Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Book Recommendation in Coding

views

TSToiletMaster
post May 19 2015, 12:16 PM, updated 9y ago

Enthusiast
773 posts

Hi there sifu,

currently i'm studying IT as of yet, but if possible i'd like to know a bit more on android programming + web design (HTML & CSS). I understand there are alot of online courses, but it feels very different from having a reference book that i can read on without viewing it on the screen itself.

I've checked through MPH and Borders but the book selection was very limited on what i could find that could aid me. Books were either too limited to choose from, or either published from 4 years above. If possible i'd like to look for books that is publishes at least 3 years and below. of course the more recent it was published it would be great.

If there's any books you could recommend (hard-copy) whether it's amazon or anywhere else, It'd be really helpful!

Cheers!
angch
post May 19 2015, 03:00 PM

On my way
635 posts

QUOTE(ToiletMaster @ May 19 2015, 12:16 PM)
I understand there are alot of online courses, but it feels very different from having a reference book that i can read on without viewing it on the screen itself.
Reading books to learn coding away from the computer is like learning to cook from cook books away from the kitchen.

The best Android resource, because it moves so fast, is https://developer.android.com/training/basi...tapp/index.html PDF it if you must. But buying books on it is basically investing in doorstops. It will have moved on by the time you finish it.

And HTML+CSS is stable is enough that older books will probably still apply. Don't worry much about how outdated it is. Dive in and get started. *Then* look for the newer cutting edge stuff, but all those are all online.

For what it's worth, "Javascript, the Good Parts", "CSS Zen Garden", "Javascript: The Definitive Guide" are the web related books I had on the bookshelf. Nope, none of them are that useful for learning, to fork out money for.

wKkaY
post May 20 2015, 10:38 PM

misutā supākoru
Group Icon
VIP
6,008 posts

I get my reference books in the form of e-books from Amazon or Safari. Instant delivery and readable wherever I am. Check out their bestseller lists.

I think reference books are a good supplement to learning by writing code, because it increases your breadth/depth in the subject. Don't become a coder whose only source of knowledge is from googling answers on stackoverflow wink.gif
TSToiletMaster
post May 21 2015, 12:27 AM

Enthusiast
773 posts

QUOTE(angch @ May 19 2015, 03:00 PM)
Reading books to learn coding away from the computer is like learning to cook from cook books away from the kitchen.

The best Android resource, because it moves so fast, is https://developer.android.com/training/basi...tapp/index.html PDF it if you must. But buying books on it is basically investing in doorstops. It will have moved on by the time you finish it.

And HTML+CSS is stable is enough that older books will probably still apply. Don't worry much about how outdated it is. Dive in and get started. *Then* look for the newer cutting edge stuff, but all those are all online.

For what it's worth, "Javascript, the Good Parts", "CSS Zen Garden", "Javascript: The Definitive Guide" are the web related books I had on the bookshelf. Nope, none of them are that useful for learning, to fork out money for.
Hi angch,

thanks for your answer. I understand that as time goes by, the version differ from the one that what published, however, i still prefer having a physical book over looking it through online. Not to mention is that sometimes look through websites are a bit difficult for my eyes as compared to a physical book. I could spend hours reading a programming book but only minutes when focus something on reading over the screen. (it could only be me though) but i was hoping to establish a base first before i proceed further. even though the versions may differ a little bit.

Thank you for the recommendations btw!

QUOTE(wKkaY @ May 20 2015, 10:38 PM)
I get my reference books in the form of e-books from Amazon or Safari. Instant delivery and readable wherever I am. Check out their bestseller lists.

I think reference books are a good supplement to learning by writing code, because it increases your breadth/depth in the subject. Don't become a coder whose only source of knowledge is from googling answers on stackoverflow wink.gif
Hi wKkaY,

thanks for your answer, i did try referencing from Amazon to find the books with great reviews in numbers. Unfortunately it seems that malaysia doesn't sell those books, while e-reading is definitely great, i can't seem to focus much when reading it on a monitor as compared to a book.

This post has been edited by ToiletMaster: May 21 2015, 12:27 AM
wKkaY
post May 21 2015, 12:58 AM

misutā supākoru
Group Icon
VIP
6,008 posts

if you don't mind the wait, you can ship from Amazon or place a special order at kinokuniya.
angch
post May 21 2015, 06:29 PM

On my way
635 posts

Couple of additional things: O'Reilly used to be decent publisher of respectable technical books; and I've heard good things about their "Head First" series for beginners; and the sample chapter looks pretty okay to me, so... take a look at:

http://shop.oreilly.com/product/9780596159924.do

TSToiletMaster
post May 24 2015, 08:03 PM

Enthusiast
773 posts

QUOTE(wKkaY @ May 21 2015, 12:58 AM)
if you don't mind the wait, you can ship from Amazon or place a special order at kinokuniya.
Sorry for the late reply, thanks! I do heard that kinokuniya has a much broader selection of books compared to MPH and borders which i've been to, would that be correct? I've been to kinokuniya before, but never really there for a book except for now.

QUOTE(angch @ May 21 2015, 06:29 PM)
Couple of additional things: O'Reilly used to be decent publisher of respectable technical books; and I've heard good things about their "Head First" series for beginners; and the sample chapter looks pretty okay to me, so... take a look at:

http://shop.oreilly.com/product/9780596159924.do
Sorry for the late reply, and thanks! This will definitely help me out. Cheers!
heliosi
post May 24 2015, 08:38 PM

Getting Started
89 posts

Sometimes your local library may surprise you...especially if it's one of those modern ones.

For books:
https://www.quora.com/As-of-2014-whats-are-...app-programming

As learning resources:
https://www.quora.com/What-are-some-of-the-...app-development

krip
post May 25 2015, 12:21 AM

Getting Started
65 posts

Claim free and quality ebook everyday here : https://www.packtpub.com/packt/offers/free-learning
TheSolver
post May 25 2015, 09:41 AM

Regular
1,108 posts

QUOTE(ToiletMaster @ May 21 2015, 12:27 AM)
Hi angch,

thanks for your answer. I understand that as time goes by, the version  differ from the one that what published, however, i still prefer having a physical book over looking it through online. Not to mention is that sometimes look through websites are a bit difficult for my eyes as compared to a physical book. I could spend hours reading a programming book but only minutes when focus something on reading over the screen. (it could only be me though) but i was hoping to establish a base first before i proceed further. even though the versions may differ a little bit.

Thank you for the recommendations btw!
Hi wKkaY,

thanks for your answer, i did try referencing from Amazon to find the books with great reviews in numbers. Unfortunately it seems that malaysia doesn't sell those books, while e-reading is definitely great, i can't seem to focus much when reading it on a monitor as compared to a book.
If the bold typed above is one of your concerns, I recommend get yourself Unix books available even from the libraries. It is truly evergreen. If you're using iOS, or Xenix or whatever related, your knowledge from the books is still applicable.

During Perl dominant internet era, you could use a compendium of eBooks on DVD as complementary from O'Reilly quality books available in .chm, .pdf and best of all in html+css itself.

This post has been edited by TheSolver: May 25 2015, 09:42 AM
alien3d
post May 25 2015, 11:21 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,740 posts

QUOTE(krip @ May 25 2015, 12:21 AM)
Claim free and quality ebook everyday here : https://www.packtpub.com/packt/offers/free-learning
good one. rclxms.gif rclxms.gif
TheSolver
post May 25 2015, 11:46 AM

Regular
1,108 posts

QUOTE(alien3d @ May 25 2015, 11:21 AM)
good one. rclxms.gif  rclxms.gif
How can it be good one if the freebies eBook offers are obscure ones and the thickness of 200 pages?
alien3d
post May 25 2015, 11:52 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,740 posts

QUOTE(TheSolver @ May 25 2015, 11:46 AM)
How can it be good one if the freebies eBook offers are obscure ones and the thickness of 200 pages?
never download yet.. but it's take time to me to learn new thing. blink.gif ..
angch
post May 25 2015, 11:58 AM

On my way
635 posts

QUOTE(TheSolver @ May 25 2015, 09:41 AM)
I recommend get yourself Unix books available even from the libraries. It is truly evergreen.
Offtopic, but from another thread:

QUOTE(wKkaY @ May 21 2015, 04:47 PM)
Why are you still using partitions? There are alternatives that are more flexible.
Horrible swap sizes; using the deprecated ifconfig; still using fdisk over parted; using fancy options in tar as a local filesystem clone instead of "cp -a" ( c.f. Unix Power Tools: http://docstore.mik.ua/orelly/unix3/upt/ch10_13.htm ); etc. All really bad habits. One I'm still unlearning and learning the newer ones. (Damn, you systemd, yet another new init system to learn).

All because tons of newbies still reading the outdated docs and books.

(Preemptive: Yes, I know Unix != "Linux", and I have a copy of the purple book (RIP(?) Evi Nemeth) UNIX System Administration Handbook on the bookshelf. And please don't read it, unless for historical reasons, even though it was a "bible" for System Admin years ago).

This post has been edited by angch: May 25 2015, 11:59 AM
TheSolver
post May 25 2015, 12:12 PM

Regular
1,108 posts

QUOTE(angch @ May 25 2015, 11:58 AM)
Horrible swap sizes; using the deprecated ifconfig; still using fdisk over parted; using fancy options in tar as a local filesystem clone instead of "cp -a" ( c.f. Unix Power Tools: http://docstore.mik.ua/orelly/unix3/upt/ch10_13.htm ); etc. All really bad habits. One I'm still unlearning and learning the newer ones. (Damn, you systemd, yet another new init system to learn).

(Preemptive: Yes, I know Unix != "Linux", and I have a copy of the purple book (RIP(?) Evi Nemeth) UNIX System Administration Handbook on the bookshelf. And please don't read it, unless for historical reasons, even though it was a "bible" for System Admin years ago).
Systemd? I am learning it more and deeply rather be an instant convert. Isn't it scary to have most things in user space?

I am of the opinion having old knowledge that is still applicable in modern system is good but know a bit of everything of new inventions is also good.
danieln
post May 25 2015, 12:17 PM

Regular
1,249 posts

try these 3 hands on and you should be able to progress further.

http://www.raywenderlich.com/android-tutorials
TheSolver
post May 25 2015, 02:08 PM

Regular
1,108 posts

QUOTE(angch @ May 25 2015, 11:58 AM)

Look at the manual for 'cp', -a for --archive is a recent addition and it is not versatile enough to traverse different file systems. You finally have to resort to 'piping' for full flexibiity, e.g.
CODE
tar czvf - |nc <ip> <port>

and on another host and possibly a different file system
CODE
n -l <port>|tar xzvf -

You can't do that with "cp -a" can you?
angch
post May 25 2015, 02:19 PM

On my way
635 posts

QUOTE(TheSolver @ May 25 2015, 02:08 PM)
Look at the manual for 'cp', -a for --archive is a recent addition and it is not versatile enough to traverse different file systems. You finally have to resort to 'piping' for full flexibiity, e.g.
CODE
tar czvf - |nc <ip> <port>

and on another host and possibly a different file system
CODE
n -l <port>|tar xzvf -

You can't do that with "cp -a" can you?
(offtopic)

cp -a *can* traverse filesystems. Cannot traverse servers. And yeah, netcat rocks (remember your --xattr if you want to retain more metadata). And no citation, but "-a" has been around since a loooooong time.

Anyway, context:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/mylinuxsysa...31320597045210/

This post has been edited by angch: May 25 2015, 02:24 PM

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0158sec    0.29    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:55 PM