Bump Topic Topic Closed RSS Feed

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

No Drives found when installing OS on SSD - Solved, Need help please

views

TSStussy77
post Mar 31 2015, 04:55 PM, updated 9y ago

45 posts

Hi All Expert,
I’m kind of new in PC set-up, I’m trying to replace my HDD to SSD, so it can be SSD for start up (Primary), and normal HDD will be my secondary drive.

My PC info.
Processor: i7 CPU 965 @ 3.2GHz
Memory: 12280MB
Bios Version: 2101
MB : Rampage II Extreme with latest bios version

I’m unfamiliar with the MB stuff, but looking at the manual item #9 and #10? What is the correct port I should plug in? The below step, I plug my SSD at port item #10 (Black Sata).
I suspect is something to this? But unsure what…
user posted image

user posted image

What I have done:
-Format SSD – no help
-Reinstall/ update Bios– no help
-Try put my SSD in one of the red Sata port(Sata 1-Sata6). However when start up it doesn’t show the drive.
“JMicron Technology Corp.. PCI Express to SATA1 HOST Controller ROM v1.02
Copyright © 2005-2010. JMicron Technology Corp..
Detecting drives; Done, No Drives Found.”
But my SSD show in the red Sata port (Any port which I plug in). Again, when install OS, it shown no drive. – no help
user posted image

Here are my problem:
When I plug in SSD in black sata, Startup able to detect my SSD.
user posted image

However, when enter bios setup, it can’t detect in SATA. I’m not sure why, perhaps this is normal or perhaps I lack of computer knowledge. See picture. As you can see, it only can detect my CD-ROM.
user posted image

Then, as usual set boot device Priority to CD-ROM, once everything in place. When trying to install Window 7, it show “ No drives were found. Click Load Driver to provide a mass storage driver for installation”. I can’t find my SSD drive. See pic.
user posted image

When click “Drive Options (advance) It show got folder C:New Volume, which I believe is my SSD drive. But it not allows me to click OK.
user posted image

user posted image

May I know what wrongs?
What are the different between Black Sata #10 and Red Sata #9?
user posted image

I assume it must be something’s which I need to do in bios, but I don’t know what was it.
For all those guru, please help me.
I just want my SSD to be primary and Sata HDD to be secondary.

This post has been edited by Stussy77: Apr 1 2015, 06:12 AM
horns
post Mar 31 2015, 05:50 PM

\m/
3,036 posts

based on the images above the right ports should be intel ports. try connect to sata1. for storage configuration, check if it's set to ahci. apparently you are using jmicron controller now.
Jon Ravenlocke
post Mar 31 2015, 05:53 PM

Getting Started
90 posts

The #9 are normal SATA and also where you can set up your RAIDs, based on the pics, while the black #10 is eSATA or probably SATA-on-the-go.

My suggestion for your issue is this, when the "no drives" window comes up, click "load drivers" and load SATA drivers up. To get the SATA drivers, try this link http://www.asus.com/ROG_ROG/RAMPAGE_II_EXT...pDesk_Download/

and get the SATA drivers from there based on your Windows, and toss it into a USB disk, point it there during install and see how it goes.
1024kbps
post Mar 31 2015, 06:08 PM

李素裳
5,780 posts

Another thing is, make sure you don't have any USB peripheral connected when installing, except the essential one.
Windows 7 had one problem iirc, if your USB port require third party driver, and the USB ports are plugged.
Windows 7 will refuse to install no matter what unless you remove all the USB peripherals connected to your computer.
TSStussy77
post Mar 31 2015, 09:01 PM

45 posts

QUOTE(horns @ Mar 31 2015, 06:50 PM)
based on the images above the right ports should be intel ports. try connect to sata1. for storage configuration, check if it's set to ahci. apparently you are using jmicron controller now.
Hi horns, try that.. but still give me the same error.

QUOTE(Jon Ravenlocke @ Mar 31 2015, 06:53 PM)
The #9 are normal SATA and also where you can set up your RAIDs, based on the pics, while the black #10 is eSATA or probably SATA-on-the-go.

My suggestion for your issue is this, when the "no drives" window comes up, click "load drivers" and load SATA drivers up. To get the SATA drivers, try this link http://www.asus.com/ROG_ROG/RAMPAGE_II_EXT...pDesk_Download/

and get the SATA drivers from there based on your Windows, and toss it into a USB disk, point it there during install and see how it goes.
Hi Jon, try your method as well, but no help.

QUOTE(1024kbps @ Mar 31 2015, 07:08 PM)
Another thing is, make sure you don't have any USB peripheral connected when installing, except the essential one.
Windows 7 had one problem iirc, if your USB port require third party driver, and the USB ports are plugged.
Windows 7 will refuse to install no matter what unless you remove all the USB peripherals connected to your computer.
Hi, check that, but no help.
-----------------------

All Thank you very much for trying to help. Appreciated it a lot... TQTQ

After long hours of search, I finally figure out what went wrong... I don't get what this person is telling me.. apparently his way works.
Can someone tell me in simply English?
"Occasionally, Windows setup can chuck a fit when it discovers a drive with an invalid MBR/boot sector and won't install to it."

Here are the link : http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows...815ce551?page=1

Credit goes to technocrate. I will just copy his comment here.

Does it show the SSD at all? I would check to see that it's indeed being picked up by the BIOS and if not, check the cables.
Occasionally, Windows setup can chuck a fit when it discovers a drive with an invalid MBR/boot sector and won't install to it. To fix this, you could try the following
1.Boot up Windows 7 disc.
2.When the welcome screen comes up on Windows Setup, press Shift + F10, which will display a command prompt.
3.Type "diskpart" (no quotes) and press enter.
4.Type "list disk" and press enter.
5.Hopefully you can see your SSD in the list. You should see a number identifying it. Now type "select disk X" (where X is the number identifying your SSD) and press enter.
6.Type "clean" and press enter. This will write a blank MBR, YOU WILL LOSE ANY DATA ON THE SSD if you did have anything on it.
Hopefully one of these tips helps :
)

I follow his step and it works. Finally i able to detect my SSD..

horns
post Mar 31 2015, 09:38 PM

\m/
3,036 posts

Wow a nice find. I didn't know w7 will refuse to install if there is an invalid boot sector lol! (Maybe because I usually use the same commands to clear everything on the target disk first before install)

Good to know you have solved the mystery smile.gif

Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0124sec    0.23    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:27 AM