Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

CIMA and ACCA, Confused and advice needed

views

joanne871207
post Oct 12 2006, 08:46 PM

Getting Started
52 posts

well, im studying in B.A of accounting..but i decided 2 continue study ACCA after finish my B.A of accounting..
juz wana know, need to take how many paper more 2 finish ACCA?
Shezzar
post Oct 12 2006, 08:52 PM

~T�DdY ♥ PĩGģīĔ~
1,578 posts

QUOTE(liangko @ Oct 12 2006, 07:48 PM)
Thx alot.  notworthy.gif
Are you a member of ACCA already?
You mean when we've graduated, we just shuffling around and do some photocopy stuff only for the 3 years? 3rd year onwards only start to learn auditing?

Actually now I'm having sem break for 3 months and I'm working as temporary account clerk in Holiday Worlds(travelling company) at KL. I"m just started to work there for 1 week and what actually I'm doing in the office mostly is file-ling. I hardly got the chance to touch the accounting software they're using - Power suite. I feel very boring to just only do file-ling as it very easy and meaningless task. I feel very dissapointed as I thought that I could learn something new from there but the fact is not. Is it U-freshgraduated need to do file-ling or fotocopying when they 1st come out to work? Why is it so? Feel so depressed.
Hmm if you read my previous post, i think i mentioned that im "taking" ACCA. I just started my optionals.

Actually not really you jus do photostating. What they would ask you to do is prepare all the minor minor work like representation letter, working paper and some not so technical stuff yet. When you move to bout 1st year you start learning bit more. But when you reach to bout your 3rd year, then thats your "own" client where you would have your own team or you would be audit senior ald.

Well, like i said again. This is some basic training. First you do need to noe how to file things and where is the photostating machine and how to use it. Like when i joined KPMG my senior was VERY strict in the way how i filed things and yeah...the filing room is my second home sweat.gif. Alot of people lose interest because of these things. Fell like its a repetitive work line and theres nothing you can learn. If you think thats repetitive, then you should see how Taxation is...all you would be doing is Form B/BE/M/E and STD STD STD...ok...Not the STD that you are thinking shakehead.gif

So dont feel dissapointed just yet. Take it as a training where you learn the basics. But IMO you should try applying for Vocational Trainee in any of the Big 4 coz you would learn far more things than i think this travelling agency. Since you have a 3months break, do send in your application as VT. Be warn that pay really is HORRIBLE.

Cheers
SheZZaR

nonamekid
post Oct 13 2006, 10:23 AM

Casual
426 posts

those basic is important..but 3 months is abit limited for those holidays student..if the company ask him filing 3 months without using any software..call it a day for his "collecting working experience" holiday. so do u think he should consider to change his job before is too late? drool.gif rclxm9.gif doh.gif

This post has been edited by nonamekid: Oct 13 2006, 10:33 AM
liangko
post Oct 13 2006, 10:31 AM

Getting Started
129 posts

QUOTE(Shezzar @ Oct 12 2006, 08:52 PM)
Well, like i said again. This is some basic training. First you do need to noe how to file things and where is the photostating machine and how to use it. Like when i joined KPMG my senior was VERY strict in the way how i filed things and yeah...the filing room is my second home sweat.gif. Alot of people lose interest because of these things. Fell like its a repetitive work line and theres nothing you can learn. If you think thats repetitive, then you should see how Taxation is...all you would be doing is Form B/BE/M/E and STD STD STD...ok...Not the STD that you are thinking shakehead.gif

So dont feel dissapointed just yet. Take it as a training where you learn the basics. But IMO you should try applying for Vocational Trainee in any of the Big 4 coz you would learn far more things than i think this travelling agency.� Since you have a 3months break, do send in your application as VT. Be warn that pay really is HORRIBLE.
THx for your advice. Is it possible that I no need to do file-ling anymore in my first job after I've graduated as now I already been doing it? I think it may not so because different companies have its own kind of documents and for sure will have his own file-ling system right? rclxub.gif

This post has been edited by liangko: Oct 13 2006, 10:35 AM
Irresistible
post Oct 13 2006, 01:19 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,189 posts

QUOTE(joanne871207 @ Oct 12 2006, 08:46 PM)
well, im studying in B.A of accounting..but i decided 2 continue study ACCA after finish my B.A of accounting..
U should try to take it at the same time.
If u r Public Unoversity or UTAR, the subject coverage is same like ACCA. U can attend night class if u r worry. I do think that this will only help u to get a beautiful CGPA in ur degree!!

joanne871207
post Oct 13 2006, 07:23 PM

Getting Started
52 posts

QUOTE(Irresistible @ Oct 13 2006, 01:19 PM)
U should try to take it at the same time.
If u r Public Unoversity or UTAR, the subject coverage is same like ACCA. U can attend night class if u r worry. I do think that this will only help u to get a beautiful CGPA in ur degree!!
take at the same time? will it be difficult? my class till 5.30pm sometimes, n continue another class at nite? im affraid its making my result poor ler.. rclxub.gif
im studying in UCSI(Universiti College Sedaya International)...
i asked my lecturer about ACCA..and he say need to take 5 more papers to complete ACCA (if not mistaken).. i juz 1 2 confirm...

Shezzar
post Oct 13 2006, 07:48 PM

~T�DdY ♥ PĩGģīĔ~
1,578 posts

QUOTE(joanne871207 @ Oct 12 2006, 08:46 PM)
QUOTE(joanne871207 @ Oct 13 2006, 07:23 PM)
take at the same time? will it be difficult? my class till 5.30pm sometimes, n continue another class at nite? im affraid its making my result poor ler.. rclxub.gif
im studying in UCSI(Universiti College Sedaya International)...
i asked my lecturer about ACCA..and he say need to take 5 more papers to complete ACCA (if not mistaken).. i juz 1 2 confirm...
It actually depends on whether ACCA recognises your degree and how far they recognise it. AFAIK, ACCA recognises UTAR and MMU (Malaysian Multimedia University) degree to an extent up to Part 2 of ACCA means they would only have to take Part 3 only (about 5 papers more)

From your earlier post, it seems that your lecturer is confident that UCSI degree is same till an extent up to Part 2. You may contact the local ACCA office to enquire how far your degree is recognised and whether you are able to enroll in the ACCA Accelerate Programme.

Studying 2 courses at one time may not be very advisable. This is because since you do not know how many papers you are exempted, you cant enroll yourself just yet. AFAIK, ACCA will give you a confirmation on how many papers that you are currently exempted and then only you can enroll in the other papers. So even if you want to take 2 subjects at the same time, its not possible.

Would also like to advise you, Part 3 onwards of ACCA is more on part-time basis. So dont be suprise that your classes may be from 6.30 till bout 9.30 or even Sat/Sun classes which stretches till late.

QUOTE(nonamekid @ Oct 13 2006, 10:23 AM)
those basic is important..but 3 months is abit limited for those holidays student..if the company ask him filing 3 months without using any software..call it a day for his "collecting working experience" holiday. so do u think he should consider to change his job before is too late? drool.gif  rclxm9.gif  doh.gif
well if im not mistaken UTAR breaks has started bout almost a month now rite? if thats the case then im afraid that its too late for him to change jobs. Jus keep with the current job and try not to shuffle around to often. It would affect your resume badly. Important thing is get your necessary experiences and a good testimonial to beautify your next resume.

QUOTE(liangko @ Oct 13 2006, 10:31 AM)
THx for your advice. Is it possible that I no need to do file-ling anymore in my first job after I've graduated as now I already been doing it? I think it may not so because different companies have its own kind of documents and for sure will have his own file-ling system right?  rclxub.gif
That is entirely up to your senior. Unless you want to hype and emphasise on the fact that you did alot of filing and nothing else, then its not going to be a good thing. Cause then they would just see your "experience" as nothing much than a fiing clerk.

Every company and firm and even department has a different style of filing naturally. Not one company is same as the different even though their are branches.

Cheers
SheZZaR

joanne871207
post Oct 13 2006, 10:56 PM

Getting Started
52 posts

[quote=Shezzar,Oct 13 2006, 07:48 PM]
It actually depends on whether ACCA recognises your degree and how far they recognise it. AFAIK, ACCA recognises UTAR and MMU (Malaysian Multimedia University) degree to an extent up to Part 2 of ACCA means they would only have to take Part 3 only (about 5 papers more)

From your earlier post, it seems that your lecturer is confident that UCSI degree is same till an extent up to Part 2. You may contact the local ACCA office to enquire how far your degree is recognised and whether you are able to enroll in the ACCA Accelerate Programme.

Studying 2 courses at one time may not be very advisable. This is because since you do not know how many papers you are exempted, you cant enroll yourself just yet. AFAIK, ACCA will give you a confirmation on how many papers that you are currently exempted and then only you can enroll in the other papers. So even if you want to take 2 subjects at the same time, its not possible.

Would also like to advise you, Part 3 onwards of ACCA is more on part-time basis. So dont be suprise that your classes may be from 6.30 till bout 9.30 or even Sat/Sun classes which stretches till late.

ya..i know that..so i may take ACCA when im working..
if i finish my degree and straight away continue ACCA, it will be late where i dun hav any experience compare to others...i think i wasted those time taking degree, coz at the end i wanted to take ACCA. my sis finished studying ACCA, where she take CAT and straight away take ACCA. she is working in big four (Deloitte) now.
i hope i can get in too.. laugh.gif
Shezzar
post Oct 13 2006, 11:06 PM

~T�DdY ♥ PĩGģīĔ~
1,578 posts

QUOTE(joanne871207 @ Oct 13 2006, 10:56 PM)
QUOTE(Shezzar @ Oct 13 2006, 07:48 PM)

if i finish my degree and straight away continue ACCA, it will be late where i dun hav any experience compare to others...i think i wasted those time taking degree, coz at the end i wanted to take ACCA. my sis finished studying ACCA, where she take CAT and straight away take ACCA. she is working in big four (Deloitte) now.
I think its not really much of waste. My bro is after his degree and also taking ACCA like me. going straight from CAT to ACCA would always be faster but then again, you would only hav ACCA rather than a Degree and ACCA which i think would carry much more wheight in your resume so dont feel so down yet.

I think its not difficult. As long as you have the will and confidence, anything is possible. Especially if you have ACCA qualification, Big 4 doors would alwyas be open to you.

Cheers
SheZZaR
joanne871207
post Oct 13 2006, 11:15 PM

Getting Started
52 posts

[quote=Shezzar,Oct 13 2006, 11:06 PM]

[/quote]

I think its not really much of waste. My bro is after his degree and also taking ACCA like me. going straight from CAT to ACCA would always be faster but then again, you would only hav ACCA rather than a Degree and ACCA which i think would carry much more wheight in your resume so dont feel so down yet.

I think its not difficult. As long as you have the will and confidence, anything is possible. Especially if you have ACCA qualification, Big 4 doors would alwyas be open to you.

Cheers
SheZZaR

[/quote]

yeah, thanks for ur advice.. laugh.gif
ermm..lets say, my fren taking finance and accounting(degree), she can continue taking CIMA?she is concretrate in finance part rather than accounting..
juz wana ask some info her my best fren tongue.gif
Shezzar
post Oct 13 2006, 11:19 PM

~T�DdY ♥ PĩGģīĔ~
1,578 posts

QUOTE(joanne871207 @ Oct 13 2006, 11:15 PM)
yeah, thanks for ur advice.. laugh.gif
ermm..lets say, my fren taking finance and accounting(degree), she can continue taking CIMA?she is concretrate in finance part rather than accounting..
juz wana ask some info her my best fren  tongue.gif
Not a problem at all smile.gif

I think it shouldnt be much of a problem. You can contact the local CIMA office for more reliable information tho =)

Cheers
SheZZaR
joanne871207
post Oct 13 2006, 11:24 PM

Getting Started
52 posts

thanks... happy.gif
coolly
post Oct 14 2006, 04:02 PM

Regular
1,171 posts

Shezzar,

just want to ask your opinion on the selection between big firm and medium firms for the start of a career on audit?
Shezzar
post Oct 14 2006, 10:39 PM

~T�DdY ♥ PĩGģīĔ~
1,578 posts

QUOTE(coolly @ Oct 14 2006, 04:02 PM)
Shezzar,

just want to ask your opinion on the selection between big firm and medium firms for the start of a career on audit?
Well between selecting big/medium firms each have its on merit/benefit.

Big Firms
Being in a Big Firm is always someones dream. Cause its perstigious and well, many says pay are better. Indeed these are the main points selecting a big firm as compared to a smaller firm.

In a big firm you would definately learn more as compared to a smaller firm. This is because bigger firms normally have bigger/more clients. Thus you learn different industries, different things as compared to a smaller firm.

Aside from that, when you move out from firms to the commercial line, it carries some wheight or maybe some "gold" in your resume later. When your potential employer sees you coming from PwC or KPMG, it shows you would have quality training and quality knowledge as compared to being from Ah Chong and Co.

Smaller Firms
Well, the downside of being in a smaller firm would naturally be lower pay and heavy workload. This is because you prolly have less employees and thus less team members to conduct the audit.

As compared to bigger firms, you would not necesarily be jus doing audit but maybe Tax and advisory as well. So you kinda have an all-rounder knowledge base as compared to Audit which only focus for example assurance or due diligence if you were in the Audit line or Personal Tax/Corporate Tax/Tax Planning if you were in the Tax Line.

However, smaller firms means smaller client base means less jobs to do. So in the way, you would be less stressed up and more free time.

All in all, again bigger firms and smaller firms both has its own individual merits and downside. IMO, if you have to oppurtunity to start off in the bigger firms, then by all means grab the oppurtunity. But if not, start of in a medium firm first and work your way to the big firms. All that matters is the experience.

Hope this helps you

Cheers
SheZZaR
coolly
post Oct 15 2006, 08:27 PM

Regular
1,171 posts

QUOTE(Shezzar @ Oct 14 2006, 10:39 PM)
Well between selecting big/medium firms each have its on merit/benefit.

Big Firms
Being in a Big Firm is always someones dream. Cause its perstigious and well, many says pay are better. Indeed these are the main points selecting a big firm as compared to a smaller firm.

In  a big firm you would definately learn more as compared to a smaller firm. This is because bigger firms normally have bigger/more clients. Thus you learn different industries, different things as compared to a smaller firm.

Aside from that, when you move out from firms to the commercial line, it carries some wheight or maybe some "gold" in your resume later. When your potential employer sees you coming from PwC or KPMG, it shows you would have quality training and quality knowledge as compared to being from Ah Chong and Co.

Smaller Firms
Well, the downside of being in a smaller firm would naturally be lower pay and heavy workload. This is because you prolly have less employees and thus less team members to conduct the audit.

As compared to bigger firms, you would not necesarily be jus doing audit but maybe Tax and advisory as well. So you kinda have an all-rounder knowledge base as compared to Audit which only focus for example assurance or due diligence if you were in the Audit line or Personal Tax/Corporate Tax/Tax Planning if you were in the Tax Line.

However, smaller firms means smaller client base means less jobs to do. So in the way, you would be less stressed up and more free time.

All in all, again bigger firms and smaller firms both has its own individual merits and downside. IMO, if you have to oppurtunity to start off in the bigger firms, then by all means grab the oppurtunity. But if not, start of in a medium firm first and work your way to the big firms. All that matters is the experience.

Hope this helps you

Cheers
SheZZaR
thanks for ur sharing...will bear that in mind... notworthy.gif notworthy.gif
chinail
post Dec 3 2006, 12:21 AM

Getting Started
136 posts

can u explain wat is ICSA plz.
coolly
post Dec 3 2006, 10:15 AM

Regular
1,171 posts

QUOTE(chinail @ Dec 3 2006, 12:21 AM)
can u explain wat is ICSA plz.
The Institute of Chartered Secretaries and Administrators (ICSA) is the leading recognised professional body for Chartered Secretaries and Administrators in the United Kingdom and throughout the world. Formed in 1891, the Institute today has 44,000 members and 28,000 students in over 70 countries.

Logo for MAICSAThe Malaysian Institute of Chartered Secretaries and Administrators (MAICSA) was founded in 1959 as an affiliated body to ICSA. Membership of the Institute is limited only to members and students of the Institute residing in Malaysia. At present the Institute has about 4,800 members (comprising Fellows, Associates) and Graduates, over 2,600 students and about 900 Affiliates.

There are two classes of membership of the Institute, ie Fellows and Associates. All qualified members of the Institute are entitled to describe themselves as Chartered Secretaries and use the designatory letters, FCIS or ACIS as appropriate. Fellowship is the senior grade of membership. Another grade, Grad ICSA comprises those who have successfully completed the examinations but have not yet gained sufficient qualifying service for Associateship.

Recognition

In Malaysia, the FCIS and ACIS qualifications are recognised by the Government as equivalent to Honours degrees whilst the Grad ICSA is recognised as equivalent to a general degree. The Government has also gazetted MAICSA as a prescribed body under Section 139(A) of the Companies Act 1965, which means that Associate and Fellow members of MAICSA can automatically act as company secretaries without having to apply for a licence from the Companies Commission of Malaysia (CCM). Members of the Institute with more than five years practical tax experience, either in the Government or private sector, are also eligible to apply to become tax agents under Section 153 (3) of Income Tax Act 1967.

MAICSA members who have at least 3 years experience in the financial and securities industry can be accepted for registration with MESDAQ as a compliance officer under MESDAQ Business Rule 508(2)©.

In tandem with its mission of developing good corporate professionals, MAICSA is committed to maintaining the highest standard of integrity and ethical values within the profession. MAICSA also acts as a change catalyst in the corporate arena, participating actively in the enhancement of corporate governance. It has been championing best practices in corporate governance and educating the Malaysian corporate sector on its importance.

for more info,pls refer to http://www.maicsa.org.my thumbup.gif
putrajazz
post Dec 26 2007, 04:15 PM

4 posts

ACCA and CIMA is the professional accountancy bodies which determine your qualification. But if you are an accountant in Malaysia, you need to register with MIA. I receive this mail. Hope it helps. tongue.gif

The Malaysian Institute of Accountants (MIA) was established under the Accountants Act 1967 as the country's national accountancy body, and is empowered to regulate the accountancy profession in Malaysia.

The Accountants Act 1967 provides that unless a person is registered as a member with the MIA, he/she cannot practice or hold himself/herself out as an accountant in Malaysia. It has come to our attention that there are many individuals working in the public sector, commerce and industry, and many other organizations who may not be aware of the Accountants Act 1967 and the need to register with MIA if they wish to work and practice as accountants or any other like description.

Thus, under these Promotion and Development Department has provided services which to make much more convenient for this profession to become Chartered Accountants. We will assist from the early stage of preparation the document until it is completed and as well as to collect the form (Klang Valley).

For further enquiries, feel free to contact me at my direct line at 603 2279 9349 or my mobile at 6012 3819827.

I wish to inform the document you have to attach together with the application form:

1. Photocopy IC
2. Photocopy certificate from professional bodies.
3. Photo passport size
4. Payment can be made through cheque, credit card or bank draft

If you need any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me directly

Diego Kaslam
Development & Promotions
Malaysian Institute of Accountants
Dewan Akauntan
2, Jalan Tun Sambanthan 3
Brickfields
50470 Kuala Lumpur
DID: 03-22799349
Fax: 03-22799386
Mobile: 012-3819827

kobe8byrant
post Dec 26 2007, 07:03 PM

I'm too old for this stuff
All Stars
12,275 posts

QUOTE(ParaOpticaL @ Oct 9 2006, 05:43 PM)
if you are not sure please dont comment unnecassarily. who says that CIMA when grauduate becomes Factory Manager ?

Do you understand what does CIMA mean ?
Chartered Institute of MANAGEMENT Accounting and not Manufacturing stuff ok.
Both ACCA and CIMA also focus on Financial accounting and costing.
Yes in Malaysia no doubt ACCA is more popular but it you are counting worldwide and the UK, CIMA is ranked No. 1.

If you are not sure please contact the Local CIMA Centre in Kelana Jaya.

123 Jalan SS6/12
Kelana Jaya Urban Centre
47301 Petaling Jaya
Selangor Darul Ehsan

Email: kualalumpur@cimaglobal.com
Phone: 60 (0)3 7803 5531
Fax: 60 (0)3 7805 1594

Karen Yeap (Manager, Student Services)
Email: karen.yeap@cimaglobal.com

or ACCA

ACCA Malaysia Sdn Bhd (473007P)
27th Floor, Wisma Denmark
86 Jalan Ampang
50450 Kuala Lumpur

tel: +60 (0)3 2713 5051
fax: +60 (0)3 2713 5052
e-mail: info@my.accaglobal.com

Do you have facts to support these claims that CIMA is worldwide #1? And thanks for the tel. numbers given.

This post has been edited by kobe8byrant: Dec 26 2007, 07:03 PM
davide1982
post Jun 1 2009, 01:01 AM

1 posts

Choosing between those certificates depends on your industry preference. I'd also recommend the following article for those who are interested in becoming a qualified accountant:

http://www.myhowtoos.com/en/at-work-howtoo...l-in-accounting

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0171sec    0.28    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:12 PM