Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> IF I want to buy an EV today, what are my options?, in Malaysia

views

TSEnergyAnalyst
post Jul 2 2015, 12:45 PM

Regular
Group: Senior Member

QUOTE(IpohLad @ Jul 2 2015, 11:53 AM)
<a href='http://<link removed>/2015/04/23/renault-zoe-and-twizy-evs-now-open-for-booking-estimated-to-be-priced-at-under-rm140k-and-rm70k/' target='_blank'>Renault Zoe & Twizy open for booking</a>
link is broken, but can see it is paultan article dated 23 April 2015, it also said will finalised price by May 2015, but that has gone passed without any firm price. Curious though about Twizy, can we drive it on normal tarmac, read somewhere it is restricted on certain area
TSEnergyAnalyst
post Jul 2 2015, 12:48 PM

Regular

QUOTE(acbc @ Jul 2 2015, 11:55 AM)
My supplier has one. She installed 2 chargers - home and office. Each she wants to go out must check Waze / Google Maps for traffic conditions. Haha. If too congested, she will drive her C Class.

I guess she's worried battery low charge and no place to top up. But I told her, not until like that la. Looks like people still need to learn to have confidence in electric car.
house very far from office , more than 100km may be? biggrin.gif
IpohLad
post Jul 2 2015, 03:21 PM

Group: Junior Member

QUOTE(EnergyAnalyst @ Jul 2 2015, 05:45 AM)
link is broken, but can see it is paultan article dated 23 April 2015, it also said will finalised price by May 2015, but that  has gone passed without any firm price. Curious though about Twizy, can we drive it on normal tarmac, read somewhere it is restricted on certain area
Sorry about that. Probably not allow to link.

<a href='http://<link removed>/2015/04/23/renault-zoe-and-twizy-evs-now-open-for-booking-estimated-to-be-priced-at-under-rm140k-and-rm70k/' target='_blank'>http://<link removed>/2015/04/23/renault-zoe-...140k-and-rm70k/</a>

This is Malaysia not Singapore so efficiency is not their ethos.

This post has been edited by IpohLad: Jul 2 2015, 03:23 PM
TSEnergyAnalyst
post Nov 18 2015, 03:07 PM

Regular

http://www.benchmarkmonitor.com/tesla-moto...-launch/185695/

Tesla Motors Inc (NASDAQ:TSLA) Approaches Malaysia For Model S 70D And Model S 85 Launch

Tesla Motors Inc (NASDAQ:TSLA) intends to bring its electric sedans on Malaysia roads offering its drivers an opportunity to have a ride on its two brand new car models. In a company’s announcement it was revealed that it would officially launch its brand new Model S 70D along with Model S 85 luxury sedan in Malaysia in the second half of 2015. However, consumers would not be able to buy the electric cars until January or February of next year at the earliest.

The present signs are that Malaysian Green Technology Corporation or MGTC will buy 120 Tesla Motors vehicles then the cars will be offered under a leasing program for a two year period. The EVs could be sold to government officials or other government-linked companies by the end of the 2 year lease. MGTC will directly run the complete operation.

The notion behind MGTC’s buying and then offering the cars for lease is to allow policy makers along with concerned stakeholders to recognize the gains of electric vehicles. For that cause, they are offering a sample of the technology for use. The program also aligns with the most recent push to take its electric mobility plan to the vanguard.

MGTC is appeared to be prepared for deploying 120 Tesla Motors’ Model S units. This will encompass a mix of the all wheel drive 70D and the real wheel drive 85 variant models. Ahmad Hadri Haris, GreenTech CEO has given an explanation on the rationale for selecting to purchase Tesla’s models, saying that the size and operating range of the cars were key consideration in forming the decision.

He said that Tesla Motors’ vehicles were only meeting the parameters of GreenTech established for the program. The overall disposition and type of sedan went well aligned with the use of the Model S as official cars. He said that no other electric vehicle satisfied the requisites for becoming an official car and Tesla car is attractive with 400 km range.

Leasing costs are not finalized yet, according to Ahmad Hadri and it is expected to be almost RM6,000 a month.

Tesla Motors Inc (NASDAQ:TSLA)’s stock on 18 May traded at beginning with a price of $247.00 and when day-trade ended the stock finally decreased -0.04% to end at $248.75. Tesla Motors Inc (NASDAQ:TSLA)’s showed weekly performance of 3.87%.

TSEnergyAnalyst
post Nov 18 2015, 03:16 PM

Regular

http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/busines...rt-in-july-2016

http://transport.asiaone.com/news/general/...elow-40000-2017

Are These still On?

This post has been edited by EnergyAnalyst: Nov 18 2015, 03:29 PM
IpohLad
post Nov 18 2015, 07:42 PM

QUOTE(EnergyAnalyst @ Nov 18 2015, 08:16 AM)
I assume they talking about the BYD E6. It's a cheap Chinese EV.
1234kingbling
post Nov 19 2015, 02:54 AM

Getting Started

I would only get one, if someone comes up with a power bank to charge the car. laugh.gif
KennyKB
post Nov 19 2015, 10:29 AM

Regular

It doesn't make financial or practical sense to buy an EV at the moment. You are paying much more than a petrol driven car for a car with limited range and hence limited practical usage. Any saving in petrol cannot be justified by price of car + electric bill.

If you are an environmentalist with different motivation then its different but even then the carbon footprint of EV isn't as good as you think.
IpohLad
post Nov 19 2015, 11:54 AM

QUOTE(KennyKB @ Nov 19 2015, 03:29 AM)
It doesn't make financial or practical sense to buy an EV at the moment. You are paying much more than a petrol driven car for a car with limited range and hence limited practical usage. Any saving in petrol cannot be justified by price of car + electric bill.

If you are an environmentalist with different motivation then its different but even then the carbon footprint of EV isn't as good as you think.
Agreed. For average joe in Malaysia doesn't make sense at the moment. Till the petrol hit RM6-7 per litre then it make perfect sense.

In terms of carbon footprint of EV you might want to search for "well to wheel" carbon footprint. You might find it very intriguing and educating. EV is not an environment saint. However even with its dirty batteries production it still a lot environmentally friendlier than any fossil fuel car in long run. Even better if it run on renewable energy.
TSEnergyAnalyst
post May 1 2019, 10:06 PM

Regular

Nissan Malaysia to extend its lineup; four models on cards
Published: Today By Ajay Singh, 199 Views

KUALA LUMPUR: Nissan Malaysia passenger car lineup currently consists of Almera, Serena S-Hybrid, X-Trail facelift, and Navara pickup. Apart from this, the brand has three commercial vehicles on offer. However, all is going to change soon, as Edaran Tan Chong Motor (ETCM), Sales and Marketing Director Chris Tan during X-Trail’s media drive said that the company would launch a new model in the country within six months of its debut in the neighboring countries, Thailand and Indonesia to be specific. Thus, giving us hopes to meet new Nissan cars soon.

We are expecting to get out hands on the new N18 Nissan Almera. This fourth-gen sedan would be introduced with the much anticipated B-segment crossover, the Nissan Kicks. Mr. Tan, during the media drive also revealed that the all-new Nissan Sylphy unveiling would follow the Almera introduction in the Malaysian market.

Though the actual timeline of the launches is not revealed by the company, however, it’s known that the ASEAN spec Kicks will arrive ‘very soon. The crossover’s arrival will be followed by the new Almera that recently made its debut in North America as Versa.

In its new version, the Nissan sedan sits on the V-platform that’s a product of the Renault-Nissan Alliance and can be found on new March/Micra. Design-wise, the new Almera has taken a radical jump over the ongoing model that was introduced back in 2012. While the exterior wear’s a sharp suit, the cabin gets a contemporary look and feel.

Further, Mr. Tan said that the company is under no plans to bring back the Teana nameplate which it dropped a while ago for the Malaysian market. So, no fifth-gen L33 Teana for us . What we’ll be getting is the all-electric second-gen Leaf, the car is expected to make a mid-year debut.

https://www.zigwheels.my/car-news/nissan-ma...models-on-cards

This post has been edited by EnergyAnalyst: May 1 2019, 10:07 PM
Bjorn1688
post May 2 2019, 12:01 AM

Regular

We currently have a Renault Zoe loaned to us.

Thus far one of the biggest issue with it is it takes too long to charge.

Other than that its a pretty decent car for as long as you don't go too far with it.

There are better EVs out there though and personally I'd like to see the Hyundai Kona and Ioniq EV being brought in, the Leaf is good too. i3 too expensive.
TSEnergyAnalyst
post May 2 2019, 12:56 AM

Regular

QUOTE(Bjorn1688 @ May 2 2019, 12:01 AM)
We currently have a Renault Zoe loaned to us.

Thus far one of the biggest issue with it is it takes too long to charge.

Other than that its a pretty decent car for as long as you don't go too far with it.

There are better EVs out there though and personally I'd like to see the Hyundai Kona and Ioniq EV being brought in, the Leaf is good too. i3 too expensive.
I thought Renault only has Twizy offered no in Malaysia. At least that is what I can see from Malaysian website

I think EV from Hyundai will be Indonesia built, at least that was the plan but the factory need to come up first

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/busine...ectric-11050052

Unless the6 come in CBUs which I am.not sure local Malaysian dealer has any plan or approval to import at all.

boonhan
post May 2 2019, 12:59 AM

Reader

i saw tesla model 3 and model s in one utama.
look so nice and quiet driving.

much be very rich to afford them.
Bjorn1688
post May 2 2019, 01:04 AM

Regular

QUOTE(EnergyAnalyst @ May 2 2019, 12:56 AM)
I thought Renault only has Twizy offered no in Malaysia. At least that is what I can see from Malaysian website

I think EV from Hyundai  will be Indonesia built, at least that was the plan but the factory need to come up first

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/busine...ectric-11050052

Unless the6 come in CBUs which I am.not sure local Malaysian dealer has any plan or approval to import at all.
Both the Twizzy and Zoe were sold by TCESB in 2016, sold for around RM150k, they did not bring in very many units, if I remember correctly it was <100 and vast majority of them were sold to COMOS.
SupermanLick
post May 2 2019, 01:09 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(EnergyAnalyst @ Jul 1 2015, 10:53 AM)
only through grey imports?

can i do it at all?

Just curious....
Car must be cheaper than MalaYsiaVechIe . Fast charging.low maintenance . Electricity bill must be cheaper than natural gas
Unfortunately is not today
TSEnergyAnalyst
post May 12 2019, 10:34 PM

Regular

White knight from China..

https://www.thestar.com.my/business/busines...o-chinese-firm/
TSEnergyAnalyst
post Jun 12 2019, 07:33 AM

Regular

https://www.bharian.com.my/bisnes/korporat/...-dua-tahun-lagi

Volvo Car Malaysia Sdn Bhd merancang membawa masuk kereta elektrik pertamanya (EV) ke pasaran Malaysia dalam tempoh dua tahun akan datang.....

.....Pengarah Urusannya, Nalin Jain, bagaimanapun tidak mendedahkan model EV apa yang mahu dibawa masuk ke pasaran tempatan nanti....
jumpstat
post Jun 12 2019, 08:12 AM

Regular

Wouldnt mind owning a model 3 tesla if it ever reached here. Only gripe would be the road tax structure. Following current rate, the road tax would be in the region of around RM6.6k.

Bump Topic Add ReplyOptions New Topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0722sec    1.60    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 20th June 2019 - 03:49 AM