Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Breast Pump, need advise and suggestion

views

TSjacksontksjj
post Mar 30 2015, 12:15 PM, updated 9y ago

6 posts

Hi, i'm helping my wife to doing survey and planning buy a beast pump. Need advise ...
1) Which is better for Single or Double breast pump??
2) Any brand and model recommend ??

Please give some advise and review.

Thank You very much !! rclxms.gif
vandoren
post Mar 30 2015, 12:51 PM

Casual
488 posts

Is your wife working or full time house wife?
There are a few ways to express the milk.

1) Hand Press/Marmet technique - best way to clear all the milk but very tiring
2) Manual Pump - usually it's single pump, very tiring, and not as efficient as hand press
3) Electric Single pump - economic and auto
3) Electric double pump - more expensive, time saving, 15-20mins to finish express from both side, if use single pump, may 2x the times, limitation is, more parts to wash

Brands like lacte duet, medela, spectra is good
SUSLatteLover
post Mar 30 2015, 12:53 PM

Getting Started
53 posts

QUOTE(vandoren @ Mar 30 2015, 12:51 PM)
Is your wife working or full time house wife?
There are a few ways to express the milk.

1) Hand Press/Marmet technique - best way to clear all the milk but very tiring
2) Manual Pump - usually it's single pump, very tiring, and not as efficient as hand press
3) Electric Single pump - economic and auto
3) Electric double pump - more expensive, time saving, 15-20mins to finish express from both side, if use single pump, may 2x the times, limitation is, more parts to wash

Brands like lacte duet, medela, spectra is good
Wont be tiring la.. Unless really no milk.. Only happened to small breast girl and mostly are slim type..
jane_mj
post Mar 30 2015, 01:39 PM

Getting Started
101 posts

im looking for medela though..heard using medela is less painful compare to avent pump. but still hesistate to buy cuz expensive.
vandoren
post Mar 30 2015, 01:44 PM

Casual
488 posts

QUOTE(LatteLover @ Mar 30 2015, 12:53 PM)
Wont be tiring la.. Unless really no milk.. Only happened to small breast girl and mostly are slim type..
I had tried to hand press during work. I rush and finish both side within 20mins. But both hands were very tiring and fingers were sore. Then I bought a double pump which work great to me, I can do my work on laptop while pumping.
vandoren
post Mar 30 2015, 01:46 PM

Casual
488 posts

QUOTE(jane_mj @ Mar 30 2015, 01:39 PM)
im looking for medela though..heard using medela is less painful compare to avent pump. but still hesistate to buy cuz expensive.
You may survey for lacte duet or spectra, both have good reviews and cheaper than medela.
I couldn't comment much on these 2 brands as I'm also a medela freestyle user.

mastering
post Mar 30 2015, 01:48 PM

42 posts

Go for double electric pump. Bought the brand "first years" for like RM400 few years back. Reasonably priced, worked well, and "user" did not complain sore/pain.
jane_mj
post Mar 30 2015, 01:53 PM

Getting Started
101 posts

QUOTE(vandoren @ Mar 30 2015, 01:46 PM)
You may survey for lacte duet or spectra, both have good reviews and cheaper than medela.
I couldn't comment much on these 2 brands as I'm also a medela freestyle user.
im not sure whether to invest a good pump or opt for a cheaper manual one to test whther i have milk anot. im expecting my baby in june btw.sure the gst cost pump higher sigh.
vandoren
post Mar 30 2015, 01:56 PM

Casual
488 posts

QUOTE(jane_mj @ Mar 30 2015, 01:53 PM)
im not sure whether to invest a good pump or opt for a cheaper manual one to test whther i have milk anot. im expecting my baby in june btw.sure the gst cost pump higher sigh.
FYI, most pumps are imported thus price already increased due to RM drop sad.gif
Thus I feel that no hurry to buy one now. I bought my pump after 2 weeks started work, pumps are available anywhere as long as you have money biggrin.gif

If i'm not mistaken, there will be sales on August every year because August is breastfeeding month.

This post has been edited by vandoren: Mar 30 2015, 01:59 PM
hanishoney
post Mar 30 2015, 03:25 PM

Getting Started
299 posts

QUOTE(LatteLover @ Mar 30 2015, 12:53 PM)
Breast size has nothing to do with lack of milk. The common reasons for no milk are:

1. PCOS or other fertility issue; if you got pregnant normally, this is not an issue.
2. Poor latch (as in baby's mouth not latch the nipple correctly or the pump horn/shield size incorrect for your nipple; so best to choose a pump brand that has multiple breastshield/horn sizing and if you intend to breastfeed baby directly, make sure you know what a correct, good latch looks like).
3. Demand = supply. The more baby sucks with correct latch or the more often you pump using correct breastshield size, the more milk you will make. The less baby sucks with correct latch or the less often you pump using correct breastshield size, the less milk you will make.

How do you know your baby is getting enough milk? What goes in must go out! If baby pee and poo often, that means baby is getting plenty of breastmilk. If baby does NOT pee or poo, then only can you be sure that baby's latch is not good enough. Because some pumps, breastshields or horns don't suit everybody, please don't assume just because no milk come out of pump means baby is not getting milk when breastfeeding directly. Can read more about how to tell whether you have enough milk here: http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/newborn-nursing/

QUOTE(hanishoney @ Dec 4 2014, 01:25 PM)
Factors to consider in choosing your pump:

How often and how long will you be pumping? To me, manual pump is a waste of money. Hand expressing is actually more effective than manual pump, and cheaper! Since the first month, you should just latch latch latch, that gives you a whole month to practice expressing by hand and IF expressing by hand doesn't work by the end of that first month, THEN only you buy manual pump. Click here for my favourite hand expressing video.

It took me about two weeks of trying every day to get the milk to come out by hand expression. When I first started, I just practiced getting the milk out. I practiced in the shower until my arm was sore, and then stop. I repeat only once a day. One day, it just shoot out! Only when I could make the milk shoot out from every angle of the breast 360degree, then only I practice to collect the milk. Hand expressing is soooooo useful and so convenient. I just keep a clean bottle in my car, in my handbag. Any emergency, I just wash my hands and express. I never have to worry about what if I forgot my pump! Even if I forgot the bottle, I just go to a baby shop or baby section of dept store and buy milk bags. Can pump straight in without washing.

However, if you're planning to go back to work full time, or you're going to be separated from your baby for more than 6 hours at a time, then you should definitely buy a double electric. To bf successfully, you should latch OR pump every 3 hours around the clock for the first 6 months. Let's say you're a typical working mum, so you're going to be separated from your baby for 8 hours + 1 hour commute between home and office. That's 9 hours separation, and that means 3x pumping.

When you're pumping, you should pump 20 minutes each breast. If you use a double pump, each session will be 20 minutes x 3 sessions, which means total amount of pumping at the office is 1 hour. If you use only a single pump, you have to do 20 minutes left breast than only 20 minutes right breast, meaning 40 minutes x 3 sessions! That's 2 hours of pumping at the office, not to mention that you'll be disappearing for 40 minutes 3x a day. Your boss will NOT be happy with you.

Double pump is about saving time. You HALVE the time of pumping with double pump, because you pump both breasts at the same time. If you buy a hands free bra, then you can pump AND do other things at the same time. (I liked to nap while pumping; the first 6 months of newborn baby, it was the only sleep time I got!)

Where will you be pumping? Will you have a plug point? If you have a plug point, then you don't need rechargeable battery types, which are more expensive. Will you be pumping in your car? Then you need a pump where you can buy the car charger addition, or consider rechargeable battery types. Will you be carrying the pump around? Then you want to consider a lightweight pump. Heavier, bigger pumps that you can just leave in the office would have better suction so you can pump more milk in less time, if you're just pumping at the office. Will you be pumping in the middle of the office with everyone around you? You may want to make sure that your pump is as quiet as possible. Some pumps can be very loud and embarassing, but no pump is completely silent. I once entered an elevator while pumping. It was a very quiet pump, and normally no one can hear it, but in an enclosed elevator that echoes, the people sharing the elevator with me heard the pump and freaked out a bit by the weird noise echoing so quietly.

How long do you intend to use it for? Are you planning to have multiple children? Do you plan to re-use the pump for second and third and fourth child? Then make sure you know where to send the pump for servicing and how easy/affordable servicing will be. You will need to send the pump for servicing at least, if not more often, every time you get pregnant with a new baby. Malaysian Medela service center charges over RM300 to service US-bought pumps, though those US-imported pumps are cheaper by RM200 or RM300 than those sold through the official Malaysian distributor. If you're only using for one baby, then you might really be saving by buying US medela pump, but if you want to use for even two babies, you might as well just buy the more expensive version.

Also if you live far away from the service center, will it be expensive to ship to the service center? Or will the shop you buy it from pay for the shipping? What will you pump with while your main pump is away? How long is warranty?

Do you plan to buy second hand from a stranger or re-sell your pump after you're done? If you do, then consider avoiding medela, avent and other brands with open-pump system. Open-pump system means that the pump itself is not protected from the user. It is possible that any infections of the previous user can pass to the new user AND HER BABY through open-pump systems. There is no evidence that any infections/diseases have been acquired through breast pumps though, so if you wish to take the risk to yourself and your babies, or risk infecting other people's babies, that is up to you. I just tell you what is known. If you don't want to take this risk, look for closed-pump systems.

Lowyat's previous breastpump thread: 1 and 2
Update: Malaysian Medela service center no longer services US-bought pumps at all. Medela pumps bought from US are for 1-baby use only. They say it in their manuals, on their website, etc. Please take note and avoid US Medela pumps if you plan to use for more than 1 baby.

This post has been edited by hanishoney: Apr 7 2015, 12:32 PM
sonerin
post Mar 30 2015, 06:04 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,690 posts

Medela is highly recommended
craftsnknots
post Mar 30 2015, 09:15 PM

On my way
577 posts

QUOTE(hanishoney @ Mar 30 2015, 04:25 PM)
Breast size has nothing to do with lack of milk. The common reasons for no milk are:

1. PCOS or other fertility issue; if you got pregnant normally, this is not an issue.
2. Poor latch (as in baby's mouth not latch the nipple correctly or the pump horn/shield size incorrect for your nipple; so best to choose a pump brand that has multiple breastshield/horn sizing and if you intend to breastfeed baby directly, make sure you know what a correct, good latch looks like).
3. Demand = supply. The more baby sucks with correct latch or the more often you pump using correct breastshield size, the more milk you will make. The less baby sucks with correct latch or the less often you pump using correct breastshield size, the less milk you will make.

How do you know your baby is getting enough milk? What goes in must go out! If baby pee and poo often, that means baby is getting plenty of breastmilk. If baby does NOT pee or poo, then only can you be sure that baby's latch is not good enough. Because some pumps, breastshields or horns don't suit everybody, please don't assume just because no milk come out of pump means baby is not getting milk when breastfeeding directly. Can read more about how to tell whether you have enough milk here: http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/newborn-nursing/
Thank you so much, I learnt so much just rrom 1 post from you
shin_daria
post Apr 5 2015, 07:35 PM

24 posts

QUOTE(hanishoney @ Mar 30 2015, 03:25 PM)
When you're pumping, you should pump 20 minutes each breast. If you use a double pump, each session will be 20 minutes x 3 sessions, which means total amount of pumping at the office is 1 hour. If you use only a single pump, you have to do 20 minutes left breast than only 20 minutes right breast, meaning 40 minutes x 3 sessions! That's 2 hours of pumping at the office, not to mention that you'll be disappearing for 40 minutes 3x a day. Your boss will NOT be happy with you.

well there's freemie attachment for that. coupled with a rechargable handsfree pump you could be walking around the office during work and nobody will notice laugh.gif

user posted image
hanishoney
post Apr 7 2015, 12:28 PM

Getting Started
299 posts

QUOTE(shin_daria @ Apr 5 2015, 07:35 PM)

well there's freemie attachment for that. coupled with a rechargable handsfree pump you could be walking around the office during work and nobody will notice laugh.gif

Have you ever actually used freemie? You have to be VERY careful while walking around with milk in it. It CAN spill and it's NOT wire free, so the tubing between your pump and the freemies will be dangling around and can get caught by chair/plant/whatever and can do a lot of wardrobe damage. Also, if we're talking about single pumping with freemie, it will be very obvious, because one side will be A LOT larger that the other side.

If you intend to pump where your boss and colleagues are, then you also need to look for a quiet pump, because trust me, nothing is more embarrassing than a loud pump going BWONG BWONG BWONG in the middle of your office. Thanks for reminding me of that factor. Will edit my post to include that under Where will you be pumping?

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0142sec    0.19    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:31 AM