Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Car Batteries, What brand do you use? Why?

views

IamAHuman
post Jan 16 2019, 07:59 AM

Casual
339 posts

QUOTE(fireballs @ Jan 9 2019, 09:35 PM)
What's so special about ctek vs other pulse chargers?
Like this one:
MYR 44.85
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/bO4QPwET
QUOTE(wkc5657 @ Jan 10 2019, 10:31 AM)
Don't buy these unknown brands unless you truly know about them and used them before.

For peace of mind, just get proper lead acid battery charges made by ctek or bosch. They have built in chip for circuitry protection and charge modulation so it won't cause damage to the battery and the charger. Yes, they cost multiples of what you saw, but again, peace of mind.
Since we are in the topic of battery charger / reconditioning, I have a dilemma here.

My agm battery is about 5 years + and I just measured its standing / resting volt at 12.3V, which is at the low side but not too low.

Hence, am thinking of either changing to a new agm battery which will cost me rm1500 or so, or buy ctek 5.0 to recondition the battery.

The only thing is that I’m not sure if I were to recondition the battery, how long would it extend it’s life seeing it’s past 5 years already.

Any users of ctek or others would like to comment?
IamAHuman
post Jan 16 2019, 01:39 PM

Casual
339 posts

QUOTE(fireballs @ Jan 16 2019, 09:50 AM)
Perhaps any friendly guys here can borrow his ctek to try first?
Another question, is agm batteries really necessary? Can use normal? As long as the cold cranking amps is enough should be fine isn't it. (Assuming no idle stop eco stop)
QUOTE(hafiez @ Jan 16 2019, 10:08 AM)
yes
Haha... I wish too! But seriously, it'll be hard to find a kind soul to offer this biggrin.gif

QUOTE(VeeJay @ Jan 16 2019, 11:10 AM)
One of biggest benefit of AGM batteries is, for those who do not use their vehicle on regular basis, it has the capability to hold the power longer.

some reading material here...

https://www.batterystuff.com/kb/articles/ba...ery-basics.html
Yup but AGM batteries are priced 2x or 3x from the normal batteries.
IamAHuman
post Jan 16 2019, 01:43 PM

Casual
339 posts

QUOTE(wkc5657 @ Jan 16 2019, 01:40 PM)
I believe it would be more economical that you buy yourself a lead acid charger.

But there is no guarantee that the charger would help bring it back to original level as there is no way to ascertain what kind of wear and tear occurred within the construction which is out of view.
I have ctek charger but i reside way down south.

Not necessary for AGM, just get the correctly rated battery for your car electrical needs. But if already on AGM, just charge it up as AGM is much more receptive to recharging than other construction types.
what version of ctek do you have bro? How long have you used it and lastly, is it a worthwhile investment? Meaning does it really prolong your battery life by perhaps 1.5x or 2x more?
IamAHuman
post Jan 16 2019, 02:07 PM

Casual
339 posts

QUOTE(wkc5657 @ Jan 16 2019, 01:49 PM)
I'm using the older 5.0 version, bought it online through RS components, the price was around 450 but that was quite some years ago.

I don't really know, and i'm not using AGM, but my battery died around 2.5 years despite 2nd half of the life was on a monthly charge. The factory fitted unit wasn't great to begin with, so hard to say.

But if you're already on AGM to begin wutg, i guess no harm to try charging it first.

From some forums on european countries, their factory fitted battery lasted beyond 8 years. But i didn't read further to gather details whether that driver done any charging before.
thanks for the feedback bro. Am thinking of investing in the ctek but it's priced at rm500 now. So, dunno whether it's worth it or I should just simply change the battery. Thanks again!
IamAHuman
post Jan 16 2019, 10:48 PM

Casual
339 posts

QUOTE(hafiez @ Jan 16 2019, 06:57 PM)
I have 3 car. they are varta AGM by default. now two of them using century marathoner normal, only one left with varta agm. varta need to spend rm1.1k-1.2k. but with century, around 300/400 only.

like u said, as long as the requirement are met, its okay.
I heard some say it’ll damage the car’s electrical system. Don’t mind if I ask what are your 3 cars?
IamAHuman
post Jan 16 2019, 11:22 PM

Casual
339 posts

QUOTE(hafiez @ Jan 16 2019, 11:09 PM)
no. AGM just a technology how the battery holds the power. like I said, as long as the power requirement are met by the battery according to the manufacturer, its okay already

I have MB W245 and W176, both on century marathoner. W245 already on its 2nd battery after 5 years of ownership. normal battery only can last around 2years max for my case. Meanwhile my MB W246 are still on Varta AGM which they previous owner replace it after 4/5 years I guess because there is a date stamped on the battery stated 2017.
both MB W245 and W176 I think could only last another year max. then maybe I will change back to Varta, but not AGM series. maybe EFB only. I don't have the luxury to use AGM batteries lah… laugh.gif

for the MB W246, I will wait the AGM to finish, then move to EFB. depends on the budget lah that time haha...
Well... from my research, if you use normal batteries (no agm), then you have to disable your stop start feature. I’m ok with that.

By right and in theory, as long as you meet the battery power criteria, then it should be no problem. I’m driving a Beemer F10 and they advise me to stick back to agm batteries as you’ll need to code it back to your car. Anyway, I’ll need to do more research on this.
IamAHuman
post Jan 17 2019, 08:08 AM

Casual
339 posts

QUOTE(hafiez @ Jan 16 2019, 11:39 PM)
ok. with my limited knowledge, I think BMW came with different technology regarding battery. so better stick with AGM and get it installed at reliable indie.

just buy the battery by yourself to save a bit of money, then ask indie to install it for u.

btw your warranty already over?
Hi bro... yeah, BMW is a different story. However, I've heard owners ditching the AGM and going for normal batteries. So far, they didn't complain on it laugh.gif

But still it's a risk. That's why am looking at testing the CTEK on whether it'll be a worthwhile investment to prolong the batteries.

IamAHuman
post Jan 18 2019, 07:29 AM

Casual
339 posts

QUOTE(hafiez @ Jan 17 2019, 08:23 PM)
mmmmm thought so. so can I just use EFB battery instead on the next change? because this varta efb series half of the price of varta agm. all these cars are 1.6 only. laugh.gif

anyway, I bought all of those cars, used. so upon receiving the car, the battery already century. I just maintain the battery brand and model as it never gaves me problem while using it. just one car still with varta agm. for this agm, I think I will follow u and how to revive it and make it longer lifespan.

maybe IamAHuman can follow too, instead of replacing it. laugh.gif
Yeah bro.. Was thinking of investing in ctek but that's the thing. I don't want to spend Rm500 to get a product which will only perhaps prolong the AGM battery for another perhaps 6 months? If so, might as well, I go replacing the whole battery instead. The idea of recharging the battery at a shop is a good idea but it does mean I'll have to leave the car.

Haih.. Decisions decisions...

IamAHuman
post Jan 18 2019, 01:00 PM

Casual
339 posts

QUOTE(hafiez @ Jan 18 2019, 12:13 PM)
hehehe...your agm battery around 1.8k. It could last like how many years, 6/7yrs? I’d go with it. Or else just go with EFB (half the price), re-calibrate the battery and u r good to go. From what i understand now with BMW is, u need same Ah battery and calibration. If thats it, good enough. No need agm.
Yup, that's true but with EFB, the stop start function may not work properly. If I'm going to that route, then I might was well change the whole battery to a proper AGM one. wink.gif
IamAHuman
post Jan 18 2019, 03:34 PM

Casual
339 posts

QUOTE(hafiez @ Jan 18 2019, 02:58 PM)
Cool... Thanks bro..
IamAHuman
post Jan 21 2019, 02:13 PM

Casual
339 posts

QUOTE(wkc5657 @ Jan 21 2019, 11:16 AM)
I guess i didn't make myself clear enough, the likeliness of AGM recovering from a depleted state is much higher than normal batteries (including EFB). If you're on the fence, just pay a small sum to battery shop to help you recharge if you don't want to buy a battery charger. Then recheck the battery condition after being charged, the shop will likely do it complimentary for you.

You save even more money from not getting a new battery and/or a battery charger.
Understand bro. The only thing is that I need to leave my car for them to recharge my battery rite? Hence, not so viable without a car to use.

I've bought a ctek battery charger/condition. Will see how it goes when the product arrives.
IamAHuman
post Feb 11 2019, 04:42 PM

Casual
339 posts

QUOTE(DieHardFan88 @ Feb 11 2019, 12:26 PM)
Hi, I'm renting my own CTEK Original Charger and Reconditioning MXS 5.0 latest version out. Please see my thread created in Automotive thread - CTEK Rental and Sales. PM me if you still need to rent or even to buy new units.
Thanks.
Wow. You should have said it earlier so that I could loan and test it out first. Anyway, thanks bro!
IamAHuman
post Aug 6 2021, 10:23 PM

Casual
339 posts

QUOTE(SilentForever @ Aug 6 2021, 09:32 PM)
Thanks! Another thing I notice for my other car is I put charger Bosch C7 on it for 6-7 hours still havent enter trickle charge mode, for 2 day I 6-7 hours still havent full, what could be the issue? The car is parked outside so I have only 6-7 hour window to park in and charge.
Battery problem already. It’s an indication that your battery’s life is near or at the end already.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0377sec    0.40    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:52 PM