Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Difference between PPPOE and PPPOA connections, What is the difference?

views

notystar_exe
post Jan 18 2009, 01:47 AM

✖kapan™✖
725 posts

QUOTE(enemyofgod @ Dec 16 2008, 08:05 PM)
try 60.xxx.xxx.xx
totally agreed with him...128.xxx.x...... is not so god for gaming
ohjani
post Mar 16 2009, 03:30 PM

22 posts

I have a small confusion here, since most of you saying PPPoE and PPPoA are actually the same (in most way) and the only different is the DSLAM structure, so my question here is, I'm planning to purchase a Link Balancer to input 2 ISPs to my company. By right, the Link Balancer doesn't deal with the ISP line directly, it only channels the traffic from 2 ISP modems (1 is PPPoE, the other is PPPoA) into 1 line and thus pass it to the company firewall. I already have the 2 respective modems setup properly, and both is able to link to my network if use one by one. Now, when I check the Link Balancer feature sheet again, it says itsWAN can support PPPoE, Static IT, DHCP & GRE. Before I take out my $$ to purchase this device, I want to make sure it can really run for my PPPoA line. I emailed to the Link Balancer company to show my concern, but they gave a very unsure answer, they said if the datasheet says cannot support, then cannot support lor. Where else another dealer said should be no problem because I only link it to the modem, not the real ISP line, as long as my modem can recognise, then the Link Balancer shoudn't have any problem.

So, my problem here is, who should I believe? I don't want to waste a few thousand ringgit on a new device and ends up cannot use ....

Would appreciate advise from anyone ! Thanks.
zeronehza
post Apr 26 2009, 04:38 PM

Malaysian Real Madrid Supporter Club
1,675 posts

guys.. im enterprise user here.. can anyone sharing their speed test (ppoa user are welcome to sharing).. include ping test over local dns 202.188.1.5 or www.tm.net.my

my ping really high and suck.. i wanna get some comparison
gujila
post Jun 23 2009, 12:51 AM

0 posts

QUOTE(ohjani @ Mar 16 2009, 03:30 PM)
I have a small confusion here, since most of you saying PPPoE and PPPoA are actually the same (in most way) and the only different is the DSLAM structure, so my question here is, I'm planning to purchase a Link Balancer to input 2 ISPs to my company.  By right, the Link Balancer doesn't deal with the ISP line directly, it only channels the traffic from 2 ISP modems (1 is PPPoE, the other is PPPoA) into 1 line and thus pass it to the company firewall.  I already have the 2 respective modems setup properly, and both is able to link to my network if use one by one.  Now, when I check the Link Balancer feature sheet again, it says itsWAN can support PPPoE, Static IT, DHCP & GRE.  Before I take out my $$ to purchase this device, I want to make sure it can really run for my PPPoA line.  I emailed to the Link Balancer company to show my concern, but they gave a very unsure answer, they said if the datasheet says cannot support, then cannot support lor.  Where else another dealer said should be no problem because I only link it to the modem, not the real ISP line, as long as my modem can recognise, then the Link Balancer shoudn't have any problem.

So, my problem here is, who should I believe?  I don't want to waste a few thousand ringgit on a new device and ends up cannot use ....

Would appreciate advise from anyone !  Thanks.
hello
ur q's is can it (link balancer) run on PPOA package rite?
Link balancer -can run into two connection type or ISP (PPoE and PPoA package), using different modem and setting , which 1 is fixed IP and 1 dynamic IP provide by ISP, its design to manage multiple internet and private WAN links.- or other network such as P2P, VPN's, VOIP (application).

"Link Balancer feature sheet again, it says itsWAN can support PPPoE, Static IT, DHCP & GRE. " network type shouldnt be a problem.
u just need to know how to configure all those setting...
and u already setup ur modem rite, *** both is able to link to my network if use one by one" - meaning ur modem able to get connected to ur network and internet rite? - no problem then.

simple diagram.
internet--->Modem(PPoA)________.Link Balancer -------> (DMZ)--internal network
--->Modem(PPoE) '
FYI
ISP just support bandwidth till ur modem, so if u ask TMNut about ur network they will not entertain u. sigh~ whistling.gif

Correct me if im wrong...
Hope this will help u
Thanks..
simon82
post Nov 11 2009, 04:41 PM

On my way
562 posts

QUOTE(zeronehza @ Apr 26 2009, 04:38 PM)
guys.. im enterprise user here.. can anyone sharing their speed test (ppoa user are welcome to sharing).. include ping test over local dns 202.188.1.5 or www.tm.net.my

my ping really high and suck..  i wanna get some comparison
This is my company (SDSL package I think - not sure)..

user posted image

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ping www.tm.net.my

Pinging www.3dns.tm.net.my [202.71.97.48] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 202.71.97.48: bytes=32 time=16ms TTL=117
Reply from 202.71.97.48: bytes=32 time=14ms TTL=117
Reply from 202.71.97.48: bytes=32 time=15ms TTL=117
Reply from 202.71.97.48: bytes=32 time=15ms TTL=117

Ping statistics for 202.71.97.48:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 14ms, Maximum = 16ms, Average = 15ms

ayu
post Sep 5 2010, 12:55 PM

~Great Seller~Excellent service~
1,298 posts

Mean if shop install a streamyx it will using a PPPOA ???
I got try a install a PPPoA on my Dlink usb modem and it cannot be working . << What happened actually?
mvito
post Nov 17 2010, 11:56 PM

1 posts

Hi, i recently bought AZTECH DSL1015EN(L), the problem is i couldnt connect my iphone 2 it! but my wireless laptop worked just fine pls help.
techie321
post Mar 31 2014, 07:41 PM

0 posts

WOW so much info, just started network+ course, this thread is gonna come in sooooo handy biggrin.gif thumbup.gif
Hsbc88
post Feb 15 2016, 12:20 PM

14 posts

So much information about PPPOE and PPPOA comment.I think is a good information about it.
filage
post Oct 20 2019, 09:00 AM

Regular
1,205 posts

Today in 2019, Streamyx recommended to use PPPOA ot PPPOE?
Anime4000
post Oct 20 2019, 10:44 PM

Regular
1,917 posts

QUOTE(filage @ Oct 20 2019, 09:00 AM)
Today in 2019, Streamyx recommended to use PPPOA ot PPPOE?
TM switch to IP-DSLAM, which mean PPPoE only.

long time ago, I can use PPPoA (before TM upgrade to IP-DSLAM)
reason I use PPPoA because MTU size in pure 1500 bytes, rare disconnect

Even Fiber internet still use PPPoE, mean of Authentication,
make MTU size reduced to 1492 bytes (bigger overhead = bad), ISP need to stop using PPPoE on Fiber, very bad design
filage
post Oct 21 2019, 09:26 AM

Regular
1,205 posts

QUOTE(Anime4000 @ Oct 20 2019, 10:44 PM)
TM switch to IP-DSLAM, which mean PPPoE only.

long time ago, I can use PPPoA (before TM upgrade to IP-DSLAM)
reason I use PPPoA because MTU size in pure 1500 bytes, rare disconnect

Even Fiber internet still use PPPoE, mean of Authentication,
make MTU size reduced to 1492 bytes (bigger overhead = bad), ISP need to stop using PPPoE on Fiber, very bad design
Strangely my modem could use PPPOE or PPPOA, both works. Should I choose PPPOA then? Both connects OK and able to use Internet.

This post has been edited by filage: Oct 21 2019, 09:27 AM
Anime4000
post Oct 21 2019, 02:42 PM

Regular
1,917 posts

QUOTE(filage @ Oct 21 2019, 09:26 AM)
Strangely my modem could use PPPOE or PPPOA, both works. Should I choose PPPOA then? Both connects OK and able to use Internet.
use PPPoA, stable and pure 1500 MTU size

3 Pages < 1 2 3Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0176sec    0.54    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:11 PM