Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

USB wifi N adapter with good support for AP mode?

views

TSFourZeroFour
post Aug 10 2015, 07:31 PM, updated 8y ago

Getting Started
175 posts

My onboard Atheros wifi card serves my need for hotspot/AP mode very well. The only problem is it's wireless G and I want more speed when I'm doing direct wifi transfer.

Right now with my wireless G card, I'm able to do ~5 mbytes/s (from what iftop reports) when I'm transferring a single big files thru direct wifi transfer to my phone from my Linux PC. Realistically how much speed improvement over this I should expect with wireless N adapter?

And do you have any good recommendation in mind? (one that support AP mode)

This post has been edited by FourZeroFour: Apr 5 2016, 10:47 AM
cmon
post Sep 30 2015, 05:11 PM

14 posts

Am using Asus USB-N10 with Ubuntu OS. Seems OK.
krip
post Oct 1 2015, 08:33 PM

Getting Started
65 posts

QUOTE(cmon @ Sep 30 2015, 05:11 PM)
Am using Asus USB-N10 with Ubuntu OS. Seems OK.
Wow..i googled and it very small..nano size. I wonder, if this adapter can play well with aircrack-ng stuff
cmon
post Oct 10 2015, 07:26 PM

14 posts

QUOTE(krip @ Oct 1 2015, 08:33 PM)
Wow..i googled and it very small..nano size. I wonder, if this adapter can play well with aircrack-ng stuff
Walau... Not so hardcore, bro. Just using it to get some laptops with LINUX online or to become temporary FTP servers for LAN wifi. So, no comment.
TRUNASUCI
post Oct 11 2015, 09:48 PM

Enthusiast
832 posts

maybe you can try ALFA
http://www.alfa.com.tw/product_category.php?pc=3

mine have tried the old USB AWUS** work well with Beini and other flavour..
RadinMas
post Nov 5 2015, 10:03 AM

15 posts

Well, for me TP-LINK TL-WN722N works perfectly fine if you want to use aircrack. I use it in everyday pentesting. If its not compatible, you need to search its driver carefully cuz sometime the injection aren't able to work. Also carefully choose the Atheros driver bundle.
TSFourZeroFour
post Nov 8 2015, 04:57 PM

Getting Started
175 posts

QUOTE(RadinMas @ Nov 5 2015, 10:03 AM)
Well, for me TP-LINK TL-WN722N works perfectly fine if you want to use aircrack. I use it in everyday pentesting. If its not compatible, you need to search its driver carefully cuz sometime the injection aren't able to work. Also carefully choose the Atheros driver bundle.
I almost wanted to get WN722N the other day but thinking that I didn't have a use for the high gain antenna, I bought wn727n instead only to be disappointed with partial Linux support for its capabilities doh.gif It does have AP capability but the support for it is not implemented in its linux driver. Also not to mention that the driver is single man foss project and the dev is rather reluctant to implement AP mode which is the sole reason why I bought the wifi adapter in the first place. I guess it's a common thing with Linux drivers. Your devices either don't work with Linux or if they work some features are bound to be missing
RadinMas
post Nov 9 2015, 09:51 AM

15 posts

QUOTE(FourZeroFour @ Nov 8 2015, 05:57 PM)
I almost wanted to get WN722N the other day but thinking that I didn't have a use for the high gain antenna, I bought wn727n instead only to be disappointed with partial Linux support for its capabilities  doh.gif It does have AP capability but the support for it is not implemented in its linux driver. Also not to mention that the driver is single man foss project and the dev is rather reluctant to implement AP mode which is the sole reason why I bought the wifi adapter in the first place. I guess it's a common thing with Linux drivers. Your devices either don't work with Linux or if they work some features are bound to be missing
Well, if you want to confirm the device are capable on your Linux, try "airmon" after installation and before begin any assessments. If the "airmon" works fine, then you can do what you wish for. thumbup.gif

TSFourZeroFour
post Nov 9 2015, 11:05 AM

Getting Started
175 posts

QUOTE(RadinMas @ Nov 9 2015, 09:51 AM)
Well, if you want to confirm the device are capable on your Linux, try "airmon" after installation and before begin any assessments. If the "airmon" works fine, then you can do what you wish for.  thumbup.gif
I'm not sure about this but I believe airmon requires only monitoring capability from a wifi card device in order to work, no? So if airmon can work with your device that only tell that the device satisfies the airmon's cap dependency. To see the full caps of your wifi device which are supported by its linux driver, you can use `iw list` and look under the Supported interface modes section

For example these are from my TP-Link WN727N (Mediatek chip)

CODE

Supported interface modes:
                * managed
                * monitor

and these are from my pci wifi card (Atheros chip)

CODE
       Supported interface modes:
                * IBSS
                * managed
                * AP
                * AP/VLAN
                * WDS
                * monitor
                * mesh point
                * P2P-client
                * P2P-GO

RadinMas
post Nov 11 2015, 09:28 AM

15 posts

Well, usually things has configured if you found the correct driver. And yes, some feature might have been disable on certain driver depend on some version. For me, You don't need require such information as for my concern.

Yes, airmon generally known for monitoring on your surround network or your basic network monitoring tool. However, how will you clarify your network card fully worked? How about the feature does exist, but still won't work. Been through this on some driver which has better updates. Sadly, it won't even connect to the network.
ricstc
post Nov 11 2015, 09:45 AM

Saya Pun Nak Cari Makan
2,272 posts

QUOTE(FourZeroFour @ Aug 10 2015, 07:31 PM)
My onboard Atheros wifi card serves my need for hotspot/AP mode very well. The only problem is it's wireless G and I want more speed when I'm doing direct wifi transfer.

Right now with my wireless G card, I'm able to do ~5 mbytes/s (from what iftop reports) when I'm transferring a single big files thru direct wifi transfer to my phone from my Linux PC. Realistically how much speed improvement over this I should expect with wireless N adapter?

And do you have any good recommendation in mind? (one that support AP mode)
removed

This post has been edited by ricstc: Nov 12 2015, 03:40 PM
TSFourZeroFour
post Nov 12 2015, 11:25 AM

Getting Started
175 posts

QUOTE(RadinMas @ Nov 11 2015, 09:28 AM)
Well, usually things has configured if you found the correct driver. And yes, some feature might have been disable on certain driver depend on some version. For me, You don't need require such information as for my concern.

Yes, airmon generally known for monitoring on your surround network or your basic network monitoring tool. However, how will you clarify your network card fully worked? How about the feature does exist, but still won't work. Been through this on some driver which has better updates. Sadly, it won't even connect to the network.
Right, ultimately you're gonna have to use the device to test if it truly works in your use case despite what the driver reports. But if some device feature is not implemented in its driver to begin with then you can say for certain the device doesn't work for what you intend to use it for. And what I was trying to imply in my previous post when I asked for iw list output is I need AP mode in my case, while your suggested method of testing wifi card with airmon only check if monitor mode of the card works and it doesn't need nor use AP mode at all so it's no use in my case

QUOTE(ricstc @ Nov 11 2015, 09:45 AM)
user posted image
You know in Linuxland where device drivers in most cases only partially support device features, this is not helpful without chipset info (lsusb -v) and output from iw list sweat.gif
RadinMas
post Nov 16 2015, 09:23 AM

15 posts

QUOTE(FourZeroFour @ Nov 12 2015, 12:25 PM)
Right, ultimately you're gonna have to use the device to test if it truly works in your use case despite what the driver reports. But if some device feature is not implemented in its driver to begin with then you can say for certain the device doesn't work for what you intend to use it for. And what I was trying to imply in my previous post when I asked for iw list output is I need AP mode in my case, while your suggested method of testing wifi card with airmon only check if monitor mode of the card works and it doesn't need nor use AP mode at all so it's no use in my case
You know in Linuxland where device drivers in most cases only partially support device features, this is not helpful without chipset info (lsusb -v) and output from iw list  sweat.gif
Didn't see its coming. My bad. HAHA! I'm not sure for the AP use from your end. Means that you are able to share around your connected network. Have you tried the feature inside your Linux. Some sorta share a network / broadcast network. I think, any network card can transmit that. Which a basic wireless network from your default network card can do this (IF YOU ARE USING LAPTOP).
Regina Tan
post Apr 4 2016, 02:57 PM

15 posts

Am using Asus USB-N10

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0172sec    0.55    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:46 AM