4 Pages  1 2 3 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

around RM1400 starting pay izzit low?

views

TSZach.C
post Nov 10 2006, 09:29 PM, updated 18y ago

Getting Started
286 posts

work as a web designer... need advise...
jimmy_none
post Nov 10 2006, 09:51 PM

On my way
639 posts

well for me is normal...
abc2005
post Nov 10 2006, 10:13 PM

UNIVERSE is my CATALOGUE
2,076 posts

what's ur ed. level?
ahaw
post Nov 10 2006, 10:17 PM

Getting Started
274 posts

usually for dip. holder w/o working exp... around rm950 - rm1.2k for degree holder w/o exp... around rm1.4 - 1.6... if you have exp. ask for more la... thats foe enggineering, web or it worker? no idea

This post has been edited by ahaw: Nov 10 2006, 10:18 PM
tsg
post Nov 10 2006, 10:19 PM

Idontcare Club
14,610 posts

fresh grad will earn around 1.3 - 1.5k as a starter,with or without allowances/claim
jinyee80
post Nov 10 2006, 11:15 PM

Jinyee? Me lor =)
868 posts

To me, its really low.
kb2005
post Nov 10 2006, 11:56 PM

Yahoo!
All Stars
17,379 posts

QUOTE(Zach.C @ Nov 10 2006, 09:29 PM)
work as a web designer... need advise...
What is your qualification ? Diploma or Degree ?
Fr3eStyL3r
post Nov 11 2006, 12:00 AM

Getting Started
276 posts

My friend with degree holder, get 2k at PG.. jz get the job few weeks ago..
kb2005
post Nov 11 2006, 12:01 AM

Yahoo!
All Stars
17,379 posts

QUOTE(Fr3eStyL3r @ Nov 11 2006, 12:00 AM)
My friend with degree holder, get 2k at PG.. jz get the job few weeks ago..
What job is that ? 2k in Penang with Degree consider very low biggrin.gif
fnd99
post Nov 11 2006, 01:25 AM

2 posts

For me, working as a web designer/programmer or any IT field, the salary depends on your skills, not your qualification.

1. Skill
2. experience
3. qualification

If you think the salary is enough for your skill or your design level, just take it.

p/s: can you show me your portfolio?
SUSDavid83
post Nov 11 2006, 01:27 AM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
52,874 posts

RM 1.4k is considered quite low IMHO.

I have been starting to complain that RM 1.8k is low. biggrin.gif
abc2005
post Nov 11 2006, 01:47 AM

UNIVERSE is my CATALOGUE
2,076 posts

i'm really pissed off with the current job market, both in gov and in private. What's actually happening in M'sia? Why the pay always doesn't commensurate with qualifications and the inflations of prices in almost everything. Life's getting harder day by day, especially when the water and electric bills up. The gov is still acting like shit when it's supposed to take care of ppl welfare and hardships. Why not just peg the paycheques with current inflation rates, starting with water and petrol?Damn! vmad.gif
Hevrn
post Nov 11 2006, 02:47 AM

4,016 posts

yea i agree...while everything around us seems to be goin up, salaries still remain low...for those low earners, expenses may exceed income which is unfair
luqmanz
post Nov 11 2006, 10:49 AM

Trading Geek
2,144 posts

I strongly agree with narf03. You can make good money in any field of work. The most important thing is to realize that good pay is only for experts. And to become an expert, you need to put a lot of energy and time. Many people tried to do something because they had seen others making money in it. At the end, they still didnt get what they want. They did not survive to see the money. To make sure you can survive to see the money, you must do what you're interested in and have talents for it. If you use your interest/talent you will :

1) Do your job better
2) Will never hate your job
3) Anyone can work hard, but talented/interested people can accomplish alot-lot more than untalented/uninterested people. 24 hours of interested people is not the same as 24 hours of the uninterested.
4) As a result, you can win the competition and see the money.

QUOTE(sentro2020 @ Nov 10 2006, 05:58 PM)
well, my interest would be more focus on pc hardware,troubleshooting n technical .... but if i were given a chance to work as technician in sumthin new like telco company, i can give a try n willing to learn as well ... cos my basic interest is in technical ....

but honestly, i never work in technical department b4. i worked in customer service contact centre, maxis centre, and some part time sales before ....

Im sure that if i wan to work in a certain department, even its not in my interest list, i can work hard for it ... thats what i believe.....

the reason i change so many job is because of contract ... i spend 60% of my job life in contact centre n i keep change ... because contact centre is contract and its hard to be permanent ...

So, basically, where should i start ? which company should i try ?n wad position ? i promise i'll work hard n strive management level if possible smile.gif
I'm an IT person.
Generally, IT job can be divided into 2 technical areas. Networking and programming. PC troubleshooting is way too basic in IT field.

For programming you may want to look into Java,SAP,Oracle,.Net. Several years into these areas, you make 5 digits.
For networking... you will need to earn CCNA,CCNP and CCIE one day. CCIE salary is 5 digits basics, if I'm not ill-informed. doh.gif

Like narf03 said, only you understand yourself. Take a look into those areas if you like and see if you really like them. Dont let the money entice you. Interest comes first. Whatever you do, dont forget to look at the market.

QUOTE(e-jump @ Nov 10 2006, 08:00 PM)
Off Topic
Ok, I'm from EE Background -> Computer Engineering freshie. The thing is, I really hate software development, while I'm keen to Network/System Engineer Jobs than electronics/semiconductors.
Since all my prev education might not even help me in my job interest, juz how low bad am I compared to Thread Starter's situation (he may lack education, but he got working experience while I dont) sad.gif
You just need to start somewhere. You may want to study for CCNA to help you get a netwroking job. If the pay isnt attractive, just take the job anyway and work several years. Keep improving your skills. A low pay job with better future is better than a high pay job that has no future.

This post has been edited by luqmanz: Nov 11 2006, 10:54 AM
fyire
post Nov 11 2006, 11:02 AM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
VIP
9,270 posts

QUOTE(luqmanz @ Nov 11 2006, 10:49 AM)
Generally, IT job can be divided into 2 technical areas. Networking and programming. PC troubleshooting is way too basic in IT field.

Just to add further, I'll be categorizing the types into the following instead:
- Development work (aka programming)
- Systems

Systems includes Networking, but also includes stuff like:
- Databases
- O/S Support for like HPUX, Solaris, the different unix
- System support for stuff like eDirectory, Exchange, the big enterprise packages
- etc

Interesting thing to note here is that although Databases may seem like it ties in a lot to do with programming, it isnt the case. A dedicated DBA for something like Oracle or DB2 can mean the success or failure of any large scale project, especially when there's massive data migrations required, and the DBA only takes care of the database related issues in such a situation.

But anyways, despite the 2 categories, there's definetely no way a person can remain purely in one area. Developers will need to understand to a certain extend, the system that they're working with or deploying to, and System Engineers should be at least able to do simple development work for their own use, stuff like the various shell scripts, and so on.
rexis
post Nov 11 2006, 11:20 AM

*** 7-star status Old Bird ***
3,590 posts

The market rate for a degree holder is RM1800. Last time I got a job at popular as a shop keeper has offered me RM1200.

So you say RM1400 is low or not.

Therefore, unless you are really interested in that job, you wont feel statisfied. And expect yourself to work like a cow.

No interest, low pay, and you wont be able to perform in that job, you are just wasting your time.

This post has been edited by rexis: Nov 11 2006, 11:21 AM
YapChinHoong
post Nov 11 2006, 03:23 PM

Cisco Fanatic!
663 posts

QUOTE(luqmanz @ Nov 11 2006, 10:49 AM)
I strongly agree with narf03. You can make good money in any field of work. The most important thing is to realize that good pay is only for experts. And to become an expert, you need to put a lot of energy and time. Many people tried to do something because they had seen others making money in it. At the end, they still didnt get what they want. They did not survive to see the money. To make sure you can survive to see the money, you must do what you're interested in and have talents for it. If you use your interest/talent you will :

1) Do your job better
2) Will never hate your job
3) Anyone can work hard, but talented/interested people can accomplish alot-lot more than untalented/uninterested people. 24 hours of interested people is not the same as 24 hours of the uninterested.
4) As a result, you can win the competition and see the money.
I'm an IT person.

For programming you may want to look into Java,SAP,Oracle,.Net. Several years into these areas, you make 5 digits.
For networking... you will need to earn CCNA,CCNP and CCIE one day. CCIE salary is 5 digits basics, if I'm not ill-informed.  doh.gif

Like narf03 said, only you understand yourself. Take a look into those areas if you like and see if you really like them. Dont let the money entice you. Interest comes first. Whatever you do, dont forget to look at the market.
You just need to start somewhere. You may want to study for CCNA to help you get a netwroking job. If the pay isnt attractive, just take the job anyway and work several years. Keep improving your skills. A low pay job with better future is better than a high pay job that has no future.
Seconded. icon_rolleyes.gif
vincentlee
post Nov 11 2006, 03:50 PM

★★★7Star★General★★★
2,108 posts

7/ Eleven

management trainee = RM1000
shop keeper = RM750

vincentlws
post Nov 11 2006, 05:17 PM

Getting Started
168 posts

starting 1.4k without experiece is ok la....u can't expect someone paying u 2k if got nothing
kb2005
post Nov 11 2006, 08:05 PM

Yahoo!
All Stars
17,379 posts

QUOTE(vincentlws @ Nov 11 2006, 05:17 PM)
starting 1.4k without experiece is ok la....u can't expect someone paying u 2k if got nothing
Then what for you take Degree since Diploma holder can get 1.5k easily in Penang. biggrin.gif

4 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0157sec    0.58    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:45 PM