Bump Topic Topic Closed RSS Feed

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

windows 10 after change ssd

views

TSmoonhowler
post Oct 3 2015, 11:58 AM, updated 9y ago

Getting Started
141 posts

1.i have recently bought a laptop with Windows 8 pre-installed. I upgraded to Windows 10. And checked the windows has been activated
2. I also bought a new SSD disk and replaced to the laptop
3. i do a new installation of Windows Single Language Home to the new disk via bootable usb drive
4. The new installed Windows cannot be activated, saying the product key and license key is invalid.

How do i activate the Windows 10, if anyone experience similar problem can share?
lucifah
post Oct 3 2015, 12:00 PM

St. Fu
Group Icon
Staff
7,932 posts

QUOTE(moonhowler @ Oct 3 2015, 11:58 AM)
1.i have recently bought a laptop with Windows 8 pre-installed. I upgraded to Windows 10. And checked the windows has been activated
3. i do a new installation of Windows Single Language Home to the new disk via bootable usb drive
4. The new installed Windows cannot be activated, saying the product key and license key is invalid.

How do i activate the Windows 10, if anyone experience similar problem can share?
u installed windows 8 or win 10 from boot?

u need to install win8 first then upgrade to win10 since your license is a win8 license

foohoa
post Oct 3 2015, 12:00 PM

Enthusiast
976 posts

if u change ssd in win8, u need to call microsoft to active it
SUSAmeiN
post Oct 3 2015, 12:03 PM

★★★★★★★
4,735 posts

home or pro? must be same version and call microsoft to activate
TSmoonhowler
post Oct 3 2015, 12:11 PM

Getting Started
141 posts

QUOTE(lucifah @ Oct 3 2015, 12:00 PM)
u installed windows 8 or win 10 from boot?

u need to install win8 first then upgrade to win10 since your license is a win8 license
my laptop comes with the windows 8 already installed. i upgraded to win10. then i change to a blank SSD. i don't have the installer with the key CD, the laptop didnt comes with cd. can the windows 8 be activated in my ssd if i install fresh?

QUOTE(foohoa @ Oct 3 2015, 12:00 PM)
if u change ssd in win8, u need to call microsoft to active it
QUOTE(AmeiN @ Oct 3 2015, 12:03 PM)
home or pro? must be same version and call microsoft to activate
its home. how do i call microsoft? i read somewhere that says there a phone activation in the 'Update and Security' session, but in my case , theres none. hope someone can show me where to get the num..

thanks all and i must admit i am really computer noob..

This post has been edited by moonhowler: Oct 3 2015, 12:11 PM
SUSAmeiN
post Oct 3 2015, 12:15 PM

★★★★★★★
4,735 posts

QUOTE(moonhowler @ Oct 3 2015, 12:11 PM)
my laptop comes with the windows 8 already installed. i upgraded to win10. then i change to a blank SSD. i don't have the installer with the key CD, the laptop didnt comes with cd. can the windows 8 be activated in my ssd if i install fresh?
its home. how do i call microsoft? i read somewhere that says there a phone activation in the 'Update and Security' session, but in my case , theres none. hope someone can show me where to get the num..

thanks all and i must admit i am really computer noob..
or try this method 1st...

http://www.howtogeek.com/206329/how-to-fin...e-product-keys/
lucifah
post Oct 3 2015, 12:19 PM

St. Fu
Group Icon
Staff
7,932 posts

QUOTE(moonhowler @ Oct 3 2015, 12:11 PM)

there, u got your answer already

download an img of win8

install win8 first. make sure its activated

then upgrade to win10

if all else fail, you can do phone activation.
hart932
post Oct 3 2015, 01:31 PM

Getting Started
155 posts

Likely yr laptop comes with win8 installation partition so that you will be able to reset to factory setting without the Windows cd. I would first clone the hdd to ssd so that u have the hidden partition copied over. Then do a factory reset on the ssd with Win 8. Then redo the win10 upgrade as yr original windows keys will be intact. If u wipe out the hdd including the hidden partition, then its like loosing yr original copy of Win CD.
TSmoonhowler
post Oct 3 2015, 01:39 PM

Getting Started
141 posts

Hi all, thanks for your help. I finally had an online chat with the Microsoft help desk. My problem solved, they give me a new product key.

I spent few hours trying out, the online help me with 30min. I lost touched because connection down, he called me on my phone... Superb customer service
Skylinestar
post Oct 3 2015, 01:57 PM

Mega Duck
All Stars
10,092 posts

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/software/op...new-licence-key

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2970075/win...windows-10.html
In Windows 10, utilities like Magical Jelly Bean KeyFinder or Belarc Advisor return generic product keys instead of authentic ones. Don’t believe me? This is the key Windows 10 Pro users will see in KeyFinder or Belarc Advisor: VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T.

Let’s try this PowerShell script from the Hexus forums on Windows 10 Pro. You should get this: T44CG-JDJH7-VJ2WF-DY4X9-HCFC6. That’s the generic key for build 10240.

Not a real product key to be seen anywhere.
TSmoonhowler
post Oct 3 2015, 05:42 PM

Getting Started
141 posts

QUOTE(Skylinestar @ Oct 3 2015, 01:57 PM)
I did try getting the key , but when I key in in my installation it won't work.

The Microsoft web chat helped solve my prob. Banzai to them
horns
post Oct 3 2015, 07:08 PM

\m/
3,036 posts

QUOTE(moonhowler @ Oct 3 2015, 05:42 PM)
I did try getting the key , but when I key in in my installation it won't work.

The Microsoft web chat helped solve my prob. Banzai to them
that's good to know. you're the second one that i know in this forum that get positive response from ms about this kind of issues. it's good to learn that ms doesn't leave its users in the dark.

bobboy
post Oct 3 2015, 08:25 PM

Getting Started
210 posts

almost same situation like you.. because i want clean install windows..dun want the preinstall software from dell..(make laptop slow)

what i do.. i visit back dell lowyat ( my laptop is dell brand)

at lowyat got dell outlet.. dang.. fix and windows is active

btw my windows from dream spark..

and luckily the installler guy at that outlet friendly.. i call..then they say come visit their outlet.. laugh.gif laugh.gif

btw u can try contact microsoft and ask then where your windows from.. if from dream spark.. call their cs..

https://www.dreamspark.com/

gud luck icon_rolleyes.gif
TSmoonhowler
post Oct 3 2015, 08:46 PM

Getting Started
141 posts

QUOTE(bobboy @ Oct 3 2015, 08:25 PM)
almost same situation like you.. because i want clean install windows..dun want the preinstall software from dell..(make laptop slow)

what i do.. i visit back dell lowyat ( my laptop is dell brand)

at lowyat got dell outlet.. dang.. fix and windows is active

btw my windows from dream spark..

and luckily the installler guy at that outlet friendly.. i call..then they say come visit their outlet..  laugh.gif  laugh.gif

btw u can try contact microsoft and ask then where your windows from.. if from dream spark.. call their cs..

https://www.dreamspark.com/

gud luck  icon_rolleyes.gif
Thanks. Ya I want clean install coz I'm using lenovo, with many preinstalled software really slow it down. First time hear of dreams park.
bobboy
post Oct 3 2015, 08:49 PM

Getting Started
210 posts

QUOTE(moonhowler @ Oct 3 2015, 08:46 PM)
Thanks. Ya I want clean install coz I'm using lenovo, with many preinstalled software really slow it down. First time hear of dreams park.
mostly dream spark bundle with laptop nowdays..

i also just know them..when Microsoft tell me my windows from them

i agree that preinstall software will make laptop slower.. but if already change to ssd.. then dun worry.. fast and smooths.. thumbup.gif

SlamberGamer
post Oct 5 2015, 12:00 AM

Getting Started
128 posts

just download kmspico and activate it.. easier.. less burden
SlamberGamer
post Oct 5 2015, 12:00 AM

Getting Started
128 posts

just download kmspico and activate it.. easier.. less burden
CuteSniper22
post Oct 5 2015, 11:11 AM

Casual
315 posts

Did your all your data inside old hdd still keep as original? (not yet formatted?)
You can try to mirror entire system reserved partition + C: drive from hdd to ssd..
Wth this method, ur win8 within ssd still remained as activated status.
After that , only start upgrade to win10. It should be working~

This works with my desktop, but I never try in laptop..

This post has been edited by CuteSniper22: Oct 5 2015, 11:12 AM

Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0156sec    0.30    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:36 PM