Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> [WTA] Solid wood worktop with undermount sink, Settled!

views

kerjakayu.my
post Jun 15 2015, 12:28 AM

Getting Started
85 posts

QUOTE(hianboy @ Jun 3 2015, 10:21 PM)
hi guys~ Its been a while i'd been into the adventure of cutting the sink hole.

Appreciated everyone's opinions and assists especially KerjaKayu who offer helps voluntary.

After watched numerous times of Youtube tutorials and failed to get a professional to do the job (even thought i want to pay them), i'd decided to put my own hands on it.

This is the result (The corners will be sand into rounded)

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

Before i started i'd decided to use Router for this job, but somehow im ended up with Jigsaw which was a neighbour.

Then i went back to Router well i must said its much much more safer but it took some time to cut thru that thick 3.8cm solid wood.

But the end result ... worth every penny i spent (yes i'd spent around RM500 on tools just to cut this bloody sink hole).

Its my genuine pleasure to assists if anyone who like to do the same thing, im more then happy to share my experience. But i will be very busy rushing my house so i might not able to reply instantly.

Hope everyone enjoy.

Oh ya~ Things you need to know about Ikea Butcher Block (Btw they'd discontinued Numerar solid wood)

1) Must lay flat on flat surface, or at least supported with chairs, alot of it...flat
2) Get a Howard's Butcher Block Mineral Oil (or any others oil etc Tung Oil) and oil it, 3-5 times and let it soaked up atleast 24 hours each time. Still, must lay flat.

3) Must consider the gap between the user and the sink, as you can see mine one the gap are huge because i'd pushed the sink all the way up against the wall and seat on the cabinet support beam. I'd never think of this problem but luckily not that far untill can't utilise the sink.
thumbs up bro!!! glad u did it yourself smile.gif nice experience to have i guess

should mention if u use fence/guide to cut them using the jig saw...btw, if u plan to sell the router & jigsaw plz update me:)

greenkiwi
post Apr 8 2016, 10:23 AM

1 posts

I've got some excess of Numerar solid wood which I'm selling @ https://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?act=ST&f=11&t=3916270
CrazyGrandpa
post Dec 21 2017, 11:32 PM

Getting Started
67 posts

After few years passed, i would like to know whether your solid is ok now ? any stain on it ? I am thinking to do solid wood with under mount too ... appreciate your feedback smile.gif
rzrz
post Mar 13 2018, 06:14 PM

41 posts

I'd like to know the answer too! I went to the kitchen planner people they advise strongly against butcher block due to the maintenance.
SUSadvocado
post Mar 13 2018, 09:37 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,948 posts

QUOTE(rzrz @ Mar 13 2018, 06:14 PM)
I'd like to know the answer too! I went to the kitchen planner people they advise strongly against butcher block due to the maintenance.
think you can apply some protection coat to prevent water sipping in & stains.
TShianboy
post Mar 26 2018, 10:20 AM

Casual
359 posts

Hi there~! Sorry didn't aware of the messages at here... though the thread is sunken under the deep sea.

The butcher block still look fine, usually i will oil them like once a month of one a few months, as long as i felt the water repellent function getting worst then i will apply oil again.

Only one issue when you put something really hot on top of the block for a long period, the joining of the blocks will start cracking up.

Not sure its the issue of Ikea's butcher block or this is common on all the butcher block.

Will upload some photos of my top as a product review after some years.

Stay tune.
TShianboy
post Mar 26 2018, 10:24 AM

Casual
359 posts

Btw i'm using this food grade mineral oil from Howards.

You can get it in Ace Hardware locally but not all carry them.

Price increased since few years back.

user posted image

TShianboy
post Mar 27 2018, 10:40 AM

Casual
359 posts

My current top condition, uses it everyday for mostly baby stuff dish washing. Got alot of table clothe laying around to make sure keep the top dry.
Attached Image

The silicon that i'd applied on the inner side started to peeling off...
Attached Image

The crack i'm talking about (Not crack actually, im not sure whats the proper word to describe this phenomenon), two spots, one when put a grille on top and the other one with steriliser. Both without any insulation layer at bottom
Attached Image
Attached Image

Some expansion on the joint over time...
Attached Image

Will attach videos of comparison of before and after oiling the top with the mineral oil, to show the water repellent improvement.

Stay tune.

This post has been edited by hianboy: Mar 27 2018, 10:46 AM
TShianboy
post Mar 27 2018, 10:49 AM

Casual
359 posts

Not much obvious stain, some dark mould on some spot where always contact with water. Got few burnt mark from hot pot. Thats all... quite durable if you ask me. At first i'm quite skeptical and worried to scratch the top.
But after sometime you won't even bother it, stuff just throw and drag around.
TShianboy
post Mar 27 2018, 10:54 AM

Casual
359 posts

Yes butcher block do need maintenance, because its solid wood and use around sink. Strongly against? See how much you like solid wood.
After using for like almost 3 years, beside wiping it dry and oil it once a while, seriously i didn't felt any hassle at all for so call "maintenance" on the butcher block. Thos "maintenance" practices became my daily habit.
keni988
post Apr 15 2018, 10:45 AM

Casual
387 posts

Another route for worktop is using top mount sink.
Below is mine(Ikea hammarp 2.8cm thick)photo after one year.

This post has been edited by keni988: Apr 15 2018, 10:54 AM

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
TShianboy
post Apr 15 2018, 11:09 PM

Casual
359 posts

Wow~ what a nice sink u got there~!
KuzumiTaiga
post Apr 23 2019, 03:29 PM

Spends too much time with mechanical keyboards
3,283 posts

parking, embarking on the same thing, maybe with granite sink with karlby worktop
kabyss87
post Apr 24 2019, 08:36 AM

Enthusiast
784 posts

QUOTE(hianboy @ Mar 27 2018, 10:40 AM)
My current top condition, uses it everyday for mostly baby stuff dish washing. Got alot of table clothe laying around to make sure keep the top dry.
Attached Image

The silicon that i'd applied on the inner side started to peeling off...
Attached Image

The crack i'm talking about (Not crack actually, im not sure whats the proper word to describe this phenomenon), two spots, one when put a grille on top and the other one with steriliser. Both without any insulation layer at bottom
Attached Image
Attached Image

Some expansion on the joint over time...
Attached Image

Will attach videos of comparison of before and after oiling the top with the mineral oil, to show the water repellent improvement.

Stay tune.
Finally found someone that had been using ikea solid wood worktop! laugh.gif laugh.gif

looking forward to see the results of oiling again.. wood aesthetics nvr gets old biggrin.gif

QUOTE(keni988 @ Apr 15 2018, 10:45 AM)
nice! that sink was custom made to fit?

halcyon27
post Apr 24 2019, 09:02 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,140 posts

I admire the labour of love but capillary action eventually will work against the wood esp at the part where ie meets the sink and wall.

One modification is to seal the wood side and underside where it meets the sink and the part where it meets the wall with Polyurethane sealant after applying the tung seed oil. Alternatively the underside (up to 6" from the edges) and side where it meets the sink could be varnished or shellac if you don't mind the discoloration at that part.

I used to have a tall Ivar shelf which was shellac and varnished thoroughly and despite the deeper stain or the pine wood, it lasted us well from being a Multimedia shelf for PC, PS2 to a laundry area shelf to a kitchen pots and pans shelf.

This post has been edited by halcyon27: Apr 24 2019, 09:22 AM
keni988
post Apr 24 2019, 10:00 PM

Casual
387 posts

QUOTE(kabyss87 @ Apr 24 2019, 08:36 AM)
Finally found someone that had been using ikea solid wood worktop!  laugh.gif  laugh.gif

looking forward to see the results of oiling again.. wood aesthetics nvr gets old  biggrin.gif
nice! that sink was custom made to fit?
Nope, it is IKEA sink, so it fit the worktop well. No complaint so far on splash water issue.
Bjorn1688
post Apr 24 2019, 10:11 PM

Regular
1,924 posts

QUOTE(keni988 @ Apr 15 2018, 10:45 AM)
I have this exact setup for one of my rental units but not that sink.

Pity they no longer sell that Vedinge series in that grey.

Is that top a Beech or Birch?

Does yours' develop some black fungus by the sink as well?

keni988
post Apr 25 2019, 12:00 AM

Casual
387 posts

QUOTE(Bjorn1688 @ Apr 24 2019, 10:11 PM)
I have this exact setup for one of my rental units but not that sink.

Pity they no longer sell that Vedinge series in that grey.

Is that top a Beech or Birch?

Does yours' develop some black fungus by the sink as well?
Birch. No fungus, it is natural colour since purchase day.
This is my second home kitchen setup, I only stay few days in a month, only cook Maggi mee few times a year.
halcyon27
post Apr 30 2019, 10:13 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,140 posts

I wonder if this alternative might catch on here. The product is found here.

This post has been edited by halcyon27: Apr 30 2019, 10:18 PM

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0149sec    0.39    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:27 AM