally, I would like to have wifi for all 3 floors (Ground, First, Second). So should I buy extra 2 routers for my First Floor and Second Floor? Or should i get something like a HomePlug to boost my wifi?

Im very particular with internet stability and speed. So if 2 extra routers can help to maintain that, I dont mind getting them unless the HomePlug or other similar devices can guarantee my requirements.

My house land built up is 22 x 80.

Last but not least, please help to recommend which router and switch should I get. Budget for router is about 300 depending on the quality of course smile.gif

Hope its not tl:dr.

Thanks in advance! notworthy.gif

WaCKy-Angel
post Oct 8 2015, 06:48 PM

PeACe~~
All Stars
21,509 posts

Better use AP
TStarvalslain87
post Oct 8 2015, 06:59 PM

Group Icon
Staff
5,045 posts

QUOTE(WaCKy-Angel @ Oct 8 2015, 06:48 PM)
Better use AP
??? Sorry but I dont get what you mean
niakulah
post Oct 8 2015, 11:07 PM

Senior Artisan
1,264 posts

QUOTE(tarvalslain87 @ Oct 8 2015, 06:59 PM)
??? Sorry but I dont get what you mean
Wireless Access Points (APs). Your idea is sound, but instead of router, better to use AP. Wireless routers can function as APs but why pay for functionality you don't need?
TStarvalslain87
post Oct 8 2015, 11:37 PM

Group Icon
Staff
5,045 posts

QUOTE(niakulah @ Oct 8 2015, 11:07 PM)
Wireless Access Points (APs). Your idea is sound, but instead of router, better to use AP. Wireless routers can function as APs but why pay for functionality you don't need?
Ah thanks for clarifying.. New to that acronym. Thanks for the input.

I guess ill put a router at my first floor to cover both ground and 2nd floor and if the signal is weak then ill include APs.

Evirober
post Oct 9 2015, 12:54 AM

On my way
616 posts

Do try to get the strong/reputable 801.11ac router unit for stability
niakulah
post Oct 9 2015, 09:28 AM

Senior Artisan
1,264 posts

When it comes to multi-AP deployments, I'm not a fan of the "more power is better" method. Cisco APs controlled by a WLC for example; if the APs are in adjacent rooms, it will normally lower both APs' power. I've seen it go down as low as 6 (it goes from 1-7, 1 is full power).

You want a good amount of overlap between cells so that there are no dead spots, but not so much that your device will continue to struggle using a weaker signal when it is better off roaming to another AP with a stronger signal. A lot of devices are very "sticky" and home APs and routers rarely incorporate roaming technologies like 802.11r and 802.11k.

This post has been edited by niakulah: Oct 9 2015, 09:28 AM
Xefron
post Oct 9 2015, 10:26 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,507 posts

QUOTE(tarvalslain87 @ Oct 8 2015, 06:44 PM)
Hi all,

I would like to ask for some assistance and recommendation for my house network setup.

The unifi Broadband Termination Unit is at the back of my house and that place has Ethernet ports connected to all rooms in my house including both of my living rooms. Basically a central networking box for my house. The unifi modem/router is currently placed in my ground floor living room with the hypp TV device.

I would like to have ethernet cable connection for all the ports in the 7 areas below:

1. Ground Floor Living Room
2. First Floor Living Room
3. 5 rooms

So the connection will be as follow: Broadband Termination Unit > Unifi Modem/Router > 8 port Switch > All 7 areas

Let me know if I made a mistake above.

Additionally, I would like to have wifi for all 3 floors (Ground, First, Second). So should I buy extra 2 routers for my First Floor and Second Floor? Or should i get something like a HomePlug to boost my wifi?

Im very particular with internet stability and speed. So if 2 extra routers can help to maintain that, I dont mind getting them unless the HomePlug or other similar devices can guarantee my requirements.

My house land built up is 22 x 80.

Last but not least, please help to recommend which router and switch should I get. Budget for router is about 300 depending on the quality of course smile.gif

Hope its not tl:dr.

Thanks in advance!  notworthy.gif
This will be my setup if i were you.Assuming it will start from the Ground Floor

G (TM ONT/BTU --- > TPLink WDR4300 ---> Unmanaged 8 Port Gigabit Switch ---->To All 7 areas/Airport Extreme 1)

F (Any LAN Port that is most centered in that floor ---> Airport Extreme 2)

2nd (Any LAN Port that is most centered in that floor ---> Airport Extreme 3)

-All access point is dual band and wireless AC
-All access points will be using the same SSID
-If you are pretty confident all devices in your home is wireless N compliant,
just set it to wireless N mode for 2.4 GHz,
channel width is 20Mhz or you may change your channel width to auto to get 300Mbps,
channel 1 or 6 or 11 only.
-For 5Ghz mode set it all to auto.
-This will be quite expensive because your AP is Airport Extreme.

2nd option is all APs are wireless N and single band from TPLink.
Just set it to wireless N mode for 2.4 GHz
and channel width is 20Mhz,
channel 1 or 6 or 11 only
but your wireless speed will only up to 150Mbps.

This post has been edited by Xefron: Oct 9 2015, 11:15 AM
TStarvalslain87
post Oct 9 2015, 02:03 PM

Group Icon
Staff
5,045 posts

QUOTE(Xefron @ Oct 9 2015, 10:26 AM)
This will be my setup if i were you.Assuming it will start from the Ground Floor

G (TM ONT/BTU --- > TPLink WDR4300 ---> Unmanaged 8 Port Gigabit Switch ---->To All 7 areas/Airport Extreme 1)

channel width is 20Mhz or you may change your channel width to auto to get 300Mbps,

Thanks for the advice.. AirPort Extreme seems to be out of my budget haha... Might consider your 2nd option
herojack41
post Oct 10 2015, 04:48 PM

Master Of Trouble Maker
5,697 posts

QUOTE(Xefron @ Oct 9 2015, 10:26 AM)

today my WDR4300 heart decided to have a cardiac arrest sad.gif

well...i glad it have a heart attack...as this router have a shitty 5ghz and 2ghz wireless

QUOTE(tarvalslain87 @ Oct 9 2015, 02:03 PM)
Thanks for the advice.. AirPort Extreme seems to be out of my budget haha... Might consider your 2nd option
wireless AP actually is not bad...depends on which model you get

well....not all Tp-link model is rubbish. Currently im using this
http://www.tp-link.com.my/products/details...TL-WA860RE.html

to extend my wifi coverage.....the wireless signal quality is acceptable.

easy to deploy and no need wiring at all. but with 1 condition, your main router have to have a strong wireless signal
Xefron
post Oct 10 2015, 06:52 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,507 posts

QUOTE(herojack41 @ Oct 10 2015, 04:48 PM)
today my WDR4300 heart decided to have a cardiac arrest sad.gif

well...i glad it have a heart attack...as this router have a shitty 5ghz and 2ghz wireless
wireless AP actually is not bad...depends on which model you get

well....not all Tp-link model is rubbish. Currently im using this
http://www.tp-link.com.my/products/details...TL-WA860RE.html

to extend my wifi coverage.....the wireless signal quality is acceptable.

easy to deploy and no need wiring at all. but with 1 condition, your main router have to have a strong wireless signal
WDR 4300 really has a shitty range. laugh.gif but for routing purposes more than enough.that's why i prefer to spend more on high quality access point.for a router any RM100-RM200 would do.
satanhead2003
post Oct 10 2015, 08:05 PM

On my way
549 posts

If i read it correctly, every floor/room has its ethernet port.right? I'll just add accesspoint to that 3 floor your mention at the port where u need wifi access. If u need a cable connection to your end device (pc/laptop), just plug it in the accesspoint port if another port is not accessible. I'll also add pfsense to the network. instead of this:

Broadband Termination Unit > Unifi Modem/Router > 8 port Switch > All 7 areas

my preferred setup will be
Broadband Termination Unit > Unifi Modem/Router > pfsense > 8 port Switch > All 7 areas (wifi + cable)

Preferred accesspoint brand : TP-link > Asus > Ubiquiti
TStarvalslain87
post Oct 11 2015, 03:25 AM

Group Icon
Staff
5,045 posts

QUOTE(satanhead2003 @ Oct 10 2015, 08:05 PM)
If i read it correctly, every floor/room has its ethernet port.right? I'll just add accesspoint to that 3 floor your mention at the port where u need wifi access. If u need a cable connection to your end device (pc/laptop), just plug it in the accesspoint port if another port is not accessible. I'll also add pfsense to the network. instead of this:

Broadband Termination Unit > Unifi Modem/Router > 8 port Switch > All 7 areas

my preferred setup will be
Broadband Termination Unit > Unifi Modem/Router > pfsense > 8 port Switch > All 7 areas (wifi + cable)

Preferred accesspoint brand : TP-link > Asus > Ubiquiti
Yes all rooms has its own port. Hmm it sounds like a good idea to have APs wherever I need them and the rest will be using direct cables.. Thanks for the brief and detailed advice.. I'll start shopping for the devices smile.gif
krayden
post Oct 11 2015, 04:23 AM

On my way
568 posts

Been using asus rtn12hp for ap. Cheap, stable, long range. Downstairs just theregular unifi router + gigabit switch will do. Use same ssid and passphrase throughout.

Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0151sec    0.33    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:26 AM