Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

What are you looking for in a job?, Advice needed! Thx!

views

midnightoil9191
post Jul 8 2015, 01:09 PM

Getting Started
53 posts

QUOTE(dellmee @ Jul 8 2015, 09:45 AM)
I am a fresh graduate student this year and I am also try to find a job for myself. Now only I realized that how bad the market is. Quite hard to find a job now.  T.T cry.gif  cry.gif  cry.gif
I feel your pain too! I had so much problems finding a job during my job hunt period. Also, I was being very picky because I wanted to work in a place with good company culture, doing a job that I felt happy to do.

I realised a lot of us in Gen Y and after all look more at job satisfaction now. For me, it even outweighs salary. What about you?
dellmee
post Jul 8 2015, 02:21 PM

3 posts

QUOTE(midnightoil9191 @ Jul 8 2015, 01:09 PM)
I feel your pain too! I had so much problems finding a job during my job hunt period. Also, I was being very picky because I wanted to work in a place with good company culture, doing a job that I felt happy to do.

I realised a lot of us in Gen Y and after all look more at job satisfaction now. For me, it even outweighs salary. What about you?
Yes, totally agree with you. With a good company culture and environment only we can work hardly for that company. What job you are working now? I heard that there will be a Mega Career Fair in Mid Valley on 21-23 August 2015, I think to try my luck there. See whether i can find a suitable job over there. How about you?
-xinyi-
post Jul 10 2015, 02:43 AM

46 posts

I studied diploma in accountancy because i get an A for accounts in SPM, and my tuition teacher inspired me alot, then i thought i will love accounts job at first.
First year in diploma i score well in english, but accounts and add maths only get average result, although i have put in much effort. FInal year failed a few subjects such as Finance Management, Taxation. (nearly get delay for my graduation).

At the same time, i got myself a part time job which related to the course that i m studying. I took 3 months off and work as part time before i start my degree course. My degree major is in accounting and finance, i took up degree because my parents claim that with diploma i cant earn much.

During degree, i failed every accounts subject exclude financial reporting, advance financial reporting, audit and taxation, and business subject, thesis (non exam based). Hence, my graduation date delayed to end of 2015.

On the other hand i start to dislike my part time job because what my lecturers told me in class were so different from what i have encountered in that company, i were taught how to change accounting data when the PIC for income tax come to "check" the company, my boss also asked me to move their excessive stock(old stock) to another place when the auditor come to do stock take, employees sell the cardboard( consider company asset), money from cardboard were used to buy food for everyone when the boss is not in, i found out that there is a office boy everyday come with one or two receipt to claim petrol(rm5-10) everyday,he did not deliver goods to far places,only to bank,local authorities,kopitiam to tapau, and post office. (i worked this job for 2 years)

Then i found another full time job, which is accounts clerk. My job scope is accounts + HR for foreign workers. ( the manager told me during interview). I love this job because i only handle HR,payrolls,permit,formema,targets for foreign workers,casual wages for subcontractor as for accounts side i only deal with purchases,petty cash(UBS),sales (key in into ERP). Paperwork for logistics too (need to submit before 28th of the month). sometime need to go to jabatan kastam for apply a form for import new raw material, or import spoiled goods for repair. Boss provide car and petrol for me to travel to customs. (happy with this job, because nice colleagues, we strive together because boss ask to help to do packaging for stocks when there is no logistic department and also packaging operator for nearly three weeks,we help each other, get things done faster.)

Things start to change when one of my colleague intend to leave this company because of stress from work sales and logistics stuff, and also boss personal stuff.
(eg,his personal sales ). after boss fail to keep my colleague, he then hire a sales executive (with experience) to be leader and control the sales team, another sales colleague feel demotivated because she was trained by boss from scratch, can handle sales and also logistics but did not get any increment nor promotion.

Things getting worst when my boss hired a new retail manager and a few sales person for his new retail shop. This manager create a lot of problem with me such as interfere the format of my offer letter,did not refer to me when there is any mistakes or problem,tell my boss and i got call into boss room get scolded very often because did not follow her way, refuse to give me a new set of photocopy IC for attachment employee files, very hard to get 1 piece of her photocopy IC, ask for weeks using phonecalls, this took alot of time, and boss questioning why things cannot be done in short time. because my boss thought it was a easy task. I work for this company 9 months (my boss want to keep me,but i did not accept the offer) the reason i resign is because of the problematic manager, broken team and also wide job scope.

At this moment, i got a job offer from audit firm RM300 higher from previous company (i do not know whether i still like accounting, then i would like to give myself another chance to find out). Then i worked there for few weeks, i feel very stress because of the workload,i handle 3 companies at first but my boss said that i m slow, then i try to key in faster and did not do checking, then i managed to key in 6 companies max in one day, but my boss still claim that i m slow and review me after three weeks for two hours (because he claim that i m still slow and did not meet his target,and he noticed me did some negative stuff such as put a deep breath loudly) i dont have any colleagues thats why he can hear the deep breath, i feel very tired everyday i got back home,often sleep before dinner until the next day,unwilling to wake up in the morning,skip breakfast sometimes, i need to go office early to do faster. I resigned after worked here for 1 months (i quit before get a secure job,i got some saving from previous employment enough for me to survive 3 months) (i still dont know whether i still love accounting at this stage)

After 1 week, i get a new job - HR and payroll assistant, less pay, zero stress compare to audit firm, still have counting part in payroll, and i am happy with my job now.

SUSSadSoul
post Oct 22 2015, 09:14 PM

Getting Started
273 posts

QUOTE(-xinyi- @ Jul 10 2015, 02:43 AM)
I studied diploma in accountancy because i get an A for accounts in SPM, and my tuition teacher inspired me alot, then i thought i will love accounts job at first.
First year in diploma i score well in english, but accounts and add maths only get average result, although i have put in much effort. FInal year failed a few subjects such as Finance Management, Taxation. (nearly get delay for my graduation).

At the same time, i got myself a part time job which related to the course that i m studying. I took 3 months off and work as part time before i start my degree course. My degree major is in accounting and finance, i took up degree because my parents claim that with diploma i cant earn much.

During degree, i failed every accounts subject exclude financial reporting, advance financial reporting, audit and taxation, and business subject, thesis (non exam based). Hence, my graduation date delayed to end of 2015.

On the other hand i start to dislike my part time job because what my lecturers told me in class were so different from what i have encountered in that company, i were taught how to change accounting data when the PIC for income tax come to "check" the company, my boss also asked me to move their excessive stock(old stock) to another place when the auditor come to do stock take, employees sell the cardboard( consider company asset), money from cardboard were used to buy food for everyone when the boss is not in, i found out that there is a office boy everyday come with one or two receipt to claim petrol(rm5-10) everyday,he did not deliver goods to far places,only to bank,local authorities,kopitiam to tapau, and post office. (i worked this job for 2 years)

Then i found another full time job, which is accounts clerk. My job scope is accounts + HR for foreign workers. ( the manager told me during interview). I love this job because i only handle HR,payrolls,permit,formema,targets for foreign workers,casual wages for subcontractor as for accounts side i only deal with purchases,petty cash(UBS),sales (key in into ERP). Paperwork for logistics too (need to submit before 28th of the month). sometime need to go to jabatan kastam for apply a form for import new raw material, or import spoiled goods for repair. Boss provide car and petrol for me to travel to customs. (happy with this job, because nice colleagues, we strive together because boss ask to help to do packaging for stocks when there is no logistic department and also packaging operator for nearly three weeks,we help each other, get things done faster.)

Things start to change when one of my colleague intend to leave this company because of stress from work sales and logistics stuff, and also boss personal stuff.
(eg,his personal sales ). after boss fail to keep my colleague, he then hire a sales executive (with experience) to be leader and control the sales team, another sales colleague feel demotivated because she was trained by boss from scratch, can handle sales and also logistics but did not get any increment nor promotion.

Things getting worst when my boss hired a new retail manager and a few sales person for his new retail shop. This manager create a lot of problem with me such as interfere the format of my offer letter,did not refer to me when there is any mistakes or problem,tell my boss and i got call into boss room get scolded very often because did not follow her way, refuse to give me a new set of photocopy IC for attachment employee files, very hard to get 1 piece of her photocopy IC, ask for weeks using phonecalls, this took alot of time, and boss questioning why things cannot be done in short time. because my boss thought it was a easy task. I work for this company 9 months (my boss want to keep me,but i did not accept the offer) the reason i resign is because of the problematic manager, broken team and also wide job scope.

At this moment, i got a job offer from audit firm RM300 higher from previous company (i do not know whether i still like accounting, then i would like to give myself another chance to find out). Then i worked there for few weeks, i feel very stress because of the workload,i handle 3 companies at first but my boss said that i m slow, then i try to key in faster and did not do checking, then i managed to key in 6 companies max in one day, but my boss still claim that i m slow and  review me after three weeks for two hours (because he claim that i m still slow and did not meet his target,and he noticed me did some negative stuff such as put a deep breath loudly) i dont have any colleagues thats why he can hear the deep breath, i feel very tired everyday i got back home,often sleep before dinner until the next day,unwilling to wake up in the morning,skip breakfast sometimes, i need to go office early to do faster. I resigned after worked here for 1 months (i quit before get a secure job,i got some saving from previous employment enough for me to survive 3 months) (i still dont know whether i still love accounting at this stage)

After 1 week, i get a new job - HR and payroll assistant, less pay, zero stress compare to audit firm, still have counting part in payroll, and i am happy with my job now.
Wow, what a journey.
Glad you have found a job that suits you!
gratz
-xinyi-
post Oct 22 2015, 09:21 PM

46 posts

QUOTE(SadSoul @ Oct 22 2015, 09:14 PM)
Wow, what a journey.
Glad you have found a job that suits you!
gratz

Thank you...still in a relax mode now...next week is time to battle...^^
SUSSadSoul
post Oct 22 2015, 09:23 PM

Getting Started
273 posts

QUOTE(-xinyi- @ Oct 22 2015, 09:21 PM)
Thank you...still in a relax mode now...next week is time to battle...^^
I'm quite similar to you.

I study science in SPM but switch to accounting

Got my degree in accounting but I dislike it

Now finding job in HR.
Urban92
post Oct 22 2015, 09:32 PM

20 posts

Nice topic!

Throughout my studies from Secondary up to Tertiary, I read engineering all the way. At first, I thought that, I am gonna settle down with this field, but deep inside my heart, I am not interested at all in Engineering. At first year in my university days, I was blank! Totally clueless, repeat 1 paper and the others just above the par. How bad it was.

Then, I was realized that my passion in something related to critical thinking, meeting, brainstorming etc. If I could reverse my time, for sure I am going to enroll myself into either Banking or Finance or Economics. This is what I am looking for. How I wish to take my masters related to this. Someday, hopefully.wink.gif
abdz
post Oct 23 2015, 12:05 PM

Getting Started
111 posts

if you want something that would be able to give you a job i suggest this:-

1) Accounting (every company needs someone who knows about account)
2) IT (every company misti ada IT)
3) Engineering (want to enter big company like petronas, maybe apply for chemical engineering, higher chances being call for interview, lol)

just a suggestion tongue.gif
maymay
post Oct 23 2015, 02:35 PM

Casual
310 posts

now i understand why ppl say study something that u really passionate about, because if u choose something sucks because it's easy to pass, easy to find job, easy to whatever..... but main point is u really hate it. then life gonna be sucks for next few decades.
TSPliZ.Proficient
post Oct 24 2015, 01:22 AM

44 posts

Thanks guys for all your comments smile.gif

Quick update : Currently wading through university admission tests and final application deadline is next month. I have decided to apply for actuarial science to both UK and US. Might probably go to the states in case I change my mind halfway cuz of its flexibility

I still think people should pursue their passion if they really feel strongly about it and if situation permits. I gave up on physics cuz I think I'll be satisfied with reading popular science books and/or YouTube vids.

For now that is. Unless I waver again.
Its cruel it ask teenagers my age to CHOOSE what they gonna do for the next 30 years IMO. Maybe not being able to choose is the best choice.

I hope 30 years later I will look back and think I've made the right decision smile.gif

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0149sec    0.78    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:07 PM