Bump TopicReply to this topicRSS feed Start new topic Start Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Smoking in public, Malaysians think it's their right

zamorin
post Jan 14 2019, 09:31 PM

Resident Carouser
Group: Senior Member

QUOTE(ramz @ Jan 14 2019, 09:28 PM)
When I said clean air, I referring to cigarette smoke in air, specificly restaurant air coz that is the scope of the ban. The topic of our discussion is about smoking. If u want to talk about other pollution please open another thread. You can propose your ban on driving there.
I was responding to that. Clean air is not the reason for the smoking ban. I wasn't proposing a driving ban.

This post has been edited by zamorin: Jan 14 2019, 09:33 PM
Shavon Lim
post Jan 15 2019, 02:31 PM

Getting Started
Group: Junior Member

QUOTE(ramz @ Apr 5 2015, 06:58 AM)
Typical family scenario i get on an ALMOST daily basis:
I go to kopitiam, foodcourt, mamak, indian coffee shop, etc. to makan with my children. Someone around me lights up a cigarette. My children's eyes start to tear, and suddenly their noses start to run. I tell them politely. I get reaction as follows:
1. Say nothing, like nothing happened. like its their right.
2. say sorry and put out cigarette, or move
3. say sorry and don't move. again, like its their right.
4. say sorry and ask us to move. again, like its their right.
What ever their answer, the issue will be resolved either by me moving, they putting out their cigarettes, or they moving. then few minutes later another smoker comes and i repeat the same above script again, and again, and again......and again.

I am very very very tired of this! I spend considerable family time just dealing with these issue, and i am really, really tired.

This is a message to you inconsiderate smokers: Smoking in public is not your right. Please be considerate and look around you before smoking. It doesn't matter if there are no kids. We non-smokers do not tolerate sitting near a smoke source while eating. I am sure at home you smokers don't sit around burning rubbish either while having your meal. That's the analogy we can give u smokers of how we feel.
I agreed, so heart pain talk with those smokers, especially old uncle in kopitiam, they tot kopitiam is their home... why we have to beg smokers and we get secondhand smoke... cry.gif
abubin
post Jan 15 2019, 03:23 PM

Look at all my stars!!

So far I have not seen a single enforcement officer doing the smoking round in restaurants. Maybe my timing is off but I feel it is just the lack of enforcement as usual with all rules that Malaysia implement. If it goes on like this I can assure you in 3 months, smoking will be back to normal.
lowya
post Jan 15 2019, 04:53 PM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(abubin @ Jan 15 2019, 03:23 PM)
So far I have not seen a single enforcement officer doing the smoking round in restaurants. Maybe my timing is off but I feel it is just the lack of enforcement as usual with all rules that Malaysia implement. If it goes on like this I can assure you in 3 months, smoking will be back to normal.
they are MP, know how to pass laws,

but don't know how to integrate all enforcement forces such as:

1. city council,
2. health department,
3. polis,
4. 3rd party contractors,
6. shop owner,
7. general public reward system

to make the laws they passed get enforced.

This post has been edited by lowya: Jan 15 2019, 04:54 PM
ViktorJ
post Jan 16 2019, 07:48 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(melvinlow85 @ Jan 16 2019, 04:51 PM)
in general.somking ban killed all mamak and resturant

They can follow Singapore to have a smoking table corner rather than total ban in mamak shop.It was implemented hasty with many loopholes.People cant smoke in mamak will eat out lesser meaning to say economy cant run locally............
Eh, really ka? Malaysian GDP and ekonomi merosot because x blh rokok?

Please write a paper on this. Am very keen on reading it.
ramz
post Jan 17 2019, 06:06 AM

Look at all my stars!!

They can follow Singapore to have a smoking table corner rather than total ban in mamak shop.It was implemented hasty with many loopholes.People cant smoke in mamak will eat out lesser meaning to say economy cant run locally............
Please show research paper on this opinion of yours. In any change, there is a valley of despair. That's inevitable. Once people get used to not smoking while eating, business will be back as normal. 5 years from now, they won't even remember the complains they made today.
Rebeccachong
post Jan 17 2019, 10:12 AM

QUOTE(ramz @ Apr 5 2015, 06:58 AM)
Typical family scenario i get on an ALMOST daily basis:
I go to kopitiam, foodcourt, mamak, indian coffee shop, etc. to makan with my children. Someone around me lights up a cigarette. My children's eyes start to tear, and suddenly their noses start to run. I tell them politely. I get reaction as follows:
1. Say nothing, like nothing happened. like its their right.
2. say sorry and put out cigarette, or move
3. say sorry and don't move. again, like its their right.
4. say sorry and ask us to move. again, like its their right.
What ever their answer, the issue will be resolved either by me moving, they putting out their cigarettes, or they moving. then few minutes later another smoker comes and i repeat the same above script again, and again, and again......and again.

I am very very very tired of this! I spend considerable family time just dealing with these issue, and i am really, really tired.

This is a message to you inconsiderate smokers: Smoking in public is not your right. Please be considerate and look around you before smoking. It doesn't matter if there are no kids. We non-smokers do not tolerate sitting near a smoke source while eating. I am sure at home you smokers don't sit around burning rubbish either while having your meal. That's the analogy we can give u smokers of how we feel.
Yea, smoking should be banned in public places. Smoke will disturbs other people.. especially non-smokers feeling.
Imagine sitting in a restaurant unable to enjoy the meal because of the smoke from neighbor's table.
ramz
post Jan 17 2019, 10:13 AM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(melvinlow85 @ Jan 17 2019, 09:57 AM)
what i mean is too hasty decision .you could have slowly change not suddenly.You can just go to the mamak shop in Kl and you can see fewer people compare to last time.Drop in sales mean what?Unless you dont go out daily sit home,whatever happen outside is not your problem.
What do you suggest to slowly change?
ramz
post Jan 17 2019, 12:00 PM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(melvinlow85 @ Jan 17 2019, 11:51 AM)
Yes i agree smoking public should be ban but they should have what people say smoking corner for people to smoke rather than total ban in a mamak shop.1 or 2 table at corner smoking box while other is not.

Last time food stall got 2 type customer but now only non smoker and it effect sales in general.Who doesn't have friend last time sit mamak lim kopi smoke cigg tcss?
I actually agree with this implementation. A clear smoking section with proper guideline to setup. It's up to restaurant to implement or not, but if they do they must follow the setup guideline.

But gomen lazy maybe.
davison
post Jan 17 2019, 12:04 PM

lowya
post Jan 17 2019, 01:04 PM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(melvinlow85 @ Jan 17 2019, 09:57 AM)
what i mean is too hasty decision .you could have slowly change not suddenly.You can just go to the mamak shop in Kl and you can see fewer people compare to last time.Drop in sales mean what?Unless you dont go out daily sit home,whatever happen outside is not your problem.
try talking about change with the group that can't quit.
eksk
post Jan 17 2019, 02:09 PM

Casual

QUOTE(abubin @ Jan 15 2019, 03:23 PM)
nope.. now is social media time.. everybody with a handphone can viral smokers... the main reason my friends abide by the 3 meter ruling is scared being made "stars" on social media.. just look at the 2 old fellas from taiping wanna be taiko.. the very next day suddenly apologise to minister..
Mea Culpa
post Jan 17 2019, 02:14 PM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(eksk @ Jan 17 2019, 02:09 PM)
nope.. now is social media time.. everybody with a handphone can viral smokers... the main reason my friends abide by the 3 meter ruling is scared being made "stars" on social media.. just look at the 2 old fellas from taiping wanna be taiko.. the very next day suddenly apologise to minister..
I saw some "clever" ones putting on dark sunglasess..
wilson1149
post Today, 11:17 AM

Getting Started

Guys,

I still can see many vaping in public / kopitiam, is it legal?

34 Pages « < 32 33 34Top
Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0987sec    5.04    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 23rd January 2019 - 04:09 PM