Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Hardware MacBook Pro or Windows Workstation Laptop?, Need consultation from pros.

views

TShz32290
post Jul 29 2015, 01:47 PM, updated 9y ago

Getting Started
93 posts

Hey guys, I'm going to further study soon and my course is Multimedia course.
Syllabus consist of web designing (developing as well), filming, video editing, 3D animation & rendering, and also post-pro VFX.

I've did some research on the laptop that I need to get, but I need some consultation from you guys on which laptop I should get.
Previously what I had in mind was, (choices were made based on reliability, performance, reviews)
1.Surface Pro 3(it sounded stupid, but the performance are quite promising, not gaming though)
2. MacBook Pro 15" (many many reviews on the internet put this in the A-list in terms of video editing and imaging.)
3. HP Zbook (Has found some variants on the website, but it has somewhat limited choices for smaller screen)
4. Dell Precision M4800 (probably the best in the middle of all precision laptop)

Budget for laptop : 7k +- (lower the better.. lol)
Preferred Specs : core i7, 8GBs ram, workstation GPU(like quadro or firePro, or maybe something else that pars with them in the same level)
I don't mind paying extra bucks for the better, but all of these has their own pros and cons.
And I'm in the middle of nowhere. =(

Any comments and suggestions?
Please, and thank you!!
lowyard
post Jul 29 2015, 01:55 PM

Nexus 4, 4 Nexers.
2,035 posts

If I were you, after all consideration, I'd go with HP ZBook for ease of upgrades.
WiLeKiyO
post Jul 29 2015, 02:10 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,144 posts

QUOTE(hz32290 @ Jul 29 2015, 01:47 PM)
Hey guys, I'm going to further study soon and my course is Multimedia course.
Syllabus consist of web designing (developing as well), filming, video editing, 3D animation & rendering, and also post-pro VFX.

I've did some research on the laptop that I need to get, but I need some consultation from you guys on which laptop I should get.
Previously what I had in mind was, (choices were made based on reliability, performance, reviews)
1.Surface Pro 3(it sounded stupid, but the performance are quite promising, not gaming though)
2. MacBook Pro 15" (many many reviews on the internet put this in the A-list in terms of video editing and imaging.)
3. HP Zbook (Has found some variants on the website, but it has somewhat limited choices for smaller screen)
4. Dell Precision M4800 (probably the best in the middle of all precision laptop)

Budget for laptop : 7k +- (lower the better.. lol)
Preferred Specs : core i7, 8GBs ram, workstation GPU(like quadro or firePro, or maybe something else that pars with them in the same level)
I don't mind paying extra bucks for the better, but all of these has their own pros and cons.
And I'm in the middle of nowhere. =(
Any comments and suggestions?
Please, and thank you!!
Here is the correct section for laptop suggestion https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/3539285
netmatrix
post Jul 29 2015, 02:13 PM

The machine... it sees everything.
6,491 posts

You should look into your uni and see what most people use. So you could integrate easily with others and also the school. If everyone uses Mac, then buy a mac. If everyone uses Windows , then buy windows. No point being different when its going to be a distraction of getting the job done. Your budget permits you to buy high end machines. So the only thing left is windows or mac.
chocobo7779
post Jul 29 2015, 02:45 PM

Power is nothing without control
All Stars
14,368 posts

QUOTE(lowyard @ Jul 29 2015, 01:55 PM)
If I were you, after all consideration, I'd go with HP ZBook for ease of upgrades.
Yup, considering they make service guides publicly available for easy repairs and upgrades. icon_idea.gif
lowyard
post Jul 29 2015, 02:50 PM

Nexus 4, 4 Nexers.
2,035 posts

QUOTE(chocobo7779 @ Jul 29 2015, 02:45 PM)
Yup, considering they make service guides publicly available for easy repairs and upgrades.  icon_idea.gif
exactly. this machine can simply last for a very long time
TShz32290
post Jul 30 2015, 01:39 AM

Getting Started
93 posts

QUOTE(netmatrix @ Jul 29 2015, 02:13 PM)
You should look into your uni and see what most people use. So you could integrate easily with others and also the school. If everyone uses Mac, then buy a mac. If everyone uses Windows , then buy windows. No point being different when its going to be a distraction of getting the job done. Your budget permits you to buy high end machines. So the only thing left is windows or mac.
that sounds like a good idea. I've really never thought of that before, thanks!
TShz32290
post Jul 30 2015, 01:44 AM

Getting Started
93 posts

QUOTE(chocobo7779 @ Jul 29 2015, 02:45 PM)
Yup, considering they make service guides publicly available for easy repairs and upgrades.  icon_idea.gif
but I'm no computer techies bro. I dunno how to fix a laptop =(
I am indeed looking for a reliable and long-lasting machine.
Hopefully last more than 2 years.
chocobo7779
post Jul 30 2015, 09:59 AM

Power is nothing without control
All Stars
14,368 posts

QUOTE(hz32290 @ Jul 30 2015, 01:44 AM)
but I'm no computer techies bro. I dunno how to fix a laptop =(
I am indeed looking for a reliable and long-lasting machine.
Hopefully last more than 2 years.
It's not that hard - considering the manual is intended to instruct you to fix it. icon_idea.gif

If you are looking for a long lasting machine, cross out the MBP - their machines are known to be very hostile towards upgrades/repairs unless you are willing to pony up (quite a lot) to an Apple technician. icon_idea.gif
zenix
post Aug 3 2015, 12:19 PM

Pirate Captain
6,149 posts

QUOTE(hz32290 @ Jul 29 2015, 01:47 PM)
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «
QUOTE(netmatrix @ Jul 29 2015, 02:13 PM)
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «
considering both issues i think it is either the ZB or MBP

One thing about Mac's is that they're very specialized so eventhough spec-wise for the same price it might seem to be slower than a Windows based machine but it really can make do with the hardware on hand, which is why many wouldn't go for any windows based notebooks if they don't have a decent discrete GPU for games and video editing, the mac is able to make do with what window users find feeble. So you can't always compare spec-to-spec.

Another thing I do like about Mac's from my experience working with Macs and Windows is that eventhough you push the Mac to the limits for rendering or video editing it will still process albeit slowly, for windows i always have the perception it hang/freeze, especially for rendering stuff which takes a few hours had nightmares waking up the next day the process bar was still 5% on a windows machine (pre-win7 days)

k!nex
post Aug 4 2015, 11:01 AM

Restless stars
3,327 posts

Pros of MacBook Pro:
1. Slim and light weight.
2. Best screen of the lot, very high resolution.
3. Video editing people will like Apple Final Cut Pro ( separate purchase licensed software)
4. Keyboard has excellent feel.

Suck part of MacBook Pro:
1. RAM cannot upgrade ( soldered to the motherboard)
2. Retina display only in glossy screen. No matte like typical business notebook.
3.Battery cannot be replaced by end-user easily.
4. If want extend warranty, Apple Care is so expensive.
5. If you want to do rendering for long period, the notebook can get very very hot.

For computer newbie, buy Dell better. Extend warranty to 3 or 5 years and you will have peace of mind and next business day onsite warranty support. They fix it in front of you.

BlackWoods
post Aug 4 2015, 12:56 PM

Dark Knight
2,152 posts

I would recommend the Macbook Pro, get the 13 inch if you want portability or the 15 inch with dedicated GPU for better performance, but it's bulky.
However, it still depends on the program you use, if they are mostly Adobe's it works great on the Mac.

Check compatibility for the programs you use.
guardioo
post Aug 4 2015, 02:54 PM

Casual
354 posts

Get Mac and make dual boot OS, as it not much different anyway.

if budget constraint, get Windows notebook
junaidrazasyed
post Aug 4 2015, 11:52 PM

LIES.LUST.MONEY.POWER
546 posts

If you are looking for a workstation laptop then go for MSI
their new Workstation series WS60 / WS 70 laptops are AWESOME for rendering / multimedia working

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0123sec    0.27    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:29 PM