Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Hardware Hide Wifi SSID causing connection issue?, Cannot connect/dropped

views

TSkevyeoh
post Aug 29 2015, 10:18 PM, updated 9y ago

Look at all my stars!!
4,526 posts

Hi all,

Today I bought Aztech Wifi Extender and since I was setting it up, i just decide to try hide the SSID for my wifi router as well as the new Aztech Wifi Extender.

Eventually, my Aztech Wifi Extender will have dropped signal and cannot detect my main wifi...and then my laptop which is supposed to connect to the extended wifi, also cannot detect/reconnect to the hidden wifi.

My question, is this normal for hidden Wifi SSID, you will always have connection issue? Is there any particular setup i need to do to ensure my laptop/mobile phones as well as the Wifi Extender will be able to detect the hidden wifi signal ?

I have since changed/reverted to broadcasting my wifi....but just trying to hide the Wifi SSID to improve security...

thanks!
havocx
post Aug 30 2015, 12:12 AM

The Last Fat Samurai
1,913 posts

Ive gone through hiding SSID's before as well but similar problems like what youve experienced cropped up.
This perhaps would be a good read. Myth that hiding your SSID makes your Wireless more secure.
Hope it helps smile.gif
UserU
post Aug 30 2015, 12:16 AM

CSONLINE2.NET - FREE COUNTER-STRIKE
Group Icon
Elite
5,013 posts

QUOTE(kevyeoh @ Aug 29 2015, 10:18 PM)
Hi all,

Today I bought Aztech Wifi Extender and since I was setting it up, i just decide to try hide the SSID for my wifi router as well as the new Aztech Wifi Extender.

Eventually, my Aztech Wifi Extender will have dropped signal and cannot detect my main wifi...and then my laptop which is supposed to connect to the extended wifi, also cannot detect/reconnect to the hidden wifi.

My question, is this normal for hidden Wifi SSID, you will always have connection issue? Is there any particular setup i need to do to ensure my laptop/mobile phones as well as the Wifi Extender will be able to detect the hidden wifi signal ?

I have since changed/reverted to broadcasting my wifi....but just trying to hide the Wifi SSID to improve security...

thanks!
Chances of getting hacked with a visible SSID is low, unless your password is very easy to crack or short. So what you need to do is to use a WPA2-Personal along with AES combo. You can just setup and forget.

I used to hide the SSID for the same reason, but it proves to bring more nuisance than good especially if you plan to add devices to the network and if the connection drops for any one of them.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0107sec    0.19    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:24 PM