Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Jobstreet code challenge, anyone going?

views

angch
post Aug 20 2015, 11:49 AM

On my way
635 posts

QUOTE(CsAtlantis @ Aug 20 2015, 11:12 AM)
There was one problem where it was going oh so well for meuntil after test case 13 (14-20 all got time exceeded limit  cry.gif )
Which problem was that? Hmmm, writing test case generators for those problems might be interesting.
CsAtlantis
post Aug 20 2015, 12:56 PM

16 posts

QUOTE(angch @ Aug 20 2015, 11:49 AM)
Which problem was that? Hmmm, writing test case generators for those problems might be interesting.
I think it was problem 4..........they had a memory limit of 15MB i think and a execution time limit of (can't recall now, was either 0.5s or 1s)

Most likely because I was doing it in C++ I had too many loops during the later, more complicated test cases

This post has been edited by CsAtlantis: Aug 20 2015, 12:58 PM
angch
post Aug 20 2015, 06:02 PM

On my way
635 posts

QUOTE(CsAtlantis @ Aug 20 2015, 12:56 PM)
I think it was problem 4..........they had a memory limit of 15MB i think and a execution time limit of (can't recall now, was either 0.5s or 1s)

Most likely because I was doing it in C++ I had too many loops during the later, more complicated test cases
1s is a crazy time limit, esp. for python. The maximal test case for 4 (water disruption?) took nearly a minute for me, including random (static seeded) cost map. Good learning experience though, finding the bottlenecks. I knew string concat is slow, but yikes, it's *slow* in Go. Also surprisingly I used a map (dict) of int to int, and that was costly. Ditto the perl way of using regexp to parse data. Stupid habits die hard.

Managed to make it much, much faster though. Too bad code is twice as hard to read now.

CsAtlantis
post Aug 21 2015, 08:38 AM

16 posts

QUOTE(angch @ Aug 20 2015, 06:02 PM)
1s is a crazy time limit, esp. for python. The maximal test case for 4 (water disruption?) took nearly a minute for me, including random (static seeded) cost map. Good learning experience though, finding the bottlenecks. I knew string concat is slow, but yikes, it's *slow* in Go. Also surprisingly I used a map (dict) of int to int, and that was costly. Ditto the perl way of using regexp to parse data. Stupid habits die hard.

Managed to make it much, much faster though. Too bad code is twice as hard to read now.
Yeah problem number 4 was not solved completely by any of the contestants, the maximum score was 70% if I recall correctly

Regarding the time limit I really can't remember....might have been a bit longer though but definitely less than 20 seconds rclxm9.gif
TheSolver
post Aug 21 2015, 10:39 AM

Regular
1,108 posts

I didn't participate in the contest in the beginning and just got the questions posted here a few days ago so I can't tell much about anything. I'll try to complete the C language counterpart of the Question 1 and post it here. It's sure is not as elegant as I would like to but it'll certainly do its job to be efficient and other desirable effects.

Now, first let's see how to squeeze in my schedule (happens to be a busy time of the year)? hmm.gif
angch
post Aug 21 2015, 10:36 PM

On my way
635 posts

QUOTE(CsAtlantis @ Aug 21 2015, 08:38 AM)
Yeah problem number 4 was not solved completely by any of the contestants, the maximum score was 70% if I recall correctly

Regarding the time limit I really can't remember....might have been a bit longer though but definitely less than 20 seconds  rclxm9.gif
My Cell tower solution was using a stupid naive way. Tightened it up, now runs 2000x2000 distance/radius 50 to around 5 seconds from about a minute, including generation of the random map. Crammed stuff int16 instead of int32 to bring ram usage down to about 22MB including input string.

https://gist.github.com/angch/e321743f633e8855acde

Revised my water disruption solution as well. Just because. Making it solve about 20 maximum size problems in less than 6 seconds.

https://gist.github.com/angch/d3b75ebcccdd58868e1e

'twas fun. Learned lots of fun pprof stuff on the way. Much better than codegolfing.

3 Pages < 1 2 3Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0163sec    0.37    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:52 AM