Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Career Opportunities for a friend, Advice for a struggling Undergraduate

views

TSJY_626
post Mar 31 2015, 10:55 AM, updated 9y ago

28 posts

Hello all =)

As of late, I have a friend who has been struggling for a job but has hit numerous dead ends. I will try to be brief and list out the most problematic issues only, since honestly....he's in a very bad spot now. As in he might even have less than RM 100 left now. He just needs a job urgently.

So far, I've advised him to send out 3-4 resumes every week on jobstreet, but it does not seem to be working. I then advised him to find some freelance work (such as data entry clerk) in between, but the sad thing is that he can't even afford the security deposit (the sum imposed on him which will not be refundable in case he losses important data. And he also can't get any jobs there as a staff in stores/supermarkets around that area since all have been taken by students. Lastly, I advised him to consult his university for help like I did and he said that apparently his university hates him or something.

Anyways...any advice on several of these points will be greatly appreciated:

1. Are there any other sites other than jobstreet which is good? Or are there any tricks/methods to fully utilizing jobstreet for job searches
2. Are there any freelance work which is more flexible, or have no initial cost/desposit to get into?
3. Are there any form of work which he can do from home?
4. Is there anyone willing to take him in as a 'student'?

Additional information[I]- He has experience in doing administrative duties, but mostly he quite good in digital art especially in drawing character art/concepts. However, he only uses SAI to draw and has no prior photoshop skills. He's also living in quite a faraway place, which is in Bangi. He's always a very quiet guy, and feels awkward in social situations. Furthermore he has difficulty expressing himself in English (I don't think that his English is really bad, but obviously he has a very hard time expressing himself to strangers.)

If anyone knows a job opportunity which is right for him, or which can help him to improve his skill set then please recommend them. The only exception is unpaid internship I guess since he has expenses to pay and his family are complete idiots for not even bothering to lend him aid.

If anything is unclear, then please ask and I'll elaborate smile.gif
ArenarZ
post Mar 31 2015, 11:02 AM

Getting Started
239 posts

Upload his CV..maybe theres some prob with his cv..
DarkAeon
post Mar 31 2015, 11:17 AM

Enthusiast
751 posts

for many years i saw on the streets a blind couple playing musical instruments trying to earn a living whether rain or shine. for many years they did.

compare them with your friend here. from the looks of it, he is hungry enough to give excuses but not hungry enough to do something about it

that is as constructive as I can get
gulagulahacks
post Mar 31 2015, 12:10 PM

Getting Started
135 posts

QUOTE(JY_626 @ Mar 31 2015, 10:55 AM)
Hello all =)

As of late, I have a friend who has been struggling for a job but has hit numerous dead ends. I will try to be brief and list out the most problematic issues only, since honestly....he's in a very bad spot now. As in he might even have less than RM 100 left now. He just needs a job urgently.

So far, I've advised him to send out 3-4 resumes every week on jobstreet, but it does not seem to be working. I then advised him to find some freelance work (such as data entry clerk) in between, but the sad thing is that he can't even afford the security deposit (the sum imposed on him which will not be refundable in case he losses important data. And he also can't get any jobs there as a staff in stores/supermarkets around that area since all have been taken by students. Lastly, I advised him to consult his university for help like I did and he said that apparently his university hates him or something.

1. Are there any other sites other than jobstreet which is good? Or are there any tricks/methods to fully utilizing jobstreet for job searches
2. Are there any freelance work which is more flexible, or have no initial cost/desposit to get into?

Additional information[I]- He has experience in doing administrative duties, but mostly he quite good in digital art especially in drawing character art/concepts. However, he only uses SAI to draw and has no prior photoshop skills. He's also living in quite a faraway place, which is in Bangi. He's always a very quiet guy, and feels awkward in social situations. Furthermore he has difficulty expressing himself in English (I don't think that his English is really bad, but obviously he has a very hard time expressing himself to strangers.)

If anyone knows a job opportunity which is right for him, or which can help him to improve his skill set then please recommend them. The only exception is unpaid internship I guess since he has expenses to pay and his family are complete idiots for not even bothering to lend him aid.
my advice, he should leave his comfort zone.

always telling this to myself.
danny_rocker
post Mar 31 2015, 12:11 PM

Casual
323 posts

May I know how old is your friend?You can check the Job Enlistments section in the forum section of LYN. There are plenty of jobs out there, so he should keep on applying and not give up hope. Another way is through programs like GEMS(Graduate Employability Management Scheme) 2.0 or SL1M (Skim Latihan 1 Malaysia) if he meets the minimum requirements.
marsha1l
post Mar 31 2015, 12:46 PM

water-cooling PC enthusiast
1,041 posts

huskystarcraft is hiring freelance. try check it out.
ReWeR
post Mar 31 2015, 12:57 PM

Foreveralone
1,715 posts

Hello all =)

if only left rm100 now, better aim for retail/restaurant job, and also look for promoter job in supermarket that giving away free sample. a lot of restaurant provide free meal, which is good if you left rm100 only.

normal job will took weeks and months to finish the hiring process, so need to be patience on that.

no need to go for freelance and data entry job, a lot of them are scam jobs. probably some is not, but you don't want to get cheated at this moment.

try to move to some where near shopping complex, because shopping complex got a lot of promoter jobs and retail sales job and waiters job.

one of the easiest job to enter is call centre job, such as HSBC or OCBC in cyberjaya.

Belphegor
post Mar 31 2015, 04:41 PM

Dreamer
5,805 posts

Your friend got so sui anot? sweat.gif There are many retail jobs in many shopping malls. Public transport can be reach malls are KL central, Quill 7, KLCC. Try to ask your friend to look for jobs around there.

Best of luck! icon_rolleyes.gif
TSJY_626
post Mar 31 2015, 05:53 PM

28 posts

QUOTE(danny_rocker @ Mar 31 2015, 12:11 PM)
May I know how old is your friend?You can check the Job Enlistments section in the forum section of LYN. There are plenty of jobs out there, so he should keep on applying and not give up hope. Another way is through programs like GEMS(Graduate Employability Management Scheme)  2.0 or SL1M (Skim Latihan 1 Malaysia) if he meets the minimum requirements.
QUOTE(marsha1l @ Mar 31 2015, 12:46 PM)
huskystarcraft is hiring freelance. try check it out.
QUOTE(Belphegor @ Mar 31 2015, 04:41 PM)
Your friend got so sui anot? sweat.gif There are many retail jobs in many shopping malls. Public transport can be reach malls are KL central, Quill 7, KLCC. Try to ask your friend to look for jobs around there.

Best of luck! icon_rolleyes.gif
Thank you guys for the comments smile.gif

I will have a chat with him regarding this matter.

And well....let me just say that this wasn't his choice, and he isn't exactly living comfortably.

In face, I can tell he's pretty stressed now with everything. He had to borrow a bit from me because it was that bad. And I'm not kidding when I said his parents aren't helping. I'll just say this- His parents aren't even his parents, and divorce(s) plays a huge role in it.

I'd say that he's already coping as well as he can given the circumstances.

I'll need to get him to try and find some temporary small jobs then; assuming he moves to other places, he's in too bad shape financially to pay the rent.

And I'll try to convince him to move out from Bangi. I think that's the only problem he has since he's too used to keeping things to himself. He has obviously been trying, so it's pretty much time to expand the scope now. He'll need too or I will fear for him by the end of April.

Belphegor
post Mar 31 2015, 06:51 PM

Dreamer
5,805 posts

I had face unemployed situation for 3 months last time. Though is not long but enough to get me depressed. I worked in KLCC as promoter and search for job everyday. I bring home cook food everyday and only spend money on transportation. I used less than RM5 everyday and that get me to save some money while looking for other jobs.

Get your friend shape up and build his confidence. He needs it. At the same time, maybe can help your friend by looking some job ad that needs waiter or something like that. But ask him do not stop looking for jobs because waiter jobs can't survive well in KL. wink.gif
viole
post Mar 31 2015, 08:17 PM

KFC Lover
838 posts

QUOTE(JY_626 @ Mar 31 2015, 05:53 PM)
Thank you guys for the comments smile.gif

I will have a chat with him regarding this matter.

And well....let me just say that this wasn't his choice, and he isn't exactly living comfortably.

In face, I can tell he's pretty stressed now with everything. He had to borrow a bit from me because it was that bad. And I'm not kidding when I said his parents aren't helping. I'll just say this- His parents aren't even his parents, and divorce(s) plays a huge role in it.

I'd say that he's already coping as well as he can given the circumstances.

I'll need to get him to try and find some temporary small jobs then; assuming he moves to other places, he's in too bad shape financially to pay the rent.

And I'll try to convince him to move out from Bangi. I think that's the only problem he has since he's too used to keeping things to himself. He has obviously been trying, so it's pretty much time to expand the scope now. He'll need too or I will fear for him by the end of April.
work in kfc mcd?
Nevermore91
post Mar 31 2015, 09:43 PM

Getting Started
50 posts

Hello

I am not trying to bad mouth ur friend or anything. However, he is a guy and should have the guts to move out from comfort zone, I believe? I mean for myself I was scare too, but because I knew I had to provide to my family n gf eventually one day, I did move out and I am currently at Singapore. I was unemployed for about 4 months but I went to work part time at Starbucks tongue.gif my parents are divorced too.

Your truly a good friend to borrow him some money and post this for him

Still miss my family a lot but I guess for better future, exposure I have to do it smile.gif hope this helps
KayShif
post Apr 1 2015, 01:26 AM

Getting Started
76 posts

With his qualification he should be able to find job easily. There are many jobs available, the requirement are just spm and offered salary is just starting from 1500 onwards.
To say there is no job , i would not agree to that.
However, if he or any one needs any assistance in resume preparation , I can help.
My advise, choose sites other than job street. That is not a site should go for. I agree with some one here mentioned job listing section or any other groups with Jobs .

I knew one available job, recently they were looking for graphic designer, some one also looking for procurement staff, another company need sales staff, others looking for customer service. Jobs are out there.

He have to be aggressive , job will not come to him, he have to go there. Try part time jobs for time being or temporary jobs, contact directly to company or individuals who are hiring for companies.

Be confident , believe in yourself and go for it. smile.gif

This post has been edited by KayShif: Apr 1 2015, 01:26 AM
stanzai
post Apr 1 2015, 05:04 AM

Getting Started
132 posts

less than RM 100 left now. He just needs a job urgently.
What do you mean by less than RM100 in pocket? 3 to 4 application per week only??
That sounds choosy to me.
Please make it clear to ur friend.
Which one is his priority? Is he trying to find a job that is going to suit him or is he trying to get a job to feed himself?
If the priority is feed himself i dont think it is an issue for him to get a job i know at least Mcdonalds are hiring.
Since he has only Rm100 or so in his pocket, i say he better get his arse working soon. Forget about what graphic design, etc...
Prioritize my friend! could not stress it more the word prioritize.

This post has been edited by stanzai: Apr 1 2015, 05:09 AM
mohdyakup
post Apr 1 2015, 05:51 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,287 posts

QUOTE(gulagulahacks @ Mar 31 2015, 12:10 PM)
my advice, he should leave his comfort zone.

always telling this to myself.
This.
TSJY_626
post Apr 1 2015, 08:55 AM

28 posts

Well, I have convinced him to move someplace else which is not Bangi...Where would you all suggest he move too?

Please keep in mind that he needs accommodation too, so assume that he will be residing there as well.

Also, I'm from East Malaysia ( Currently residing in KL) which is the reason why I'm taking this here since you all are obviously more knowledgeable than me location-wise smile.gif
Belphegor
post Apr 1 2015, 09:09 AM

Dreamer
5,805 posts

QUOTE(JY_626 @ Apr 1 2015, 08:55 AM)
Well, I have convinced him to move someplace else which is not Bangi...Where would you all suggest he move too?

Please keep in mind that he needs accommodation too, so assume that he will be residing there as well.

Also, I'm from East Malaysia ( Currently residing in KL) which is the reason why I'm taking this here since you all are obviously more knowledgeable than me location-wise smile.gif
Try to look for some work that provides accommodations. I know there are some restaurants in Solaris are providing. You can get your friend to work there. But social wise is totally dead la because you need a car to travel from that place to another. Public transport is not that convenient there.

Worse come to worse, go for McD. At least they provide free meal. As for accommodations, look for it after you land a job. You don't want to burden him by travelling too far from his workplace.
TSJY_626
post Apr 1 2015, 09:48 AM

28 posts

QUOTE(Belphegor @ Apr 1 2015, 09:09 AM)
Try to look for some work that provides accommodations. I know there are some restaurants in Solaris are providing. You can get your friend to work there. But social wise is totally dead la because you need a car to travel from that place to another. Public transport is not that convenient there.

Worse come to worse, go for McD. At least they provide free meal. As for accommodations, look for it after you land a job. You don't want to burden him by travelling too far from his workplace.
Woooo, Solaris....Heh, maybe not such a good idea for him at the moment sweat.gif

I've been there a couple of times with one rich friend who needed me as a drinking buddy and that place isn't cheap too XD

But yes, Def Mcdonalds or some fast food center at the moment since it's above the salary he's asking for (He's asking for below RM 950 which even I think is way too low. Obviously he needs some more extra because Rm 950 is just all the neccesary spending). I worked there too for 2 months when I was a freshman in college and it's not so bad even if the outlet i worked at didn't provide any disposable gloves for the staff whenever they took out the trash (don't think about it too much shocking.gif )

Though, if he works in Mcdonalds...how long do you recommend? i need to advice him to quit one month in advance so he can send out resumes again and start going for job interviews. And assume he has RM 100 at the moment because well....he actually told me so.
Belphegor
post Apr 1 2015, 10:59 AM

Dreamer
5,805 posts

QUOTE(JY_626 @ Apr 1 2015, 09:48 AM)
Woooo, Solaris....Heh, maybe not such a good idea for him at the moment  sweat.gif

I've been there a couple of times with one rich friend who needed me as a drinking buddy and that place isn't cheap too XD

But yes, Def Mcdonalds or some fast food center at the moment since it's above the salary he's asking for (He's asking for below RM 950 which even I think is way too low. Obviously he needs some more extra because Rm 950 is just all the neccesary spending). I worked there too for 2 months when I was a freshman in college and it's not so bad even if the outlet i worked at didn't provide any disposable gloves for the staff whenever they took out the trash (don't think about it too much  shocking.gif )

Though, if he works in Mcdonalds...how long do you recommend? i need to advice him to quit one month in advance so he can send out resumes again and start going for job interviews. And assume he has RM 100 at the moment because well....he actually told me so.
No la bro, Solaris waiter usually have the accommodation given by the employers. Restaurant provide free food and there have cheap foods too incase he is bored with the daily routine food.

He should at least ask for promoter price, which is around RM1500. Don't spoil the market just because he couldnt land a job. Is he an outgoing person or just shy and not good in social?
TSJY_626
post Apr 1 2015, 12:23 PM

28 posts

QUOTE(Belphegor @ Apr 1 2015, 10:59 AM)
No la bro, Solaris waiter usually have the accommodation given by the employers. Restaurant provide free food and there have cheap foods too incase he is bored with the daily routine food.

He should at least ask for promoter price, which is around RM1500. Don't spoil the market just because he couldnt land a job. Is he an outgoing person or just shy and not good in social?
Very interesting....I'll tell him smile.gif

And the only reason why he is not good socially is because of his English.

It's ok...but one problem; He only speaks coherently when faced with people he knows. Otherwise, his words fly all over the place.

Just imagine how you would speak to a stranger, but for him even that would be a challenge.

I'm concerned about how he'll cope in an interview for that matter.

2 Pages  1 2 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0193sec    0.32    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:50 PM