Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages  1 2 3 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

My Career at Age 30, I am earning decently but.....

views

TSg_kw2
post Jul 21 2015, 04:18 PM, updated 9y ago

Casual
316 posts

I started my career as a product executive and with the support of my ex boss. I'm able to take charge of one of the product I think consider quite important to the company. During when I took over the product, it was just a very small portfolio with RM20k sales per month. I managed to increase the sales to RM800,000 per month and with extra fund for marketing. My last salary was RM2,600 with all the allowances.

I was happy and satisfied with the work until I was given a chance to be an Assistant Manager in one of the top bank in Malaysia, I was 23 by then. I was put charge to one of the banking product. Starting by doing some marketing to increase the revenue of the product I then did my analysis and found that in order to really get exponential growth on the product, it needed to have some change to the business model. I put in my presentation and present it to my immediate supervisor, the idea was rejected as it involved quite a large sum of investment not just on operations but we will also need a new system which requires a lot of money. My idea somehow get into the Division Head and he think that that is the only way to go. I was put in charge of the project lead by engaging different departments, different country to start of this project and was given a budget of RM20+ million to start of the system enhancement. My last salary was RM4,250.

At the age of 25, I left the company to pursue with entrepreneurship. Started a company to do manufacturing and wholesaling of computer and mobile accessories, started another company on cafe as well as another company on Internet business. All the business failed within the 2 years I was involved and I nearly burned all the money given to me by the investors. I had no choice but to liquidate everything and shut down all the companies.

At age 27, I went back to life as an employee. I was hired as a contract by the company who got the tender for the project I created when I was working in the bank. I was back to the very project I created only this time I was put in charge on the system rather than focusing on the business. My title is Project Director and I oversee everything from product to project to business. But the company is too small to expand the way I like it to which is very sad case. The project I handle ended and we've got ourselves an award given by very prestigious association. However we do not have any new projects nor we have any resource to develop any new product to market. I left after the contract ended. My last salary was RM8,000 without EPF, Socso.

I look for a job after my contract near to an end. I got myself a job as a Project Manager at one of the top local IT vendor. I was promoted to be the Head of the department handling 6 Project Managers and a few project team with project team of more than 60 people. I am managing regional projects worth multi millions and getting a five figure salary.

Today I am 31 and I started to feel loss. I managed all the project well and I have set good directions to all the Project Managers and I was involved in all major project decision but I just felt loss. I do not have any sense of achievement nor job satisfaction. I do not learn anything new and was not given the authority to change something to the company because I think my immediate superior would not like to have any sort of change to the company. Day in day out I'm just settling problems for projects, customers, timeline.

I can no longer get any promotion because my immediate boss is the MD of the company and he reports to the chairman. There is no challenging work that requires me to utilize my analytical skills or creativity skills or requires me to look at any strategy or direction for the company. I felt so loss but I have no place to go.... It's not like when I was young and I can go anywhere I like at the very bottom. There isn't enough demand for a job that I like at the very top of a company.

I just felt that I need to move on before "comfort zone" kicks in. I wish to go to larger company at a position which can really makes a difference in the company future.

This post has been edited by g_kw2: Jul 21 2015, 05:40 PM
whyseej00
post Jul 21 2015, 04:26 PM

Enthusiast
729 posts

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

Find your passion, do more charity, have a goal other than money. Hopefully you might find the burning fire again

Also, if you wanna start a biz or something, let me know. Maybe we can brainstorm or bounce ideas of each other

cmcx1993
post Jul 21 2015, 04:29 PM

20 posts

I want become macai too..
low yat 82
post Jul 21 2015, 04:35 PM

tried to b vegan, but never success :P
4,042 posts

its time for u to concentrate on other things in life. i.e. family. d stability like this is wat uusual people seek when they wanted to setup a family.

u need to noe wat u wan to achieve in ur life. working wit things u like is always advantage, but not all love wat they do.
tstan8_8
post Jul 21 2015, 04:42 PM

Regular
1,005 posts

Pround of u, Can u lead me? I am account student.
malayo
post Jul 21 2015, 05:02 PM

Getting Started
206 posts

try other company?
feekle
post Jul 21 2015, 05:09 PM

Bibo ergo sum!
1,922 posts

Venture to other industry then..seems u like challenges
3rdEdition
post Jul 21 2015, 05:17 PM

Getting Started
210 posts

join other startup companies. like kfit.
ZZMsia
post Jul 21 2015, 10:05 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,303 posts

QUOTE(g_kw2 @ Jul 21 2015, 04:18 AM)
I started my career as a product executive and with the support of my ex boss. I'm able to take charge of one of the product I think consider quite important to the company. During when I took over the product, it was just a very small portfolio with RM20k sales per month. I managed to increase the sales to RM800,000 per month and with extra fund for marketing. My last salary was RM2,600 with all the allowances.

I was happy and satisfied with the work until I was given a chance to be an Assistant Manager in one of the top bank in Malaysia, I was 23 by then. I was put charge to one of the banking product. Starting by doing some marketing to increase the revenue of the product I then did my analysis and found that in order to really get exponential growth on the product, it needed to have some change to the business model. I put in my presentation and present it to my immediate supervisor, the idea was rejected as it involved quite a large sum of investment not just on operations but we will also need a new system which requires a lot of money. My idea somehow get into the Division Head and he think that that is the only way to go. I was put in charge of the project lead by engaging different departments, different country to start of this project and was given a budget of RM20+ million to start of the system enhancement. My last salary was RM4,250.

At the age of 25, I left the company to pursue with entrepreneurship. Started a company to do manufacturing and wholesaling of computer and mobile accessories, started another company on cafe as well as another company on Internet business. All the business failed within the 2 years I was involved and I nearly burned all the money given to me by the investors. I had no choice but to liquidate everything and shut down all the companies.

At age 27, I went back to life as an employee. I was hired as a contract by the company who got the tender for the project I created when I was working in the bank. I was back to the very project I created only this time I was put in charge on the system rather than focusing on the business. My title is Project Director and I oversee everything from product to project to business. But the company is too small to expand the way I like it to which is very sad case. The project I handle ended and we've got ourselves an award given by very prestigious association. However we do not have any new projects nor we have any resource to develop any new product to market. I left after the contract ended. My last salary was RM8,000 without EPF, Socso.

I look for a job after my contract near to an end. I got myself a job as a Project Manager at one of the top local IT vendor. I was promoted to be the Head of the department handling 6 Project Managers and a few project team with project team of more than 60 people. I am managing regional projects worth multi millions and getting a five figure salary.

Today I am 31 and I started to feel loss. I managed all the project well and I have set good directions to all the Project Managers and I was involved in all major project decision but I just felt loss. I do not have any sense of achievement nor job satisfaction. I do not learn anything new and was not given the authority to change something to the company because I think my immediate superior would not like to have any sort of change to the company. Day in day out I'm just settling problems for projects, customers, timeline.

I can no longer get any promotion because my immediate boss is the MD of the company and he reports to the chairman. There is no challenging work that requires me to utilize my analytical skills or creativity skills or requires me to look at any strategy or direction for the company. I felt so loss but I have no place to go.... It's not like when I was young and I can go anywhere I like at the very bottom. There isn't enough demand for a job that I like at the very top of a company.

I just felt that I need to move on before "comfort zone" kicks in. I wish to go to larger company at a position which can really makes a difference in the company future.
I would suggest you to go for a new job, new CHALLENGE if and only if you have a good backup in the form of cash savings..

ZZMsia
post Jul 21 2015, 10:09 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,303 posts

QUOTE(whyseej00 @ Jul 21 2015, 04:26 AM)
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

Find your passion, do more charity, have a goal other than money. Hopefully you might find the burning fire again

Also, if you wanna start a biz or something, let me know. Maybe we can brainstorm or bounce ideas of each other
Think you will become successful at a startup, you might source for funding from this forum..
knwong
post Jul 21 2015, 10:15 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,951 posts

You need a MENTOR. You are filling lost NOT because you don't have challenges or work to do.

Find another successful person who is willing to coach you. Someone who can talk alike, constructive discussion, inspiring and motivating each other

I think your boss or superior can't provide you that. Also there's a limit to oneself when it comes to self motivation. You may have reach that LIMIT

This post has been edited by knwong: Jul 21 2015, 10:40 PM
firecrac
post Jul 21 2015, 10:31 PM

Casual
344 posts

hahaha... i felt the same, at an year older than u, but of course i do not earn as good.

i had this discussion with some closed friend before, and come to conclusion, it might because we tasted the entrepreneurship before, that is why we can never satisfy as entrepreneur got no limit, only sky is the limit, while working for others is totally different ball game
smile.gif

This post has been edited by firecrac: Jul 21 2015, 10:37 PM
knwong
post Jul 21 2015, 10:39 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,951 posts

QUOTE(firecrac @ Jul 21 2015, 10:31 PM)
hahaha... i felt the same, at an year older than u, but of course i do not earn as good.

i had this discussion with some closed friend before, and come to conclusion, it might because we tasted the entrepreneurship before, that is why we can never satisfy as entrepreneur got no limit, only sky is the limit.

smile.gif
Not true. TIME is your limit

yo_yo
post Jul 21 2015, 11:31 PM

Casual
337 posts

well, i believe many of us can empathise with your current situation.

if money and time is not an issue, what do you wanna do? i know you mentioned more challenging, but what kind? if you have identified, what's preventing you from achieving what you want?

have you thought of having a hobby or new hobby?
aiskrimcup
post Jul 22 2015, 08:48 AM

Enthusiast
750 posts

Yes bro, can feel you, especially when the comfort zone kicking in. Better find new challenge to spark the fire again
pizi87
post Jul 22 2015, 09:23 AM

Casual
334 posts

get some advice from people who have made it ie successful businessman, entrepreneurs on what options can be considered.

You may want to try new setups in Malaysia like iflix.com or try something abroad that has young spirit and talent and aggressive for expansion
fadzy640
post Jul 22 2015, 12:51 PM

Getting Started
131 posts

go back to school. learn something. make new friends.
TSg_kw2
post Jul 22 2015, 12:56 PM

Casual
316 posts

QUOTE(knwong @ Jul 21 2015, 10:15 PM)
You need a MENTOR. You are filling lost NOT because you don't have challenges or work to do.

Find another successful person who is willing to coach you. Someone who can talk alike, constructive discussion, inspiring and motivating each other

I think your boss or superior can't provide you that. Also there's a limit to oneself when it comes to self motivation. You may have reach that LIMIT
I think that's exactly what I'm lack off and do not have a way to get one.....

QUOTE(yo_yo @ Jul 21 2015, 11:31 PM)
well, i believe many of us can empathise with your current situation.

if money and time is not an issue, what do you wanna do? i know you mentioned more challenging, but what kind? if you have identified, what's preventing you from achieving what you want?

have you thought of having a hobby or new hobby?
If money and time is not an issue, I'll be investing in startup that I think could potentially make a different, but there is a limit in Malaysia's startup ... I'll possibly be going into different companies or different organization to change or improve their structure or process for better...
abuga
post Jul 22 2015, 03:35 PM

6 posts

QUOTE(g_kw2 @ Jul 21 2015, 04:18 PM)
Your sense of discomfort is completely understandable.

A larger company at a position which can make a difference is a C-Level position. Your current position at ANY large company is purely function - unless you like playing politics. But it is a leadership position nonetheless and you should be proud of the difference your leadership can make on a day to day basis. Maybe, instead of functional challenges, you can focus on the lives of the people you lead. Set yourself to make those lives happier and better. Or not.

The important thing to focus on is not that you cannot grow upwards or that you'll be bored. The important thing is the pride you have in your people.

If you wish to move up higher in the value chain to submit your CV to Robert Walters and other boutique recruitment firms. Make sure your Linked In profile is up-to-date and well written.

Given your meteoric rise to the top of the earning pyramid, I suggest you find a suitable distraction such as founding a start-up. You sound like you have a good set of skills to lead and manage. But keep your job.

You can start up a creative multimedia studio or re-sell tech products not yet available in the SEA region. The former stretches your creativity into a new area you have not explored while leveraging your management and sales skills. The latter also presents a different set of challenges while still within your skill set.

Over time, your empire will expand to a point where you can give up the full time job smile.gif
whyseej00
post Jul 22 2015, 04:08 PM

Enthusiast
729 posts

QUOTE(ZZMsia @ Jul 21 2015, 10:09 PM)
Think you will become successful at a startup, you might source for funding from this forum..
You interested? Let's meet up! Or gather some like minded people to start something....

Now's the time to chase after our dreams and passion when we are young!

4 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0223sec    0.52    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:08 PM