Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

10 Pages « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

PC Audio Please Recommend... a 2.1 or 5.1 speaker set V6,, Comparison and Advice

views

power911
post Nov 19 2019, 11:04 PM

Misguided Angel of Death
6,510 posts

QUOTE(xxboxx @ Nov 19 2019, 10:53 PM)
Have you tested S880DB? I still wondering how much I'm missing because going for R1700BT instead.
I wouldn't call myself tested S880DB because I only briefly listened to it. I can't even remember where I listened to it.

Not too far off from Edifier S360DB with subwoofer off. But other than that I cannot remember. doh.gif

This post has been edited by power911: Nov 19 2019, 11:04 PM
power911
post Jan 19 2020, 02:36 PM

Misguided Angel of Death
6,510 posts

QUOTE(dexterkwok @ Jan 18 2020, 07:01 PM)
Hi, looking for a new speaker system for PC, mainly for music. I do mind using speakers more than Headphones as I prefer the freedom of not wearing one. Not a basshead but prefer clarity with enough bass.

Currently eyeing on the Audioengine A2+

Many reviews praised for its clarity but also lack on low end frequency. Planning to use an old Logitech speaker set subwoofer to help with low end.

My problem is that the Audioengine are expensive but its size plays a huge factor as I can pack it in my bag while im studying overseas. Im willing to pay the price unless there are similar and cheaper alternatives out there.

Should I get it or get other alternatives?

It so, where can I find a shop that sells
How about Presonus Eris E3.5? About Rm400+ and definitely cheaper than A2+ for studio mons. (music stores like musicbliss or something should supply them)
Alternatively there's also Edifier R1280DB which has more color to the sound. And more budget priced about RM380 iirc. (Anywhere from harvey norman to popular bookstores will supply em)
power911
post Jan 20 2020, 09:37 PM

Misguided Angel of Death
6,510 posts

QUOTE(zero5177 @ Jan 20 2020, 10:10 PM)
My 7 years old Edifier C3 can't turn on anymore after I smell some sort of board burning smell,
looking for possible fix or a decent replacement below RM400, if possible with more functions like BT..

I'm open for 2.0 bookshelf or 2.1

Edit* SQ is my priority, I do enjoy the harmony and clear sound from C3 very much, bass is just right, but could've been slightly better..
I also enjoy listening to mixed varieties of song like EDM, vocal, guitars, duet, acoustic and etc
Hook your existing speakers to this micro amp found in many online shopping platform for quick fix
power911
post Jan 21 2020, 12:01 AM

Misguided Angel of Death
6,510 posts

QUOTE(zero5177 @ Jan 20 2020, 10:54 PM)
Doesn't come cheap.. Do these sounds good as compared to Edifier original amplifier with EIDC?
I don't own the exact TPA3116 amp but the platform used with TPA3116 is very effecient and powerful for its size.
It can replace my NAD302 for driving a pair of my big Sony SS-D201 speakers while providing enough power to drive JVC CSGD-1210 300w subwoofer with a quarter of the power.
They do distort on the treble when I push it close to their promised 2x50W but since you are using small efficient speakers from C3 you'll probably have tons of headroom.

Edifier original amp may be tuned for the speakers but they are not efficient and with EIDC causing distortion, I think you'll be happy with the current chinese amp offerings.

And it's half your RM400 budget for replacements so I'd say its quite a good deal to try out. Nothing really can compare to your C3 with RM400 now other than downgrades nod.gif

As for if it sounds good or not? I'm not sure. My TPA3116 amp didn't sound good when I pair with my Edifier S530D with muddy mids coming out from the subwoofer. The amp I linked has a crossover point and it should solve my issue of vocals coming out of my subwoofer. With my car subwoofer I have a passive crossover so that isn't an issue

Overall the fullrange part is pretty okay

user posted image
user posted image

This post has been edited by power911: Jan 21 2020, 12:09 AM
power911
post Jan 21 2020, 03:52 PM

Misguided Angel of Death
6,510 posts

QUOTE(xxboxx @ Jan 21 2020, 11:35 AM)
Last time you say you miss the big speaker sound from R2800, so you get this Sony speaker? tongue.gif
Before this you using 2 ways speaker with 4 or 5 inch woofer? How much different compare to it?
I also were thinking to change my R1700BT to something bigger but not sure how much better will the sound be.
I have this 3 way Sony long before I knew Edifier. It was my dad's radio set. I even have em compared side by side with the R2800 haha. Link to expired review here
My Sony SS-D201 is a 6.5" woofer with 3" mids and a 1" piezo tweeter. Pretty bland speaker if your amp doesn't have bass adjustment. Push too much bass and it chuffs port noises instead of bass.

The difference I cannot remember anymore. I just love bookshelf feeling smooth without the weird bass gap to subwoofer in common pc 2.1 speakers.

As for R1700BT other than extended headroom for dynamic range, soundstage will be wider with bigger drivers acting as mids. But it really depends on how they design the speakers.
power911
post Jan 22 2020, 11:54 AM

Misguided Angel of Death
6,510 posts

QUOTE(zero5177 @ Jan 21 2020, 10:59 PM)
I see.. guess I'll have to have my option open for these amp ady... very valuable input indeed since you have tested something similar.
By the way how you think of C3x? Says to be an upgrade to C3... or any bookshelf u would recommend maybe if I raise my budget to around 500 range without downgrading from my c3
QUOTE(zero5177 @ Jan 21 2020, 11:03 PM)
Seems like I'm not the only one who appreciate C3... but my Altec Lansing ATP3 still working thou despite over 15 years...

and S350db is a huge leap from C3... in term of budget...
C3 was once a huge debate in pc speaker costing RM400 last time. People either get Altec Lansing VS4121 with massive bass but low quality parts or C3 with amazing clarity/value
C3X supposedly an improved version with better bass for general market but it kinda died down because everyone wants minimalist Ikea look.

QUOTE(kevinlim001 @ Jan 22 2020, 11:19 AM)
yea man.. c3 is a very balance unit from the design of it and tonal of the unit. i would say RM400-RM500 (retail price) is well spend for the quality like this. C3x looks ugly for me.
s350db give tighter bass more vocal clarity and better tweet but the setup is not as good as how i want it as i prefer all my speakers to be passive speaker and driven by a powered amp. maybe i cant have something that fits 100% to my need after the retirement of my c3.
Haha yes the modular setup of C3 was the selling point to me and I was a massive fanboy in the past. Totally agree C3X was a bit ugly compared to C3 looks. C3 looks more like "speakers" to me

QUOTE(MTH @ Jan 22 2020, 12:26 PM)
Search in carousell for another C3 or just the amp itself.

I saw a few on market previously. Price ranged from 200-300 roughly .

I'm a C3 user myself , still using it until today..just the on/off button was spoilt. Had to turn it on using the remote.
thumbup.gif thumbup.gif nice

power911
post Jan 22 2020, 08:43 PM

Misguided Angel of Death
6,510 posts

QUOTE(xxboxx @ Jan 22 2020, 09:33 PM)
Wow that long, I thought you got it after R2800  blush.gif

Ya, 2.1 not that suitable for music. Bigger speaker always better especially for something like orchestra, small speaker sound thin.
Music can go 2.1 no problem actually. Subwoofer is there to help the deep lows. Got DSP and the will to tune your setup can d. I mean most concerts are basically stereo with crazy number of fullrange and subs (imagine line array 140 fullrange and 40 18" subwoofers) more or less and it'll sound good as long as engineer power in his mixing skill.

It's either buy good speaker pre-tuned by manufacture or buy cheap n tune kawkaw. Car hifi oso got sub when they already got fullrange.
Never stop venturing into audio yo. mega_shok.gif
power911
post Jan 23 2020, 04:39 PM

Misguided Angel of Death
6,510 posts

QUOTE(xxboxx @ Jan 22 2020, 10:28 PM)
Most 2.1 have small speaker (not the subwoofer) so the sound not that impressive. The bass separation to subwoofer also some not done properly which can feel it come from different place.

Some not good speaker tune also won't get good sound since the speaker or enclosure itself is the problem.
I was thinking of finding 8" woofer bookshelf speaker but not much choice.
Can venture into passive bookshelf or go studio bookshelf flex.gif
Yamaha got good HS8 sets pretty good sounding imo. Better than my office using Roland RSM90. Very smooth sound with speaker stands. Don't need sub if placement is good. Very bassy but not in your face like consumer level.
And also quite forgiving in sound. Usually studio speakers can hear bad youtube sound but this is quite okay for daily use oso.
power911
post Mar 26 2020, 04:51 PM

Misguided Angel of Death
6,510 posts

QUOTE(illyaillya @ Mar 26 2020, 04:24 PM)
newb here. is s350db worth the jump over r1700bt for desktop computers? what else do i need to get them to work since they dont have 3.5mm?
Other than bass, maybe a small clarity jump.
They are both good stuff. And the S350DB will come with RCA to 3.5mm cable ready to go
power911
post Apr 1 2020, 05:20 PM

Misguided Angel of Death
6,510 posts

QUOTE(illyaillya @ Apr 1 2020, 04:28 PM)
thanks. i decided for presonus eris e5xt after watching digital stereophony

do you guys reckon isolation pads to be necessary? are the cheap ones comparable to the expensive ones? if so any decent and reasonably priced stand that can accomodate pads?
I only use it to point the tweeter to my ears. If the bass is shaking your table too much it would help reduce too.
It's a very cheap purchase imo. Buying it and not using it wouldn't harm. Just find a pair for less than RM30 and give it a try when your speakers arrive.
The expensive RM200 foam I use in office has zero difference with the cheap RM30 pair I bought for my home use.

Meanwhile do you have an external volume control for your new eris pair? Like a DAC or an audio interface with volume knob?
You'll definitely need something to handle the volume control for both speakers since both speaker has its own volume knob. Can't be fiddling both left and right volume everyday. flex.gif
power911
post Apr 2 2020, 12:14 AM

Misguided Angel of Death
6,510 posts

QUOTE(illyaillya @ Apr 2 2020, 12:10 AM)
thanks guys

i plan to buy the speakers with mx3 including stand and foam altogether on 4/4

any other alternatives to topping mx3 i should know of? i watched z review on youtube and the fact i can power both speakers and headphone won me over
Nice combo there.
Don't forget a pair of RCA cables for your monitors icon_idea.gif

You can also go all out studio setup with Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 with Balanced 6.35mm Stereo Jack to male XLR if you wish for a bigger knob
user posted image

power911
post Apr 2 2020, 09:38 AM

Misguided Angel of Death
6,510 posts

QUOTE(illyaillya @ Apr 2 2020, 02:23 AM)
starting to spill out of budget aha. started at rm400 for just thr r1700bt and now ive gone past 4x the initial budget
i can afford it but now the added cost is making me wonder if for 1.8k should i start looking at something else entirely

ive mainly just been using 3.5mm and all the technicalities are killing me, which is part why i decided on a pair of actives hoping to just learn along the way and sacrificing bluetooth which seems to be a part of most other non monitors.
Having a studio monitor setup gonna be way more complicated than r1700bt hahaha
but check this link out if you have issues connecting your e5xt to mx3
https://www.audiorecording.me/how-to-connec...-interface.html

QUOTE(Arvinaaaaa @ Apr 2 2020, 02:28 AM)
1.8k can go for jbl or harman kardon,

Ps: i got a jbl speaker to let go that punches way above a 1.8k speaker system would do in terms of sound quality. pm me if interested
Am curious what jbl you got there whistling.gif

This post has been edited by power911: Apr 2 2020, 09:40 AM
power911
post Apr 2 2020, 10:40 AM

Misguided Angel of Death
6,510 posts

QUOTE(xxboxx @ Apr 2 2020, 10:57 AM)
Isn't presonus eris e5xt is active speaker?
Topping mx3 is an amplifier with built-in DAC
It only have powered output, don't have RCA output.
oh shoot I didn't realize that too doh.gif
power911
post Apr 2 2020, 04:44 PM

Misguided Angel of Death
6,510 posts

QUOTE(illyaillya @ Apr 2 2020, 05:19 PM)
on that note, if i still go e5xt is there a cheap way to sync the volume of the pair? will the behringer um2 do the job?
Behringer UM2 is very similar to my Behringer UMC22
I have my issues with my UMC22 but that shouldn't be a bother for you since you're just using it as a volume control/DAC

One of my issue is that it creates popping sound during startups. It is not a ground loop or some electric spike. It just... makes popping sounds during startup. They're pretty loud to me since I keep my chinese amps on max volume all the time.
If you want to prolong your speaker life, just wait for your pc to fully on before turning on your speakers.
And turn off speakers before turning off pc.

Annoying trait to adapt to your life but that's a SOP in pro studios hahah. notworthy.gif
Highly recommended to buy UM2 if you remember to protect your speakers

Which is why I rather you get the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 in Post #1290 or the budget version Scarlett Solo because less obnoxious pops and also have a better sounding DAC for your amazing E5 speaker.
But nah... Go with UM2 and upgrade in the future when its time rclxm9.gif rclxm9.gif rclxm9.gif rclxm9.gif rclxm9.gif

Alternative budget method is to use car volume control like these for a direct 3.5mm cable haha
rca to rca volume control

Don't be afraid to try out advanced audio here. We may sound like crazy maniacs forcing you to learn many things but we truly want you to have amazing sound experience with your new toys laugh.gif

This post has been edited by power911: Apr 2 2020, 04:47 PM
power911
post Apr 3 2020, 12:01 AM

Misguided Angel of Death
6,510 posts

QUOTE(ktek @ Apr 3 2020, 12:13 AM)
beringher um2 & scarlett use what dac ic inside ah?

beside devices (can be so complex). pls dont skimp on media.
pls support artist buy original
I'm not sure what IC they use tho. Pretty old chip iirc.

Link to youtube teardown of 2i2 gen 2 showing cirrus logic cs4272-czz

This post has been edited by power911: Apr 3 2020, 12:08 AM
power911
post Apr 3 2020, 10:05 AM

Misguided Angel of Death
6,510 posts

QUOTE(4lt4ir @ Apr 3 2020, 03:20 AM)
May I know where you bought the RM30 isolation pads?
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

This post has been edited by power911: Apr 3 2020, 10:06 AM
power911
post Apr 3 2020, 02:07 PM

Misguided Angel of Death
6,510 posts

QUOTE(illyaillya @ Apr 3 2020, 11:56 AM)
shit guys im really overwhelmed. what started as wanting a speakers that compares to headphones is has me reading into music productions and things i cant begin to understand. when i asked one of the shop whether i need to buy additional cables to get e5xt & the cheap behringer to work the sales guy asks me are you sure which i feel like a trick question and makes think im a retard

do interfaces affect sound? i dont really believe in dac differences but some of them do have preamps. i really liked the mx3 feature that allows for both headphone and speaker to work without disconnecting one of them, any of the interfaces can do that? build quality and good knobs isnt enough for me to justify paying an extra rm400 but im pretty uneducated with regards to other features i may come to like later

there isnt much resource on the use of studio monitors for the average consumers. i think it all boils down on should i get the eris 4 + a good interface or an eris 5 with a cheap one.
1. everyone started their life as a lvl1 noob
Don't wanna brag but if I didn't start I wouldn't know all these weird stuff. But if you're getting UM2 and Eris E5XT, all you need is just a long pair of RCA to RCA cable that you can split into 2 speakers.

2. Different interface perform differently. But as for if we can hear it or not... I know I couldn't. Other people could.
And yes all interfaces (like ALL) will output both speaker and headphone out simultaneously. Interfaces are like studio use and we want both headphone and speaker to be able to run together. Which can be a nuisance because somehow interface always skip out the feature to mute outputs. (That's why I recommended the Scarlett 2i2. Flexibility in controlling both master and headphones independently)

As for what you should buy for a starter, invest more money on speakers as that makes a bigger difference. You can go with Behringer UM2 if you're okay with that top volume control and the weird popping sound during startup/shutdown

3. Honestly studio speakers are designed to sound flat. You can almost assume all studio monitors sounds the same. (It's a bold claim but of course different monitors sounds different when you get to compare side by side) (Except the Yamaha NS10. They're designed to sound like oldschool CRT tv speakers)
In fact most engineers I work with said all monitors are the same. It only sounds different if you try to push them to limits.

power911
post Apr 3 2020, 06:27 PM

Misguided Angel of Death
6,510 posts

QUOTE(4lt4ir @ Apr 3 2020, 06:48 PM)
if you're keen on the MX3, maybe find out if there's a way to bypass the inbuilt amp & just utilize its DAC?
one way is to use the headphone out as speaker out. But that kinda kills the aesthetics and functionality of the headphone jack haha
other way is to change to a passive speaker like maybe Sony SS-CS5 or something better and use the MX3 as main amp drool.gif

QUOTE(illyaillya @ Apr 3 2020, 07:26 PM)
nah i dont have the know hows

user posted image
according to LBS on shopee i dont need an interface to sync the presonus
Yes you don't need if you can use the windows in built volume to control. Or you do double work by turning both left and right volume.

My experience is that is a big hassle to change volume without a main control like interface. If you rely on pc volume, touch wood pc hang while playing sound then it just blast distorted volume with no form of volume change.
Second point with the bigger E5XT is both volume at the back and you will need to stretch back to fiddle twice.
Great sounding speaker will be bad without proper user interface as these speakers are expected to pair with a master volume control (or an audio mixer as its main intentions)

I only recommend interface just for the ease of volume control + headphone out without muting.
If a cheaper DAC can do volume control then that will be a better option. One cheap way is to use the headphone out from the monitor via HDMI audio. notworthy.gif

This post has been edited by power911: Apr 3 2020, 06:34 PM
power911
post Apr 3 2020, 06:36 PM

Misguided Angel of Death
6,510 posts

QUOTE(4lt4ir @ Apr 3 2020, 07:29 PM)
If the MX3 has a line out, then that will bypass the MX3 inbuilt amp. That way, you can connect the MX3's line out to the Eris via aux cable. It will then function as a DAC only.
Sadly the only line out is the headphone out in front sweat.gif

alternatively illyaillya can buy a separate volume control like this bulky box
https://shopee.com.my/Stereo-Amplifier-Pass...7858.6405445374

This post has been edited by power911: Apr 3 2020, 06:37 PM
power911
post Apr 4 2020, 11:03 AM

Misguided Angel of Death
6,510 posts

QUOTE(illyaillya @ Apr 4 2020, 11:48 AM)
i think ill buy the speakers first and see from there what else i can get to improve my experience. the seller said i dont need anything to sync the volumes so ill take his word for it at the moment

this is my first foray into expensive speakers and i dont want to make the same mistake as i did for my other hobbies haha

im pretty much set for e5xt now. do you guys think there are other things i should consider before pulling the trigger? a lot of the debates surrounding the whole studio monitors for casual use seems to be centered on convenience (bt, remote etc). not having the luxury to experience this in person is kinda sucky

whatever the case ill pull the trigger at 10
There are many but if you're set to it, it's definitely yours. Don't forget to come back to us when you have them done.
Gotta hear your experience too notworthy.gif
Go with how xxboxx say, Get a 3.5mm to RCA and split the cable to use. Don't forget to make space for your power strip too. You'll need 2 socket thumbsup.gif

10 Pages « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0186sec    0.64    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:48 PM