Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Mobile Number Portability (MNP), Switching mobile no. to other telco

views

SUSDavid83
post Nov 1 2006, 08:26 PM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
52,874 posts

Old news ... has been saying since last year.
SUSDavid83
post Nov 2 2006, 09:47 PM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
52,874 posts

The latest press release said that it'll be by December 2007.
SUSDavid83
post Nov 4 2006, 10:05 AM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
52,874 posts

I think the concept will preserve the 7-digit number and the prefix.
SUSDavid83
post Feb 2 2008, 10:13 PM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
52,874 posts

Must be Klang Valley first followed by other states. This kind of slow penetration technique is very common in Malaysia.
SUSDavid83
post Jul 5 2008, 04:53 PM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
52,874 posts

I hope they won't delay it further.
SUSDavid83
post Jul 11 2008, 10:11 PM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
52,874 posts

Any official news or at least sign that it'll be launched soon (not later than August)?

This post has been edited by David83: Jul 11 2008, 10:11 PM
SUSDavid83
post Jul 12 2008, 11:58 AM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
52,874 posts

Maybe this idea will soon die off since our beloved Tun Lim is no longer the minister incharged.
SUSDavid83
post Jul 14 2008, 02:55 PM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
52,874 posts

Maybe they have a migration promotional period. No fee will be incurred. biggrin.gif
SUSDavid83
post Jul 14 2008, 04:43 PM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
52,874 posts

QUOTE(unknowndevices @ Jul 14 2008, 03:30 PM)
if they want more users...give more benefits to the users...free of charge jumping to their Telco service... laugh.gif
sure,within that promotional period, many users jump from one to another... rolleyes.gif
I believe the competition will be more health. Whose package is more attractive will win! Consumers benefit the most of it.
SUSDavid83
post Jul 14 2008, 10:49 PM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
52,874 posts

QUOTE(unknowndevices @ Jul 14 2008, 10:48 PM)
yeah...hopefully before implementing MNP, more and more hot-package the telco will offer... thumbup.gif
I believe they may want to save the best part later on in order to gain market share. biggrin.gif
SUSDavid83
post Jul 15 2008, 10:19 PM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
52,874 posts

Thanks vin_ann for the update.

As I expected in Boleh-land. Not a surprise to me as I didn't put high hopes.
SUSDavid83
post Jul 29 2008, 08:21 AM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
52,874 posts

Who cares about MCMC ... whistling.gif

They're already MC^2
SUSDavid83
post Aug 2 2008, 10:04 AM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
52,874 posts

MNP may be launched nationwide in October

PETALING JAYA: Mobile phone users in the Klang Valley may be able to get a taste of mobile number portability (MNP) by September, but the rest of the country will have to wait till end-October.

The original deadline for the implementation of the MNP is mid-August but Malaysian Communications & Multimedia Commission (MCMC) wants to wait to make sure all systems are integrated to avoid any technical glitches when MNP is implemented.

“The MCMC wants to ensure that it can monitor and manage a small area before implementing MNP nationwide. It will be easier to manage a smaller area although the concentration of mobile users is the highest in the Klang Valley,” said an industry source.

MNP allows mobile users to switch networks while retaining their numbers. The Government first got public and industry feedback on the need to implement MNP in 2004. MNP was initially scheduled to be implemented in 2006.

There is no denying that certain players were not ready until recently for fear of losing subscribers in a MNP environment. They also took a while to cooperate because the implementation was complex, said the source.

Yet the issues, from porting charges (said to be between RM20 and RM25) to the validation time (anything from six hours to one week), need to be ironed out. In addition, the mobile user needs to be educated on the advantages of MNP so that MNP is a success in this country.

The greatest fear of operators is the loss of subscribers and analysts have repeatedly said DiGi.Com Bhd will be the sure winner in an MNP environment. Only time will determine that.

MNP may be good and it has been recognised by regulators as a key facilitator for competition. But the question is, with all the monies spent to implement MNP, who would get the lion’s share? Is it the consumer, the operators or the clearing house, Talian Gerak Alih Sdn Bhd, which is a third-party operator?

Singapore was the first country to implement number portability in 1997 but it was a huge failure as it adopted a two-number system. MNP was re-launched in Singapore recently. In comparison, it has been a huge success in Hong Kong in 1999 and Australia in 2001.

It was reported that in the US about 7.8 million mobile subscribers ported their numbers in the first 12 months of MNP’s introduction there. In Hong Kong 60% of subscribers changed operator and that led to an average price reduction of 60%. The reason for MNP’s success in Australia was because it is a “quick, seamless and low-cost experience.”

URL: http://biz.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?f...80&sec=business
SUSDavid83
post Aug 2 2008, 12:37 PM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
52,874 posts

Porting charges (said to be between RM20 and RM25) is reasonable I guess?
SUSDavid83
post Sep 11 2008, 07:30 PM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
52,874 posts

We can complain to MCMC right?
SUSDavid83
post Oct 14 2008, 11:00 PM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
52,874 posts

QUOTE(jasonlioh @ Oct 14 2008, 10:59 PM)
MNP is going nationwide tomorrow, October 15.

MCMC and all network operators sure are pretty quiet about this.
They may want to sweep this under the carpet. laugh.gif
SUSDavid83
post Nov 10 2008, 08:23 AM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
52,874 posts

Snag in number portability

KUALA LUMPUR: The much-awaited mobile number portability (MNP) service has finally been introduced, but not all cellphone users are jumping for joy.

There are other issues to grapple with now, involving call and SMS charges.

With MNP, users can switch from one service provider to another while retaining their phone numbers, prefix included.

But here is where it gets tricky – mobile phone users could end up paying higher bills as call charges to different network providers are usually higher.

With users retaining their prefix numbers but changing network providers, users calling out will not know if they are connecting to the same service provider or another as the prefix will not “show” anything.

Calls between subscribers of the same network provider are cheaper, compared to calls to other network providers.

For example, calls between Maxis subscribers are charged 12 sen a minute (postpaid, Value Plus 50 plan), as against 18 sen to other networks.

A Celcom subscriber (XPax prepaid plan) would incur a 35 sen charge a minute within the same zone, as opposed to 45sen a minute in calls to other networks.

Enquiries by The Star revealed that some network providers were offering certain solutions.

DiGi Telecommunications said its subscribers would be informed if those listed under their Friends & Family (FnF) package switched to other network providers.

“When a user calls someone who has ported out of DiGi for the first time, a pre-recorded voice message will be heard, saying that the contact is no longer a DiGi subscriber,” a spokesman said.

U Mobile Sdn Bhd said a pre-notification service would be introduced to its customers, informing them which network they were calling.

A Maxis Communications official advised subscribers to alert their contacts if they decided to change service providers to avoid confusion.

He said the subscribers’ decision to switch operators via MNP will not be automatically communicated to those who wished to contact the user.

This has made some users, like engineering student Siti Qistin Mohd Noor Azaman, 20, decide against switching networks.

“Don’t you think it would be rather awkward to ask someone that you just met about his or her mobile service provider?” she asked.

Copywriter Jason Sebastian, 26, felt that it was the network providers’ responsibility to inform their subscribers of their contacts’ service providers.

Tina Ong, 40, one of those who have opted to switch networks, said she was happy to have done so.

“I don’t have to worry about losing touch with my important contacts whom I have developed over eight years,” said Ong, who runs a café with her husband Dino Foon, 54.

According to estimates, there are 20.6 million prepaid and 4.6 million postpaid users in the country.

URL: http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=...7986&sec=nation

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0524sec    0.44    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:52 PM