Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> any house never do plaster ceiling ?, is it must for plaster ceiling for renov

views

TSmghong
post Mar 4 2015, 03:35 PM, updated 9y ago

Casual
450 posts

Hi

I in dilemma right now whether should i install plaster ceiling at my ground floor , is it must ?

Is there anyone did't install plaster ceiling and manage to put in some good cabling + lighting out from there ?

I know Dimlight is nice and pretty but is it necessary for ground floor ? my 2nd floor is come with plaster ceiling so to install light on the room is advise able.
swdee2
post Mar 4 2015, 04:09 PM

Getting Started
82 posts

QUOTE(mghong @ Mar 4 2015, 03:35 PM)
Hi

I in dilemma right now whether should i install plaster ceiling at my ground floor , is it must ?

Is there anyone did't install plaster ceiling and manage to put in some good cabling + lighting out from there ?

I know Dimlight is nice and pretty but is it necessary for ground floor ? my 2nd floor is come with plaster ceiling so to install light on the room is advise able.
I didn't do at all, but extra wiring will need to conceal , labor cost is higher per point, depend on your living room size, my total cost is lower if compare to do full plaster ceiling.
mikazzz
post Mar 4 2015, 04:24 PM

< / >
879 posts

Didn't do coz don't like the look of it and it costs a bomb
telur
post Mar 4 2015, 06:20 PM

Casual
335 posts

If you can afford , why not ? Plain flat board is around rm2 / persqf . Easier to pull wiring , more options for lighting and look nicer. My current place is without plaster , u can see uneven surface when u on light and its very hard to conceal the wiring .
LoveMeNot
post Mar 4 2015, 07:51 PM

Live . Laugh . Love
1,710 posts

not whether it's a must or not. it's all about personal preference. Like for myself, I've done plaster ceiling for the living room, dining area and kitchen to cover the ugly wiring.

As for the bedroom, no plaster ceiling due to budget constrained. I wish I have the extra cash to spare for the bedrooms though because the casing for the wiring on the ceiling is so horrendous. If I were to do plaster ceiling for it. at least it is nicely hidden and there's no uneven surface.

This post has been edited by LoveMeNot: Mar 4 2015, 07:53 PM
telur
post Mar 4 2015, 09:25 PM

Casual
335 posts

Yes furthermore its a thing that you must do before u shift in else next time ull have cleaning headache . Either u do before u move in or dont do at all in the future .
ahchun
post Mar 4 2015, 09:29 PM

MiddleAge
1,115 posts

if you dont plan to install downlight and got minimum wiring running around, you can hide the wiring with cornice. and plan your lighting near the wall or corner of ceiling

else contractor need to conceal them and those added to the cost as well. and those ceiling will have scars as well
TSmghong
post Mar 5 2015, 11:07 PM

Casual
450 posts

either is i use cornice to hide them , i will ask my wiremen to put wiring at the corner so i use cornice still nice.

plaster ceilling is my last option if want to hide those uneven surface or scars..damn

xin
post Mar 6 2015, 10:18 AM

Maisonducat Storekeeper
6,542 posts

try check all the ceilings if any of them are too uneven or scar-ed, if its unbearable then only consider plaster ceiling else cornice would do just fine. Any cornice design in mind ?
TSmghong
post Mar 6 2015, 11:18 AM

Casual
450 posts

QUOTE(xin @ Mar 6 2015, 10:18 AM)
try check all the ceilings if any of them are too uneven or scar-ed, if its unbearable then only consider plaster ceiling else cornice would do just fine. Any cornice design in mind ?
the guy who qoute me for plaster ceiling told me that with my dimension , plaster ceilling is cheaper..

no idea on cornice , hardly find anyone can do it around my area.

is it harmful for plaster ceiling or cornice ?
xin
post Mar 6 2015, 11:27 AM

Maisonducat Storekeeper
6,542 posts

QUOTE(mghong @ Mar 6 2015, 11:18 AM)
the guy who qoute me for plaster ceiling told me that with my dimension , plaster ceilling is cheaper..

no idea on cornice , hardly find anyone can do it around my area.

is it harmful for plaster ceiling or cornice ?
what is the dimension being quoted ?The plaster ceiling contractor should have the skills to put up the cornice too, its virtually the same.
S'aimer
post Mar 6 2015, 02:24 PM

On my way
637 posts

Plaster ceiling is done for following reasons:

1. New house layout
2. New extension with new roof, so have to cover the wiring at the roof side.
3. Hide the ceiling beams if one is bothered by the appearance of ceiling beams here and there or for fengshui purpose. It varies.
4. To hide the electrical wiring.
5. It might be easier and less time consuming to do plaster ceiling than spending lots of time to plaster the existing ceiling all over again before smoothing/sanding down to a nice finish?

So ya, it varies. There are also houses that follow industrial design and do not use plaster ceiling to cover the wiring either.

This post has been edited by S'aimer: Mar 6 2015, 02:24 PM
blacktubi
post Mar 6 2015, 04:43 PM

-
Group Icon
Elite
7,508 posts

You can always do skim coat to have the smooth ceiling effect.
sheahann
post Jun 21 2015, 09:11 PM

Crashing like a tidal wave..
2,236 posts

Anyone still doing cornice? How much is it
acbc
post Jun 21 2015, 09:13 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,476 posts

Mine. I used timber floor boards instead. Expensive but not too common.
popice2u
post Jun 21 2015, 09:21 PM

Regular
1,264 posts

do consider dust collection b4 deciding plaster ceiling......cornice is still better
TSmghong
post Jun 22 2015, 05:41 PM

Casual
450 posts

we do want to do cornice but just too many pillar and bin to cover..

lousy developer.
itekderp
post Jun 22 2015, 08:00 PM

On my way
674 posts

If you don't mind, hijack your thread for one question please TS.
I'm currently having a bit of bother in that I got the cutout for the light dimension wrong. The hole is bigger than it's supposed to be by a few cm. I've asked my contractor, and he's not sure whether it's fixable the conventional method where you cutout a larger piece and screw it back on. Apparently the plaster board at the back is different from the one inside the house, it comes in pieces which is riveted into the ceiling or frame.
Anyone has any advice what I'm dealing with here?

TSmghong
post Jun 23 2015, 10:23 PM

Casual
450 posts

alternate , buy a bit bigger dimlight to cover it..
gurlnextdoor
post Jun 25 2015, 05:31 PM

35 posts

Hi!

I'm in the same dilemma for my kitchen.

My contractor is suggesting i do plaster ceiling for the kitchen as it is concrete now.

Additional 1 light point and 2 light points.

I plan to have 1 fan and 4 surface mounted lighting in the kitchen.

I do want to save some money but make sure it looks decent.

Anyone had surface mounted lighting in the kitchen? would it look industrial like, which is my theme.

Thank you!

2 Pages  1 2 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0171sec    0.32    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:07 PM