Hong Leong Bank 28350074331

Item being sold/bought:
Sony PlayStation 2
Original thread link:
https://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?showtopic=3496840&hl=
Date of transaction:
17 February 2015

Details of the complaint :
On 17th February, I entered into a deal with forum member Maxwell6635, to purchase his used Sony PlayStation2. At first, he offered to COD but seeing as it's too much trouble on my part I opted for postage instead.
Upon payment, we discussed delivery date and other details such as packaging. Maxwell6635 claimed he couldn't find the original box, so I requested he pack the item in an alternative box properly. I suggested that item be packed with bubble wrap considering the fragile nature of electronics, he affirmed that he would try to pack the item to the best of his ability in the thickest box he could find.

Item arrived today, and upon unwrapping the outer layer I was horrified. He had packed the console in a paper thin box which I assume to be an orange or cake box of sorts, the accompanying cables and peripherals looked like they were just stuffed into the box with some polystyrene fluff. There was nothing securing the console to the box, as a result it looked like the box's contents took quite a beating in transit. The box itself looked the worse of wear.

user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

Console was dented on one side due to heavy impact, and item condition looked more like 6/10 than the 9/10 that he claimed. On testing, console would only power up after a minute or so with some adjusting the wires. I however refused to take the risk that there might be internal damage or damage to the disc drive so I contacted him for a solution.
I offered to send the item back to him in as-is condition with new packing, even throwing in insurance and such to make sure it'll reach him safely. He gave a ton of excuses, implying I could be cheating him and switch the console for a broken one, that it might be lost, that it might break in transit. My deal was, his console back in return for a partial refund of MYR200. I paid MYR225 in total (of which MYR210 was for the console and MYR15 for postage which in the end cost only MYR11+. Did he offer a refund for overpayment? No.), plus I'm offering return shipping.

Regardless, Maxwell6635 proceeded to shift the blame. He blamed me for "insisting" on postage, blamed the postman for rough handling. He refused to take responsibility, even after I reiterated a few times to him that his haphazard packaging was to blame. He then gave more excuses such as hard to find packing material etc., which I find barely reasonable. He asked for some time to make a decision whether to accept my proposal, which IMO were just delaying tactics. With a bit of pressure, he came up with his decision which was quite obvious. He completely refused to accept any responsibility for the fiasco, taking the line of "what's sold is sold, it's your problem now".
I've tried to offer him alternative solutions, such as bringing it to a reputable shop for testing. Obviously that would require taking the seal off, but he wanted no part of it. He insisted that "it's yours now" and implied he had nothing more to do with it.

As a last resort, I'm opening this thread as a warning to other forum members to take caution when dealing with Maxwell6635 especially when it involves postage. He isn't a scammer per se, but it's important to be aware of his attitude when it comes to trades. IMO, he's the type that once he sells something, he'll completely disregard the safety or the condition of the item as it "isn't his" anymore and it isn't his problem. And it applies to packing as well, I've never received an item more negligently packed before.

* I've saved my chatlog with Maxwell6635, will upload upon request.

This post has been edited by itekderp: Feb 26 2015, 10:19 PM
victorian
post Feb 26 2015, 11:25 PM

Look at all my stars!!!
4,821 posts

Hard case bro anything can happen during postage. Unless seller agreed that he will bear any damage during shipping, you can't really do anything. It's buyer's risk.
itekderp
post Feb 27 2015, 03:16 AM

On my way
674 posts

QUOTE(victorian @ Feb 26 2015, 11:25 PM)
Hard case bro anything can happen during postage. Unless seller agreed that he will bear any damage during shipping, you can't really do anything. It's buyer's risk.
Indeed, that's true. I don't have a problem if seller takes the necessary precautions. My only gripe in this case is how seller is excessively lazy and negligent in packing, have you seen the box he sent it in? Who in their right mind sends electronics in such a box, if that isn't asking for trouble I don't know what is. He might as well wrap it in a plastic bag, send it and claim postage is buyer's risk that way.
In that, I think this is mostly his fault. It could have been easily avoided if he had at least taken basic precautions and packed sufficiently. How would you feel if someone sold you a phone, put it in an envelope and just send it like that? And when the phone is damaged it's buyer's risk suddenly.
tompok82
post Mar 29 2015, 11:01 AM

Casual
467 posts

Maxwell6635 care to explain?

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0123sec    0.43    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:53 PM