Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

69 Pages « < 46 47 48 49 50 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Alienware Mothership V12, Intruder alert!

views

shawn2k4
post Aug 16 2017, 11:28 PM

Getting Started
253 posts

Hmmm just wondering, anyone in here owns or uses an Alienware M14x R3 and are you guys able to run the system with the battery unattached/removed and just using direct AC adapter?

raymondtong94
post Aug 17 2017, 10:45 AM

Choco-chan daisuki!
11,096 posts

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid...1644901972&fs=1

HDR update for AW13 OLED models. I really hope Dell offers optional OLED upgrade for their larger counterparts.
Jay Chua CC
post Aug 17 2017, 11:30 AM

~Dont settle for good. Demand great~
5,907 posts

Planing to upgrade my laptop stock ram 4+4gb to 4+8gb ram. Can i just swp one of the ram out?
Will it affect the performance since i read that its best to use the same 4+4 or 8+8.
Btw Aw 13 2015 is using ddr3 or ddr3l?

This post has been edited by Jay Chua CC: Aug 17 2017, 11:30 AM
ise
post Aug 23 2017, 03:14 PM

Getting Started
203 posts

QUOTE(Jay Chua CC @ Aug 17 2017, 11:30 AM)
Planing to upgrade my laptop stock ram 4+4gb to 4+8gb ram. Can i just swp one of the ram out?
Will it affect the performance since i read that its best to use the same 4+4 or 8+8.
Yes, DDR3 1600, just upgrade with 16 GB cost 400 (crucial)
horns
post Aug 24 2017, 01:05 PM

\m/
3,036 posts

QUOTE(Jay Chua CC @ Aug 17 2017, 11:30 AM)
your model uses ddr3l. you can always verify this with official specifications at aw support page. putting a ddr3 (without l) into your system might cause potential hardware issues later.

always make sure the clock speed and voltage of the rams are the same for both if you wanna do mixed ram.

yes it's safer to upgrade with proper ram pairs. while mixed ram works if you followed the rules, there might have side effects also. (if the specs is not the same the pairs will down clock to the lowest clock, with or without side effects)

sonic_sphere
post Aug 27 2017, 02:37 PM

Casual
450 posts

hi all... i'm using the latest Alienware 15 model with 16GB RAM...

now i'm thinking to upgrade my RAM into 32 GB RAM...

my question is:
1) can i simply go to any shop to do the upgrade? (my unit is still under warranty)
2) since the RAM is 16 GB (8+8), so i need to get 16+16 rite?
3) what is the estimated cost? the RAM type is DDR4...

thank you!

anybody here provide the service for the upgrading also can PM me... rclxms.gif
Jay Chua CC
post Aug 27 2017, 02:41 PM

~Dont settle for good. Demand great~
5,907 posts

QUOTE(sonic_sphere @ Aug 27 2017, 02:37 PM)

my question is:
1) can i simply go to any shop to do the upgrade? (my unit is still under warranty)
thank you!

anybody here provide the service for the upgrading also can PM me...  rclxms.gif
Any plans to let go your 8+8gb ram?
horns
post Aug 28 2017, 04:47 AM

\m/
3,036 posts

my question is:
thank you!

anybody here provide the service for the upgrading also can PM me...  rclxms.gif
if it's aw15 r3,

1. yes you can do that. aw's warranty policy is much more linear than the rest of mainstream gaming laptops.
2. yes. kingston ddr4 2400mhz 16gb x2 should be good enough. there is no need to go with performance ram. you gain nothing.
3. slightly less than 1.2k
myway1985
post Aug 28 2017, 09:58 AM

10k Club
All Stars
11,471 posts

my question is:
thank you!

lai lai

trade in ur 8 + 8 n add RM600 for 16GB ram...
alvinkhorfire
post Sep 9 2017, 08:12 AM

Getting Started
214 posts

I have an Alienware M15x Laptop, with AMD Mobility Radeon HD5850 video card.

Yesterday, when I was browsing the Internet, I noticed that there were some green square dots near the edge of my LCD screen. Then, some green lines appeared, and the LCD screen started to flicker, before becoming blank. sad.gif

I held the power button to perform an improper shutdown. During booting up (Windows logo was shown), the LCD screen flickered intermittently, before loading to Desktop. It was okay for a while, before some white vertical bars appeared on my flickering LCD screen.

Blue screen of Death with the message VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE was shown, and the laptop automatically restarted, to Windows Recovery, as shown in the screenshot. Just ignore the two circular darkened areas, which was caused by other issues. You can see the vertical white bars. A while later, I just turned off the laptop.

Attached Image

Now, after Windows logo is shown, the LCD screen becomes blank, and I cannot see the desktop anymore. cry.gif

Google search on VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE reveals that “Graphics Display driver for the installed graphics card stops responding. When this happens, windows will stop and restart the driver to fix the problem. The most common reason for this issue is that the graphics device is being overloaded or used beyond its capabilities.”

Then again, I recently did not play any game on my laptop. Surely, browsing the internet will not overload my video card excessively.

I am using Windows 10, and AMD Catalyst Driver 15.7.1, which is the latest Windows 10-compatible driver released by AMD for this video card. For many months, I have been using this video driver without any issues.

Can anyone figure out the cause of the laptop problem? Is it LCD screen, or video card?

Thank you for your advice, which I appreciate very much. thumbup.gif

horns
post Sep 12 2017, 01:40 AM

\m/
3,036 posts

QUOTE(alvinkhorfire @ Sep 9 2017, 08:12 AM)
I have an Alienware M15x Laptop, with AMD Mobility Radeon HD5850 video card.
Yesterday, when I was browsing the Internet, I noticed that there were some green square dots near the edge of my LCD screen. Then, some green lines appeared, and the LCD screen started to flicker, before becoming blank.  sad.gif
I held the power button to perform an improper shutdown. During booting up (Windows logo was shown), the LCD screen flickered intermittently, before loading to Desktop. It was okay for a while, before some white vertical bars appeared on my flickering LCD screen.
Blue screen of Death with the message VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE was shown, and the laptop automatically restarted, to Windows Recovery, as shown in the screenshot. Just ignore the two circular darkened areas, which was caused by other issues. You can see the vertical white bars. A while later, I just turned off the laptop.
Attached Image
Now, after Windows logo is shown, the LCD screen becomes blank, and I cannot see the desktop anymore.  cry.gif
Google search on VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE reveals that “Graphics Display driver for the installed graphics card stops responding. When this happens, windows will stop and restart the driver to fix the problem. The most common reason for this issue is that the graphics device is being overloaded or used beyond its capabilities.”
Then again, I recently did not play any game on my laptop. Surely, browsing the internet will not overload my video card excessively.
I am using Windows 10, and AMD Catalyst Driver 15.7.1, which is the latest Windows 10-compatible driver released by AMD for this video card. For many months, I have been using this video driver without any issues.
Can anyone figure out the cause of the laptop problem? Is it LCD screen, or video card?
Thank you for your advice, which I appreciate very much.  thumbup.gif
what's the temperature of your gpu? get hwinfo64, run the sensor page and observe its temperature. if it's over heating, clean up the cooling system for gpu (fans and heat sinks).
alvinkhorfire
post Sep 17 2017, 10:31 PM

Getting Started
214 posts

horns

Well, after Windows logo is shown, the LCD screen becomes blank, and I cannot see the desktop anymore.

So, I am unable to run hwinfo64.

This post has been edited by alvinkhorfire: Sep 17 2017, 10:32 PM
horns
post Sep 17 2017, 11:15 PM

\m/
3,036 posts

QUOTE(alvinkhorfire @ Sep 17 2017, 10:31 PM)
horns

Well, after Windows logo is shown, the LCD screen becomes blank, and I cannot see the desktop anymore.

So, I am unable to run hwinfo64.
use another monitor also cannot?
kart
post Sep 22 2017, 07:27 PM

Regular
1,483 posts

Deleted.

This post has been edited by kart: Sep 23 2017, 06:08 AM
horns
post Sep 22 2017, 08:29 PM

\m/
3,036 posts

QUOTE(kart @ Sep 22 2017, 07:27 PM)
horns

Sorry, I do not have an external monitor in my home.

It looks like I do not have other choices, other than to change the video card.
you could just connect to one of your friends' (it's just for a while haha)

although it looked like the gpu is failing, you can try to do cleanup first. get some cotton butts, a tube of thermal paste and isopropyl alcohol for thermal paste replacement also.

alvinkhorfire
post Sep 23 2017, 08:13 AM

Getting Started
214 posts

horns

Ok, I will try to look around, to find any monitor that I can borrow from my friends. smile.gif

cotton butts - is it same as those I can get from pharmacy, to remove ear wax from our ears?

a tube of thermal paste and isopropyl alcohol - what is the brand and the approximate price of the respective item?

For thermal paste and isopropyl alcohol, I am looking for mid-range quality, that I can buy from computer shops, such as in Lowyat Plaza.

There is no point buying for high-end products, since I do not overclock my laptop. For sure, I am not stingy, until I am buying substandard products that can damage my laptop.

Thank you for your advice, horns. notworthy.gif

This post has been edited by alvinkhorfire: Sep 23 2017, 08:15 AM
horns
post Sep 23 2017, 11:55 AM

\m/
3,036 posts

QUOTE(alvinkhorfire @ Sep 23 2017, 08:13 AM)
horns

Ok, I will try to look around, to find any monitor that I can borrow from my friends. smile.gif

cotton butts - is it same as those I can get from pharmacy, to remove ear wax from our ears?

a tube of thermal paste and isopropyl alcohol - what is the brand and the approximate price of the respective item?
For thermal paste and isopropyl alcohol, I am looking for mid-range quality, that I can buy from computer shops, such as in Lowyat Plaza.

There is no point buying for high-end products, since I do not overclock my laptop. For sure, I am not stingy, until I am buying substandard products that can damage my laptop.

Thank you for your advice, horns.  notworthy.gif
for cotton butts/facial cleansing pads, yes you can use those from pharmacy; from alchohol you can get from garage sales, e.g. gbsiang, https://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?showtopic=1961497 ; for thermal paste, you can use arctic mx-4, noctua nt-h1 or thermal grizzly kryonaut. pricing wise, not really sure how much they sell these days, but they're not expensive. (like around myr30+?)
alvinkhorfire
post Sep 24 2017, 05:24 PM

Getting Started
214 posts

Thanks for your suggestion, horns. thumbup.gif

Can I easily buy a small tube of thermal paste and a small bottle of isopropyl alcohol from computer shops in Lowyat Plaza, such as in Viewnet and Jayacom?

It is best for me to replace the faulty AMD Mobility Radeon HD5850, with an AMD video card.

My processor is Intel Core i7 740QM Processor, and I still want to use my 150 Watt AC Adapter. For that, my laptop cannot support AMD Radeon HD 7970M, as my power adapter is underpowered, and I do not want to change my power adapter.

For now, I am looking an AMD video card that is more powerful than my faulty AMD Mobility Radeon HD5850, but is weaker than AMD Radeon HD 7970M, to be used in my Alienware M15x Laptop.

- No hardware modification or software modification is required.
- I should be able to reuse some parts from my AMD Mobility Radeon HD5850, such as X-bracket (mounting plate), thermal pads and etc.
- I do not need to flash vBIOS of the AMD mobile video card.
- My existing 150 Watt AC Adapter can comfortably power the whole laptop during gaming, without severe overheating.

Thank you for your advice. notworthy.gif

This post has been edited by alvinkhorfire: Sep 24 2017, 05:26 PM
horns
post Sep 24 2017, 05:55 PM

\m/
3,036 posts

QUOTE(alvinkhorfire @ Sep 24 2017, 05:24 PM)
Thanks for your suggestion, hornsthumbup.gif

Can I easily buy a small tube of thermal paste and a small bottle of isopropyl alcohol from computer shops in Lowyat Plaza, such as in Viewnet and Jayacom?
It is best for me to replace the faulty AMD Mobility Radeon HD5850, with an AMD video card.
My processor is Intel Core i7 740QM Processor, and I still want to use my 150 Watt AC Adapter. For that, my laptop cannot support AMD Radeon HD 7970M, as my power adapter is underpowered, and I do not want to change my power adapter.
For now, I am looking an AMD video card that is more powerful than my faulty AMD Mobility Radeon HD5850, but is weaker than AMD Radeon HD 7970M, to be used in my Alienware M15x Laptop.

- No hardware modification or software modification is required.
-  I should be able to reuse some parts from my AMD Mobility Radeon HD5850, such as X-bracket (mounting plate), thermal pads and etc.
- I do not need to flash vBIOS of the AMD mobile video card.
- My existing 150 Watt AC Adapter can comfortably power the whole laptop during gaming, without severe overheating.

Thank you for your advice.  notworthy.gif
no problem; for thermal paste a small tube will do; but i don't think lyp has isopropyl alcohol. you can ask for it or arctic clean also. usually i just get them online.

about gpu replacement it's better to check with e_mc_square if it's compatible and ok to use with the stock adapter. the relevant thread is at https://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?showtopic=3305442

The~Joker
post Sep 26 2017, 05:39 PM

Casual
454 posts

is 50-55 degrees celsius a good temp under normal load?? for alienware 17r4 7820hk gtx1080

69 Pages « < 46 47 48 49 50 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0236sec    0.29    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:56 AM