Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Issues with Dry Dual Clutch Tranmissions, Ford Focus, Fiesta, VW or Any Other Cars

views

TSSportyHandling
post Oct 2 2015, 10:36 AM

Casual
419 posts

After more than 1 week driving the Ford Focus with the new clutch, I can verify that the gear changes of the Powershift transmission are now very smooth. It doesn't jerk anymore during low speed acceleration. Even if there are jerks, they are very minimal and you don't really feel them. The car is now very nice to drive. However, there is still grinding sound at very low speed, when accelerating from a speed bump say from 0 to 20 km/h.
TSSportyHandling
post Oct 2 2015, 10:39 AM

Casual
419 posts

QUOTE(Boy96 @ Oct 2 2015, 09:36 AM)
Just tested my powershift using sport mode in traffic jam, unlike the VW DSG that shifts up at around 3k rpm, this one shifts at 5.5-6k rpm even when feathering the throttle..
One of the reasons I rarely use Sports mode. The gear does not upshift even when the RPM is shooting high with the engine roaring louder. Seems like this Sports mode is more useful when climbing up hills or steep slopes. For normal driving or high speed cruising, the D is more practical or suitable (unless the Manual mode is used, upshifting the gear manually using the + button on the gear knob when in Sports mode).
ComputerIdiot
post Jan 26 2020, 04:33 PM

Getting Started
168 posts

QUOTE(zweimmk @ Sep 18 2015, 10:29 AM)
VW DSG7

Symptoms:

- Jerky shifts at very low rpm (evident in traffic jams)
- juddering at 1st / 2nd gear. The whole car will feel like it's shaking, not unlike a manual car of the 90s when you upshift too early.

Clutch replacement:

All juddering symptoms gone. Jerky shifts at very low rpm still present but less obvious.

VW by default programs the DSG clutch to upshift to 2nd gear as soon as it is able to. In traffic jam condition, the gear will shift to gear 2 very quickly, even when it is not at ideal speed conditions. This results in very quick clutch wear.

Solution: Driving the DSG in manual mode and upshifting the gears yourself will drastically slow down clutch wear, particularly during traffic jam situations. Switching back to D mode can be done once you are in moderate or clear traffic.
Bro so here's a questiin to ask you.

If I driving in city area where alots of traffic light or jam. For jam as you mention use Manual shift it.

How about city area many stop and go ? Im thinking drive with S MODE ALL THE TIME for city area... when red light turn to N...Green light S mode all the way in city area. If going to highway which is traffic clear after speed above 70kmph change back to D and it ll automatically shift to D7.

By default the D mode is always shift up every 10kmph...For example 50kmph it ll hit D5...60 hit D6...so in city area I think keep it remain S mode all the time.

By logic this reduce clutch wear but will it damage the gearbox faster ? If yes no point to protect the clutch.
EnergyAnalyst
post Jan 29 2020, 05:10 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,275 posts

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/ford-fie...uit-settlement/

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a30689585...ission-lawsuit/

Ford Settling with Focus, Fiesta Owners over Troublesome Dual-Clutch Transmission
The automaker will pay a minimum of $30 million cash to reimburse owners of the small cars made between 2011 and 2016, who complain about repeated failed repairs.
kiats123 P
post Jan 29 2020, 09:29 PM

Probation
27 posts

Am experiencing the same with my Golf 2018.

Jerking when going through bumps and during traffic jams. What I usually do to avoid this is to accelerate more to stay at D2 (so that it won't fall at D1 and stuck in between D1 and D2 - hence the jerking).

Also, not sure if you guys also experience the same when pressing the accelerator "too much" from complete standstill at the traffic light with brake hold set as active?

Please do share...

andrekua2
post Jan 31 2020, 07:56 AM

10k Club
All Stars
12,489 posts

QUOTE(EnergyAnalyst @ Jan 29 2020, 05:10 PM)
https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/ford-fie...uit-settlement/

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a30689585...ission-lawsuit/

Ford Settling with Focus, Fiesta Owners over Troublesome Dual-Clutch Transmission
The automaker will pay a minimum of $30 million cash to reimburse owners of the small cars made between 2011 and 2016, who complain about repeated failed repairs.
In the USA only... LOL

I also get Yahoo settlement email in my gmail every now and then but when you open the pdf, it will say only applicable to residents of USA.

I want to see what Hyundai and Kia owners experience with their DCT.

This post has been edited by andrekua2: Jan 31 2020, 07:56 AM
EnergyAnalyst
post Jan 31 2020, 08:39 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,275 posts

QUOTE(andrekua2 @ Jan 31 2020, 07:56 AM)
In the USA only... LOL

I also get Yahoo settlement email in my gmail every now and then but when you open the pdf, it will say only applicable to residents of USA.

I want to see what Hyundai and Kia owners experience with their DCT.
Shorter end of the stick. To this date and age , we are still getting that.. Perhaps Ford Fiesta and Focus owners in South East Asia should just gang up.to take class actions too.
Lanchio
post Jan 31 2020, 02:18 PM

Casual
347 posts

QUOTE(EnergyAnalyst @ Jan 31 2020, 08:39 AM)
Shorter end of the stick. To this date and age , we are still getting that.. Perhaps Ford Fiesta and Focus owners in South East Asia should just gang up.to take class actions too.
291 Thai Ford owners already won a class action suit back in September 2018.
Bangkok Post news article
EnergyAnalyst
post Jan 31 2020, 04:22 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,275 posts

QUOTE(Lanchio @ Jan 31 2020, 02:18 PM)
291 Thai Ford owners already won a class action suit back in September 2018.
Bangkok Post news article
Wow. 2018 some more. So what is Malaysian buyers doing ?
TSSportyHandling
post Feb 3 2020, 01:19 PM

Casual
419 posts

QUOTE(EnergyAnalyst @ Jan 31 2020, 04:22 PM)
Wow. 2018 some more. So what is Malaysian buyers doing ?
In the Thailand case, it appears that the owners had paid for the cost of repairs of the dual-clutch transmission, hence it is comprehensible that they had taken the case to court for the reimbursement or compensation of money/time lost. Here in Malaysia, the repairs of the dual-clutch are carried by Sime Darby free of charge within 7 years for cars bought in 2013 or earlier, 6 years for cars bought 2014 or later.

So after this warranty period for the dual clutch is over, owners are on their own, using their own pocket money to fix the jerkiness of the dual-clutch transmission. What Child of Guzman wrote is correct. The trait of the dual-clutch transmission in the Ford Focus is such that it will always show some of the jerkiness during changes in gear. It's just a matter of severity, whether it's mild, moderate or severe jerkiness when the gear is upshifting or downshifting. Even though the gear is showing moderate to severe jerkiness, the vehicle can still be driven as normal. It's more to the tolerance level of the driver. A mild jerkiness to someone can be regarded as a severe jerkiness to another person, or vice versa. It's quite subjective.
TSSportyHandling
post Feb 3 2020, 01:21 PM

Casual
419 posts

"The court’s ruling read out on Friday ordered the subsidiary of Ford Motor to pay 291 customers compensation in a range between 20,000 and 200,000 baht each, plus a 7.5% interest rate a year, for repair costs and lost time."

20,000 baht = RM2,600
200,000 baht = RM26,000.

That sounds quite about right as from what I was told, one(1) clutch replacement costs about RM3k.
Zaryl
post Feb 3 2020, 02:24 PM

Hardcore Casual Gamer
1,523 posts

I wonder how DCT would fare for honda city & jazz hybrids i-DCD batch?
EddyHyip
post May 17 2020, 11:03 PM

Casual
359 posts

I have been driving a Ford Focus 2.0 DCT for the past 6 years. First 3 years was quite horrible as I had to return to service centre multiple times to complain and got my clutch replaced 3 times in total plus some software updates.
Since my last change and update in 2016, I have not been having issues with the DCT. The drive is good and too bad damage is done- the car resale value is just tarnished by the early hiccups. It is good to buy a used focus now. I'm planning to keep mine forever as long as I still have covered car park!
EnergyAnalyst
post Sep 19 2020, 11:48 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,275 posts

https://www.malaymail.com/news/malaysia/202...-defect/1886193

VW has recalled, what about others?

4 Pages « < 2 3 4Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0149sec    0.12    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:33 AM