Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

The Official iPad Pro discussion thread v1

views

G-17
post Nov 11 2015, 07:06 PM

Securely Paranoid
1,748 posts

QUOTE(Reventon @ Nov 11 2015, 05:57 PM)
I think their target customer will be those professional. Price also a bit higher side.
Still waiting for truly professional aps though. All the current Adobe iOS apps, for example, you still need to export your work to the OS X or Windows versions to finish up and print/publish.

G-17
post Nov 11 2015, 08:14 PM

Securely Paranoid
1,748 posts

QUOTE(sunyen @ Nov 11 2015, 07:32 PM)
Procreate 3 is all the app i need wink.gif
Good for you. Unfortunately I need a lot more than that to put food on the table.

G-17
post Nov 12 2015, 11:29 PM

Securely Paranoid
1,748 posts

Been reading a lot about the iPad Pro these last 48 hours. For now, I'll pass.

Part of my job requires illustrations as well, but right now, I don't have an iOS version of Corel Painter or equivalent. Same for Adobe Illustrator - their iOS sketching apps are good for rough prototyping and initial stages, but you still need to export to the desktop via Adobe CC to finish the job and have it ready for printing/publishing. That's where the iPad Pro truly fails at Pro, imho. No true desktop replacement applications that allow me to start and (more importantly) finish a job that I can send to the print lab or magazine editor straight away. No (afaik) iOS solution for color management and screen calibration. No proper drivers for large format Epson, HP, Lambda, etc giclee printers.

To add to that, iOS multitasking still has a long ways to go before it can even be deemed workable. Heck, even now we still get that bloody Tips icon in the pane. Who the hell even uses Tips after their first day on iOS?!

So yeah, TL;DR - it might be great for some people with very specific needs, but for a lot of people in advertising, design, photography, etc - it's barely useable. Not that a Surface Pro is that much better, but at least you can install full Photoshop or Corel Painter on a Surface Pro. Until Apple get software houses to release full desktop class suites that allow me to do everything in the iPad Pro and ditch OS X, it'll just be a bigger iPad. The most it can do is work as a graphic tablet with Astropad, but in that department my Wacom + Airbrush pens would completely obliterate it for photo retouching work.

I really hope that changes in the coming months, because I've grown sick of OS X. But as of right now, I can't justify company money on it.

This post has been edited by G-17: Nov 12 2015, 11:31 PM

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0400sec    0.25    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:59 PM