158 Pages « < 87 88 89 90 91 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Travel Taiwan V4

views

matt_turner
post Feb 13 2016, 10:50 AM

0 posts

QUOTE(_ChAoS_ @ Feb 5 2016, 10:09 AM)
If your stay in Green Island is for 2 nights, it should be ok. Green island is worth travelling through slowly. There are several boats to green island daily. If you booked an accommodation at green island, you can request them to reserve the boat tickets for you (just go to the right counter at the harbour).

You've also asked about the beaches in the east coast, i've been to a few of them, sadly, a lot of them are pebble beaches rather than the soft sandy beaches in Australia. Australia has much nicer beaches =)
Thanks very much.

I am thinking of extending my time in Green Island and reducing time in other places.

Also reducing the number of hot springs that I am going to. It is just too many. I think that I will visit the unique ones only (as listed below)

Some must-visit places include:
chaojih hot springs - sea water hot springs
dive / snorkel: Nanliao, Tapaisha and Chaikou (Green Island)
Suao cold springs in Yilan

If there are better hot springs than the ones above or if some from my previous list are better, please advise.

Taitung I think that I could skip and go to Hualien as there is quite a bit of activities that I can do

Night markets they are all very similar so am not particular about which ones I visit, so am very flexible.

And could maybe do last 2 days in Taipei so am back in the city.

Thanks again everyone for your help with my trip.

matt_turner
post Feb 13 2016, 10:55 AM

0 posts

I am a little concerned that I am spending too much time on trains traveling between too many places & had planned to visit too many hot springs.

I think it best to reduce to less places but spend more time in them. Which ones do you recommend to visit and which ones to skip this trip?
(I will definitely be going back to Taiwan again in the future)

Hualien looks like there is quite a few things that can do here; Taroko National Park / gorge, river white water rafting

Taipei city: would be a quick viewing at Taipei 101 Starbucks... Hopefully a tip that I can give you guys is that there is a viewing platform of Taipei city from the Starbucks which is free to access (instead of paying for the view)

zstan
post Feb 13 2016, 11:43 AM

10k Club
All Stars
15,671 posts

QUOTE(matt_turner @ Feb 13 2016, 10:55 AM)
I am a little concerned that I am spending too much time on trains traveling between too many places & had planned to visit too many hot springs.

I think it best to reduce to less places but spend more time in them. Which ones do you recommend to visit and which ones to skip this trip?
(I will definitely be going back to Taiwan again in the future)

Hualien looks like there is quite a few things that can do here; Taroko National Park / gorge, river white water rafting

Taipei city: would be a quick viewing at Taipei 101 Starbucks... Hopefully a tip that I can give you guys is that there is a viewing platform of Taipei city from the Starbucks which is free to access (instead of paying for the view)
maybe u could redo a new draft of ur itinerary to be commented.
cineis
post Feb 13 2016, 01:05 PM

1 posts

Thanks for your tips, zstan. Is the RM400 with room included? Which neighborhood do you recommend in Taipei? Which is their artsy/young creatives neighborhood? smile.gif
zstan
post Feb 14 2016, 10:01 AM

10k Club
All Stars
15,671 posts

QUOTE(cineis @ Feb 13 2016, 01:05 PM)
Thanks for your tips, zstan. Is the RM400 with room included? Which neighborhood do you recommend in Taipei? Which is their artsy/young creatives neighborhood? smile.gif
Yeah if u stay backpacker hostel it's about 60 to 70 per night. Well all depends on your budget lor. I'd recommend banana hostel for its vicinity and price and nice place to stay.

Artsy neighbourhood would probably be Xi men Ding and shi da night market I guess.
joydman
post Feb 14 2016, 08:26 PM

23 posts

Hi, Happy Chinese New Year and Gong Xi Fa Cai to all.

Looking for opinions, advice on my 10 days trip to Taiwan on 26th May.

Will be travelling with the wife and our 11 year old boy, and since we're mandarin illiterate will be travelling by taxis and hired cars with drivers.

My planed itinerary as follow:
26th May- Taipei city
27th May- Taipei city, shihlin market
28th May- Dansui old street, Beitou Hotspring, Jiufen - can do one day trip?
29th May- Taroko Gorge.

This is where I need advice, should I put up in Taichung city after Taroko as planning to visit sun moon lake and cingjing farm. Or should I put up in Chiayi instead as planning to visit Alishan as well.

Is it possible to do a day trip to Alishan from Taichung as I won't be watching the sunrise. Anyone know roughly the cost to hire a car with driver to Taroko and Taichung. Will try to contact the numbers supplied by forum members.

Appreciate greatly any inputs and advice, Thank You.

inachi
post Feb 14 2016, 08:42 PM

i don troll
1,097 posts

QUOTE(joydman @ Feb 14 2016, 08:26 PM)

Will be travelling with the wife and our 11 year old boy, and since we're mandarin illiterate will be travelling by taxis and hired cars with drivers.

26th May- Taipei city
28th May- Dansui old street, Beitou Hotspring, Jiufen  - can do one day trip?
29th May- Taroko Gorge.

This is where I need advice, should I put up in Taichung city after Taroko as planning to visit sun moon lake and cingjing farm. Or should I put up in Chiayi instead as planning to visit Alishan as well.

Is it possible to do a day trip to Alishan from Taichung as I won't be watching the sunrise. Anyone know roughly the cost to hire a car with driver to Taroko and Taichung. Will try to contact the numbers supplied by forum members.

If its me i would prefer to travel from south to north instead of north to south.

For ur 28th, not sure why u would want to put Dansui and beitou hotspring and jiufen together. It's definitely not enough unless u wanna missed Shifen.. Beitou can together with shilin market since they are somehow nearer.

As for 28th, u shud fully focus on Jiufen(nighttime), Shifen(daytime) and the Pingxi area.

matt_turner
post Feb 14 2016, 09:20 PM

0 posts

Hi,

Adjusted itinerary below: This is though up for recommendations / suggestions of other places that could go instead. Last trip I went to Yeh Liu Geo Park: Queen's Head and spent a lot of time traveling to get there so am trying to minimise this somewhat.

Day 1: fly late night into Taiwan & stay in hotel close to Taipei Main station

Day 2: take fast train to Taitung and take boat to Lu Tao / green island:
Day 2 / Day 3 / Day 4:
Zhaori ocean hot springs
dive / snorkel: Nanliao, Tapaisha and Chaikou

When I get to the island I will try to hire a scooter to move around or join a snorkelling group. I am interested in diving group also. If anyone has recommendations.

Snorkeling areas looking to visit: Chaikou, Shilang, and Dabaisha

Day 4

Ferry back to Taitung & head back to Hualien for a multitude of activities such as white water rafting, maybe hiking depending on how am feeling and one major hot spring place.

Be in Hualien Day 4 / Day 5 / Day 6 / Day 7??

Day 6 OR Day 7: head to Yilan:
Suao cold springs & maybe Cingshuei dire area

Then progress to Taipei main station for Taipei city.

Spend time in Taipei & short trips:
Shifen for Lanterns again
Shin Beitou for hot springs only 30mins away from Taipei city.

Day 9 & Day Day 10:
Probably be in Taipei or near-by cities.

Day 10: Fly late afternoon. Be at Airport at 6pm
Take bus to express train back to the airport.

This is a shorter version of the trip. I have some other days to fill with activities or places to visit. If can advise of where else to spend time on the way as itinerary used as a guide and not solid stone.

Is it advisable to not bother visiting the West Coast side until next visit? I am looking to maximise my trip for activities.

Thanks again for your comments and your help!
joydman
post Feb 14 2016, 09:36 PM

23 posts

QUOTE(inachi @ Feb 14 2016, 08:42 PM)
If its me i would prefer to travel from south to north instead of north to south.

For ur 28th, not sure why u would want to put Dansui and beitou hotspring and jiufen together. It's definitely not enough unless u wanna missed Shifen.. Beitou can together with shilin market since they are somehow nearer.

As for 28th,  u shud fully focus on Jiufen(nighttime), Shifen(daytime) and the Pingxi area.
Hi Inachi, Thanks for the suggestions.

Yes, since this is my first 10 days trip I was thinking to just travel the upper north first, and maybe next next time will travel to the southern part.

As for 28th the reason i plan Dansui, beitou hotspring and jiufen together is becos they seems along the same route to jiufen from dansui. But yes, it is rush. So how about 27th to Dansui, Beitou hotspring and on way back stop shihlin market.

Then 28th to shifen then jiufen. Better this way? Thanks.

Pinnacle1295
post Feb 14 2016, 09:36 PM

Casual
418 posts

QUOTE(joydman @ Feb 14 2016, 08:26 PM)

26th May- Taipei city
28th May- Dansui old street, Beitou Hotspring, Jiufen  - can do one day trip?
29th May- Taroko Gorge.

Tamsui, Beitou Hotspring & Shilin Night Market can be group together using Taipei MRT Danshui Line (Red).

My suggestion is in the following sequence ...... Beitou Hotspring, Tamsui & finally Shilin Night Market.

Take the MRT Danshui Line (Red) and exit at Beitou Station. Switch to Xinbeitou Branch Line and exit at Xinbeitou Station for the hotspring. To go to Tamsui, take the MRT at Xinbeitou Station, exit at Beitou Station and switch to the earlier MRT Danshui Line (Red) to proceed to Danshui Station. Ideally only reach Tamsui in the evening & have dinner there.

After Tamsui you can proceed to Shilin Night Market using the same MRT Danshui Line (Red). However DO NOT exit at Shilin Station but instead exit at Jiantan Station (which is nearer to the night market).

See attached map of MRT.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
joydman
post Feb 15 2016, 11:34 AM

23 posts

QUOTE(Pinnacle1295 @ Feb 14 2016, 09:36 PM)
Tamsui, Beitou Hotspring & Shilin Night Market can be group together using Taipei MRT Danshui Line (Red).

My suggestion is in the following sequence ...... Beitou Hotspring, Tamsui & finally Shilin Night Market.

Take the MRT Danshui Line (Red) and exit at Beitou Station. Switch to Xinbeitou Branch Line and exit at Xinbeitou Station for the hotspring. To go to Tamsui, take the MRT at Xinbeitou Station, exit at Beitou Station and switch to the earlier MRT Danshui Line (Red) to proceed to Danshui Station. Ideally only reach Tamsui in the evening & have dinner there.

After Tamsui you can proceed to Shilin Night Market using the same MRT Danshui Line (Red). However DO NOT exit at Shilin Station but instead exit at Jiantan Station (which is nearer to the night market).

See attached map of MRT.
Hi Pinnacle1295,

Thanks for the suggestions, and the mrt map as well.

Yes, will go with your suggestion on 27th may, and 28th will visit shilin and jiufen then. Looking at the map it seems fairly easy to understand. Thanks.

Pinnacle1295
post Feb 15 2016, 12:47 PM

Casual
418 posts

QUOTE(joydman @ Feb 15 2016, 11:34 AM)
Hi Pinnacle1295,

Thanks for the suggestions, and the mrt map as well.

Yes, will go with your suggestion on 27th may, and 28th will visit shilin and jiufen then. Looking at the map it seems fairly easy to understand. Thanks.
Yes, it is fairly easy to move around at Taipei using the MRT. Hope you have an enjoyable trip!

inachi
post Feb 15 2016, 03:09 PM

i don troll
1,097 posts

QUOTE(joydman @ Feb 14 2016, 09:36 PM)
Hi Inachi, Thanks for the suggestions.

Yes, since this is my first 10 days trip I was thinking to just travel the upper north first, and maybe next next time will travel to the southern part.

As for 28th the reason i plan Dansui, beitou hotspring and jiufen together is becos they seems along the same route to jiufen from dansui. But yes, it is rush. So how about 27th to Dansui, Beitou hotspring and on way back stop shihlin market.

Then 28th to shifen then jiufen.  Better this way? Thanks.
haha what i mean is i will start the trip like this (taoyuan >>taichung >> taipei >> taoyuan)..instead of taoyuan>> taipei >> taichung >> taoyuan..

yeap..jiufen is another route already and u will not be able to reach jiufen by their MRT. like that Pinaccle said, group tamshui, beitou and Shilin together on 27th..

28th early morning take their train(not MRT) to Ruifang district, which lead u to Jiufen, Shifen, and the rest Pingxi areas..This already take up ur 1 day =)
joydman
post Feb 16 2016, 11:46 AM

23 posts

QUOTE(inachi @ Feb 15 2016, 03:09 PM)
haha what i mean is i will start the trip like this (taoyuan >>taichung >> taipei >> taoyuan)..instead of taoyuan>> taipei >> taichung >> taoyuan..

yeap..jiufen is another route already and u will not be able to reach jiufen by their MRT. like that Pinaccle said, group tamshui, beitou and Shilin together on 27th..

28th early morning take their train(not MRT) to Ruifang district, which lead u to Jiufen, Shifen, and the rest Pingxi areas..This already take up ur 1 day =)
Oh yeah, ha...i see what you mean. But I was thinking I need to look for a car with driver in Taipei first for the trip to Taroko Gorge and Taichung. Is it easy to travel to Taichung from Taoyuan airport, by train? Then look for a car with driver there?

rae0724
post Feb 16 2016, 02:22 PM

On my way
681 posts

any recommended place to exchange taiwan dollars in malaysia?
the mid valley there again? @@
_ChAoS_
post Feb 16 2016, 02:41 PM

29 posts

QUOTE(matt_turner @ Feb 13 2016, 10:50 AM)
Thanks very much.

I am thinking of extending my time in Green Island and reducing time in other places.

Also reducing the number of hot springs that I am going to. It is just too many. I think that I will visit the unique ones only (as listed below)

Some must-visit places include:
dive / snorkel: Nanliao, Tapaisha and Chaikou (Green Island)
Suao cold springs in Yilan

If there are better hot springs than the ones above or if some from my previous list are better, please advise.
Taitung I think that I could skip and go to Hualien as there is quite a bit of activities that I can do

Night markets they are all very similar so am not particular about which ones I visit, so am very flexible.
And could maybe do last 2 days in Taipei so am back in the city.

Thanks again everyone for your help with my trip.
A little tip for your trip in Green island. You can give the night tour a pass if they offer it to you for a fee at the hostel. You can use your rented scooter and followed the group at your own pace. There will be plenty of groups going around the island at night. They won't mind if an extra has joined them. whistling.gif
inachi
post Feb 17 2016, 12:24 AM

i don troll
1,097 posts

QUOTE(joydman @ Feb 16 2016, 11:46 AM)
Oh yeah, ha...i see what you mean. But I was thinking I need to look for a car with driver in Taipei first for the trip to Taroko Gorge and Taichung. Is it easy to travel to Taichung from Taoyuan airport, by train? Then look for a car with driver there?
thats why..not sure about others..but if me, i would travel from taoyuan all the way down to taichung via their High speed rail..after i reach taichung i got a driver to bring me around taichung then fetch me to Taroko which is in Hualien..once u done with the first few days in taichung and hualien, then u can take train back to taipei..then free and easy d..

if u travel other way round, i foresee there'll be a lot of unncessary stops and money on driver to fetch u from north down to south? Just my opinion la tongue.gif

This post has been edited by inachi: Feb 17 2016, 12:26 AM
goldfries
post Feb 17 2016, 01:56 AM

40K Club
Group Icon
Forum Admin
44,409 posts

QUOTE(cineis @ Feb 13 2016, 01:05 PM)
If you want to see activities even towards the night then Xi Men Ding, plenty of places to explore.

I've stayed in other areas of Taipei and they're pretty quiet at night.

joydman
post Feb 17 2016, 11:48 AM

23 posts

QUOTE(inachi @ Feb 17 2016, 12:24 AM)
thats why..not sure about others..but if me, i would travel from taoyuan all the way down to taichung via their High speed rail..after i reach taichung i got a driver to bring me around taichung then fetch me to Taroko which is in Hualien..once u done with the first few days in taichung and hualien, then u can take train back to taipei..then free and easy d..

if u travel other way round, i foresee there'll be a lot of unncessary stops and money on driver to fetch u from north down to south? Just my opinion la  tongue.gif
Yeah, very true, especially money on driver part, ha.. But considering my eta in Taoyuan airport is 2.40 pm so after clearing immigration and collect luggage may be around 4.30pm.

Though i see the time it takes by high speed rail to Taichung about 40 mins, worry i might reach Taichung late.

But i like the suggestion, i will definitely take the high speed rail back to Taipei to experience the ride.
Thanks alot for the suggestions and opinion, appreciate it.

inachi
post Feb 18 2016, 10:04 PM

i don troll
1,097 posts

QUOTE(joydman @ Feb 17 2016, 11:48 AM)
Yeah, very true, especially money on driver part, ha.. But considering my eta in Taoyuan airport is 2.40 pm so after clearing immigration and collect luggage may be around 4.30pm.

Though i see the time it takes by high speed rail to Taichung about 40 mins, worry i might reach Taichung late.

But i like the suggestion, i will definitely take the high speed rail back to Taipei to experience the ride.
Thanks alot for the suggestions and opinion, appreciate it.
lol i assumed u are on AirAsia too? same time as me..

so whats ur latest plan after u arrived Taoyuan airport?

158 Pages « < 87 88 89 90 91 > » Top
Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0252sec    0.92    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:05 PM