views

darkages
post Nov 13 2006, 09:54 AM

Jam Bumi
Group Icon
VIP
4,206 posts

QUOTE(ekiddie @ Nov 13 2006, 09:50 AM)
if it's those tat have de longer red lining till it's tail... RM3/pair is cheap... not all aquarium shops haf this kind of tetras... especially de expensive ones... RM3/pc O...

neway, any idea to make de water more 'acidic'? i asked a Q in another thread and they recommend to use ketapang leaves but it wud tanned de water... will tat be good for tetras? as i never seen any tetras in tanned water... most of 'em are in clear water... hehe... as it's to show off it's beauty mar...

anyone got pics of a nice tank of tetras?? hehe...

wink.gif
Why would you want to have a acidic water in the first place?
You got to find out whether tetra and the plants prefer that environment or not.
For me, my pH is around 6.4
xetajones
post Nov 13 2006, 09:57 AM

Connecting Brains
586 posts

The RM3 tetra looks like the emperor tetra to me. The look quite like neons but actually they are much more beautiful. There price range is around RM3 per fish.
TSekiddie
post Nov 13 2006, 10:01 AM

Enthusiast
810 posts

coz' i read in some site tat says it's better to have a more acidic water for tetras? i read it lar... hehe... tat's why wanna confirm izzit true and asked in here...

xeta... i guess de tetras i saw were those tat u described about... they have a more transparent body and they do look like neons too... to buy 10, wah! RM30 d O... hehe... but it's a very nice fishie... it's ok to buy ten... just donno izzit hardy or not... later all 10 mati in a week.. duH!

wink.gif

goldfries
post Nov 13 2006, 10:02 AM

40K Club
Group Icon
Forum Admin
44,409 posts

QUOTE(ekiddie @ Nov 13 2006, 01:30 AM)
goldfries, wat's de diff between a neon tetras and a cardinal tetras?? exact same but sizing differs?

wink.gif
yes, looks similar but cardinals are bigger. and they have slight variance in their blue streak. smile.gif
TSekiddie
post Nov 13 2006, 10:09 AM

Enthusiast
810 posts

hahaaa!! i really can't see de diff except for bigger and smaller... but as i see in some tetra sites ar... some of them doesn't looked like tetras at all but yet they are in tetras families...

how to define a 'tetra fish' then? any idea? by it's tail?? fin? head?? i really donno... hehe... blush.gif

wink.gif

xetajones
post Nov 13 2006, 10:10 AM

Connecting Brains
586 posts

QUOTE(ekiddie @ Nov 13 2006, 10:01 AM)
coz' i read in some site tat says it's better to have a more acidic water for tetras? i read it lar... hehe... tat's why wanna confirm izzit true and asked in here...

xeta... i guess de tetras i saw were those tat u described about... they have a more transparent body and they do look like neons too... to buy 10, wah! RM30 d O... hehe... but it's a very nice fishie... it's ok to buy ten... just donno izzit hardy or not... later all 10 mati in a week.. duH!

wink.gif
Tetras are not really hardy fishes. They are OK but sometimes disease are not easily spotted as they are small. Yes tetra are acidic fishes. They thrive around pH 6 therefore suitable for planted tanks. Please check the water of the LFS and the one you are having. A too vast pH difference can cause pH shock and leads to death.
sayasebuk
post Nov 13 2006, 10:11 AM

On my way
677 posts

QUOTE(ekiddie @ Nov 13 2006, 09:50 AM)
if it's those tat have de longer red lining till it's tail... RM3/pair is cheap... not all aquarium shops haf this kind of tetras... especially de expensive ones... RM3/pc O...

neway, any idea to make de water more 'acidic'? i asked a Q in another thread and they recommend to use ketapang leaves but it wud tanned de water... will tat be good for tetras? as i never seen any tetras in tanned water... most of 'em are in clear water... hehe... as it's to show off it's beauty mar...

anyone got pics of a nice tank of tetras?? hehe...

wink.gif
I have guppies and both neon tetras. Never had any problem with them. Same like rearing any other fish.

neon tetras in klang valley you can get even for RM0.80 (depends on LFS). Cardinal tetras i havent found any lower than RM3.00 (not many LFS have them). Cardinal tetras are similar to neon tetras, only that the red colour covers the whole lower body (neon tetras red colour only starts from the middle).

to make water acidic why dont you get some acidic rocks (dunno which one though)

TSekiddie
post Nov 13 2006, 10:18 AM

Enthusiast
810 posts

hehe... very informative advices... thx all... and those expensive tetras of RM3/pc is called cardinal tetras lar izit...

i did asked de shop worker in there... they oso din know wat differs them or name them... to them, all those fishes are called 'tin kong yue' in chinese meaning 'electricity bright fish' as of direct translate... hahaaa!

really like 'em... wanna buy more of them ler... hehe... no one rearing them wif planted plants??

wanna buy some black tetras too... hehe... hardy as crazymouse claimed they are...

wink.gif

This post has been edited by ekiddie: Nov 13 2006, 10:18 AM
goldfries
post Nov 13 2006, 10:27 AM

40K Club
Group Icon
Forum Admin
44,409 posts

Tetras come from the family of Characins

and how to differentiate a cardinal from a neon?

1. cardinals are bigger
2. cardinal has blue streak that goes almost all the way to the tail.
3. cardinals has more red which goes almost all the way to the head. smile.gif

FYI a lot of LFS keepers actually show the lack of knowledge in their fish. it's clear they're selling for $$$ ONLY. smile.gif
TSekiddie
post Nov 13 2006, 11:41 AM

Enthusiast
810 posts

will look for de differs when i go to LFS... hehe... thx for sharing...

neway, since they are being SO small... wat do they eat? i only feed them bloodworms... neway, i only haf neon tetras...

wink.gif

xetajones
post Nov 13 2006, 11:46 AM

Connecting Brains
586 posts

Look for micro pellets or flakes. I feed mine with Hikari Micro Pellet, Micro Wafer and First Bite. Some others are crushed flakes or granules.
TSekiddie
post Nov 13 2006, 11:49 AM

Enthusiast
810 posts

can betta fish aka fighting fish food can be feed to tetras?? as i see betta fish food are oso in flakes...

really don wanna kill some tetras on some mis-feed of foods! hahaaa!

wink.gif

sayasebuk
post Nov 13 2006, 01:03 PM

On my way
677 posts

QUOTE(ekiddie @ Nov 13 2006, 10:18 AM)
hehe... very informative advices... thx all... and those expensive tetras of RM3/pc is called cardinal tetras lar izit...

i did asked de shop worker in there... they oso din know wat differs them or name them... to them, all those fishes are called 'tin kong yue' in chinese meaning 'electricity bright fish' as of direct translate... hahaaa!

really like 'em... wanna buy more of them ler... hehe... no one rearing them wif planted plants??

wanna buy some black tetras too... hehe... hardy as crazymouse claimed they are...

wink.gif
i have 9 neon tetras in my 2 1/2 feet planted tank. no problem at all
QUOTE(ekiddie @ Nov 13 2006, 11:49 AM)
can betta fish aka fighting fish food can be feed to tetras?? as i see betta fish food are oso in flakes...

really don wanna kill some tetras on some mis-feed of foods! hahaaa!

wink.gif
never had problems with my fish sharing food with each other (livebearers, tetras, betta, bard, etc).
goldfries
post Nov 13 2006, 03:07 PM

40K Club
Group Icon
Forum Admin
44,409 posts

QUOTE(ekiddie @ Nov 13 2006, 11:49 AM)
not a problem.
xetajones
post Nov 13 2006, 03:31 PM

Connecting Brains
586 posts

Just an update for tetra lovers. I have finally found Taiwan florescent tetra in Malaysia. How does it look like? Go to http://www.azoo.com.tw/ and check the most left pic. I saw it at 88 Cheras selling at RM5 per fish they are from TaiKong (the manufacturer of Azoo Products). Nice with UV lamp smile.gif
burag0
post Nov 13 2006, 03:58 PM

Getting Started
94 posts

actually d more expensive ones are cardinal tetras.... the red lining is full up to its tail.... the neon tetras red lining is only halfway through and the color is not as striking as well...

used to have a 4ft planted tank... with about 60 cardinals in dere... hehehe(those were d days) i miss it.... but the mantainance was killing me.. biggrin.gif
i beleive the thrive best in a planted tank as the ph is very stable... u need not make your water acidic... just use ketapang leaves... or driftwood...
unless its a planted tank... then u dont need to play ard with the ph... as if we r not careful... the ph change is too sudden... the fish will die of ph shock... anyway tats just my 2sen pendapat... smile.gif

This post has been edited by burag0: Nov 13 2006, 03:59 PM
TSekiddie
post Nov 13 2006, 04:02 PM

Enthusiast
810 posts

thx for de advice burag0... gotto get a ph meter d or watever we call it lar... hehe...

if so, wat's de best ph for tetras??

neway, how to get de nicest view of tetras? do we need any UV lamp??

wink.gif

goldfries
post Nov 13 2006, 04:07 PM

40K Club
Group Icon
Forum Admin
44,409 posts

QUOTE(ekiddie @ Nov 13 2006, 04:02 PM)
thx for de advice burag0... gotto get a ph meter d or watever we call it lar... hehe...

if so, wat's de best ph for tetras??
don't you ever google? i see you ask a lot yet a lot of your answers are found on many tropical fish sites.

for me, i lz to do PH test already (you can use PH test kits or PH test pen).
burag0
post Nov 13 2006, 04:15 PM

Getting Started
94 posts

google it up... i cant remember... very long never rare tetras.... hehe sorry ya...

used to use d3 arcadia reptile lights for my tanks... i feel it brings out the color... but i had other reasons for usin it as well... like tanning my arowana at tat time... hehe so it was killing 2 birds wit 1 stone... hehehe biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by burag0: Nov 13 2006, 04:16 PM
TSekiddie
post Nov 13 2006, 04:22 PM

Enthusiast
810 posts

google will need time to look into de links... if can get answers in a forum... i don see any harm in asking... hence tat's wat forums are for too...

reptile lighting? those UV-B lightings oso can be used on fishes? i knew turtles need those lighting...

and for fishes... tat brings out de colors out of 'em? hehe... coOL! wat about those food or liquid which claimed tat it will bring out de nice colors of tetras, bettas and etc etc?? those food n liquids works wan ka?

hehe... found a cardinal tetras in azoo.com.tw where xetajones posted... as i see... de diff is really on de red streak lining where it longs till de tail...

user posted image

pH: 6
GH: 6 �dH
water temperature: 22-28 ℃
max. length: 5 cm

nice!

wink.gif

This post has been edited by ekiddie: Nov 13 2006, 04:27 PM

14 Pages < 1 2 3 4 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0204sec    0.11    6 queries    GZIP Disabled