Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Humanities PhD education - where can study beside public uni?

views

TSchienx
post Sep 17 2015, 06:20 AM, updated 9y ago

Getting Started
205 posts

Any one hav info about PhD in edu for oversea u/ local college? To do it part time or attend weekend classes if local college.
SUSGregyong
post Sep 17 2015, 06:36 AM

Regular
1,167 posts

back in my day, we call it arts
haturaya
post Sep 17 2015, 07:11 AM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
Elite
2,469 posts

QUOTE(chienx @ Sep 17 2015, 06:20 AM)
Any one hav info about PhD in edu for oversea u/ local college? To do it part time or attend weekend classes if local college.
What specific area? You need to find a potential supervisor to begin with. Then narrow down to the knowledge domain that you'd want to pursue.

PhD no class. It's pure research.
Blofeld
post Sep 21 2015, 10:04 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,457 posts

AeU / OUM in Malaysia
TSchienx
post Sep 21 2015, 08:30 PM

Getting Started
205 posts

QUOTE(haturaya @ Sep 17 2015, 07:11 AM)
What specific area? You need to find a potential supervisor to begin with. Then narrow down to the knowledge domain that you'd want to pursue.

In education or management.
Is there any Doc degree that come with mix mode?
haturaya
post Sep 21 2015, 08:34 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
Elite
2,469 posts

QUOTE(chienx @ Sep 21 2015, 08:30 PM)
Nope. PhD - Doctor of Philosophy. Means you reach the ability to be an independent researcher. Able to conduct / spearhead a research on your own.

Pre PhD class such as research method, critical literature review, etc normally a must within certain uni (e.g. UPM that I know of). It's NOT the PhD study yet whistling.gif It's just a preparation classes for you to embark the journey.

This post has been edited by haturaya: Sep 21 2015, 08:35 PM
Blofeld
post Sep 21 2015, 09:00 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,457 posts

QUOTE(chienx @ Sep 21 2015, 08:30 PM)
If you want a "mix-mode" type for doctoral level, you can look up at DBA (Doctor of Business Administration) or EdD (Doctor of Education).

If you have to attend classes, do assignments, and the final component is a thesis. Some DBAs even require you to do real-life consultation.
TSchienx
post Sep 22 2015, 12:14 AM

Getting Started
205 posts

QUOTE(Blofeld @ Sep 21 2015, 09:00 PM)
If you want a "mix-mode" type for doctoral level, you can look up at DBA (Doctor of Business Administration) or EdD (Doctor of Education).

If you have to attend classes, do assignments, and the final component is a thesis. Some DBAs even require you to do real-life consultation.
Any EdD course in Malaysia?or DBA from local college tat link with oversea uni?

This post has been edited by chienx: Sep 22 2015, 12:15 AM
Blofeld
post Sep 22 2015, 12:17 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,457 posts

QUOTE(chienx @ Sep 22 2015, 12:14 AM)
Any EdD course in Malaysia?or DBA from local college tat link with oversea uni?
I think you have to find that out yourself because I don't know the courses offered by each individual university.
TSchienx
post Sep 22 2015, 01:19 PM

Getting Started
205 posts

QUOTE(Blofeld @ Sep 22 2015, 12:17 AM)
I think you have to find that out yourself because I don't know the courses offered by each individual university.
In the process of searching adi..
cheahcw2003
post Sep 22 2015, 10:14 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,379 posts

QUOTE(chienx @ Sep 22 2015, 01:19 PM)
In the process of searching adi..
there is no short cut to find the info that only you yourself know what you want.
Especially you are talking about PhD research degree.
re-search means search and search...
TSchienx
post Sep 23 2015, 08:18 AM

Getting Started
205 posts

QUOTE(cheahcw2003 @ Sep 22 2015, 10:14 PM)
there is no short cut to find the info that only you yourself know what you want.
Especially you are talking about PhD research degree.
re-search means search and search...
Haha
Ya I aware about this. Just in case anyone of you have this to share as extra resource. Already contacted and liase with few source earlier and in d process of identify which to go.smile.gif
cheahcw2003
post Sep 23 2015, 02:50 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,379 posts

QUOTE(chienx @ Sep 23 2015, 08:18 AM)
Haha
Ya I aware about this. Just in case anyone of you have this to share as extra resource. Already contacted and liase with few source earlier and in d process of identify which to go.smile.gif
No problem. I am now with Monash Sunway.
You may try other private Uni such as Nottingham, Taylor U, Sunway U, unirazak, and etc.
patryn33
post Apr 8 2016, 09:53 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,940 posts

QUOTE(haturaya @ Sep 17 2015, 07:11 AM)

How come this has class? No standard?
https://mgmt.wharton.upenn.edu/programs/phd/phd-curriculum/

http://www.hbs.edu/doctoral/areas-of-study...es/default.aspx

This post has been edited by patryn33: Apr 8 2016, 09:55 AM
haturaya
post Apr 8 2016, 12:08 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
Elite
2,469 posts

QUOTE(patryn33 @ Apr 8 2016, 09:53 AM)
That normally to prepare you towards the research that you'll be doing. Some uni do have compulsory class like in UPM. Some don't. That class doesn't count towards your PhD awards. It's compulsory to pass / attend to proceed the PhD study. Weird eh... heheheh

For example, in US, normally you have to attend and pass a year worth of class before you will be admitted as PhD student. Before that state, you're just PhD candidate. Anybody can be PhD candidate, but not everyone can be PhD student.

In Australia, normally you don't have viva (oral exam), just submit your thesis to be examined.

Different uni / country have different flavour of how the PhD is being conducted. rclxub.gif

patryn33
post Apr 8 2016, 10:42 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,940 posts

QUOTE(haturaya @ Apr 8 2016, 12:08 PM)
That normally to prepare you towards the research that you'll be doing. Some uni do have compulsory class like in UPM. Some don't. That class doesn't count towards your PhD awards. It's compulsory to pass / attend to proceed the PhD study. Weird eh... heheheh

For example, in US, normally you have to attend and pass a year worth of class before you will be admitted as PhD student. Before that state, you're just PhD candidate. Anybody can be PhD candidate, but not everyone can be PhD student.

In Australia, normally you don't have viva (oral exam), just submit your thesis to be examined.

Different uni / country have different flavour of how the PhD is being conducted.  rclxub.gif
well American programs are generally longer than other English system.
generally its 2 yr worth of classes... one need to pass those class with a min of B or 80% and sit of qualifying exam. passing the exams from those classes does not automatically get U there.

oral exam in most case is just a formality even its done for most parts of the world.

in most case submit thesis and be done.
better uni expects thesis to be publish on a big international platform, then one can submit thesis.. in this case the submission is more formality. others is submit and prof felt its publishable quality then get it publish very optional.
depending on Prof there maybe a expectation on publication b4 submitting a thesis too, its very complex.. really depends on Prof in the states.

yes diff countries has very diff req. our Queen system generally easier and shorter.
then again when a student is done, does it look good with a thesis or someone with a couple or dozen of publications.
haturaya
post Apr 10 2016, 09:37 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
Elite
2,469 posts

QUOTE(patryn33 @ Apr 8 2016, 10:42 PM)
well American programs are generally longer than other English system.
generally its 2 yr worth of classes... one need to pass those class with a min of B or 80% and sit of qualifying exam. passing the exams from those classes does not automatically get U there.

oral exam in most case is just a formality even its done for most parts of the world.

in most case submit thesis and be done.
better uni expects thesis to be publish on a big international platform, then one can submit thesis.. in this case the submission is more formality. others is submit and prof felt its publishable quality then get it publish very optional.
depending on Prof there maybe a expectation on publication b4 submitting a thesis too, its very complex.. really depends on Prof in the states.

yes diff countries has very diff req. our Queen system generally easier and shorter.
then again when a student is done, does it look good with a thesis or someone with a couple or dozen of publications.
So, you have your PhD as well? If you have, which system did you finish up with? Just wondering... thumbup.gif
yashin
post May 6 2016, 10:49 PM

Getting Started
147 posts

Malaysian/ local PhD and EdD relatively cheap. How about quality?
Blofeld
post May 7 2016, 11:57 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,457 posts

QUOTE(yashin @ May 6 2016, 10:49 PM)
Malaysian/ local PhD and EdD relatively cheap. How about quality?
Quality in terms of?

No doubt, the ranking of the local public universities are lower compared to foreign universities (I meant the top tier foreign universities). It's even worst for the local private universities.

Quality of supervision depends on the supervisors. You can get hardworking/competent supervisors or lazy/incompetent supervisors. Don't be surprised that you could meet lazy/incompetent supervisors even in a foreign university.

So, choose your supervisor wisely.

I have seen local thesis being written more rigorously compared to thesis found from foreign universities. So, the quality also depends on the students themselves.

Another thing is the library resource. I notice that foreign universities have wider access to online library resources.

Assuming other factors are equal, it all boils down to the university ranking.

This post has been edited by Blofeld: May 7 2016, 12:08 PM

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0165sec    0.28    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:11 AM