Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

[GUIDE] Lenovo Custom Factory Image Recovery, for SSD/HDD replacement

views

TSNetto Hikari
post Aug 19 2015, 02:27 AM, updated 7y ago

Solution Architect?
2,394 posts

Hi All,

After trial and error from various sources. Just to gather all sources and combine into 1. This is tested in my newly sold Lenovo Ideapad 100 for a customer that wanted to convert its 500GB HDD to 128GB SSD. biggrin.gif

This is mainly for all Lenovo laptops that comes with Windows 8/8.1 pre-installed.

Preparation:
1. Google OKR8 engineering ISO (thep*****bay) to get it.
2. Get a thumbdrive (8GB/16GB/larger) and make a bootable USB from the OKR8 ISO file. I used rufus2.2 for the bootable USB. but you can use any method that you know works. Note: it doesnt work on DVD
3. Copy down the Windows 8/8.1 product key (you can get this freeware: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html)
4. Download Windows 8/8.1 (please make sure to use correct version (Standard/Single Language) else the product key wont work). Microsoft official website download
Either burn it to DVD or use Official Windows USB bootable software.
5. Download all the needed drivers for your Lenovo laptop and any software that you want to pre-installed.

Section1 (Editing OKR8):
diskpart script editing that fits your SSD size, in my case, its 128GB (about 120000MB)
edit the file create.ini, it is located at this path G:\okr8\create.ini (G:\ is my removable USB)
Attached Image

The partition total has
1. WINRE_DRV 300MB
2. LRS_ESP 500MB
3. Windows8_OS 9600MB
4. Lenovo (~5000MB + any leftover from above)
5. Recovery Partition (20000MB, reserve about 8GB for your recovery files to be store, it increases as you pre-install more softwares)

Make sure that the total size of above does NOT exceed your SSD total size, else it will fail.

CODE
select disk 0
clean
convert gpt
create partition primary size=300
format quick fs=ntfs label="WINRE_DRV"
assign letter="T"
set id="de94bba4-06d1-4d40-a16a-bfd50179d6ac"
gpt attributes=0x8000000000000001
create partition efi size=100
format quick fs=fat32 label="System"
assign letter="S"
create partition primary size=500
format quick fs=fat32 label="LRS_ESP"
assign letter="Q"
create partition msr size=128
create partition primary size=96000
format quick fs=ntfs label="Windows8_OS"
assign letter="W"
create partition primary
format quick fs=ntfs label="Lenovo"
assign letter="O"
shrink minimum=20000
create partition primary
format quick fs=ntfs label="PBR_DRV"
assign letter="R"
set id="de94bba4-06d1-4d40-a16a-bfd50179d6ac"
list volume
select disk 0
list partition
sel par 3
set id="BFBFAFE7-A34F-448A-9A5B-6213EB736C22"
assign letter="Q"
list volume
exit

Section 2 (Installation of OKR8 & Windows)
1. Full shutdown of your Lenovo
2. Use a pin, press the NOVO button to go to BIOS.
3. Change boot to legacy, save changes, shutdown again.
4. NOVO button again, boot from your USB.
5. Just wait for it to boot, than you will see a dialog box with chinese words (no idea how to change, but doesnt matter). Just checked/tick the only box there, then proceed with the button to start.
Attached Image
6. Once it is done, it will notify you to restart. Remove the USB when the screen is blank.
7. Let it boot to OKR. If it doesnt boot to OKR, it means the recovery partition was not created, reduce the Windows8_OS size in the create.ini file again until it works.
8. Install Windows the usual way, make sure to install in Windows8_OS partition.
9. Once windows installation completed and on the first screen when boot up, enter to audit mode (ctrl + shift + fn + f3 / ctrl + shift + f3)
10. Here you will be installing all your driver and pre-load any software you like as Administrator
11. Once done and everything, OOBE and shutdown options.

Section 3 (Create initial backup)
1. NOVO button again, select "System Recovery"
2. Once you are in OKR environment, ctrl + shift + o to bring out the X CMD terminal out.
3. type "diskpart" than "list volume"
Attached Image
4. get your pbr_drv letter, in the sample above its, drive k
5. type "exit" to quit diskpart
6. go to k:\onekey\osimage
7. type "osimage /nopbr" and followed by "osimage /fb". this will clean up and start the initial backup of the HDD/SSD to the recovery partition.
8. once it done, estimate about 15minutes, exit and shutdown.
9. NOVO button again and enter "System Recovery" again to test the restore. if everything is working correctly, it should be able to restore without error.

CONGRATULATION!!! you just re-make your own Lenovo custom recovery image.

Credit & Resources:
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-P-Y-and...ll/td-p/2095412
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Yoga-Se...ng/td-p/1829369

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Thronic
post Nov 6 2015, 08:45 AM

1 posts

Thanks for this clear guide, it helped me out by filling a few gaps. I've been beating on a B50-30 for almost a week now trying to piece together damaged partitions (not bad enough that it came with Bing edition). Then tried OKR7 but the one I could find was non-UEFI. After 3 OS installations I finally got this one to work (before reading your guide). It's obviously a very important step to let it boot back into OKR to let it complete entirely before proceeding with OS installation, or else it will just boot straight to OS when using NOVO.

It would be awesome if there was some way to make it work on non-Lenovo computers as well that does not have a Novo button. E.g. F11 or another button instead. Some software that could point boot in the right direction by easy choice.

This post has been edited by Thronic: Nov 6 2015, 08:47 AM
TSNetto Hikari
post Nov 7 2015, 03:23 AM

Solution Architect?
2,394 posts

QUOTE(Thronic @ Nov 6 2015, 08:45 AM)
Thanks for this clear guide, it helped me out by filling a few gaps. I've been beating on a B50-30 for almost a week now trying to piece together damaged partitions (not bad enough that it came with Bing edition). Then tried OKR7 but the one I could find was non-UEFI. After 3 OS installations I finally got this one to work (before reading your guide). It's obviously a very important step to let it boot back into OKR to let it complete entirely before proceeding with OS installation, or else it will just boot straight to OS when using NOVO.

It would be awesome if there was some way to make it work on non-Lenovo computers as well that does not have a Novo button. E.g. F11 or another button instead. Some software that could point boot in the right direction by easy choice.
for HP, there used to be the HP recovery tools that can be easily downloaded from their website, but it seems to be outdated now. cant seems to find any new version of it.
fluotone
post May 12 2017, 12:42 AM

street.cat.tales
2,623 posts

Sorry if I'm bumping an old thread. I just wanted to share for those out there in my situation:

Since I only wanted to resize my partitions on my Lenovo Yoga 3.

What I did was, used Paragon Partition Manager.
> Resized my "C/OS" drive smaller
> Resized "D/Data" drive larger

Then started from step 4.
4. get your pbr_drv letter, in the sample above its, drive k

Thank you TS for sharing!!
thumbup.gif
MSG Looney
post Jul 21 2017, 11:07 PM

1 posts

hi i have a lenovo yoga 2 11 and it will not boot norma start up or through the novo button and system recovery any ideas?
TSNetto Hikari
post Jul 22 2017, 03:35 PM

Solution Architect?
2,394 posts

QUOTE(MSG Looney @ Jul 21 2017, 11:07 PM)
hi i have a lenovo yoga 2 11 and it will not boot norma start up or through the novo button and system recovery any ideas?
plz go and ask in technical subforum.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0124sec    0.40    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:28 PM