Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Painting advise

views

enriquelee
post Apr 1 2015, 04:31 PM

Don't ask for more, ask for COKE
All Stars
10,507 posts

QUOTE(WaCKy-Angel @ Apr 1 2015, 11:32 AM)
Matex usually are more suitable for dry area.
If u talking about moisture places are not recommend to use Matex, better use paint like Nippon Weatherbond or ICI Weathershield.
But since Matex are dirty cheap, usually ppl just use it and re-paint it when it turns bad.
Weatherbond can costs up to x3 cost of Matex, but quality ofcource much better.
If the substrate is with high moisture content, even weather resistant paint also can not last long. The substrate shall be dry enough before apply the paint.

QUOTE(steventan85 @ Apr 1 2015, 12:54 PM)
in  door ... juz VP and the paint inside like got bubble ....once u repaint , the old paint peel off and stick on the new paint..

i use matex bcoz its matt and easy to touch up... dun wish to use glossy paint as i need to paint the whole house
Seems like your wall is damp.
If you want easy maintenance, maybe you can consider semi glossy emulsion paint such as pentalite of ICI.
ozak
post Apr 1 2015, 05:12 PM

10k Club
All Stars
16,546 posts

If you guys one to quick paint without waiting the wall dry, you can use Mr.paintman fast track 500.

But subject to >20% moisture on the wall.
enriquelee
post Apr 3 2015, 02:16 PM

All Stars
10,507 posts

QUOTE(ozak @ Apr 1 2015, 05:12 PM)
If you guys one to quick paint without waiting the wall dry, you can use Mr.paintman fast track 500.

But subject to >20% moisture on the wall.
You use it before? Effective?
ozak
post Apr 3 2015, 02:53 PM

10k Club
All Stars
16,546 posts

QUOTE(enriquelee @ Apr 3 2015, 02:16 PM)
You use it before? Effective?
Never use before. blush.gif

Introduce by the Mr.paintman boss. He got give me 1 cans to try. But don't no where I put it. That it back to 2-3yrs ago.
enriquelee
post Apr 3 2015, 05:19 PM

All Stars
10,507 posts

QUOTE(ozak @ Apr 3 2015, 02:53 PM)
Never use before.  blush.gif

Introduce by the Mr.paintman boss. He got give me 1 cans to try. But don't no where I put it. That it back to 2-3yrs ago.
The 20% you mentioned is moisture content, right?
Shall be more than 20% or less than 20%?
ozak
post Apr 3 2015, 05:41 PM

10k Club
All Stars
16,546 posts

QUOTE(enriquelee @ Apr 3 2015, 05:19 PM)
The 20% you mentioned is moisture content, right?
Shall be more than 20% or less than 20%?
Sorry. Less than 20%.
enriquelee
post Apr 3 2015, 06:03 PM

All Stars
10,507 posts

QUOTE(ozak @ Apr 3 2015, 05:41 PM)
Sorry. Less than 20%.
I see. Then not much different
TSsteventan85
post Apr 4 2015, 08:11 AM

Look at all my stars!!
6,387 posts

QUOTE(ozak @ Apr 1 2015, 10:37 AM)
Matex or maxilite is a cheap cost paint. Or normally the paint company advertise as economy paint (sound better). biggrin.gif

So it is waste of money to use the cheap paint after primer. Than apply an expensive paint on it. Something doesn't makesense.

You can use matex or maxilite to do repaint job if the old paint is dark color. To save the expensive paint.
Unless u want to paint only 1 room , then can buy expensive paint ...some touch up on existing paint don't need to buy expensive paint .

Existing paint also use matex only , Matt finishing , then why should I buy gloss finishing paint on it ? doh.gif

But the problems is they didn't use primer....so no matter wat kind of paint I use , I still need to apply primer on top of it
Fazab
post Apr 4 2015, 12:38 PM

On my way
518 posts

There are many grades of paints. Expensive doesn't mean gloss and vice versa.

I painted over inside of my new house (matex, developer paint) using a better quality one for these improvements : matt finish, better water resistant, much less dust and chalking and can wipe clean with water. And a wider color range.

Painting is a messy job. If you want to do, best look for long lasting convenience. Not much savings.

ozak
post Apr 4 2015, 02:58 PM

10k Club
All Stars
16,546 posts

QUOTE(steventan85 @ Apr 4 2015, 08:11 AM)
Unless u want to paint only 1 room , then can buy expensive paint ...some touch up on existing paint don't need to buy expensive paint .

Existing paint also use matex only , Matt finishing , then why should I buy gloss finishing paint on it ? doh.gif

But the problems is they didn't use primer....so no matter wat kind of paint I use , I still need to apply primer on top of it
Actually it is not really an expensive paint. It is just normal paint like dulux pentalite (Matt) or dulux pearl glo (semi gloss) for ICI example. There is another more expensive paint.

If touch up existing paint, you have to use back the existing paint. If use other paint to touch up, the color and finishing is totally different. Your wall will look like patching different tone here and there. Unless you are artistic enough. That will look ugly. Even old paint touch up with new paint will have different tone.

Matex or maxilite have very limited color choice and finishing surface (just Matt). If you just want to paint back the same color and finishing, that is totally fine. But if you want something different, than this paint have limited choice.

Primer is use on the bare wall. Not on the existing paint. You need to chip off the existing paint, clean the bare cement wall and apply primer.

If you want to just paint over the existing paint, get the paint of your choice and paint it. But paint over on the dark color wall with lighter color, you have to use white to paint first. For that, mates or maxilite is good enough.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0126sec    0.18    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:04 AM