Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

PHP E-Mail notifications with alert("xssvuln"), Contact Form

views

TSMrLabuLabi
post Sep 22 2015, 11:48 AM, updated 9y ago

42 posts

Hi,

I've only just got this web plugin and i am very impressed so far.

One small problem - I'm getting lots of e-mail feedback forma all of a sudden with <script>alert("xssvuln")</script> in all of the fields

Am I doing something wrong or do I have some sort of virus/malware ?

Hack attempy maybe ?

Cheers
angch
post Sep 22 2015, 12:06 PM

On my way
635 posts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross-site_scripting
TSMrLabuLabi
post Sep 22 2015, 12:35 PM

42 posts

QUOTE(angch @ Sep 22 2015, 12:06 PM)
sorry too complicated for me to understand

is that mean the above result show that my website is secure?
angch
post Sep 22 2015, 01:09 PM

On my way
635 posts

Nope. Opposite. Just means you're XSS vulnerable. Insecure. Crap plugin. Don't be so easily impressed.

TSMrLabuLabi
post Sep 22 2015, 01:25 PM

42 posts

QUOTE(angch @ Sep 22 2015, 01:09 PM)
Nope. Opposite. Just means you're XSS vulnerable. Insecure. Crap plugin. Don't be so easily impressed.
perhaps can share with me how to resolve this issue?

i'm not really strong on web security but i can go through the codes and repair any vulnerability as from the above issue

how to strengthen the codes and make it hack proof website from any attacker?
angch
post Sep 22 2015, 01:52 PM

On my way
635 posts

https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Input_Validation_Cheat_Sheet
wKkaY
post Sep 22 2015, 03:12 PM

misutā supākoru
Group Icon
VIP
6,008 posts

QUOTE(angch @ Sep 22 2015, 01:09 PM)
I don't think his plugin is insecure. I think he's getting those junk mails because of scanners looking for vulnerable scripts.

MrLabuLabi As for crap plugin - if this is a probem for you, you should get a plugin which includes captcha verification.
angch
post Sep 22 2015, 07:19 PM

On my way
635 posts

QUOTE(wKkaY @ Sep 22 2015, 03:12 PM)
I don't think his plugin is insecure. I think he's getting those junk mails because of scanners looking for vulnerable scripts.

MrLabuLabi As for crap plugin - if this is a probem for you, you should get a plugin which includes captcha verification.
If his plugin accepts badly formed data, and then sends them in emails, then it's already problematic. Actual XSS is if and when that badly formed data is displayed, and that was what the scanners are looking for, true. Captcha stops bots and scanners, but doesn't stop an actual attack attempt. Bad code, no validation -- this is Codemasters after all.
TSMrLabuLabi
post Sep 22 2015, 07:23 PM

42 posts

QUOTE(wKkaY @ Sep 22 2015, 03:12 PM)

Is that mean that the code is still safe from attacker/hacker?

does implementing capcha verification and input validation can solve this issue?

This post has been edited by MrLabuLabi: Sep 22 2015, 07:23 PM
wKkaY
post Sep 23 2015, 04:36 PM

misutā supākoru
Group Icon
VIP
6,008 posts

QUOTE(angch @ Sep 22 2015, 07:19 PM)
If his plugin accepts badly formed data, and then sends them in emails, then it's already problematic. Actual XSS is if and when that badly formed data is displayed, and that was what the scanners are looking for, true. Captcha stops bots and scanners, but doesn't stop an actual attack attempt. Bad code, no validation -- this is Codemasters after all.
Shrug. What's badly-formed in the case of free-form text? <script> tags are just words with punctuation.

I think what's important is that the output gets formatted/escaped for the intended output (email in this case). And it seems to be doing that, judging from the TS seeing the tags instead of dialog popups.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0151sec    0.40    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:36 PM