Corsair H100i's performance discussion, vs Fan heatsink

views

llaw
post Jun 2 2015, 11:19 AM

Getting Started
66 posts

QUOTE(Quazacolt @ Jun 2 2015, 10:54 AM)
go custom la... fuck AIO as most noctua air coolers will just beat it anyways
Yea, very tempted to go custom WC. $$$ aside, still require a lot of effort...a bit lazy tongue.gif
Quazacolt
post Jun 2 2015, 11:21 AM

Riding couple
5,216 posts

QUOTE(llaw @ Jun 2 2015, 11:19 AM)
Yea, very tempted to go custom WC.  $$$ aside, still require a lot of effort...a bit lazy tongue.gif
mainly the $ la...

effort wise, it was much easier than i anticipated... the result is more than worthwhile.
and there's this... thing that feels damn good seeing/hearing liquid flowing around your pc (i was gazing at the damn reservoir/tubings during loop/leak test lol)
TSpsyduck89
post Jun 2 2015, 11:25 AM

New Korean Member
818 posts

QUOTE(llaw @ Jun 2 2015, 11:19 AM)
Yea, very tempted to go custom WC.  $$$ aside, still require a lot of effort...a bit lazy tongue.gif
the thing that bug me is not the price,
but the maintenance.. rclxub.gif

time consuming leh..
when cleaning/ add change part.
llaw
post Jun 2 2015, 11:34 AM

Getting Started
66 posts

QUOTE(Quazacolt @ Jun 2 2015, 11:21 AM)
mainly the $ la...

effort wise, it was much easier than i anticipated... the result is more than worthwhile.
and there's this... thing that feels damn good seeing/hearing liquid flowing around your pc (i was gazing at the damn reservoir/tubings during loop/leak test lol)
Still a lot more effort compare to AIO. Need to assemble, need to test, etc, etc... yawn.gif

QUOTE(psyduck89 @ Jun 2 2015, 11:25 AM)
but the maintenance..  rclxub.gif

time consuming leh..
I worry less about cleaning... maybe I didn't run it 24/7 laugh.gif
horns
post Jun 2 2015, 11:37 AM

\m/
3,036 posts

QUOTE(llaw @ Jun 2 2015, 10:22 AM)
My room is pretty hot, and seldom turn on air-cond to cut down electricity bill tongue.gif  Of course if I turn on air-cond, the temp will drop another 5-10C.
On nearly all real-world usage, my 4790K @ 4.6GHz will be below 70C at full load except video encoding.
And yea, I'm using push-pull fan config.

By the way, how do you mod H110 for GPU cooling?  I'm interested in doing that as well laugh.gif
you can use nzxt g10 or corsair's addons, http://www.corsair.com/en/cooling/gpu-cooling (however need to check compatibility with h110)

i use g10 because i have bought it and it's compatible with asetek heat sinks (like h110). it's like this one in the tutorial at youtube, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weV0FlahyDo

Quazacolt
post Jun 2 2015, 12:00 PM

Riding couple
5,216 posts

QUOTE(psyduck89 @ Jun 2 2015, 11:25 AM)
but the maintenance..  rclxub.gif

time consuming leh..
according to most sifu here and my own findings, not really laugh.gif

QUOTE(llaw @ Jun 2 2015, 11:34 AM)
Still a lot more effort compare to AIO.  Need to assemble, need to test, etc, etc... yawn.gif
eh i just assemble it once, let it leak test for few days throughout the weekdays (since no time to finalize it lol) and voila done lol.
TSpsyduck89
post Jun 2 2015, 12:10 PM

New Korean Member
818 posts

QUOTE(Quazacolt @ Jun 2 2015, 12:00 PM)
according to most sifu here and my own findings, not really laugh.gif
eh i just assemble it once, let it leak test for few days throughout the weekdays (since no time to finalize it lol) and voila done lol.
oo.. blink.gif

so mostly how long takes u to setup everything from 0?

Quazacolt
post Jun 2 2015, 12:12 PM

Riding couple
5,216 posts

QUOTE(psyduck89 @ Jun 2 2015, 12:10 PM)
oo.. blink.gif

so mostly how long takes u to setup everything from 0?
a day, only because i was rather clueless on how those primochill tubing work lol

=edit=
consider looking up my pictures on the main discussion thread.

notice i added a damn nice drain valve so if i need cleaning/maintenance, that will be much easier tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Quazacolt: Jun 2 2015, 12:13 PM
horns
post Jun 2 2015, 12:13 PM

\m/
3,036 posts

QUOTE(Quazacolt @ Jun 2 2015, 10:54 AM)
go custom la... fuck AIO as most noctua air coolers will just beat it anyways
we know custom wc is king, and certain air coolers perform better than typical aio (putting aside other factors). these are just personal preferences, not about which beats which.

i use aio because it's convenient to install and maintain, produce less noise, and it's sufficient enough to cool the cpu under loads. i don't need anything more than that.
llaw
post Jun 2 2015, 01:44 PM

Getting Started
66 posts

QUOTE(horns @ Jun 2 2015, 11:37 AM)
you can use nzxt g10 or corsair's addons, http://www.corsair.com/en/cooling/gpu-cooling (however need to check compatibility with h110)

i use g10 because i have bought it and it's compatible with asetek heat sinks (like h110). it's like this one in the tutorial at youtube, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weV0FlahyDo
Thanks for the link. Will take a look later biggrin.gif
lokety
post Jun 2 2015, 07:43 PM

Getting Started
51 posts

I'm living overseas and will return to KL soon for shopping PC parts, among other tasks. I'm interested in moving to an AIO cooling system for my GPU which I use for GPUGrid grid computing and considering the NZXT Kraken G10 with a Antec H2O 650 water cooler.

Where is a good place in PJ or KL to buy the above items?

horns
post Jun 2 2015, 08:51 PM

\m/
3,036 posts

QUOTE(lokety @ Jun 2 2015, 07:43 PM)
I'm living overseas and will return to KL soon for shopping PC parts, among other tasks. I'm interested in moving to an AIO cooling system for my GPU which I use for GPUGrid grid computing and considering the NZXT Kraken G10 with a Antec H2O 650 water cooler.

Where is a good place in PJ or KL to buy the above items?
not sure about antec stuff but for g10 you can get it from sellers @garage sales section here.

wow nice gpugrid grid computing smile.gif please note that there is an obvious problem with g10, vrm overheating. if the gpu is used for intensive tasks like furmark, gpu chip is ok, but vrm temperature can reach dangerous levels (like over 100c, depending on gpu, https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/...10-Review-527/) for gaming, i think it's safe. however things have changed since the year that article was written (2013). when i disassembled my gpu (asus 980 strix) to reapply thermal paste, i noticed that there was no direct contact of heat sinks to vrms like previous cards (basically it only covers gpu chip), while certain parts of the card have small heat sinks covered. (it's the same area in red in the picture below)

Attached Image

so i think the situation might not be as bad now.
Quazacolt
post Jun 2 2015, 08:57 PM

Riding couple
5,216 posts

QUOTE(horns @ Jun 2 2015, 08:51 PM)
not sure about antec stuff but for g10 you can get it from sellers @garage sales section here.

wow nice gpugrid grid computing smile.gif please note that there is an obvious problem with g10, vrm overheating. if the gpu is used for intensive tasks like furmark, gpu chip is ok, but vrm temperature can reach dangerous levels (like over 100c, depending on gpu, https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/...10-Review-527/) for gaming, i think it's safe. however things have changed since the year that article was written (2013). when i disassembled my gpu (asus 980 strix) to reapply thermal paste, i noticed that there was no direct contact of heat sinks to vrms like previous cards (basically it only covers gpu chip), while certain parts of the card have small heat sinks covered. (it's the same area in red in the picture below)

Attached Image

so i think the situation might not be as bad now.
i had horrible experiences with my old 8800 ultra VRMs, so this time i am not taking any chances and i strictly will only go will full cover block with the VRMs chilled as well laugh.gif
horns
post Jun 2 2015, 09:28 PM

\m/
3,036 posts

QUOTE(Quazacolt @ Jun 2 2015, 08:57 PM)
i had horrible experiences with my old 8800 ultra VRMs, so this time i am not taking any chances and i strictly will only go will full cover block with the VRMs chilled as well laugh.gif
hehe i think there is a reason behind as of why asus or any other brands dare to have such changes. unlike previous cards that had proper direct contacts of vrm to stock heat sink, asus 980 strix has none.

Attached Image

still, the best is like you said, covering everything with a full block.
davidletterboyz
post Jun 3 2015, 09:43 AM

Der Kaiser
4,671 posts

QUOTE(Quazacolt @ Jun 2 2015, 10:56 AM)
put it this way, in ANY hobbies, there are diminishing returns.

custom WC is just that: you spend loads more, and gain less.
however custom wc is still going to beat AIO anytime any day; in fact, high end air cools like noctua (D15 anyone?) will rape almost all AIO like nothing, while possibly spending less!
This.
And I think WC is only justifiable if one goes for high end setup. No point spending on custom WC or even high end AIO only to use it for Intel Pentium. doh.gif

The headroom from air cooling to water cooling max oc is not that significant, compared to the significant price one pays.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0172sec    0.40    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:59 PM