Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

lecturer vs engineer, help me to decide....

views

TSsuga sugie
post Oct 7 2015, 09:26 PM, updated 9y ago

Getting Started
70 posts

Hi all,

I am an engineer in an oil n gas construction company with 4 years experience; on a contractual basis . I had been offered a job as a lecturer in a technical institution owned by the government. Problem is, they only can offer me fresh grad starting basic salary. Plus with the allowance, it still around 1K lesser than what i currently get.

What do u think guys? Its government sector, and i am now only working on contractual basis for now...

Thanks in advance biggrin.gif
Salary
post Oct 7 2015, 10:56 PM

On my way
664 posts

Give it two more years in your current line of work and you'll see your paycheck rise on a near-exponential scale. But if you have absolutely no passion in your present role and have an inclination towards teaching and research, you may want to go ahead with the switch. It's up to yourself to discover where your interest lies.

My opinion may be a little biased based on my own journey in this industry though. I love my job - the rotation, the opportunity to roam, the work-life balance and I'm constantly exposed to new experiences on and off the job. I can't see myself doing something repetitive year-on-year such as teaching. To each their own, I guess.
dexmonata
post Oct 8 2015, 07:50 AM

Getting Started
199 posts

QUOTE(Salary @ Oct 7 2015, 10:56 PM)
Give it two more years in your current line of work and you'll see your paycheck rise on a near-exponential scale. But if you have absolutely no passion in your present role and have an inclination towards teaching and research, you may want to go ahead with the switch. It's up to yourself to discover where your interest lies.

My opinion may be a little biased based on my own journey in this industry though. I love my job - the rotation, the opportunity to roam, the work-life balance and I'm constantly exposed to new experiences on and off the job. I can't see myself doing something repetitive year-on-year such as teaching. To each their own, I guess.
Mind to share which field you work in? I seldom heard engineer have work life balance..
hafizhans
post Oct 8 2015, 08:13 AM

haa..ahnn..ahnn..aduii
1,484 posts

i heard many worker in oil n gas sector loses their job recently.
if its true, better jump ship.
but if u has no passion in teaching, pity ur student nanti lol
TSsuga sugie
post Oct 8 2015, 09:00 AM

Getting Started
70 posts

QUOTE(hafizhans @ Oct 8 2015, 08:13 AM)
i heard many worker in oil n gas sector loses their job recently.
if its true, better jump ship.
but if u has no passion in teaching, pity ur student nanti lol
yea its true. I have passion in teaching. But, I am passionate also with what i am doing now. Downside of my current job is no work life balance and the pay is not worth it compare to the responsibilities and the long hours of working..
kenaban
post Oct 8 2015, 09:52 AM

Getting Started
90 posts

QUOTE(suga sugie @ Oct 7 2015, 09:26 PM)
Hi all,

I am an engineer in an oil n gas construction company with 4 years experience; on a contractual basis . I had been offered a job as a lecturer in a technical institution owned by the government. Problem is, they only can offer me fresh grad starting basic salary. Plus with the allowance, it still around 1K lesser than what i currently get.

What do u think guys? Its government sector, and i am now only working on contractual basis for now...

Thanks in advanceĀ  biggrin.gif
Why are u working in o&g as contract basis ? Who are u working for ? Some subcon company with 3 man show or a real oil gas company fetching 100 mil and more revenue ?

Are you going for the PMT and other certifications required in Oil and Gas ?

Why is the difference between a fresh grad lecturer salary to and oil gas engineer with 4 years experience is only RM 1 k ?

Am I right to assume the current job u r working , u recently joined and for the past 4 years u have been jumping around within few industries ?

Anyway , regarding your question :

Working as a lecturer in government institute means to have fairly the same salary with good security in life. Chances of u getting fired is almost zero .

But you get to work outside ( tuition ) where the earnings are fairly reasonable and get to spend more time with kids / family .

Government personal tend to get 30 days annual leave , and it will grow in time . I do know government personal with 90 days leave .

And the country do need good / competent ppl teaching the kids .

alternatively , working in oil and gas field - will fetch you a good income . A five years experience engineer without an Ir title can easily make RM 16 -22 k ( boiler consultant ) . If you are willing to leave the country the pay is exponentially higher ( RM 55k after convert )

chances to spend time with family are low and what annual leave . ( I mean u get annual leave but there are for shows since the work load remain the same and u must complete them anyway )

So if you asked me - go for the lecturer job - take the low risk job since ur current job is uncertain . Low pay but the perks are good , get to take car loan / housing loan @ minimum interest rate .

This post has been edited by kenaban: Oct 8 2015, 09:54 AM
Salary
post Oct 8 2015, 10:00 AM

On my way
664 posts

QUOTE(dexmonata @ Oct 8 2015, 07:50 AM)
Mind to share which field you work in? I seldom heard engineer have work life balance..
Oil & gas. In comparison with other industries, especially semicon and construction, we have better work-life balance on average.
dexmonata
post Oct 8 2015, 10:18 AM

Getting Started
199 posts

QUOTE(Salary @ Oct 8 2015, 10:00 AM)
Oil & gas. In comparison with other industries, especially semicon and construction, we have better work-life balance on average.
Wow..highly paid and have work life balance..i really admire...

wywy2020
post Oct 8 2015, 10:29 AM

Regular
1,636 posts

QUOTE(kenaban @ Oct 8 2015, 09:52 AM)
Why are u working in o&g as contract basis  ? Who are u working for ? Some subcon company with 3 man show or a real oil gas company fetching 100 mil and more revenue ? 

Are you going for the PMT and other certifications required in Oil and Gas  ?

Why is the difference between a fresh grad lecturer salary to and oil gas engineer with 4 years experience is only RM 1 k ?

Am I right to assume the current job u r working , u recently joined and for the past 4 years u have been jumping around within few industries ? 

Anyway , regarding your question  :

Working as a lecturer in government institute means to have fairly the same salary with good security in life. Chances of u getting fired is almost zero . 

But you get to work outside ( tuition ) where the earnings are fairly reasonable and get to spend more time with kids / family .

Government personal tend to get 30 days annual leave , and it will grow in time . I do know government personal with 90 days leave .

alternatively , working in oil and gas field - will fetch you a good income . A five years experience engineer without an Ir title can easily make RM 16 -22 k ( boiler consultant )  . If you are willing to leave the country the pay is exponentially higher ( RM 55k after convert )

chances to spend time with family are low and what annual leave . ( I mean u get annual leave but there are for shows since the work load remain the same and u must complete them anyway )

So if you asked me - go for the lecturer job  - take the low risk job since ur current job is uncertain . Low pay but the perks are good , get to take car loan / housing loan @ minimum interest rate .
All oil and gas engineer getting 5 figure salary....no wonder they are doing good....
wywy2020
post Oct 8 2015, 10:30 AM

Regular
1,636 posts

QUOTE(dexmonata @ Oct 8 2015, 10:18 AM)
5 figure and work balance. dream job.
wywy2020
post Oct 8 2015, 10:31 AM

Regular
1,636 posts

QUOTE(suga sugie @ Oct 7 2015, 09:26 PM)
Hi all,

Thanks in advance  biggrin.gif
5 figure pay for lecturer?
wywy2020
post Oct 8 2015, 10:32 AM

Regular
1,636 posts

QUOTE(Salary @ Oct 7 2015, 10:56 PM)

exponential scale? mean oil n gas industry increment is good? great thanks for the info....
zheng88
post Oct 8 2015, 10:34 AM

Nutritionist / Nutrition Counselor
485 posts

Lecturer is for people that are in semi retirement nowadays. The days when they were paid handsomely are gone as there are over supply of PhDs who are desperate to work on low pay. Work in commercial area first, only if desperate work as lecturer.
WongCobain
post Oct 8 2015, 10:52 AM

Casual
404 posts

it depends on u
Salary
post Oct 8 2015, 10:59 AM

On my way
664 posts

QUOTE(dexmonata @ Oct 8 2015, 10:18 AM)
I was employed under an O&G contractor before switching to the client side, so I can relate to the frustration you're having. You may feel that you're not compensated enough for the amount of effort you're putting in, which is completely natural at this early phase of your career. In this industry, your workload is like an oscillation - you cycle through periods of very high workload, followed by breather troughs, unless you're with drilling services. Continue to pour in effort and I assure you that you'll be able to command a much higher remuneration in the near future.

You've already been in the industry for four years - if you can survive through this period of recession without getting the boot, then I urge you to continue on. Once the industry picks up again, there'll be an abundance of vacancies in the market - that's the time you'll be able to reap the fruits of your labour. smile.gif
Stamp
post Oct 8 2015, 11:53 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,782 posts

QUOTE(zheng88 @ Oct 8 2015, 10:34 AM)
Lecturer is for people that are in semi retirement nowadays. The days when they were paid handsomely are gone as there are over supply of PhDs who are desperate to work on low pay. Work in commercial area first, only if desperate work as lecturer.
I doubt there is an oversupply of people with PhDs in engineering in Malaysia.
TSsuga sugie
post Oct 8 2015, 12:00 PM

Getting Started
70 posts

QUOTE(kenaban @ Oct 8 2015, 09:52 AM)
Why are u working in o&g as contract basis  ? Who are u working for ? Some subcon company with 3 man show or a real oil gas company fetching 100 mil and more revenue ? 

Are you going for the PMT and other certifications required in Oil and Gas  ?

Anyway , regarding your question  :

alternatively , working in oil and gas field - will fetch you a good income . A five years experience engineer without an Ir title can easily make RM 16 -22 k ( boiler consultant )  . If you are willing to leave the country the pay is exponentially higher ( RM 55k after convert )

So if you asked me - go for the lecturer job  - take the low risk job since ur current job is uncertain . Low pay but the perks are good , get to take car loan / housing loan @ minimum interest rate .
Yes. I'm working for subcon. The salary difference because in gov i will receive allowance. to be straight, currently i get 4k. for lecturer,roughly i will get 2.3k+rm700 allowance.

you do point out benefit working in the goverment and i will put it in my consideration. Thanks bro..

-oc-gassa
post Oct 8 2015, 12:13 PM

Enthusiast
955 posts

for me... u still can go far.. challenge your self .. current pay is not comfort level..by staying in private sector.. u can jump.. until one day u feel enough of job related issue/problem or tired.. then u can proceed with lecturer job..
TSsuga sugie
post Oct 8 2015, 12:20 PM

Getting Started
70 posts

QUOTE(Salary @ Oct 8 2015, 10:59 AM)
I was employed under an O&G contractor before switching to the client side, so I can relate to the frustration you're having. You may feel that you're not compensated enough for the amount of effort you're putting in, which is completely natural at this early phase of your career. In this industry, your workload is like an oscillation - you cycle through periods of very high workload, followed by breather troughs, unless you're with drilling services. Continue to pour in effort and I assure you that you'll be able to command a much higher remuneration in the near future.

You've already been in the industry for four years - if you can survive through this period of recession without getting the boot, then I urge you to continue on. Once the industry picks up again, there'll be an abundance of vacancies in the market - that's the time you'll be able to reap the fruits of your labour.  smile.gif
Good point sir but It is really hard to get into your position. The is competition very high because everyone target also to work for client side. In the end,I will continue working for subcon only, and my life will fully devoted to work. And i dont want that.

My project is almost at the end, so my future in this industry is uncertain.

My mind still battling whether i should continue on or make a diversion. This is a very rare chance to do a diversion, if I reject it, I may not be able to do it again.
kenaban
post Oct 8 2015, 02:58 PM

Getting Started
90 posts

QUOTE(suga sugie @ Oct 8 2015, 12:00 PM)
Yes. I'm working for subcon. The salary difference because in gov i will receive allowance. to be straight, currently i get 4k. for lecturer,roughly i will get  2.3k+rm700 allowance.

you do point out benefit working in the goverment and i will put it in my consideration. Thanks bro..
see if you told me this then i know what kind of shitty company u r working for .

Indian subcon doing the 3rd party welding checking ?

No , leave the company - no future .

Go into tutoring . Listen to me .... or remember to me pm me that im right .

2 Pages  1 2 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0167sec    0.32    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:41 PM