Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Bump Topic Topic Closed RSS Feed

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

The SSD Thread V5, Solid State Drive

views

artyom
post Jun 6 2017, 01:55 PM

6 posts

Guys need some advice. I just bought a Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD and I'm thinking of using some spare heatsinks from an old video card and thermal tape to cool down the SSD. The temps are actually OK so far (40c idle, up to 50c load) but i think can do better.

The thing is I've read that removing the sticker from the SSD voids the warranty, so I'm wondering is it worth taking the risk. If it doesn't affect the warrant of if no more warranty I wouldn't think twice to be honest, but this thing costs me 1k+ so it's no trivial matter to me hmm.gif

user posted image

I think it might be throttling cause if you see the last benchmark it's much lower than usual for this drive.

artyom
post Jun 20 2017, 04:00 AM

6 posts

Ok so I've decided to put heatsinks on my 960 EVO... screw the warranty rclxm9.gif

Max temp so far is 41c, compared to 50c before. CrystalDiskMark shows slight improvement in performance, though that might be due to caching (just installed Windows when i first ran the benchmark, been running for a week or so now.) Honestly, it's near impossible to tell the differrence when it comes to real world usage, cause NVMe is so damn fast.

Now I pray nothing happens to my SSD before the warranty ends biggrin.gif

Not pretty but who gives a sh!t...

user posted image

Old and new benchmarks...

user posted image     user posted image

Also, benchmarks for my Samsung 850 EVO SATA SSD and Seagate 3TB NAS hard disk on the same system...

user posted image     user posted image

artyom
post Jul 7 2017, 08:44 PM

6 posts

QUOTE(horns @ Jul 7 2017, 02:07 AM)
for those with weird nvme ssd m.2 slot, ek has passive m.2 nvme ssd cooler for you:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/ekwb-nvme...sink,34939.html
https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-m-2-nvme-heatsink-black
Just read about this yesterday. Looks quite nice i have to say, especially the black one. Whether anyone is willing to bring and sell it here in Malaysia is another matter.

Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0471sec    0.83    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:26 PM