Bump Topic Topic Closed RSS Feed

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Hardware Adding 3.5" sata hdd to pc, Cannot detect 2 hdd at same time

views

post Oct 9 2015, 03:50 PM

lost soul
866 posts

QUOTE(Hawaiiii @ Oct 9 2015, 02:58 PM)
The new and old hdd can be detected (only when i put in sata3 slot, other sata2 slot not working), so i assume is not the hdd issue.

For bios, i tried restore to factory setting, it makes even worst cannot boot windows, and i have to switch the sata from ide to ahci mode only can boot (i dont know why).

Ok tonight i will try bios safe boot see how, will update again thanks.
you should test install windows 7 see if got problem or not, i got a feeling that the windows 10 is the culprit.
TSHawaiiii
post Oct 9 2015, 03:58 PM

On my way
684 posts

QUOTE(horns @ Oct 9 2015, 03:45 PM)
it failed to boot because the os has been configured to use ahci driver.

the weirdest thing is still other sata ports not working. i hope it's not about this one, http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=2589 ( more:http://www.anandtech.com/show/4142/intel-discovers-bug-in-6series-chipset-begins-recall , http://www.anandtech.com/show/4143/the-sou...-point-sata-bug )
U got me the answer, sata2 port will fail after 3 years lol... I bought on 2011 march and now i only know. The problem is, now still can find a replacement for my gigabyte mobo or straight get a new one?

Lets say if can go for a replacement, it took weeks / months, i guess cannot wait.

If i go for new mobo to replace current one, also gg coz it is very old lga1155 socket, and if change mobo my oem windows will gone also. Haih...

Solution:-
Maybe i should just stick to 2x sata3 port at this moment, the extra hdd can just be ignored.
TSHawaiiii
post Oct 9 2015, 04:02 PM

On my way
684 posts

QUOTE(9876789 @ Oct 9 2015, 03:50 PM)
you should test install windows 7 see if got problem or not, i got a feeling that the windows 10 is the culprit.
I think w7 also give me same problem, coz years ago my dvd suddenly not working and i assume is the dvd rom malfunction, then i unplug from the sata port until now i only realize that the sata2 port cause the problem.
YoungMan
post Oct 9 2015, 04:11 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,393 posts

QUOTE(Hawaiiii @ Oct 9 2015, 04:58 PM)
U got me the answer, sata2 port will fail after 3 years lol... I bought on 2011 march and now i only know. The problem is, now still can find a replacement for my gigabyte mobo or straight get a new one?

Lets say if can go for a replacement, it took weeks / months, i guess cannot wait.

If i go for new mobo to replace current one, also gg coz it is very old lga1155 socket, and if change mobo my oem windows will gone also. Haih...

Maybe i should just stick to 2x sata3 port at this moment, the extra hdd can just be ignored.
If still under warranty worth the wait. You can get a new mobo and send this one for replacement. After that you sell off the replacement mobo. I believe still possible to find this LgA1155 mobo,if not Gigabyte other brand like Asus or MSI will do.
If your windows is retail version, you can try your luck activating on the new mobo, but you might have to call Microsoft and explain to them... However if your windows is OEM then bye bye.
horns
post Oct 9 2015, 04:17 PM

\m/
3,036 posts

QUOTE(Hawaiiii @ Oct 9 2015, 03:58 PM)

oh :/ this sucks. i think your choice is only to get a new one, since your mobo should be out of warranty. (not sure if intel's recall is still valid after so long)

alternatively, you could use a pcie adapter/addon card that provides sata ports.
TSHawaiiii
post Oct 9 2015, 04:44 PM

On my way
684 posts

QUOTE(horns @ Oct 9 2015, 04:17 PM)
oh :/ this sucks. i think your choice is only to get a new one, since your mobo should be out of warranty. (not sure if intel's recall is still valid after so long)

alternatively, you could use a pcie adapter/addon card that provides sata ports.
I think no more warranty bah after 4.5 years++, if get new one i have to buy another windows lol (rugi besar)... If really really want to get new one, i think better go upgrade to newest intel socket and processor better, 2nd gen i5 sucks, support up to 1300mhz ram only, and before knowing this i bought a 1833mhz ram stick lol... Really sad...

Hmm... Pcie sata apdator, got such thing? Any lyn member selling this?
bluemind
post Oct 9 2015, 04:49 PM

Getting Started
163 posts

QUOTE(Hawaiiii @ Oct 9 2015, 10:06 AM)
Already google and install the w10 driver for mobo and intel RST but still no help.

Yes both new and old hdd can only be detected and working on port 01 (sata2 6gps), problem is my mobo only have 2x sata3 and all my sata2 port seems like malfunction either i connect hdd or sdd.

Btw bios show hdd connected on sata2 but it wont show up at my pc or disk management.
do u mean even the new WD 3TB cannot detect in Windows when on port 01, and SSD on port 00?

can u try install this utility then reboot with 3TB on port 01, it is from Gigabyte site:

3TB+ unlock for OS:Windows XP 32bit,Windows XP 64bit,Windows Vista 32bit,Windows Vista 64bit,Windows 7 32bit,Windows 7 64bit
http://download.gigabyte.asia/FileList/Uti..._3tb_unlock.exe

cos assuming your 4xSATA3 (port 02 to 05) has died due to the chipset bug, the 2xSATA6 (port 00 to 01) should not be affected since it's different controller, and also according to the site horns posted earlier. so your 3TB should be working on port 01 with SSD on port 00.

btw for windows i think u can keep it by installing the retail version (only win7, 8.1 and 10130) u have, then upgrading it manually to win 10. you will have to reactivate your retail version first (so they profile your new motherboard) before updating to 10.

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/...and-retail-iso/

This post has been edited by bluemind: Oct 9 2015, 05:11 PM
TSHawaiiii
post Oct 9 2015, 04:53 PM

On my way
684 posts

QUOTE(bluemind @ Oct 9 2015, 04:49 PM)
do u mean even the new WD 3TB cannot detect in Windows when on port 01, and SSD on port 00?

can u try install this utility then reboot with 3TB on port 01, it is from Gigabyte site:

3TB+ unlock for OS:Windows XP 32bit,Windows XP 64bit,Windows Vista 32bit,Windows Vista 64bit,Windows 7 32bit,Windows 7 64bit
http://download.gigabyte.asia/FileList/Uti..._3tb_unlock.exe

cos assuming your 4xSATA3 (port 02 to 05) has died due to the chipset bug, the 2xSATA6 (port 00 to 01) should not be affected since it's different controller, and also according to the site horns posted earlier. so your 3TB should be working on port 01 with SSD on port 00.
Yes it makes sense, 2 of the sata3 port working fine, the problem is i got 1ssd + 2hdd, so i have to sacrify the old hdd sad.gif
horns
post Oct 9 2015, 04:53 PM

\m/
3,036 posts

QUOTE(Hawaiiii @ Oct 9 2015, 04:44 PM)
I think no more warranty bah after 4.5 years++, if get new one i have to buy another windows lol (rugi besar)... If really really want to get new one, i think better go upgrade to newest intel socket and processor better, 2nd gen i5 sucks, support up to 1300mhz ram only, and before knowing this i bought a 1833mhz ram stick lol... Really sad...

Hmm... Pcie sata apdator, got such thing? Any lyn member selling this?
i thought the same about the offer, because in the first link that i shared with you, there was a gigabyte response to the incident, i don't think it's valid anymore.

yes, there is such a thing. i have read that some users using this here. check this out, http://www.lelong.com.my/2x-sata-2x-esata-...7-01-Sale-I.htm drop the seller a message to see if it's good for you.

TSHawaiiii
post Oct 9 2015, 05:04 PM

On my way
684 posts

QUOTE(horns @ Oct 9 2015, 04:53 PM)
i thought the same about the offer, because in the first link that i shared with you, there was a gigabyte response to the incident, i don't think it's valid anymore.

yes, there is such a thing. i have read that some users using this here. check this out, http://www.lelong.com.my/2x-sata-2x-esata-...7-01-Sale-I.htm drop the seller a message to see if it's good for you.
U are so kind, thanks bro.
horns
post Oct 9 2015, 05:09 PM

\m/
3,036 posts

QUOTE(Hawaiiii @ Oct 9 2015, 05:04 PM)
U are so kind, thanks bro.
don't mention it bro smile.gif hope this can avoid wasting stuff like windows license.

3 Pages < 1 2 3Top
Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0128sec    0.18    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:53 AM