> BLACK & DECKER GRASS TRIMMER GL300, Looking for parts

TSHamsom
post Jul 23 2015, 01:26 AM, updated 7y ago

439 posts

I am not sure where exactly to post this. Figured either garage sale thread or here.
But figured in garage sale, probably have less people linked to grass cutting machines.
So here it is.

I have an almost 100% spoiled GL300 grass cutter.
Although i had just ordered a GL4525 from Lazada, I just hate to throw away things that I haven't even try to fix.

So the problem with my GL300 is that its still spinning but smoke starts to come out of it.
I guess because i didn't take a good care of it - had left long grasses tangled to the spool carrier for too long may be the cause if malfunctioning.
Also the guard had broken off - quite flimsy IMHO.

So i tried taking it apart and found out the motor is producing the smoke. Probably one of the inner casing had broken somehow and broken parts got into the motor. I couldn't take apart the motor as it has magnetic parts..plus i don't think i have the skills for it.

So just before i throw this out (semi to almost non functioning grass trimmer), i thought id ask here if anyone else had the same issue.
Or better still, has one that is unused (due to other malfunctions or broken parts or other reasons) so i can buy from you (minimal price) to replace my broken parts.

I saw one post from 3 years ago that some guy had it. But hate to revive that thread.
Just wondering maybe any of you moved to an apartment/condo and no longer using it, id gladly take it off your hands and put it to use.

Brand new is just 120 bucks or so. The point here is fixing the thing so i can reduce the carbon footprint.

For guide I am referring to Part 6 and Part 7. Refer to http://www.powertoolspares.com/tool/black-...type1b1/spares/ . I also tried asking them for parts but they dont produce anymore. China made B&D.

Cheers.

How do i tag these guys? @ doesnt seem to work.
lowyatguy
pg84

This post has been edited by Hamsom: May 4 2017, 06:38 PM
pg84
post Jul 23 2015, 08:07 AM

288 posts

Just buy a new one , now is so cheap. Anyway I use mine 3 times then give up. Reasons
-too tiring for my 900sqm lalang
-the thing vibrates too much , making my hand numb

lowyatguy
post Jul 23 2015, 08:03 PM

=Certified Counter-Striker=
3,144 posts

Agree, used for 3 times and almost abandoned there for the reason of too much vibration causing my hands numb.
TSHamsom
post Jul 23 2015, 09:09 PM

439 posts

QUOTE(pg84 @ Jul 23 2015, 08:07 AM)
Just buy a new one , now is so cheap. Anyway I use mine 3 times then give up. Reasons
-too tiring for my 900sqm lalang
-the thing vibrates too much , making my hand numb
QUOTE(lowyatguy @ Jul 23 2015, 08:03 PM)
Agree, used for 3 times and almost abandoned there for the reason of too much vibration causing my hands numb.
Ok i guess ive used it more than you guys. Probably 20-30 times. My grass space is not that big, 4x16 feet the most (estimate). Just that i didnt mantain it.

Oh well i guess it had its worths run. Grass cutters charges rm15 to rm20 for cutting and cleaning my small space..in my area. Quite a waste id say unless of course saving money is not your thing.

Still im going to keep it till my new machine is delivered. In the mean time, anyone with an almost useless unit, kindly send a pm or just post here.

I really do mean i hate to waste. Rather fix it and give it away than throwing.

Thanks for your feedback though. Agree on the vibration too. But i thought that was normal. Maybe ill try to compare by memory with my new unit. Cheers.
kamilnu
post Jul 23 2015, 10:47 PM

1,170 posts

Buy a proper lawn mower like those Bosch Rotak series. Better investment. But once can u many many times. Your cutting will also be level.

kamilnu
post Jul 23 2015, 10:47 PM

1,170 posts

Buy a proper lawn mower like those Bosch Rotak series. Better investment. Buy once can use many many times. Your cutting will also be level.

kamilnu
post Jul 23 2015, 10:48 PM

1,170 posts

Buy a proper lawn mower like those Bosch Rotak series. Better investment. Buy once can use many many times. Your cutting will also be level.

kamilnu
post Jul 23 2015, 10:50 PM

1,170 posts

TSHamsom
post Jul 28 2015, 11:48 AM

439 posts

QUOTE(kamilnu @ Jul 23 2015, 10:50 PM)
So excited reply 4 times a abang?

My lawn so small buy ROTAK series? Switch on machine 2 seconds done edi.
Cannot enjoy also. If my money grow on grass maybe i buy ROTAK for my small lawn.

But thanks for your suggestion.

My GL4525 just arrivived. Cant wait to test later at home.
But still looking part for the GL300 though.

Cheers.
Simplex
post Aug 18 2015, 01:20 PM

49 posts

Hi.
How's the new grass trimmer working?
I think its single string cutting.
Advice me how it works out, as I am shopping for one too.
TSHamsom
post Aug 21 2015, 12:02 PM

439 posts

QUOTE(Simplex @ Aug 18 2015, 01:20 PM)
Hi.
How's the new grass trimmer working?
I think its single string cutting.
Advice me how it works out, as I am shopping for one too.
Yea, i guess i didnt read carefully when i bought it.
When i took it out, made me wonder - how come the cheaper version has two strings.

I'm not sure how to quite say, but the cheaper version felt more raw but much much less stable.
This new one feels a lot sturdier compared to the earlier model. Looks like itll last longer too.
Build wise its sturdy. Hold wise its sturdy too.

On my earlier GL300, i had the guard broken after like less than 10 use. Figured this one will last.

I cant comment much as my patch of land is too small and the time gap is not that long for me to keep using. But as for a start, it does feel sturdier...just cant quite get the raw power feeling. Maybe because it is sturdy...i dont know.

Let me know how did yours do.

This post has been edited by Hamsom: Aug 21 2015, 12:03 PM
gotham11
post Jan 8 2017, 02:06 PM

171 posts

My gl300 rotating part that hold the plastic string break into few PCs.. plastic. Motor still work fine.. no one Keep parts?
TSHamsom
post Jan 10 2017, 02:29 AM

439 posts

QUOTE(gotham11 @ Jan 8 2017, 02:06 PM)
My gl300 rotating part that hold the plastic string break into few PCs.. plastic. Motor still work fine.. no one Keep parts?
Can you include a photo ? Few of them so i know which. I have a spoiled unit.
Cruxs
post Jan 10 2017, 02:45 AM

826 posts

I'm using bosch long time ago. Now need lawn mower for 90' x 60'. Ever wonder those people use petrol grass cutter? Its vibrate ur whole body.
nmb3rs
post May 1 2017, 01:39 AM

284 posts

QUOTE(Hamsom @ Aug 21 2015, 12:02 PM)
Yea, i guess i didnt read carefully when i bought it.
When i took it out, made me wonder - how come the cheaper version has two strings.

I'm not sure how to quite say, but the cheaper version felt more raw but much much less stable.
This new one feels a lot sturdier compared to the earlier model. Looks like itll last longer too.
Build wise its sturdy. Hold wise its sturdy too.

On my earlier GL300, i had the guard broken after like less than 10 use. Figured this one will last.

I cant comment much as my patch of land is too small and the time gap is not that long for me to keep using. But as for a start, it does feel sturdier...just cant quite get the raw power feeling. Maybe because it is sturdy...i dont know.

Let me know how did yours do.
Mind to do a review on the GL4525? Thinking of getting one...
TSHamsom
post May 1 2017, 09:53 AM

439 posts

QUOTE(nmb3rs @ May 1 2017, 01:39 AM)
Mind to do a review on the GL4525? Thinking of getting one...
Apart fron what i have reviewed earlier, id say it could be best bang for the buck. Still here still trimming. About to trim my grass for the last time. Before selling my house.
culain99
post Oct 27 2018, 03:03 PM

-----
733 posts

anyone using GL300 change to thicker string ?, seem like ori string hard to cut mix of grass and lalang
Chiggah
post Sep 30 2019, 09:49 PM

460 posts

Bosch Rotak still a good choice ?

0.0160sec    0.12    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:27 PM