Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Aircon Discussion V3, Home Appliance

views

davidlow7
post Jun 15 2022, 05:58 PM

StageMaster
8,303 posts

QUOTE(Created On 21/1/2021 @ Jun 15 2022, 12:43 PM)
Just called them and they only do KL area and farthest to Shah Alam only.

davidlow7
post Aug 7 2022, 01:08 PM

StageMaster
8,303 posts

QUOTE(Jason @ Aug 4 2022, 10:29 PM)
I hate to admit this, but from experience it is true. Panasonic skew towards power savings so it is never as cold as Daikin, even when I set the setting to max on remote..its still hesitant to cool. Like, I set max fan, 17C the air con is like "you sure you want so cold meh? eh it use a lot electricity, come I slow down a bit save some energy". I am like.. eh hello, I want max cooling you give me max cooling la.

Limpeh using 2HP inverter Pana in bedroom. Based on measurement of room size & height actually 1.5HP enough. Now 2HP inverter Pana, just ngam ngam only.

Midea cheap and easy to spoil and parts? In 2015 I got MSN-09CRDN1 inverter models, 3 units used heavily because all in bedroom, until today no issues.. except workmanship not good the thing leak gas for 1 unit. Not the a/c's fault.

But best bang for the buck, HISENSE. If you want the most basic non-inverter aircon, limpeh will recommend Hisense over any Pana and any Daikin. The Japanese very expensive.

EDIT: Limpeh got Daikin, York (old cooling king good, current China mari Johnson control is rubbish), Hisense, Midea, Mitsu Electric, Pana -- love hate relationship with Pana.
Quite agree with you
For personal choice, I like it for room since I'm a natural air person (if weather is kind) and Pana provides a breezing feel rather than freezing feel.

For living hall, I would probably go for Daikin.
So far I had used Mitsu Electric and would say they are my number1 in term of best of both world (cooling + breezing) but obviously has a more complex setup (many sensors) vs the rest, and spare parts on the high side.
davidlow7
post Aug 12 2022, 07:57 PM

StageMaster
8,303 posts

QUOTE(firewir3 @ Aug 12 2022, 10:17 AM)
Wanna ask is it ok to install inverter type air cond in living room where it is open space ?
I would use inverter for all my aircon especially for the open space and high horsepower aircon - going against the narrative of so-called 6hours only start cooling bullshit. IF you know how the electric consumption works and setting the aircon temperature correctly (25c to 27c) would actually help you to avoid high bills. The reason is living room aircon has high horsepower which consumes around 8A so I find using it correctly, you will see inverter being more beneficial.

Inverter aircon 2.5hp if you spec the horsepower correctly it would maintain as low as around 1A power consumption in cooling the space where as a non-inverter would run at around 8A-0A-8A-0A-8A for few minutes each - if you are setting the temperature unrealistically (usually below 20c) then chances is your aircon will be consuming 2.5hp at 8A all the way until you off because it is almost non-impossible to achieve in our M'sia climate unless you are in Cameron Highland or Genting Highland.

Likewise if your aircon is not in good condition you tend to set 20c just to achieve just 25c then you are likely to suffer a high bill because your compressor would also run 9A all the way,, regardless it is inverter or not inverter.

Once it is closed to the set temperature/or already reached the consumption will drop in stages. So if your room temperature is 29c and you set 25c... by less than 1hour if it reaches around 27c the consumption would reduce by probably 40% and then once it reaches the set temperature (at per your remote setting) then it would start reduce to very low just to maintain the cooling. Setting a lower temperature means it takes longer time to achieve, but setting to an unrealistic temperature it means you are rather off using a non-inverter.

Inverter is like you are getting a strong muscular man who can adjust his strength to pick up item that weights 0.1kg to 100kg item, so he has more juice to do more.
Non-inverter is like a robot who are set to pick up an item up to 100kg at a fixed strength 10 times - regardless of how heavy the items it can only do just 10 times and no more.

Though trust me - if you ask most aircon guys nowadays they will all ask you to take non-inverter cause it is easier at their end to sell, but when you ask further they will just tell you the narrative bullshits. End of the day it is always up to you as a buyer to decide.

But most importantly, SPEC your horsepower correctly - use calculation, not use feel. Btu going extra even to 30% or more is okay because it would allow your compressor to cut off longer to save electricity... an inverter would benefit from this. Don't spec ngam ngam - your running cost can easily outspend your savings for a lower hp aircon.

It is actually too complicated to explain all here but I do find that this Video is beneficial - and you can see how inverter aircon works. (Many may find him cocky but what he does is practical, and based on real-life consumption).
What I want to highlight is that his reference of 10,000btu to 1hp is not really accurate - once you done the calculation to get the BTU, then you just need to look at the manufacture spec based on the horsepower&btu - remember do not spec less, or even ngam ngam.. it is good to go extra even if the aircon is abit more costly.

Happy spending.

Cheers

user posted image

This post has been edited by davidlow7: Aug 12 2022, 08:19 PM
davidlow7
post Aug 18 2022, 12:05 PM

StageMaster
8,303 posts

QUOTE(Created On 21/1/2021 @ Aug 17 2022, 03:28 PM)
My living + dining is around 400sqft, is 1.5HP sufficient?
You will need at least 28,000btu which will roughly be about a
1. 2.5hp + 1hp (approx. 31,000btu)
2. 2hp + 2hp ( 35,000btu)

It is okay to spec higher Btu but not lower or ngam ngam - because your compressor would have no chance to cut off. If you are frequently setting 22c or lower then higher btu would be beneficial.

Considering taking an inverter unit because upon reaches the set temperature it would be take minimal power to maintain your room temperature - although you are likely to hear the aircon sales/technician advise against it so this is totally up to you. smile.gif

davidlow7
post Aug 18 2022, 12:53 PM

StageMaster
8,303 posts

QUOTE(Created On 21/1/2021 @ Aug 18 2022, 12:27 PM)
Holycow. I need to readjust my budget again.
Regardless if you go with inverter or not inverter - the big rule of thumb is never undersize your aircon horsepower/btu because the running cost can easily cost more than what you saved with the units.

davidlow7
post Aug 18 2022, 08:16 PM

StageMaster
8,303 posts

QUOTE(JapBoyRockS @ Aug 18 2022, 05:55 PM)
I took 2HP + 2HP for my 500sf. Daikin FTKU for RM2850 each. No installation
FTKU is a good choice to go with.

You will have enough power for a 500sqf - just to make sure your ceiling height is 10ft+-?
For 12ft and above then you need to get the 2.5hp x2
davidlow7
post Aug 18 2022, 09:04 PM

StageMaster
8,303 posts

QUOTE(JapBoyRockS @ Aug 18 2022, 08:23 PM)
nopes. 9ft only. hopefully its enough, as the space is quite open, just don't know how long will it take to cool the entire place down
If you can practise opening up the windows,to release the hot air before opening your aircon will help so your compressor will not need to work too hard to cool the space down.

For the sake of electric bill consumption - there is an expert advised against open both units at one go and he advised to go in stages like 1hour+ in between each as both when on together will run at maximum power (eg. 8A + 8A = 16A), although the consumption may come down faster but the calculation based on the practical tests he did was better to do in stages.

Any enthusiast may want to do their own practical tests to confirm but personally I do think it make sense, especially if you have 2 to 3 high horsepower ac running together in cooling one huge living hall. Also setting between 25c to 27c would be the best balance to manage your TNB bill + comfort.

This post has been edited by davidlow7: Aug 18 2022, 09:04 PM
davidlow7
post Aug 28 2022, 08:07 PM

StageMaster
8,303 posts

Anyone can advise what's the best aircon copper pipe brand?
davidlow7
post Sep 6 2022, 12:09 PM

StageMaster
8,303 posts

QUOTE(firewir3 @ Sep 6 2022, 11:50 AM)
Thank you so much for your details reply but how about I saw those inverter model come with 4 star and 5 star energy rating will it be alot of saving with the difference of 1 star? because Im seeing Daikin and Panasoni model where 4star will be cheaper around RM250 compare with 5 star energy rating will it worth it?

Thank you in advance
It is hard to comment on price as there are other factors influencing it - brand, materials, supply chain factors etc. I would suggest to be more specific on the models you are looking so you can better compare them based on the papers, and other users' experience.

Also it is worth to note that the "5 Star" of yester-year(s)' models may be "4-star" rated today - and it is just an indicator in term of energy efficiency, and cannot define if the AC is good or not overall, although it is definitely one of the factors.
davidlow7
post Sep 21 2022, 05:37 PM

StageMaster
8,303 posts

QUOTE(firewir3 @ Sep 19 2022, 08:31 PM)
Yes , after reading recent reply mostly recommended Daikin for fast cooling compare to panasonic but I was comparing model for

1.0HP
1. Daikin FTKF(wifi) - rm1499 - 4 star energy saving
2. Panasonic Standard Inverter(PU series no wifi)- rm1499 - 4star energy saving
3. Panasonic X-Deluxe(wifi) - rm1699  - 5 star energy saving

Im in dilemma now on which to choose as I need 2unit of 1.0hp , 2 unit of 1.5hp and 2 unit of 2.0hp initially i wanted to go for Daikin FTKF model as my budget was between that range but it only have 4 star energy savings as most recommended 5 star energy saving.
I would avoid the FTKF 1.0hp model and go for FTKU model at least. The BtU is way different and that means a more effective cooling + better energy consumption.

If I have to choose between these then I would rather go for the Panasonic that have higher bTU.. btu is important.

This post has been edited by davidlow7: Sep 21 2022, 05:37 PM
davidlow7
post Nov 1 2022, 09:08 AM

StageMaster
8,303 posts

QUOTE(-kytz- @ Oct 31 2022, 10:13 AM)
1. Correct hp to space ratio
From Daikin's calculator, I need is around 18,000BTU

2. Duration of usage
On average, 7 hours a day

3. Location of ac ..... room or open space like living hall
Small room, around 200 sq feet with height of 10 feet

4. Maintenance

5. Unit direction facing
Condo facing west with full exposure of the sun lol

6. Number of occupants
2 people

7. Window size
Big window 5 feet x 7 feet

I'm looking at this 2.0 hp unit and is 1,300W considered high power consumption?
https://www.midea.com/my/air-conditioners/r...es-msep-19crfn8

My current aircon is this:
https://www.panasonic.com/my/support/produc...cs-pc12qkh.html
1. 200sqf you will need at least 14,000btu/hr aircon to be able to give you the optimum comfort plus saving. Anything lower than that is not going to save you the bill.

2. Look at the spec for btu/h, and not just looking at horsepower Most 1hp aircon comes from 8500 to 9800 btu/hr depending on brand and model. e.g. Daikin Inverter FTKF 1.0hp @ 9000btu/h vs same brand different model FTKU @ 9700btu/hr -- so you need to look at the specs.

3. 1.5hp generally are 1.2 or 1.3hp equivalent and they cover less than 13000btu/hr in most cases so 2.0hp (16500btu/h to 19000btu/h) is the model you should go for. Nevermind the btu/h is higher as the compressor would be able to stop running for longer period which results in lower energy consumption.

4. Suggest to go for inverter so even if you go with much higher HP it does not affect so much as the power is variable from around the range (for example1A to 4A and not just 4A when compressor kicks in).

5. Rule of thumb
a) never undersize your aircon btu/hr otherwise running 7hrs a day for 3-4 months would be ROI for another unit of aircon. Secondly your wire would always be running hot because your compressor hardly or never stops (which aircon is designed to do).

b) Always insist 4mm wire size for your aircon and not the 2.5mm wire which most wireman or aircon-man would always give (from the DB to IDU .. and IDU to ODU), as it is something for long hour usage. You will get less headache in the long term. (Suruhanjaya Tenaga rule insist that developer must give 4mm wire at least for all aircon points regardles even if it is just for 1hp or aircon).

c) temperature best set at 25c to 27c - a good AC unit that are rightly sized can give you optimum comfort while maximising energy savings. If you need to set 20c to achieve 25c of temperature it means your AC unit are not rightly sized/not in good condition - generally this means your compressor will keep running non-stop = high electricity bill.

Hope this helps.

This post has been edited by davidlow7: Nov 1 2022, 09:10 AM

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.1910sec    0.64    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 1st December 2022 - 12:17 PM