> Smart Home, Let's discuss

views

ozak
post Jan 18 2018, 05:19 PM

10k Club
All Stars
16,546 posts

QUOTE(idoblu @ Jan 18 2018, 11:27 AM)
OH I see !, shit. liddat how? I think only way is to rewire my ceiling lights to all same phase  bangwall.gif
Can rewire at the CB side?

Or to have an external switch with a box outside my regular wall switches - fugly lor  doh.gif
I think don’t mess your dB wiring. And it is not std and good procedure.

2 way you can do.

1) put anaothet aqara switch for the yellow wire. Separate switch. Kaotim.

2) check the yellow light wiring and isolate it from the rest wire. Cannot have loop to other phase wire. Than able to wire to red wire. Included the neutral also.
idoblu
post Jan 18 2018, 05:44 PM

stars for sale
All Stars
11,308 posts

QUOTE(ozak @ Jan 18 2018, 05:19 PM)
I think don’t mess your dB wiring. And it is not std and good procedure.

2 way you can do.

1) put anaothet aqara switch for the yellow wire. Separate switch. Kaotim.

2) check the yellow light wiring and isolate it from the rest wire. Cannot have loop to other phase wire. Than able to wire to red wire. Included the neutral also.
1. I think rewiring at the DB end would be cleanest. If I’m not mistaken I only need to switch the Red Neutral with the Yellow Neutral (depending on which Live phase I use)

2. Or Xiaomi suddenly makes a three gang switch. This would solve all my problems

3. Or like you said, separate switch but since there is no more lobang, have to use external box. My boss sure won’t approve so ugly

Zot
post Jan 18 2018, 08:04 PM

Look at all my stars!!
7,592 posts

QUOTE(idoblu @ Jan 18 2018, 05:44 PM)
1. I think rewiring at the DB end would be cleanest. If I’m not mistaken I only need to switch the Red Neutral with the Yellow Neutral (depending on which Live phase I use)

2. Or Xiaomi suddenly makes a three gang switch. This would solve all my problems

3. Or like you said, separate switch but since there is no more lobang, have to use external box. My boss sure won’t approve so ugly
How would you rewire if the wire is embedded in wall? YOu can rewire in the DB but you will have different phase color in another phase group. Will cause confusion for electrician in future.

I think any ganged switch would have 1 common Live input. So, would not solve the problem

Enlarge the hole for another wall switch wouldn't be hard I think. It will look as nice but will have a look of two separate switch

I think there is a way you solve the problem. I'm refering back to the original wiring that you provided:

Attached Image

As you can see from left to right:

1) Red wire to bulb
2) Red wire L coupled for looping
3) Yellow Wire to bulb
4) Yellow wire L coupled for looping

I use different color to denote different phases (orange more visible than yellow smile.gif )

So, you just chose to use the Red or Yellow phase. Then connect the Red lamp and Yellow lamp to the switch (L1 and L2 if not mistaken). Then just joint the looping wire (either Red or Yellow) using connector by themselves.

This should work. No need to rewire anything. This is what I meant (not sure if your switch is like this. I didn't have one biggrin.gif )

Attached Image

This post has been edited by Zot: Jan 19 2018, 08:22 AM
ozak
post Jan 18 2018, 11:14 PM

10k Club
All Stars
16,546 posts

QUOTE(idoblu @ Jan 18 2018, 05:44 PM)

1) you mean loop a red wire into the yellow mcb ? But out going from mcb will be yellow wire. It is a confuse wiring and future. And the yellow neutral looping still have to trace and isolated.

3. Hack the wall another hole beside lor. Than all switch flush same height. Time to take out your rotary drill liau.
idoblu
post Jan 19 2018, 08:39 AM

stars for sale
All Stars
11,308 posts

QUOTE(Zot @ Jan 18 2018, 08:04 PM)
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

As you can see from left to right:

1) Red wire to bulb
2) Red wire L coupled for looping
3) Yellow Wire to bulb
4) Yellow wire L coupled for looping

I use different color to denote different phases (orange more visible than yellow  smile.gif )

So, you just chose to use the Red or Yellow phase. Then connect the Red lamp and Yellow lamp to the switch (L1 and L2 if not mistaken). Then just joint the looping wire (either Red or Yellow) using connector by themselves.

This should work. No need to rewire anything.
Yes I already joined the looping wire but which will you use for the inputs to Aqara L terminal? Either one will trip because you have one Yellow L1 going to lamp and another Red L2 going to another lamp.

QUOTE(ozak @ Jan 18 2018, 11:14 PM)
1) you mean loop a red wire into the yellow mcb ? But out going from mcb will be yellow wire. It is a confuse wiring and future. And the yellow neutral looping still have to trace and isolated.

3. Hack the wall another hole beside lor. Than all switch flush same height. Time to take out your rotary drill liau.
I think no need swap the two Live wires from MCB. Both Red and Yellow Live remain as they are because I would use only one - example, I use only Yellow Live as the input for the Aqara switch end. What needs to be change is the Neutral. Need to swap one of the Neutral going to that lamp. Need to find that Red return wire. Correct me if I am wrong

Please see my two pictures - before and after
I dont have Yellow pen so I use Blue

Original Position
Attached Image

Swap Position
Attached Image

This post has been edited by idoblu: Jan 19 2018, 08:41 AM
Zot
post Jan 19 2018, 09:23 AM

Look at all my stars!!
7,592 posts

QUOTE(idoblu @ Jan 19 2018, 08:39 AM)
Yes I already joined the looping wire but which will you use for the inputs to Aqara L terminal? Either one will trip because you have one Yellow L1 going to lamp and another Red L2 going to another lamp.
I think no need swap the two Live wires from MCB. Both Red and Yellow Live remain as they are because I would use only one - example, I use only Yellow Live as the input for the Aqara switch end. What needs to be change is the Neutral. Need to swap one of the Neutral going to that lamp. Need to find that Red return wire. Correct me if I am wrong

Please see my two pictures - before and after
I dont have Yellow pen so I use Blue
Original Position
Attached Image

Swap Position
Attached Image
As far as I know the Neutral line is common to all 3 phases. House wiring is Y connection. So, not sure why you have separate N for different phase.

Attached Image
ape
post Jan 19 2018, 09:33 AM

Enthusiast
849 posts

I just received my "Ilook" digital lockset from taobao, can i know the installation of the lockset can be done by normal locksmith or need to engage the special digital lock installer? thanks
idoblu
post Jan 19 2018, 09:51 AM

stars for sale
All Stars
11,308 posts

QUOTE(Zot @ Jan 19 2018, 09:23 AM)
As far as I know the Neutral line is common to all 3 phases. House wiring is Y connection. So, not sure why you have separate N for different phase.

I dunno about how all these electrical works. I only based my drawings by logical assumptions because ozak says using two different phases will cause it to trip. Since I only use either Red Live or Yellow Live, I am only using one phase. The other end of the circuit goes to the two lamps - so it must have different Neutrals for different phases
Zot
post Jan 19 2018, 10:03 AM

Look at all my stars!!
7,592 posts

QUOTE(idoblu @ Jan 19 2018, 09:51 AM)
I dunno about how all these electrical works. I only based my drawings by logical assumptions because ozak says using two different phases will cause it to trip. Since I only use either Red Live or Yellow Live, I am only using one phase. The other end of the circuit goes to the two lamps - so it must have different Neutrals for different phases
Your 2nd drawing (after) is like what I mentioned. It should not trip anything. I wonder if you did not mix up the yellow/red wire to the bulb with the L wire. If you did, it will trip the CB.
idoblu
post Jan 19 2018, 10:08 AM

stars for sale
All Stars
11,308 posts

QUOTE(Zot @ Jan 19 2018, 10:03 AM)
Your 2nd drawing (after) is like what I mentioned. It should not trip anything. I wonder if you did not mix up the yellow/red wire to the bulb with the L wire. If you did, it will trip the CB.
the second drawing - i didnt try that. I only drew it this morning.

Here is what I tried yesterday - it trips the elcb
Attached Image

This post has been edited by idoblu: Jan 19 2018, 10:09 AM
Zot
post Jan 19 2018, 10:37 AM

Look at all my stars!!
7,592 posts

QUOTE(idoblu @ Jan 19 2018, 10:08 AM)

Attached Image
If the N is common to all phases, then both drawing are basically the same. I'm wondering if you mixed up the looping wire and the wire to the bulb.

Anyway, the CB tripped when you switched on L1 or L2 or either one?
simatsai
post Jan 19 2018, 11:10 AM

8 posts

When it trip the ELCB, does it trip just 1 phase all all phases? If only 1 phase tripped, I think you can’t mix the neutral.
idoblu
post Jan 19 2018, 11:43 AM

stars for sale
All Stars
11,308 posts

QUOTE(simatsai @ Jan 19 2018, 11:10 AM)
When it trip the ELCB, does it trip just 1 phase all all phases?  If only 1 phase tripped, I think you can’t mix the neutral.
good question. now come to think of it, i think it doesnt trip any of the 3 phases
it only trips the change over circuit....that goes to the gen set
idoblu
post Jan 19 2018, 11:47 AM

stars for sale
All Stars
11,308 posts

QUOTE(Zot @ Jan 19 2018, 10:37 AM)
If the N is common to all phases, then both drawing are basically the same. I'm wondering if you mixed up the looping wire and the wire to the bulb.

dun think i mixed up, cause i would do one at a time
the Live wires have two wires because it loops to somewhere else
the load wire - just one and they are different color

The CB didnt trip, the ELCB tripped. And that ELCB only switches off the Red
Yes trips if I turn on either L1 or L2. If Red Live is connected, it would trip if there is a Yellow Lamp wire. If Yellow Live is connected, it would trip if there is a Red lamp wire

Btw now i realized there are two Reds....The Red Phase and this "special" Red....lol

This post has been edited by idoblu: Jan 19 2018, 12:52 PM
idoblu
post Jan 19 2018, 01:02 PM

stars for sale
All Stars
11,308 posts

Installed one Aqara today. Started at 10.30am, now about 12.30pm only sau kung..... biggrin.gif
Really suck at DIY. If tar kung, sure kena fired in a minute.... laugh.gif

It replaces a two way switch. On paper already figure how to do but after bukak the existing switch, see all these wires then confused liao
Attached Image

Lucky the other end much less wires to figure out. I intend to remove this secondary 2-way switch and just hardwired it. Later I will add one wireless switch to this location so I still get two way controls
Attached Image

One thing I noticed on every wall switch and power socket - all the wires are badly stripped. Lets say supposed to have 12 strands of copper become like 3-4 strands left only....WTF. Our electrician so char. No wire stripper also can do nicely ma doh.gif

This post has been edited by idoblu: Jan 19 2018, 01:19 PM
Zot
post Jan 19 2018, 02:42 PM

Look at all my stars!!
7,592 posts

QUOTE(idoblu @ Jan 19 2018, 01:02 PM)
Installed one Aqara today. Started at 10.30am, now about 12.30pm only sau kung..... biggrin.gif
Really suck at DIY. If tar kung, sure kena fired in a minute.... laugh.gif

It replaces a two way switch. On paper already figure how to do but after bukak the existing switch, see all these wires then confused liao
Attached Image

Lucky the other end much less wires to figure out. I intend to remove this secondary 2-way switch and just hardwired it. Later I will add one wireless switch to this location so I still get two way controls
Attached Image

One thing I noticed on every wall switch and power socket - all the wires are badly stripped. Lets say supposed to have 12 strands of copper become like 3-4 strands left only....WTF. Our electrician so char. No wire stripper also can do nicely ma doh.gif
We are not expert and hardly do these thing. So, it will take longer time but good or bad, you have satisfaction doing it because you know you do it as careful as possible. smile.gif

It is not really badly stripped. When they need to loop bigger wire you need to twist two wires together. The size is normally not double but bigger than two wires diameter. So, the easy way is to remove as many strand to easily fit the connector hole. Therefore, forget about your 2.5mm 4mm wire load laugh.gif
idoblu
post Jan 19 2018, 05:22 PM

stars for sale
All Stars
11,308 posts

I have decided to use a separate single gang Aqara switch mounted on a box. Try to make it look nice - i do have some ideas. I will pull 3 wires from the existing switch - dunno got space to squeeze out or not or will it sit nicely, etc.

Hacking a new lobang is out of the question as it wont be easy making a perfectly square hole out of a concrete wall. It will be a complete mess. That time, if my boss wont kill me, also I will kill myself.

And if Xiaomi should ever come out with a 3 gang switch, then I will change it again.

This post has been edited by idoblu: Jan 19 2018, 05:23 PM
paskal
post Jan 19 2018, 06:52 PM

armchair commando couch potato
2,796 posts

QUOTE(Zot @ Jan 18 2018, 08:04 PM)
This should work. No need to rewire anything. This is what I meant (not sure if your switch is like this. I didn't have one  biggrin.gif )

user posted image
it will not work.
neutral will still be unbalanced when the yellow circuit is turned on because current sourced from red through red RCB but returned to yellow phase without through the red rcb.

QUOTE(Zot @ Jan 19 2018, 09:23 AM)

Attached Image
because he has a secondary RCB just for the red phase. or just for that red circuit. deswai it trips when he connect L1 and L2 to different phase. because of neutral imbalance.

QUOTE(Zot @ Jan 19 2018, 10:37 AM)

N can be separated for an isolated, dedicated circuit with dedicated RCB just to monitor that particular circuit.
before being joined at the common N busbar and monitored by a primary RCB.

Attached Image
user posted image
paskal
post Jan 19 2018, 07:00 PM

armchair commando couch potato
2,796 posts

Attached Image
user posted image
since you know which neutral the line is returning to, change the live to the red phase together with the neutral. you get RCB protection to both circuit.

this will work if the blue line neutral is not shared / tumpang with some other blue neutral line.
idoblu
post Jan 19 2018, 07:44 PM

stars for sale
All Stars
11,308 posts

QUOTE(paskal @ Jan 19 2018, 07:00 PM)
user posted image
since you know which neutral the line is returning to, change the live to the red phase together with the neutral. you get RCB protection to both circuit.

this will work if the blue line neutral is not shared / tumpang with some other blue neutral line.
Thank you thank you....tonight go back slowly digest see I can understand or not... rclxms.gif rclxm9.gif

625 Pages « < 91 92 93 94 95 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0166sec    0.46    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:57 PM