post Aug 18 2015, 08:19 AM

讨厌的 ubuntu
2,922 posts

the good old time when my 1st pclinuxos installed smile.gif
zenix
post Aug 21 2015, 09:11 AM

Pirate Captain
6,149 posts

QUOTE(OvenBaked @ Aug 13 2015, 03:07 PM)
How about PuppyLinux?
it is good but my only experience with it was before they had USB versions only mini cd versions so i couldn't save anything even the settings but i think they fixed that with usb versions nowadays.

used to use it as a very light os to boot up to do recovery
TSprakash11
post Sep 2 2015, 07:05 PM

Casual
332 posts

QUOTE(zenix @ Aug 6 2015, 09:05 AM)
it was a good thing too as the current crop of easy to use nix all took a page out of ubuntu's book when it comes to user friendliness.
no more headache how to partition and setup your HDD the feeling was more what users were generally used to which was the windows installer.
I was the odd one out who gave PCLOS a shot 8 years ago. Ubuntu is a good distro even better when combined for education like Edubuntu. Anywhere, there is no one OS which is the greatest. Both sides of the coin, propriety vs foss serve different requirements. With the advent of service based solutions, cloud and mobile computing. The line is getting blurred.

wodenus
post Sep 2 2015, 10:14 PM

Tree Octopus
All Stars
14,990 posts

QUOTE(prakash11 @ Sep 2 2015, 07:05 PM)
I was the odd one out who gave PCLOS a shot 8 years ago. Ubuntu is a good distro even better when combined for education like Edubuntu. Anywhere, there is no one OS which is the greatest. Both sides of the coin, propriety vs foss serve different requirements. With the advent of service based solutions, cloud and mobile computing. The line is getting blurred.
Used Ubuntu for a while.. not nearly as fast or stable or compatible as PCLOS. Better looking though, FWIW smile.gif

This post has been edited by wodenus: Sep 2 2015, 11:02 PM
zenix
post Sep 3 2015, 09:12 AM

Pirate Captain
6,149 posts

QUOTE(prakash11 @ Sep 2 2015, 07:05 PM)
i just tried PCLOS now and then on live cd, not too serious on it.
i did like the layout as it was an easier transition for friends of mine whom i recommended it as they were windows users whom bought barebones acer/dell during those years where they reduce a few hundred bucks by giving PCDOS/Linux/NO OS.

QUOTE(wodenus @ Sep 2 2015, 10:14 PM)
Used Ubuntu for a while.. not nearly as fast or stable or compatible as PCLOS. Better looking though, FWIW smile.gif
when you say compatible you mean hardware compatibility, right?
i find ubuntu much better than most distro's when it comes to hardware autodetect and driver compatibility.
wodenus
post Sep 3 2015, 09:42 AM

Tree Octopus
All Stars
14,990 posts

QUOTE(zenix @ Sep 3 2015, 09:12 AM)
i just tried PCLOS now and then on live cd, not too serious on it.
i did like the layout as it was an easier transition for friends of mine whom i recommended it as they were windows users whom bought barebones acer/dell during those years where they reduce a few hundred bucks by giving PCDOS/Linux/NO OS.

Yea it's small and fast and close to CB (which is dead tongue.gif )

QUOTE(zenix @ Sep 3 2015, 09:12 AM)
when you say compatible you mean hardware compatibility, right?
i find ubuntu much better than most distro's when it comes to hardware autodetect and driver compatibility.

You haven't tried variously formatted USB sticks yet. Try some formatted in FAT, some in EXT3, some in EXT4.. and then you realize sometimes it just doesn't read lol. That's the best thing about linux.. if it doesn't work just switch to one that does smile.gif

zenix
post Sep 3 2015, 10:26 AM

Pirate Captain
6,149 posts

QUOTE(wodenus @ Sep 3 2015, 09:42 AM)
Yea it's small and fast and close to CB (which is dead tongue.gif )
You haven't tried variously formatted USB sticks yet. Try some formatted in FAT, some in EXT3, some in EXT4.. and then you realize sometimes it just doesn't read lol. That's the best thing about linux.. if it doesn't work just switch to one that does smile.gif
what is CB?
i find that shoehorning repositories from another flavor works just as well.
fat16
post Sep 3 2015, 10:40 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,582 posts

QUOTE(zenix @ Sep 3 2015, 10:26 AM)
what is CB?
i find that shoehorning repositories from another flavor works just as well.
#!
CrunchBang Linux
zenix
post Sep 3 2015, 10:45 AM

Pirate Captain
6,149 posts

QUOTE(fat16 @ Sep 3 2015, 10:40 AM)
#!
CrunchBang Linux
never use it or heard of it sweat.gif
i'm not too deep into linux laugh.gif
TSprakash11
post Sep 4 2015, 12:01 PM

Casual
332 posts

Thanks everyone, keep the comments coming. Anyone tried to configure linux for printing using CUPS. Please share your experience. Myself tried successfully using canon ip1000 (using rpm drivers from canon japan). Works like a charm.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0130sec    0.29    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:51 PM