Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

.NET Sell or Open Source code I made, Bad boss pay me less

views

TSAnime4000
post Jun 16 2015, 03:11 AM, updated 9y ago

Regular
1,917 posts

Previously I worked a company, and he asked me to develop a software that help converting a "string".

At that time, I only one who developing apps, linux server setup, e-learning setup, technical assistance if PC get error,
and I quit the job since all IT and Programming work handled by me alone with RM900 as salary (Give cheque RM1500 and give back RM500 to boss + Send fake employee salary statements just get the SKMM grant.).

During accepting me, so far none work agreement are signed, just sign for salary.

During development, I publish all code to GitHub, since easy to fall back and made backup.

So, all work and code I had done can I use for my own purpose like Open Source it or even Sell? Since all code is published on GitHub
TheSolver
post Jun 16 2015, 08:44 AM

Regular
1,108 posts

If it is truly your own you can do watever you want with it including selling it. It's best to seek legal help so that there's no trouble later.

My opinion is, because you use your company time the company can claim your work belong to it. Your depositing the code to github might amount to breach some terms or something you signed NDA or not.

You can get around this by rewriting it but satsfying different requirement but similar and say it that you wrote for a personal project during weekends on your own time.
alien3d
post Jun 16 2015, 09:39 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,740 posts

QUOTE(Anime4000 @ Jun 16 2015, 03:11 AM)
Previously I worked a company, and he asked me to develop a software that help converting a "string".

At that time, I only one who developing apps, linux server setup, e-learning setup, technical assistance if PC get error,
and I quit the job since all IT and Programming work handled by me alone with RM900 as salary (Give cheque RM1500 and give back RM500 to boss + Send fake employee salary statements just get the SKMM grant.).

During accepting me, so far none work agreement are signed, just sign for salary.

During development, I publish all code to GitHub, since easy to fall back and made backup.

So, all work and code I had done can I use for my own purpose like Open Source it or even Sell? Since all code is published on GitHub
kwik mandarin enhance it. notworthy.gif
what grant is it. skmm multimedia grant ? 150k ?

This post has been edited by alien3d: Jun 16 2015, 09:58 AM
angch
post Jun 16 2015, 12:09 PM

On my way
635 posts

Here we go again. IANAL (I Am Not A Lawyer), but: publishing on Github do not magically free the code up.

See: https://www.reddit.com/r/programming/commen...lation_issue_5/

Start clean room. Own time, own machine, new code. Ditch the gray area stuff. You can still end up with the same code, or based on the same design, but do NOT use any actual code you wrote under your previous employment.

(random aside for those who know what I'm talking about (Silicon Valley HBO season 2 spoiler): just because Richard got off scott free because of bad employee contract from using Hooli's computers tainting his IP, doesn't mean TS should and can do it here. It's fictional!)
TSAnime4000
post Jun 16 2015, 01:13 PM

Regular
1,917 posts

QUOTE(alien3d @ Jun 16 2015, 09:39 AM)
kwik mandarin enhance it.    notworthy.gif
what grant is it. skmm multimedia grant ? 150k ?
I believe it's 150K each phase.

QUOTE(angch @ Jun 16 2015, 12:09 PM)
Here we go again. IANAL (I Am Not A Lawyer), but: publishing on Github do not magically free the code up.

See: https://www.reddit.com/r/programming/commen...lation_issue_5/

Start clean room. Own time, own machine, new code. Ditch the gray area stuff. You can still end up with the same code, or based on the same design, but do NOT use any actual code you wrote under your previous employment.

(random aside for those who know what I'm talking about (Silicon Valley HBO season 2 spoiler): just because Richard got off scott free because of bad employee contract from using Hooli's computers tainting his IP, doesn't mean TS should and can do it here. It's fictional!)
Well... during development, I did separate GUI and API, maybe I need modify the API to better one, I hope this way avoid I.P.

This post has been edited by Anime4000: Jun 16 2015, 01:17 PM
angch
post Jun 16 2015, 01:51 PM

On my way
635 posts

QUOTE(Anime4000 @ Jun 16 2015, 01:13 PM)
Well... during development, I did separate GUI and API, maybe I need modify the API to better one, I hope this way avoid I.P.
No it doesn't. It is not *your* decision or right to sell or Open Source stuff you develop for other people. Stop it, people. Code it again, avoid headaches. Or get your employer's permission.

This post has been edited by angch: Jun 16 2015, 01:55 PM
askyou
post Jun 16 2015, 02:23 PM

32 posts

Anime4000 u just rewrite with different class name, function name, twist a bit algorithm, using the same logic and flow, should be fine, ignore what others people say , even get caught, you need to make sure you know how to do it,and code on the spot, that is,
because those features will have same logic and flow, after filter out the unnecessary code and duplicated stuffs, the logic will remain the same. you cant change much, changing the api/plugins will do avoid IP,
for eg, when u draw a circle, u have draw a circle for your company, then you can draw another one in your own paper, logic and flow is same, but it is written by you.
also make sure the code base and layout you sell is unable to detect by the previous company boss,
for example, HR system, there are so many HR system in the market, each system have their own unique features or unique interface , structure and etc which can make a difference. but the logic behind all common function are same. even a 50% difference should be enough, maybe you can add more cool stuffs in the software to avoid completely.
alien3d
post Jun 16 2015, 03:19 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,740 posts

QUOTE(Anime4000 @ Jun 16 2015, 01:13 PM)
if 150k suppose 4 phase.. or basically 1 year .and each must be spend on each quarter.

** Think back very odd accounting teach here.

Before i got friend in skmm something doing this.

huhu.. Very cheapskate your boss 900 salary ? vmad.gif vmad.gif vmad.gif

I think i remember your request something on uploading flash thing.. First i think you from rafcom but maybe not.

This post has been edited by alien3d: Jun 16 2015, 03:21 PM
alexa
post Jun 16 2015, 05:22 PM

Big Boss
1,456 posts

Open source!!!!
TSAnime4000
post Jun 16 2015, 05:23 PM

Regular
1,917 posts

QUOTE(askyou @ Jun 16 2015, 02:23 PM)
Anime4000 u just rewrite with different class name, function name, twist a bit algorithm,  using the same logic and flow, should be fine, ignore what others people say , even get caught, you need to make sure you know how to do it,and code on the spot, that is, 
because those features will have same logic and flow, after filter out the unnecessary code and duplicated stuffs, the logic will remain the same. you cant change much, changing the api/plugins will do avoid IP,
for eg, when u draw a circle, u have draw a circle for your company, then you can draw another one in your own paper, logic and flow is same, but it is written by you.
also make sure the code base and layout you sell is unable to detect by the previous company boss,
for example, HR system, there are so many HR system in the market, each system have their own unique features or unique interface , structure and etc which can make a difference. but the logic behind all common function are same. even a 50% difference should be enough, maybe you can add more cool stuffs in the software to avoid completely.
This way look good smile.gif

QUOTE(alien3d @ Jun 16 2015, 03:19 PM)
huhu.. Very cheapskate your boss  900 salary ? vmad.gif  vmad.gif  vmad.gif

I think i remember your request something on uploading flash thing.. First i think you from rafcom but maybe not.
I quit because every single thing handle by me alone, no other guy in same area, just call IT team, but one person.
Some people may know that I request a e-learning server, full of multimedia content FLASH + HTML5
alien3d
post Jun 16 2015, 06:00 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,740 posts

QUOTE(Anime4000 @ Jun 16 2015, 05:23 PM)
This way look good smile.gif
I quit because every single thing handle by me alone, no other guy in same area, just call IT team, but one person.
Some people may know that I request a e-learning server, full of multimedia content FLASH + HTML5
good luck. rebel is usual in business. important get the client and push.
alexa
post Jun 17 2015, 06:31 PM

Big Boss
1,456 posts

I'm really impress with your work.
malleus
post Jun 17 2015, 07:28 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,096 posts

In addition to what the rest have already said about making sure you don't get into trouble, I must admit that you've been damn lucky so far that your former boss has not come hunting after your head for using a public source repository to store the code in. Good thing too you don't have a contract in a way.
TSAnime4000
post Jun 17 2015, 10:55 PM

Regular
1,917 posts

I thinking make some improvement and publish at Steam (Software section), sell cheap price and porting API to Android via Xamarin Studio...

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0132sec    0.29    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:11 AM