Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Q&A [WTA] High quality streaming audio

views

TScalvintiffy
post May 24 2015, 01:12 PM, updated 9y ago

Getting Started
148 posts

I noticed that Spotify Premium users have an option to stream at High quality audio. Generally, what makes an audio high quality? Is it because of a larger Hz? If so, what ranger is usually considered HQ? Thanks guys laugh.gif
mirage10
post May 24 2015, 01:16 PM

Getting Started
230 posts

try TIDAL HIFI
TScalvintiffy
post May 24 2015, 01:23 PM

Getting Started
148 posts

QUOTE(mirage10 @ May 24 2015, 01:16 PM)
try TIDAL  HIFI
Is it higher than spotify? Thanks for the suggestion mate notworthy.gif
mirage10
post May 24 2015, 01:55 PM

Getting Started
230 posts

yeap... better..
+3kk!
post May 25 2015, 11:08 AM

Look at all my stars!!
8,275 posts

QUOTE(calvintiffy @ May 24 2015, 01:12 PM)
I noticed that Spotify Premium users have an option to stream at High quality audio. Generally, what makes an audio high quality? Is it because of a larger Hz? If so, what ranger is usually considered HQ? Thanks guys  laugh.gif
i would ask you back, do you have the equipment or the ears to recognise high quality?

most people dont, surprisingly the folks who argue the most about high quality music tend to have the worst hearing due to constant loud music.

for the most count, the music you listen to unless its from an fm radio, is of high quality, so you dont have to worry too much about it.
Everdying
post May 25 2015, 11:27 AM

Two is One and One is None.
Group Icon
Staff
30,688 posts

QUOTE(+3kk! @ May 25 2015, 11:08 AM)
i would ask you back, do you have the equipment or the ears to recognise high quality?

most people dont, surprisingly the folks who argue the most about high quality music tend to have the worst hearing due to constant loud music.

for the most count, the music you listen to unless its from an fm radio, is of high quality, so you dont have to worry too much about it.
welcum bak!
thought u wanted to be perma? tongue.gif
+3kk!
post May 25 2015, 11:30 AM

Look at all my stars!!
8,275 posts

QUOTE(Everdying @ May 25 2015, 11:27 AM)
welcum bak!
thought u wanted to be perma? tongue.gif
you refuse to perma

then my withdrawal symptoms are too strong sad.gif

sigh

ciwi1166
post May 25 2015, 06:44 PM

~~~Prestissimo~~~
2,254 posts

QUOTE(calvintiffy @ May 24 2015, 01:12 PM)
I noticed that Spotify Premium users have an option to stream at High quality audio. Generally, what makes an audio high quality? Is it because of a larger Hz? If so, what ranger is usually considered HQ? Thanks guys  laugh.gif
dun know a lot. but when u turn an analog into digital, must be the compression ratio.

echobrainproject
post May 28 2015, 01:19 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
4,765 posts

The main challenge for audio streaming is to have the data sent without any interruption. Having a song buffer half way playing would be bad for business. To do this, you have to make sure that the transfer of data is as small as possible, taking into account that internet transfer speed isn’t consistent in most places in the world.
To make things simple, the smaller the size, the bigger the compromise on the quality.
There are many measurements in digital audio format. What you mentioned is Hz is the measurement for the sampling rate (example like meter is for distance), which is one of the many measurements. For this discussion in relation to Spotify, we will look at the measurement in bit-rates (google if you want to find out more about digital audio and its measurements)

Here’s what Spotify uses:

Spotify uses 3 quality ratings for streaming, all in the Ogg Vorbis format.
• ~96 kbps
o Normal quality on mobile.
• ~160 kbps
o Desktop and web player standard quality.
o High quality on mobile.
• ~320 kbps (only available to Premium subscribers)
o Desktop high quality.
o Extreme quality on mobile.
Do note the higher quality you choose, it’s recommended to have a higher internet speed (or please select the available offline mode to download it first so it doesn’t stream).

Can you hear the difference? To me, yes, very much. But it differs from people I guess. An example is some people do watch movies in DVD and they’re happy but there’s BlueRay, then there’s 4k format that’s even higher.
You do need some nice headphones or speakers to hear the difference. For me I was disappointed with the so called Premium Spotify quality, but then again I understand as their main subsribers are just average consumers with average headphones who care more about the huge variety of choice rather than sound quality. Well, for the insanely dirt cheap price for a whole collection of songs and albums at 320kpbs I think its alright.
I subscribe to Spotify for on the go listening but if I like an album I’ll purchase it separately. If you are serious on audio quality do check out hdtracks.com. Bandcamp does offer high quality stuff too with extra freebies and I always donate extra directly to the artists.

TScalvintiffy
post May 28 2015, 11:57 PM

Getting Started
148 posts

QUOTE(echobrainproject @ May 28 2015, 01:19 PM)
The main challenge for audio streaming is to have the data sent without any interruption. Having a song buffer half way playing would be bad for business. To do this, you have to make sure that the transfer of data is as small as possible, taking into account that internet transfer speed isn’t consistent in most places in the world.
To make things simple, the smaller the size, the bigger the compromise on the quality.
There are many measurements in digital audio format. What you mentioned is Hz is the measurement for the sampling rate (example like meter is for distance), which is one of the many measurements. For this discussion in relation to Spotify, we will look at the measurement in bit-rates (google if you want to find out more about digital audio and its measurements)

Here’s what Spotify uses:
Do note the higher quality you choose, it’s recommended to have a higher internet speed (or please select the available offline mode to download it first so it doesn’t stream).

Can you hear the difference? To me, yes, very much. But it differs from people I guess. An example is some people do watch movies in DVD and they’re happy but there’s BlueRay, then there’s 4k format that’s even higher.
You do need some nice headphones or speakers to hear the difference. For me I was disappointed with the so called Premium Spotify quality, but then again I understand as their main subsribers are just average consumers with average headphones who care more about the huge variety of choice rather than sound quality. Well, for the insanely dirt cheap price for a whole collection of songs and albums at 320kpbs I think its alright.
I subscribe to Spotify for on the go listening but if I like an album I’ll purchase it separately. If you are serious on audio quality do check out hdtracks.com. Bandcamp does offer high quality stuff too with extra freebies and I always donate extra directly to the artists.
Thank you sifu for your detailed answers. Helped much! notworthy.gif notworthy.gif notworthy.gif

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0131sec    0.15    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:35 PM