Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

current pending sector count, on harddisk

views

TSragk
post Jul 30 2015, 10:06 PM, updated 9y ago

BooBoo~
2,265 posts

cont from this issue: https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/3664064
i found 1 of my hdd had this error after running crystal disk mark check, how shud i fix it?

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
chocobo7779
post Jul 30 2015, 10:34 PM

Power is nothing without control
All Stars
14,368 posts

QUOTE(ragk @ Jul 30 2015, 10:06 PM)
i found 1 of my hdd had this error after running crystal disk mark check, how shud i fix it?
Backup your data, and send the drive for RMA. Your drive may be failing. icon_idea.gif
TSragk
post Jul 31 2015, 12:01 AM

BooBoo~
2,265 posts

Anyone know what is Zero Fill? If i run it, will it erase everything in my hdd?
kherel77
post Jul 31 2015, 01:29 AM

Noobie
1,435 posts

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

My HDD run 5 years like this. But only stored video collection. So far so good, no problem. I prefer SeaTools to confirm that Seagate HDD health.
*This screenshot taken 2 years ago...
https://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?showtopic=2945642&hl=

After 2 years

This post has been edited by kherel77: Jul 31 2015, 01:51 AM
boonwuilow
post Jul 31 2015, 10:14 AM

Diesel rocks
3,794 posts

Current pending sector count means your drive has some bad/damaged sector that is in the waiting list to be replace or reallocate. But that doesn't necessary means that your drive is totally bad, but backing up the data is recommended. If still under warranty, then RMA it. Monitor the SMART see does it increase or not, if increasing then u really need to worry about it.
elliot_WD
post Jul 31 2015, 01:24 PM

Getting Started
54 posts

Hey there ragk,

If you have checked the HDD health status, and found that “CAUTION” is written under Health Status, it can be a bad sector on HDD.

Sectors are reallocated when they’ve gone bad (a hardware fault on the drive). Modern drives are built with spare sectors precisely for this purpose, but a large number of reallocated sectors indicates that there is a more serious problem with the drive and it is likely to fail soon. This is also likely to contribute to the slowness of your PC.

Alternatively you could try running the DLG(Data Lifeguard Diagnostics) for your HDD just to double confirm on that. Here is the link on how to do so:
http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=4rQJdl

The best option now is to backup all your data from your HDD if possible before it fails catastrophically, and if the HDD is still under warranty, then you can proceed to RMA it.

Here is the link on how to proceed with the RMA process:
http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=UKlBVo

Hope this helps, good luck! thumbup.gif
TSragk
post Aug 1 2015, 12:05 AM

BooBoo~
2,265 posts

QUOTE(elliot_WD @ Jul 31 2015, 01:24 PM)
Hey there ragk,

If you have checked the HDD health status, and found that “CAUTION” is written under Health Status, it can be a bad sector on HDD.

Sectors are reallocated when they’ve gone bad (a hardware fault on the drive). Modern drives are built with spare sectors precisely for this purpose, but a large number of reallocated sectors indicates that there is a more serious problem with the drive and it is likely to fail soon. This is also likely to contribute to the slowness of your PC.

Alternatively you could try running the DLG(Data Lifeguard Diagnostics) for your HDD just to double confirm on that. Here is the link on how to do so:
http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=4rQJdl

The best option now is to backup all your data from your HDD if possible before it fails catastrophically, and if the HDD is still under warranty, then you can proceed to RMA it.

Here is the link on how to proceed with the RMA process:
http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=UKlBVo     

Hope this helps, good luck!  thumbup.gif
all the sign showed this hdd had problem, sigh. Everythings open from it either lag or take years to load. Is that anything i could try for recovery b4 i dump it?
Moogle Stiltzkin
post Aug 1 2015, 10:17 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,009 posts

bruce.gif

This post has been edited by Moogle Stiltzkin: Jul 16 2017, 03:55 PM
TSragk
post Aug 1 2015, 02:16 PM

BooBoo~
2,265 posts

QUOTE(Moogle Stiltzkin @ Aug 1 2015, 10:17 AM)
current pending sector to fix, have to reformat the drive (full) and make zeros the entire drive. then run a fdisk check.

then windows will flag the parts of the drive as unusable anymore.

after doing that, you need only monitor whether anymore new current pending sectors appear, if so you may need to replace then.

there is a threshold of accept current pending sectors and it's frequency of appearing.
zero fill = full format. takes a long time. you can do this with windows format doh.gif long method.
ok, i will try a zero fill on my hdd. It's now even taking forever to backup data out, think i have to sacrifice my data doh.gif
netmatrix
post Aug 1 2015, 02:40 PM

The machine... it sees everything.
6,491 posts

WCAV57877476 WD10EARS-00Y5B1
1 TB WD Green SATA Hard Drive Out of Limited Warranty 3/3/2013

Its already 2 years after warranty. And you have bad sector. When you encounter bad sector that is reported by Crystaldiskinfo, it will mean the hard disk is in critical stage. You better just copy the data to a new hard disk. There is no reason for you to use the hard disk anymore, even if someone gave you the false impression that you can still use it for more years via zero fill or low level format. It does not work that way. Its a risk.

This post has been edited by netmatrix: Aug 1 2015, 02:41 PM
TSragk
post Aug 1 2015, 03:22 PM

BooBoo~
2,265 posts

QUOTE(netmatrix @ Aug 1 2015, 02:40 PM)

WCAV57877476 WD10EARS-00Y5B1
1 TB WD Green SATA Hard Drive Out of Limited Warranty 3/3/2013

Its already 2 years after warranty. And you have bad sector. When you encounter bad sector that is reported by Crystaldiskinfo, it will mean the hard disk is in critical stage. You better just copy the data to a new hard disk. There is no reason for you to use the hard disk anymore, even if someone gave you the false impression that you can still use it for more years via zero fill or low level format. It does not work that way. Its a risk.
Ya im trying to move, but it took very long even to copy over a 200mb folder to new disk. Anything i could do 2 fasten up?
And pending sector = bad sector?

This post has been edited by ragk: Aug 1 2015, 05:04 PM
boonwuilow
post Aug 1 2015, 05:34 PM

Diesel rocks
3,794 posts

QUOTE(ragk @ Aug 1 2015, 03:22 PM)
Ya im trying to move, but it took very long even to copy over a 200mb folder to new disk. Anything i could do 2 fasten up?
Yeap, that is bad sector. Waiting to be replace by spare sector on the hard drive, provided if the spare sector Still haven't used up, then it can replace. Else it will keep on increasing
Moogle Stiltzkin
post Aug 1 2015, 05:51 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,009 posts

bruce.gif

This post has been edited by Moogle Stiltzkin: Jul 16 2017, 03:55 PM
MystiqueLife
post Aug 1 2015, 07:06 PM

Casual
451 posts

Current pending sectors means your drive have unstable sectors, probably due to cable or corrupted file transfers/writes.
Just perform a low level format, fill in with zeros and recheck.

HD Tune is a good utility for this. My drive have 391 pending sectors but after zero fill 3 times, it became 0. laugh.gif
netmatrix
post Aug 1 2015, 08:27 PM

The machine... it sees everything.
6,491 posts

QUOTE(ragk @ Aug 1 2015, 03:22 PM)
Copy the data in small sections instead of 1 large lump in 1 go.
zenix
post Aug 3 2015, 12:08 PM

Pirate Captain
6,149 posts

the program you using is missing some info

user posted image

"Current Pending Sector" is a direct indication of the number of bad sectors waiting to be remapped ( remapping is the process of marking defective sectors are bad and allocating spare sectors from the reserved pool as replacement "Logical Blocks" ). Even one "Current Pending Sector" is a clear indication of failing media. In the above picture it is 28 which is pretty bad and storing any important data on this drive is a risk. If this disk is only using as a media storage ( songs, Videos etc - not business critical documents ) , you can try to run an "Extended Test" using "WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostics" and it may force remapping of the pending sectors.

WD Support / Downloads / SATA & SAS / WD VelociRaptor

If the WD tool failed to fix the disk, i won't recommend using the disk at all. But you may choose to store unimportant data if you wish.

Also if your warranty is over and cannot RMA and decide to use it my only recommendation is to use it as offline storage.

Backup, format then remap the bad sectors.

After that keep stuff inside and unplug it to keep as long term offline storage.

TSragk
post Aug 3 2015, 12:27 PM

BooBoo~
2,265 posts

QUOTE(zenix @ Aug 3 2015, 12:08 PM)
the program you using is missing some info

user posted image

"Current Pending Sector" is a direct indication of the number of bad sectors waiting to be remapped ( remapping is the process of marking defective sectors are bad and allocating spare sectors from the reserved pool as replacement "Logical Blocks" ). Even one "Current Pending Sector" is a clear indication of failing media. In the above picture it is 28 which is pretty bad and storing any important data on this drive is a risk. If this disk is only using as a media storage ( songs, Videos etc - not business critical documents ) , you can try to run an "Extended Test" using "WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostics" and it may force remapping of the pending sectors.

WD Support / Downloads / SATA & SAS / WD VelociRaptor

If the WD tool failed to fix the disk, i won't recommend using the disk at all. But you may choose to store unimportant data if you wish.

Also if your warranty is over and cannot RMA and decide to use it my only recommendation is to use it as offline storage.

Backup, format then remap the bad sectors.

After that keep stuff inside and unplug it to keep as long term offline storage.
I just use HD Tune to zero-fill my drive. It's back to normal transfer speed now, but now it has reallocated sector count, reallocated even count and current pending count together, seems getting worst lol haha. Will try to run some game from the drive, if it still can afford will just use it to play game and watch movie, important staff will store at other drive.
zenix
post Aug 3 2015, 01:13 PM

Pirate Captain
6,149 posts

QUOTE(ragk @ Aug 3 2015, 12:27 PM)
I just use HD Tune to zero-fill my drive. It's back to normal transfer speed now, but now it has reallocated sector count, reallocated even count and current pending count together, seems getting worst lol haha. Will try to run some game from the drive, if it still can afford will just use it to play game and watch movie, important staff will store at other drive.
well, if you want to kill it faster use it as virtual memory temp drive laugh.gif

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0222sec    0.12    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:06 AM