Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Retreat/Time share Ideas, - ways to raise fund to build my retreat

views

TSlainux
post Apr 10 2015, 12:23 PM, updated 8y ago

On my way
650 posts

It has been my dream to own an orchard retreat which I can retire to later. After searching for 10 years, I finally bought my land at Kampung Tras. It is an OK size land with a crystal clear stream running through & a forest reserved at the back of the hill. It is a durian orchard with many old trees. So, it fits my dream well.

All this while I have wanted to build it myself without opening to others. So, my idea is to build small & slow. One day, during a dinner discussion with friends, someone suggested why not do a time sharing thing for my orchard. Then others with similar interest could invest also. I didn't take it quite seriously then, cause with external money, comes the extra opinions. i want it to be completely mine.

Came back from a ChiangMai family getaway 2 weeks ago. My wife & sister came up with the similar ideas too, but not time sharing. It is something different. They suggested that each family member can invest and build a small cabin on the land, and call it theirs. I can then operate the cabins & generate income to run the retreat. We stayed in a boutique resort on the outskirt, which is similar to what I want in the future, but not as developed as a resort.

Their idea got me into thinking. So, I am discussing this here, hopefully I can get more valuable inputs from you:

My Idea:
1) let someone with similar interest to invest. I will come up with few cabin designs that I want to build, you can choose which you want, you may also make your suggestion. i am thinking investment should be RM60k-200k onwards.

2) with your investment, you get to stay for free of 24 days a year in your cabin. Of course, you may choose to stay at other cabins, but will have to pay at a discounted price?

3) you agree to let me rent your cabin out for profit, I will then share the profit with you. Currently I am thinking of paying 20% of rental. My target rental should start from RM150/night.

4) guarantee buy back at original price after 5 years.

5) no maintenance fee (should I be charging?) no other fees(no land rental)

What do you think? What else should I be worried about? Any feedback is welcome.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
TSlainux
post Apr 21 2015, 09:27 AM

On my way
650 posts

No one is interested to pitch in any idea or feedback?
Musikl
post Apr 21 2015, 10:44 AM

Getting Started
265 posts

Hey, my mom whos running a resort uses this concept. Maybe you would want to seek some advice from her if you're really keen. Maybe spend some time at the resort.
TSlainux
post Apr 21 2015, 01:57 PM

On my way
650 posts

QUOTE(Musikl @ Apr 21 2015, 10:44 AM)
Hey, my mom whos running a resort uses this concept. Maybe you would want to seek some advice from her if you're really keen. Maybe spend some time at the resort.
Do you mind to PM me your mom's contact or your mom's resort's website?
johnnyzai89
post Apr 21 2015, 04:11 PM

Regular
1,444 posts

not worried about the hot weather in Malaysia?
TSlainux
post Apr 21 2015, 05:08 PM

On my way
650 posts

QUOTE(10996455 @ Apr 21 2015, 04:56 PM)
Lol not worried about the durian fall down hit the customer ??
Of course you look for locations without durian trees.

Will need to think of a way to prevent this issue.
TSlainux
post Jul 3 2016, 11:54 PM

On my way
650 posts

QUOTE(johnnyzai89 @ Apr 21 2015, 04:11 PM)
not worried about the hot weather in Malaysia?
It is actually not hot if you are under shade. It is quite cold at night too, no ac needed.
NightHeart
post Jul 4 2016, 09:34 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,988 posts

QUOTE(lainux @ Jul 3 2016, 11:54 PM)
It is actually not hot if you are under shade.  It is quite cold at night too, no ac needed.
It's been a year already, how's your orchard retreat?
TSlainux
post Jul 5 2016, 07:19 PM

On my way
650 posts

QUOTE(NightHeart @ Jul 4 2016, 09:34 AM)
It's been a year already, how's your orchard retreat?
Just started accepting booking last month. Will need to write some proposal soon.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/13046218

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/13159148

Come stay a night or two and invest in my project! rclxms.gif rclxms.gif
NightHeart
post Jul 5 2016, 09:21 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,988 posts

QUOTE(lainux @ Jul 5 2016, 07:19 PM)
Just started accepting booking last month.  Will need to write some proposal soon.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/13046218

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/13159148

Come stay a night or two and invest in my project!  rclxms.gif  rclxms.gif
Wah Raub, quite a distance to travel but that pod looks really interesting. I'm not a durian person, so this would probably be like a camping site for me laugh.gif

Great that you managed to kickstart this project!

Anyway I'm not trying to be an arse, but your description

"A great place to chill & calm relax. Get away from the city's stress and noise, get back to nature, enjoy birds' chirping, insects' calling and wild lives wildlife. Immerse yourself in green & fresh air. Be lazy & dip in the river. BBQ, star gazing & fireflies watching at night"

It's not the best though, probably someone else could do better so that it'll look more professional laugh.gif

TSlainux
post Jul 5 2016, 11:34 PM

On my way
650 posts

QUOTE(NightHeart @ Jul 5 2016, 09:21 PM)
Wah Raub, quite a distance to travel but that pod looks really interesting. I'm not a durian person, so this would probably be like a camping site for me  laugh.gif

Great that you managed to kickstart this project!

Anyway I'm not trying to be an arse, but your description

"A great place to chill & calm relax. Get away from the city's stress and noise, get back to nature, enjoy birds' chirping, insects' calling and wild lives wildlife. Immerse yourself in green & fresh air. Be lazy & dip in the river. BBQ, star gazing & fireflies watching at night"

It's not the best though, probably someone else could do better so that it'll look more professional laugh.gif
You are an arse... devil.gif devil.gif

Write me better description!

I am using the place to try to build different type of housing. So, it is my experiment lab.

Seriously come and camp!

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0171sec    0.30    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:32 PM