Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Living with one salary, What's life like with one working spouse

views

TSdavewave
post Jun 29 2015, 04:28 PM, updated 9y ago

Getting Started
79 posts

Dear Spouses,

Are one of you a stay-at-home parent or spouse?
When both of you decided on this, what were the most important changes to your lives?
What was the biggest challenge? Was it finance?

(For me and my wife, currently our biggest challenge may be finance. No, she has to stay-at-home: many reasons. If you could give advice on how you managed your finances, I would really appreciate it too.)

Thank you, kind people.

Note: I apologise if you send me a post and I don't reply immediately. But I shall certainly reply when I can. I may see your post only tonight or tomorrow. I'm very sorry. Thank you so much.
yhzell
post Jun 29 2015, 04:31 PM

Getting Started
88 posts

Stay at home, can work from home. Because if you income stream was cut down, then the other spouse might have to earn slightly higher to cover the portion that missed.
LeonOni
post Jun 29 2015, 04:39 PM

Getting Started
197 posts

hello,
you can ask your wife to work from home also.. Just for additional income if really 1 side income not enough.. but make sure she can take the working pressure and responsible..
Snoopie
post Jun 30 2015, 06:43 AM

b|ack bεauтy
693 posts

I've always wanted my wife to be a stayed home mum, but with today situation in Malaysia, it is impossible unless you are earning 5 figure and do not have commitment for a house. Till the day when i start to earned 5 figure for my paycheck, then it is when my wife can be tai tai. biggrin.gif
TSdavewave
post Jun 30 2015, 05:57 PM

Getting Started
79 posts

QUOTE(Snoopie @ Jun 30 2015, 06:43 AM)
I've always wanted my wife to be a stayed home mum, but with today situation in Malaysia, it is impossible unless you are earning 5 figure and do not have commitment for a house. Till the day when i start to earned 5 figure for my paycheck, then it is when my wife can be tai tai. biggrin.gif
That's quite sad isn't it.
TSdavewave
post Jun 30 2015, 06:00 PM

Getting Started
79 posts

QUOTE(LeonOni @ Jun 29 2015, 04:39 PM)
hello,
you can ask your wife to work from home also.. Just for additional income if really 1 side income not enough.. but make sure she can take the working pressure and responsible..
Thanks, that's a kind suggestion. smile.gif
SUSPh 7.00
post Jun 30 2015, 06:02 PM

Casual
309 posts

IMO, the spouse doesn't to have to make that much, just enough to cover the food for a month is good already. Then can up to cover the bill and utilities. bit by bit.
LeonOni
post Jul 1 2015, 01:13 PM

Getting Started
197 posts

QUOTE(davewave @ Jun 30 2015, 06:00 PM)
Thanks, that's a kind suggestion.  smile.gif
icon_rolleyes.gif No problem!
qtee
post Jul 6 2015, 12:58 PM

Getting Started
73 posts

My husband and I have the similar income and I quit my job due to personal matters.
After quitting, I cook dinner for almost 5 days a week. If eat out, will just eat normal. But will still enjoy 1-2 good meals in every month.
We don't earn 5 figures and still need to pay back the house and car loan, I will say still ok. Unless you want some luxury life style like eating good every day, go cafe frequently, shopping, then maybe not so easy.
Nitrous
post Jul 8 2015, 02:56 PM

Getting Started
202 posts

Ideally, it would be nice to have a stay-home mother while father goes to work. In reality, this arrangement is very prone to loss of income.
My family is an example, my wife earns considerably less than I do, hence she decide to stay home to take care of the newborn. It was fine and dandy till this year, where I am slated to lose my job soon (move to cheaper country). Panic will set in unfortunately, and pressure would be immense trying to secure the next job to ensure that the family still have food on the table.
ezekiel_77
post Jul 17 2015, 10:40 PM

Five Star Fuzz McFuzz
848 posts

My friend is the working dad while his wife resigned to take care of her kid. They survived by cooking at home more often and going out less. One thing they said was to never compromise for the kid. So if she likes reading, must buy books for her, encourage her.

It gets tough really, he was once my minum kaki but he hasn't come out with his friends this year. Luxuries also never buy anymore (or save longer). The upside is, his family is very happy and close-knit because always spend time with each other.
SUSsupersound
post Jul 19 2015, 07:52 PM

10k Club
11,554 posts

QUOTE(ezekiel_77 @ Jul 17 2015, 10:40 PM)
My friend is the working dad while his wife resigned to take care of her kid. They survived by cooking at home more often and going out less. One thing they said was to never compromise for the kid. So if she likes reading, must buy books for her, encourage her.

It gets tough really, he was once my minum kaki but he hasn't come out with his friends this year. Luxuries also never buy anymore (or save longer). The upside is, his family is very happy and close-knit because always spend time with each other.
Drink less alcohol will result to heartier sperm, lower blood pressure and safe money.
Stop drinking only have pros over cons.
So your friend basically make the right move.
joachim7615
post Jul 23 2015, 03:26 PM

Getting Started
55 posts

Nowadays, out there provide many working opportunity for lady who have to stay at home after pregnancy, and you can try work from home.
Why not try out jobstreet.com??
Also, you can try to import things such as phone casing or shirt, and you can sell it online. That's one of the work from home too!
Good luck!
tx5794
post Feb 17 2016, 12:14 AM

12 posts

QUOTE(supersound @ Jul 19 2015, 07:52 PM)
Drink less alcohol will result to heartier sperm, lower blood pressure and safe money.
Stop drinking only have pros over cons.
So your friend basically make the right move.
I always draw inspiration from this 30 yo guy, both him and his wife retired at 30 yo with a kid and he works a normal job just like everyone of us. Just follow some of his practical steps

http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2013/02/22/...-one-blog-post/
kiwijuice
post Feb 17 2016, 10:17 AM

Getting Started
65 posts

one of my friend (lady) quite fixed income job to work part time as interior designer and insurance agent. So that she is more flexible to take care of her 2 children (around 3 and 4 years old). She is working from home now. Sometimes need to travel to customer place for discussion.

panda-man
post Feb 17 2016, 10:31 AM

PSN: hutazi
2,687 posts

you can live on a single salary, but you gotta be frugal unless you have the big bucks. its about saving smart. can save by eating at home and being smart about groceries (look for promo items, use cash back cards, etc). since spouse is at home, they can prepare dinner, or just prepare simple food yourself for the family dinner if he/she is busy with baby all day.

i started saving 30-50% of my salary from my first paycheck till i was 26 (earn less than 3k), stayed with parents so all money on PS3 games sweat.gif) then switched to saving 60-70% till 30 (earn less than 5k and took public transport and wife was workign) stopped buying new PS3 games and started buying 2nd hand games hahah. it wasnt that hard. you just gotta give up 'keeping up with the jones' syndrome. now im saving less than before (like 10%) because im living in my own place with wife (housewife) and son and need to pay loan, but can consider loan as savings too as that is my own house that i can sell later so doesnt really matter.

we live a simple life in a serviced condo (owner), i drive a myvi (which i love), eat out a few times a week. run an android box so no astro bill. but i think im still living a pretty good life. spend money on my son mainly. im not earning as much as i hoped at this age (<6k), but still doing well and manage to travel overseas with family at least 1x per year.

to all parents, well anyone out there really. you need to look at your spending habits. remember sikit sikit jadi bukit. whether saving or spending. if everyday you spend on unnecessary things (cigs, that goreng pisang, 100plus, layan telepon call etc) then of course you will feel it. when you buy it you dont feel its expensive, but over the course of the day it adds up. stop impulse buying. the main thing i try to tell people is give up smoking... if you smoke 3-5 packs per week and then you stop... you can save around RM3000/annum. and thats just from cigs. can cover flight tix for 2+1 whistling.gif

anyways. just my poorfag 20sen.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0173sec    0.34    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:36 PM