Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Any recommendation of Art classes for kids?, Mainly needed to learn drawing

views

TScc980024
post May 27 2015, 05:06 PM, updated 9y ago

Casual
492 posts

Hi,

My son (8yrs old) drawing is "ugly", due to he always simply draw. Drawing is not his interest but somehow they have this subject in school. I am not seeking him to draw beautiful pictures. But at least he can draw pictures that make sense. Example of his drawing - a human with the head smaller than the hand (palm), arm bigger than the thigh or 1 side big, 1 side small. tongue.gif

Due to that, we need to find him some drawing lesson to get him into the basic. But in KL/Selangor, mostly are those classy art studio and cost a lot. Please share if you know of any drawing classes (similar to normal tuition). Thanks.
carmenyta
post May 27 2015, 08:40 PM

Getting Started
266 posts

QUOTE(cc980024 @ May 27 2015, 05:06 PM)
Hi,

My son (8yrs old) drawing is "ugly", due to he always simply draw. Drawing is not his interest but somehow they have this subject in school. I am not seeking him to draw beautiful pictures. But at least he can draw pictures that make sense. Example of his drawing - a human with the head smaller than the hand (palm), arm bigger than the thigh or 1 side big, 1 side small. tongue.gif

Due to that, we need to find him some drawing lesson to get him into the basic. But in KL/Selangor, mostly are those classy art studio and cost a lot. Please share if you know of any drawing classes (similar to normal tuition). Thanks.
hahahahah my son also draws like that! no choice, drawing is not his thing as well - he didn't get my drawing skills. sweat.gif
meanwhile, you can try encourage him and ask why he draw like he that and then make a suggestion like "wouldn't it be better if ...."
if not, you can go online and print out for him to draw a 'copy'. i used to do that when i was young.

hope you can find what you're looking for. opt for 1-on-1 if u really want him to improve because drawing takes time to practice and a lot of encouragement if u want him to draw things with proportion.
SUSsupersound
post May 28 2015, 08:41 AM

10k Club
11,554 posts

Are you expecting an 8 year old children to behave like adults? You must be joking.
Knowing their interest are more important.
TScc980024
post May 28 2015, 02:40 PM

Casual
492 posts

QUOTE(supersound @ May 28 2015, 08:41 AM)
Are you expecting an 8 year old children to behave like adults? You must be joking.
Knowing their interest are more important.
Not expecting him to behave like an adult, but at least dun draw like a 4 yrs old. That's why looking for some classes.

Is not that I force him to do stuff he is not interested in. But let say your kid fail his BM, and he got no interest in BM. Don't we need to find some way to help him at least get a pass. Similar goes to drawing. Is 1 of the subject registered under the ministry and they have ujian for this similar to all other subjects. Not expecting an 'A' but we should not let him fail forever. As his age growing but drawing skills never improve.. the marks will only be going down further and further.

Do you have any better suggestion?
TScc980024
post May 28 2015, 02:49 PM

Casual
492 posts

QUOTE(carmenyta @ May 27 2015, 08:40 PM)
hahahahah my son also draws like that! no choice, drawing is not his thing as well - he didn't get my drawing skills.  sweat.gif
meanwhile, you can try encourage him and ask why he draw like he that and then make a suggestion like "wouldn't it be better if ...."
if not, you can go online and print out for him to draw a 'copy'. i used to do that when i was young.

hope you can find what you're looking for. opt for 1-on-1 if u really want him to improve because drawing takes time to practice and a lot of encouragement if u want him to draw things with proportion.
It's pretty hard to get him sit down and draw. The recent exam, school given out a list of title to choose. At first allow him to draw robot as robot is his favourite. Every nite he practices looking at the same robot toy, but somehow every time the robot looks different.. inconsistent and he can't draw it at the right ratio and color all mess. He even claim that he can't do if exam without looking at the model.

So end up change title to do animal mask (tiger). I teach him all the lazy tips to draw circle head and simple nose, strips, etc. As the eyes will be cut, so no worry bout the size of both eyes whether 1 big 1 small.. he will cut until it looks similar both side. And coz is a mask and to be cut.. so no problem with color out of the line.. phew. And I even put a tiger head sticker on to his pencil box incase he forget its a tiger.. and the mask goes without strips.. then wil look like a dog?? or bear??? tongue.gif But cannot forever be doing "lazy" art like tat.

This post has been edited by cc980024: May 28 2015, 02:50 PM
SUSsupersound
post May 28 2015, 02:56 PM

10k Club
11,554 posts

QUOTE(cc980024 @ May 28 2015, 02:40 PM)
Not expecting him to behave like an adult, but at least dun draw like a 4 yrs old. That's why looking for some classes.

Is not that I force him to do stuff he is not interested in. But let say your kid fail his BM, and he got no interest in BM. Don't we need to find some way to help him at least get a pass. Similar goes to drawing. Is 1 of the subject registered under the ministry and they have ujian for this similar to all other subjects. Not expecting an 'A' but we should not let him fail forever. As his age growing but drawing skills never improve.. the marks will only be going down further and further.

Do you have any better suggestion?
My drawing got 10% during exams(teacher gave me 10% is because I still draw something) and when comparing it to 4 year old kid, mine are even worst than that.
Drawing are not important for a person, unless if he wants to use that to earn a living.
While BM are required to get certification(SPM), so it is 2 different matter.
For his age, concentrate him on other subjects would be better for him.
For 4 years old children, it is quite hard to know their talent especially you feed him too much artificial DHA and junk foods.
TScc980024
post May 28 2015, 03:12 PM

Casual
492 posts

QUOTE(supersound @ May 28 2015, 02:56 PM)
My drawing got 10% during exams(teacher gave me 10% is because I still draw something) and when comparing it to 4 year old kid, mine are even worst than that.
Drawing are not important for a person, unless if he wants to use that to earn a living.
While BM are required to get certification(SPM), so it is 2 different matter.
For his age, concentrate him on other subjects would be better for him.
For 4 years old children, it is quite hard to know their talent especially you feed him too much artificial DHA and junk foods.
Ok, if this is the way you want it be for your child.
But "unimportant" subject is not an excuse for a school-going kid to fail it. As this mindset will somehow encourage the young generation to take P.Moral, P.Kesihatan, Muzik, etc.. as all "unimportant" and no need to seek a "passing" grade. Agree with you that there are priority to those core subjects, but there still a need to have a baseline for non-core subject.

Anyway, am not seeking the opinion of whether is necessary to get him into drawing. Would appreciate if someone can provide recommendation on how to help him improve his drawing. He certainly not interested in drawing, but he was sad when he fail during the last test. Recent test unsure of the result.

This post has been edited by cc980024: May 28 2015, 03:13 PM
carmenyta
post May 28 2015, 03:14 PM

Getting Started
266 posts

QUOTE(cc980024 @ May 28 2015, 02:49 PM)
It's pretty hard to get him sit down and draw. The recent exam, school given out a list of title to choose. At first allow him to draw robot as robot is his favourite. Every nite he practices looking at the same robot toy, but somehow every time the robot looks different.. inconsistent and he can't draw it at the right ratio and color all mess. He even claim that he can't do if exam without looking at the model.

So end up change title to do animal mask (tiger). I teach him all the lazy tips to draw circle head and simple nose, strips, etc. As the eyes will be cut, so no worry bout the size of both eyes whether 1 big 1 small.. he will cut until it looks similar both side. And coz is a mask and to be cut.. so no problem with color out of the line.. phew. And I even put a tiger head sticker on to his pencil box incase he forget its a tiger.. and the mask goes without strips.. then wil look like a dog?? or bear??? tongue.gif But cannot forever be doing "lazy" art like tat.
HAHAHAHAHA you so smart! rclxms.gif rclxms.gif rclxms.gif

anyway, i understand your predicament. kids are just like that. my son also the same. ask him to draw and color (for fun some more) and he just choose one color and paint the whole paper with that same color. i ask him 'u are painting a wall is it?' sigh, everyday can read dinosaur books but in the end still cant draw out.

good thing for art, they will give you the questions beforehand first then at least you can still guide him. that's the key to art anyways - patience. kudos. keep it up!

SUSsupersound
post May 28 2015, 03:33 PM

10k Club
11,554 posts

QUOTE(cc980024 @ May 28 2015, 03:12 PM)
Ok, if this is the way you want it be for your child.
But "unimportant" subject is not an excuse for a school-going kid to fail it. As this mindset will somehow encourage the young generation to take P.Moral, P.Kesihatan, Muzik, etc.. as all "unimportant" and no need to seek a "passing" grade. Agree with you that there are priority to those core subjects, but there still a need to have a baseline for non-core subject.

Anyway, am not seeking the opinion of whether is necessary to get him into drawing. Would appreciate if someone can provide recommendation on how to help him improve his drawing. He certainly not interested in drawing, but he was sad when he fail during the last test. Recent test unsure of the result.
You shall start from his day to day activities, knowing the root cause will be much more important.
Concentration is what you need to tackle now. If your children can't concentrate properly, sending him to any class won't do any good.
TScc980024
post May 28 2015, 08:59 PM

Casual
492 posts

QUOTE(carmenyta @ May 28 2015, 03:14 PM)
HAHAHAHAHA you so smart!  rclxms.gif  rclxms.gif  rclxms.gif

anyway, i understand your predicament. kids are just like that. my son also the same. ask him to draw and color (for fun some more) and he just choose one color and paint the whole paper with that same color. i ask him 'u are painting a wall is it?' sigh, everyday can read dinosaur books but in the end still cant draw out.

good thing for art, they will give you the questions beforehand first then at least you can still guide him. that's the key to art anyways - patience. kudos. keep it up!
Haha, did u c carefully wat is underneath the wall tat ur son painted? Perhap there are lots of hidden art can't b seen by bare eyes..gifted artist.

Mine dun really listen my advise on drawing. Dunno y he draw human head so small with all eyes, nose, mouth cramp together but come to feet, he draw all toes clearly 1 by 1 never miss. So end up a feet bigger than the face. The human arm forever at 90degree like scarecrow. He say he can't draw it to point down. Tats y i think those fundamental he needed...coz seen his struggle face like his hand cannot ctrl gotta draw it tat way. tongue.gif
carmenyta
post May 28 2015, 11:28 PM

Getting Started
266 posts

QUOTE(cc980024 @ May 28 2015, 08:59 PM)
Haha, did u c carefully wat is underneath the wall tat ur son painted? Perhap there are lots of hidden art can't b seen by bare eyes..gifted artist.

Mine dun really listen my advise on drawing. Dunno y he draw human head so small with all eyes, nose, mouth cramp together but come to feet, he draw all toes clearly 1 by 1 never miss. So end up a feet bigger than the face. The human arm forever at 90degree like scarecrow. He say he can't draw it to point down. Tats y i think those fundamental he needed...coz seen his struggle face like his hand cannot ctrl gotta draw it tat way. tongue.gif
gifted artist? hah! barely! no choice. he's not into it.

he's so interested in toes? that's fascinating. normally i would just draw feet in the shape of squares (when i was young). sweat.gif

just let him keep on practicing. you're doing a great job guiding him. thumbup.gif
KiddyPass
post Jun 23 2016, 05:16 PM

7 posts

QUOTE(cc980024 @ May 27 2015, 05:06 PM)
Hi,

For those parents in Kuala Lumpur & Petaling Jaya looking for fresh updated arts / drawing classes for your kids such as Visual Art, Craft, Clay, Cartoon, Glass Painting, Arcylic Painting & etc. You may now find them in one place at KiddyPass.com

Hundreds of Art Classes

Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image

Follow Us On Facebook

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0159sec    0.10    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:14 PM