Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Studying in University of Waterloo, I am a STPM student and need help

views

TSHuntingS
post Apr 18 2015, 10:38 AM, updated 9y ago

12 posts

Hey guys, I'm a 2014 STPM student currently struggling don't know what to study. But I'm interested in Actuarial Science. So I searched up "best university to study AS" and I came across this result, WATERLOO. So, the problem is that I'm from a not so rich family, in fact, average and a single family. Is there seniors that took STPM that went there to study that can provide me answers with my questions? Or tell me what it is that is needed for me to study in university of waterloo.

1) How to apply to study in University of Waterloo?
2) Do they accept MUET?
3) My cgpa for STPM is 3.58, am i eligible to study in Waterloo? Will they accept me?
4) Is there any study loan/scholarship that I can definitely get to fund my studies in Waterloo with my cgpa of 3.58
5) I have to pay for application fee, but it's not a sure if I will get accepted or not right?
6) Is it true that JPA loan could be free if you get a good result?

Please help me with my questions, or tell me what should I know to study in Waterloo. Your answers could change a student's future completely.

Thanks in advance for answering my questions. Please help me.
CyberSetan
post Apr 18 2015, 10:58 AM

-KNowLEdGe BRiNGs FEaR-
2,481 posts

Why don't you call/contact them directly?
Slim chance that you are going to find anyone here able to answer those.
TSHuntingS
post Apr 18 2015, 11:24 AM

12 posts

QUOTE(CyberSetan @ Apr 18 2015, 10:58 AM)
Why don't you call/contact them directly?
Slim chance that you are going to find anyone here able to answer those.
Yeah, but I'd like to hear from people with these type of experience. Thanks for reading my post anyway smile.gif
khairy4pm
post Apr 18 2015, 11:35 AM

Getting Started
57 posts

Is this located in Canada? Why actuarial / mathematics?
limeuu
post Apr 18 2015, 12:26 PM

10k Club
All Stars
11,923 posts

you would choose a uni based on a search for 'best' uni for a course...?
TSHuntingS
post Apr 18 2015, 12:58 PM

12 posts

QUOTE(khairy4pm @ Apr 18 2015, 11:35 AM)
Is this located in Canada?  Why actuarial / mathematics?
Yes khairy, it's located in canada. Erm... Because out of the 4 subjects I took in STPM, I had the most interest in mathematics. Yea~
TSHuntingS
post Apr 18 2015, 12:59 PM

12 posts

QUOTE(limeuu @ Apr 18 2015, 12:26 PM)
you would choose a uni based on a search for 'best' uni for a course...?
Just trying out my luck :/ of course anyone would want the best right? haha. but of course I'm just doing research about it now.
segamatboy
post Apr 18 2015, 04:57 PM

On my way
637 posts

In plain simple English......NO

QUOTE(HuntingS @ Apr 18 2015, 10:38 AM)

2) Do they accept MUET?
dottedlines
post Apr 18 2015, 05:08 PM

18 posts

1) How to apply to study in University of Waterloo? - Go to uwaterloo.ca to find out how to apply. If im not wrong you have to apply earlier/before dateline (before sitting for last sem of stpm)

2) Do they accept MUET?
-They accept SPM English so no worries.

3) My cgpa for STPM is 3.58, am i eligible to study in Waterloo? Will they accept me?
- YES. Definitely yes. Minimum requirement for them is 3.20, but depends whether Actuarial Science's requirement is higher ot not.

4) Is there any study loan/scholarship that I can definitely get to fund my studies in Waterloo with my cgpa of 3.58
- You have to apply for it. Check out their web site.

5) I have to pay for application fee, but it's not a sure if I will get accepted or not right?
- Correct.

- Thats only scholarship for students who completed their SPM if im not wrong. Not sure bout this.  

Anyways, studying Actuarial Science is tough. But if you manage it, you will be successful one day. I'm also interested to study abroad in Canada. I too have a family there in Canada. I will be going in September 2016. I will be applying for UoW and Wilfrid Laurier smile.gif  
guy3288
post Apr 18 2015, 05:10 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,397 posts

Financial constraint, result so so, i suggest you avoid searching for the best Uni.
So many places you can study actuarial sc, do you know the degree itself does not make you a professional/qualified actuary? There are some 10 professional exams to go through after you completed your 4 year course.

Search for Actuarial Sc in here you will find out.
TSHuntingS
post Apr 18 2015, 11:16 PM

12 posts

QUOTE(dottedlines @ Apr 18 2015, 05:08 PM)
 1) How to apply to study in University of Waterloo? - Go to uwaterloo.ca to find out how to apply. If im not wrong you have to apply earlier/before dateline (before sitting for last sem of stpm)

2) Do they accept MUET?
-They accept SPM English so no worries.

- YES. Definitely yes. Minimum requirement for them is 3.20, but depends whether Actuarial Science's requirement is higher ot not.

- You have to apply for it. Check out their web site.

- Correct.

- Thats only scholarship for students who completed their SPM if im not wrong. Not sure bout this.  

Anyways, studying Actuarial Science is tough. But if you manage it, you will be successful one day. I'm also interested to study abroad in Canada. I too have a family there in Canada. I will be going in September 2016. I will be applying for UoW and Wilfrid Laurier smile.gif  
Hi dottedlines! Thanks a lot for replying to my questions! REALLY THANKS A LOT! Am glad someone really did answered my questions. Are you too trying to give a shot at Actuarial Science? Haha
TSHuntingS
post Apr 18 2015, 11:18 PM

12 posts

QUOTE(guy3288 @ Apr 18 2015, 05:10 PM)
Financial constraint, result so so, i suggest you avoid searching for the best Uni.
So many places you can study actuarial sc, do you know the degree itself does not make you  a professional/qualified actuary? There are some 10 professional exams to go through after you completed your 4 year course.

Search for Actuarial Sc in here you  will find out.
Yea... I think so too but I heard people saying that if you wanna do Actuarial Science, and be successful in it, it's best if you do it abroad, in Malaysia, erm.... DOT DOT DOT. Well... haha, I searched for the best because I don't know where to start. But thanks anyway for replying to my post! biggrin.gif
dottedlines
post Apr 18 2015, 11:20 PM

18 posts

QUOTE(HuntingS @ Apr 18 2015, 11:16 PM)
Hi dottedlines! Thanks a lot for replying to my questions! REALLY THANKS A LOT! Am glad someone really did answered my questions. Are you too trying to give a shot at Actuarial Science? Haha
I din really help much tho :3 have to do more research if youre going smile.gif I want to do Econs! wink.gif
TSHuntingS
post Apr 19 2015, 12:21 AM

12 posts

QUOTE(dottedlines @ Apr 18 2015, 11:20 PM)
I din really help much tho :3 have to do more research if youre going smile.gif I want to do Econs! wink.gif
BEST OF LUCK! Haha, so what are you doing now? Yeah.. the research part is the toughest :/
dottedlines
post Apr 19 2015, 10:47 AM

18 posts

QUOTE(HuntingS @ Apr 19 2015, 12:21 AM)
BEST OF LUCK! Haha, so what are you doing now? Yeah.. the research part is the toughest :/
Do you have FB or anything that we can chat privately? Haha I can share some research :>

TSHuntingS
post Apr 19 2015, 11:12 AM

12 posts

QUOTE(dottedlines @ Apr 19 2015, 10:47 AM)
Do you have FB or anything that we can chat privately? Haha I can share some research :>
Yeah DEFINITELY! Can you pm me your fb or email or something?

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0138sec    0.28    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:42 PM