Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

New dad, need advise., Come share your experience please.

views

TSZozi
post Aug 11 2015, 02:30 PM, updated 7y ago

On my way
658 posts

Hi everyone,

Imma be a dad soon, the cupcake is now almost 7 weeks old. I am very happy and also very worry at the same time. I am sure you can all imagine. My wife is now at the stage where things are beginning to look, smell, taste, feel differently than they used to be. Actually, i don't even know what I don't know yet. So please, any advise on anything that I should be on the look out would be appreciated. What do I need to know about taking care of my wife now ? Any pre-baby preparation ? Any courses for parenting ? (i live in PJ), anything I should be worried or shouldn't be ? icon_question.gif icon_question.gif
fireballs
post Aug 11 2015, 02:33 PM

5,627 posts

do nothing. enjoy your last moment of freedom
when its closer to mid term baru panic
g_kw2
post Aug 11 2015, 02:34 PM

Casual
316 posts

just relax and wait for your child to be born...
TSZozi
post Aug 11 2015, 02:37 PM

On my way
658 posts

QUOTE(fireballs @ Aug 11 2015, 02:33 PM)
do nothing. enjoy your last moment of freedom
when its closer to mid term baru panic
QUOTE(g_kw2 @ Aug 11 2015, 02:34 PM)
just relax and wait for your child to be born...
betui ke ni gais, y i always feel like I should be doing something or worried about something.... whenever I tried to relax I always remember "HOI dah ada babeyyyy kenot liddis anymore..must change.." but to what? I don't know.. sometimes seeing my wife like feeling uncomfortable and stuffs and Idk how to help her.
ada7914
post Aug 11 2015, 02:39 PM

Getting Started
153 posts

just relax and chill and hope the morning sickness is with her not on you(coz some couple the guy get the morning sickness rather than wife)...baby preparation only do after 6 month la...coz org tua cakap after sick month baru strong..coz anything can happen b4 6 month...ask her to be more carefully when step after bathroom, stairs or crossing longkang...seem lauya but it can upset u when things happen..

other than that...enjoy life for both of u before newcomers coming coz it will be diffrent than...*and also read a lot on post deliver (read somewhere the wife@mother can be off or insane for a short period of time due to strees and pain)...
cc980024
post Aug 11 2015, 02:41 PM

Casual
492 posts

To start off, make sure don't let her carry heavy stuff even laundry. And don't let her mop the floor (slippery). Sweeping is ok as a light exercise if she not tired. This was the 1st advise gynae given us during my 1st check-up.

As for food, eat according to her appetite since is just starting. Is very normal that she no longer able to taste/smell the food that she used to love. Sometimes even looking at it feel wanna throw up. And she could be craving for food that she hate before. All the best.
Incase she fancy sour, remind her not to over-eat on sour food. During my time craving for sour, I had sour fish with assamboi.. so nice. But after the meal.. my tongue feel bad. tongue.gif

This post has been edited by cc980024: Aug 11 2015, 02:43 PM
pitkalsar
post Aug 11 2015, 02:44 PM

Getting Started
89 posts

just help out your wife on everything. do the household chores. make sure she eats healthy food, with the medicine given by doc, and own supplement milk. they may forgot once in a while,that's why you need to keep track on those things.
jamesteoh8177
post Aug 11 2015, 02:49 PM

Casual
465 posts

QUOTE(Zozi @ Aug 11 2015, 02:30 PM)
Hi everyone,

Imma be a dad soon, the cupcake is now almost 7 weeks old. I am very happy and also very worry at the same time. I am sure you can all imagine. My wife is now at the stage where things are beginning to look, smell, taste, feel differently than they used to be. Actually, i don't even know what I don't know yet. So please, any advise on anything that I should be on the look out would be appreciated. What do I need to know about taking care of my wife now ? Any pre-baby preparation ? Any courses for parenting ? (i live in PJ), anything I should be worried or shouldn't be ?  icon_question.gif  icon_question.gif
congrats and relax bro...
just go with the flow...

u start to worry and she will get worried even more...

apart from being a nice and understanding husband, there is nothing much u can do...
be nice to ur wife, pamper her more...spend more quality time with her. if ur staying with ur parents or in laws, get some tips on parenting from them...

pre-natal classes are available in SJMC but don't go so early, my wife and I attended the pre-natal classes in SJMC too back in 2012. we sign-up for the class after her second trimester.
placenta
post Aug 11 2015, 02:52 PM

Getting Started
172 posts

1 thing you have to be prepared. you will love the baby more than everything you have ever loved.
TSZozi
post Aug 11 2015, 03:17 PM

On my way
658 posts

QUOTE(ada7914 @ Aug 11 2015, 02:39 PM)
just relax and chill and hope the morning sickness is with her not on you(coz some couple the guy get the morning sickness rather than wife)...baby preparation only do after 6 month la...coz org tua cakap after sick month baru strong..coz anything can happen b4 6 month...ask her to be more carefully when step after bathroom, stairs or crossing longkang...seem lauya but it can upset u when things happen..

other than that...enjoy life for both of u before newcomers coming coz it will be diffrent than...*and also read a lot on post deliver (read somewhere the wife@mother can be off or insane for a short period of time due to strees and pain)...
Thank you thank you, Shes already experiencing the nausea now, but she also kept saying that her stomach felt like alot of "air" inside. So maybe that could be the cause also hmm.gif

QUOTE(cc980024 @ Aug 11 2015, 02:41 PM)
To start off, make sure don't let her carry heavy stuff even laundry. And don't let her mop the floor (slippery). Sweeping is ok as a light exercise if she not tired. This was the 1st advise gynae given us during my 1st check-up.

As for food, eat according to her appetite since is just starting. Is very normal that she no longer able to taste/smell the food that she used to love. Sometimes even looking at it feel wanna throw up. And she could be craving for food that she hate before. All the best.
Incase she fancy sour, remind her not to over-eat on sour food. During my time craving for sour, I had sour fish with assamboi.. so nice. But after the meal.. my tongue feel bad. tongue.gif
Thanks! She's also saying that she could feel her self feeling hungry but the appetite isn't there. Hard to eat when she kept feel like throwing up. Did you experience that as well ?

QUOTE(pitkalsar @ Aug 11 2015, 02:44 PM)
just help out your wife on everything. do the household chores. make sure she eats healthy food, with the medicine given by doc, and own supplement milk. they may forgot once in a while,that's why you need to keep track on those things.
We bought a can of Enfamama milk the other day, I wonder if 6 weeks+ is a little too early to start consuming ? Or it doesnt matter? Thanks in advance!

QUOTE(jamesteoh8177 @ Aug 11 2015, 02:49 PM)
congrats and relax bro...
just go with the flow...

u start to worry and she will get worried even more...

apart from being a nice and understanding husband, there is nothing much u can do...
be nice to ur wife, pamper her more...spend more quality time with her. if ur staying with ur parents or in laws, get some tips on parenting from them...

pre-natal classes are available in SJMC but don't go so early, my wife and I attended the pre-natal classes in SJMC too back in 2012. we sign-up for the class after her second trimester.
Thanks bro, I'll go check out what SJMC has that I could learn from. I'm already doing my best to pamper her blush.gif sakit hati gak sometimes see her like struggling. My parents are the very open minded type and tells me to go search online for baby tips LOL.

QUOTE(placenta @ Aug 11 2015, 02:52 PM)
1 thing you have to be prepared. you will love the baby more than everything you have ever loved.
Thanks man, I can already feel it now. thumbup.gif

Thanks everyone for your replies.
cc980024
post Aug 11 2015, 03:45 PM

Casual
492 posts

QUOTE(Zozi @ Aug 11 2015, 03:17 PM)
Thanks! She's also saying that she could feel her self feeling hungry but the appetite isn't there. Hard to eat when she kept feel like throwing up. Did you experience that as well ? 
Quite similar to me at some point. But I am not hungry, just craving for sour food, yet always feel something stuck at the throat like wanna throw out but actually never vomit at all. tongue.gif
If she don't feel like swallowing, can try eat light meals and eat more frequent (short hour gaps), so tat it won't upset her hungry stomach, as well as easier to get through her throat.
jamesteoh8177
post Aug 11 2015, 04:04 PM

Casual
465 posts

u and ur wife to start some small talk with ur baby, simple things / topics like:
mummy is going to work today or daddy is going to work now and blah blah... think of something, I mean baby talks...
talk to ur baby in the evening while u guys are watching tv before u guys go to bed...
sleep early cos ur baby will be adopting ur wife's sleep pattern too and it will help a lot after ur wife delivers...

most important of all, don't get urself over pressured and ur wife too...

goose|dump
post Aug 11 2015, 05:13 PM

5 posts

enjoy ur life as a husband when the time comes keep smiles. haha
sunfl0w3r
post Aug 12 2015, 11:19 AM

17 posts

just spend more time with your wife. enjoy being a 2 person team while you still can. bring her out for dates and pamper her. Make sure she eats healthy food and encourage her to do light exercises.
You can even bring her on a short holiday during second trimester.
waiting for my 1st child now also.. i think the thing i will miss most after delivery is going on movie dates with my husband.. sad.gif
hanishoney
post Aug 12 2015, 11:43 AM

Getting Started
299 posts

Sign up for prenatal classes when your wife is around 30 weeks. It's like a crash course on how to help your wife give birth and take care of baby. My husband and I took a really good one run by Jenlia (google Jenlia); really covered everything.

In the meantime, can check out BabyCenter Malaysia and sign up for weekly e-mails about your wife's pregnancy and how the baby growing inside her.

This post has been edited by hanishoney: Aug 12 2015, 11:44 AM
TSZozi
post Aug 13 2015, 12:37 AM

On my way
658 posts

Need to throw this on the table, as more and more people found out we're having a baby soon, everyone started doing their part in advising us about food. This cannot eat lah, that cannot eat lah, I understand they meant well but its honestly becoming more and more unbearable. I also don't want my wife to worry about what they said , so did you guys observe any strict diet ? Or just eat anything but keep the volume checked? Anything in particular that we really MUST avoid ? Thanks !

P.S Asked the doctor, doc just say eat anything but avoid spicy food and dont eat too much of anything.
vandoren
post Aug 13 2015, 08:41 AM

Casual
488 posts

For food, my doctor only remind me not to eat sashimi, means those uncooked raw meat, because it may have bacteria which will bring harm to baby.

Other thing, just eat moderately, i even eat watermelon (old ppl said too cold for pregnant mummy), pineapple. Everything moderately is ok.
powdersnow
post Aug 13 2015, 11:48 AM

39 posts

Has she started folic acid supplementation? Important to reduce birth defects.

http://www.babycenter.com/0_folic-acid-why...regnancy_476.bc
cc980024
post Aug 13 2015, 11:55 AM

Casual
492 posts

Rule of thumb of coz to eat balance meal. But it depends on individual what they choose to eat. Good or bad, follow advise or not, is yourself to decide coz the baby is yours.

Whether to believe what the elderly advise, is your own accountability. We can't say much about it.

As for myself, when I have craving strikes on certain food .. I will just eat it but luck not much craving. But since I prepare my own pack lunch to work, and cook dinner too. I prepare healthy food.

And since I know I can't rely on anyone to take care of me when I get sick, and I don't want to take any medication and supplement during pregnancy. Hence, I am very careful with food to make sure that whole 40 weeks I catch no cold, no fever, no cough, no high BP, no raise sugar level, no skin allergy, no food poisoning, etc. I check my food to ensure zero risk of getting myself sick. biggrin.gif

Infact I goes up to the level that my soup without salt, my drinks without sugar, and many more. But I want to do it for myself, not due to anyone advise. Infact my mom told me that pregnant can eat anything that you like.. but for myself.. I do the other way round.

Anyway, just do the pregnancy journey the way your wife want it. As long as it enjoyable. I enjoy discipline myself during that 40 weeks .. coz I am "rubbish" eater all along.
alexng2208
post Aug 13 2015, 01:34 PM

Why my warn is 0%? i miss my high warn
4,789 posts

learn to be patient

treat your wife better

learn to change diapers (open one and play pretend)

learn to make milk

learn to pacify babies if they cry (they are either hungry, got air, sleepy or dirty)

2 Pages  1 2 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0182sec    1.04    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:37 AM