Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

how to answer during iv?, need suggestion

views

TSle gentleman
post Feb 25 2015, 09:18 PM, updated 9y ago

25 posts

Hi. I worked for 3months as supervisor before this. At a medium size steel & aluminium company. During iv, the manager said that it is up to me to do overtime or not. I need to work monday - saturday. Doing ot, i need to go back at 8pm. Monday to saturday.

Then after i worked there, they kinda push me to do overtime. Every single day. Like it or not, i have to do my ot. Then there is a senior exec that i have to report to. She always find my mistake and report to the manager. In easy word, she doesnt like me since day 1 i worked there. Shes the big boss niece.. So, every single day, she will scold me or find my mistake.
Ask me to do some stupid job etc.

Then after 3months, the manager told me that she think i should look for another job. She got another candidate for this job already. So i quit after i gave 2week notice, as in the offer letter.

Now, during interview for my new job, as im looking for new job now and attend interview,, the inteviewer blame me not to talk to my manager or the senior exec if i dont wanna do ot very day. And they said, i might quit the job again after 3months working for them.

So i dunno what to answer during the iv. They always asked, why did u quit? I told them, i cannot do ot everyday, so i was kinda tired worked there. Or i answered, i need a rewarding job as the overtime rate there is only rm4 per hour. And im very tired working there from monday to saturday. I need a balance job.

Im a degree holder in mechanical eng.

So, how to answer the question. Why did you quit?

This post has been edited by le gentleman: Feb 25 2015, 09:20 PM
chiahau
post Feb 25 2015, 10:18 PM

Fatthau StalKer
All Stars
14,074 posts

QUOTE(le gentleman @ Feb 25 2015, 09:18 PM)
Hi. I worked for 3months as supervisor before this. At a medium size steel & aluminium company. During iv, the manager said that it is up to me to do overtime or not. I need to work monday - saturday. Doing ot, i need to go back at 8pm. Monday to saturday.

Then after i worked there, they kinda push me to do overtime. Every single day. Like it or not, i have to do my ot. Then there is a senior exec that i have to report to. She always find my mistake and report to the manager. In easy word, she doesnt like me since day 1 i worked there. Shes the big boss niece.. So, every single day, she will scold me or find my mistake.

Then after 3months, the manager told me that she think i should look for another job. She got another candidate for this job already. So i quit after i gave 2week notice, as in the offer letter.

Now, during interview for my new job, as im looking for new job now and attend interview,, the inteviewer blame me not to talk to my manager or the senior exec if i dont wanna do ot very day. And they said, i might quit the job again after 3months working for them.

So i dunno what to answer during the iv. They always asked, why did u quit? I told them, i cannot do ot everyday, so i was kinda tired worked there. Or i answered, i need a rewarding job as the overtime rate there is only rm4 per hour. And im very tired working there from monday to saturday. I need a balance job.

Because the work culture there does not suit me?
the7signals
post Feb 26 2015, 03:29 AM

On my way
585 posts

Normally in iv, if the interviewer likes u, no matter what bull story u gave also he/she will buy. If not, whatever reason u gave also not accepted. By right, the interviewer shud find out more on ur skill set n what value u can add into the company instead of focusing on why u quit. My 2-cent & i may be wrong.

This post has been edited by the7signals: Feb 26 2015, 03:29 AM
Miracles
post Mar 3 2015, 12:10 AM

★ Detective /K ★
1,171 posts

Bumping this thread bcos it's a good question to ponder on.
TSle gentleman
post May 26 2015, 08:46 AM

25 posts

yeah guys.. any more answer to give during iv? they always make that awkward face when i told them i worked for 3 months then quit. i told them the work culture there doesnt really suit me. they answered, how do u think our company culture will suit u then. sighhhhh
SUSsupersound
post May 26 2015, 08:51 AM

10k Club
11,554 posts

When people can find mistakes from your work, that's mean you are not competent at all.
So the new company that interviewed you asked the valid questions.
Belphegor
post May 26 2015, 08:59 AM

Dreamer
5,805 posts

QUOTE(le gentleman @ May 26 2015, 08:46 AM)
yeah guys.. any more answer to give during iv? they always make that awkward face when i told them i worked for 3 months then quit. i told them the work culture there doesnt really suit me. they answered, how do u think our company culture will suit u then. sighhhhh
If the interviewer asked about why you leave the previous job, always give some good reviews to your previous company, don't have also must find some to give. That makes you look like you parted with previous company in good terms. Then make up some excuses like it is far from your living area, traffic was tedious, etc.
Furfur
post May 26 2015, 10:50 AM

Getting Started
277 posts

Never ever ever ever ever say negative things about your previous company, even when everyone in the world knows that the company treats their staffs like slaves. There are many neutral ways to answer the reason of leaving question...

1) Career Advancement
2) Better Pay (nothing wrong with this)
3) Company restructure
4) Company downsizing
5) There are certain practice in the company which you do not agree
rickysnapz
post May 26 2015, 10:55 AM

Getting Started
65 posts

QUOTE(Belphegor @ May 26 2015, 08:59 AM)
If the interviewer asked about why you leave the previous job, always give some good reviews to your previous company, don't have also must find some to give. That makes you look like you parted with previous company in good terms. Then make up some excuses like it is far from your living area, traffic was tedious, etc.
Parted with previous company in good terms is always the best answer that you can give. Next time if you resign, always try to get recommendation letter where normally they will write good things about you.

if I asked by that question, normally I will tell I am looking for work-life balance, and also new opportunity where I can be rooted (etc etc fill according to what you can find in google).
Useless Guy
post May 26 2015, 11:02 AM

6 posts

QUOTE(Furfur @ May 26 2015, 10:50 AM)
Never ever ever ever ever say negative things about your previous company, even when everyone in the world knows that the company treats their staffs like slaves. There are many neutral ways to answer the reason of leaving question...

1) Career Advancement
3) Company restructure
4) Company downsizing
+5

Good reason you have .
kitkatjapan
post May 26 2015, 11:28 AM

Getting Started
297 posts

I personally feel its a wrong move to say you aren't willing to work ot everyday. You can say that if you have loads of interviews lined up and don't really need that particular job.

Give other excuses like what others previously mentioned. If they ask you whether their company culture would fit you then say something like "I'm looking for a company that values team work etc etc". You can just say anything positive about their company at this point.
SUSsupersound
post May 26 2015, 12:35 PM

10k Club
11,554 posts

1) Career Advancement
3) Company restructure
4) Company downsizing
Out of 5 reasons, I'll only use no.2, the rest are discriminating your current company.
maraippo
post May 26 2015, 12:45 PM

~PoPoPoPoPo~
1,163 posts

tips: just dont talk bad about your previous employer. u lie la whatever...better than telling your bad experience.
thoyol
post May 26 2015, 12:51 PM

Casual
346 posts

Don't give a vague answer. A good interviewer can easily scrutinized your answer.

You shouldn't mentioned that you quit because of OT. You should say that you unable to click well with your previous supervisor. She scrutinized every parts of your job and despite you improvise it and follow her requirement, she still dissatisfied and undermine your work. So after 3 months, things doesn't workout well and you decided to leave as there is no future for you in the company.

This answers show some good points about you.
a) You are patient, coachable and willing to work the extra miles.
b) You willing to take the pressure and diplomatic about it - being scolded without retaliating
c) You see the bigger picture - the employment doesn't work out for you and you take action to look for something better

Good luck..
Furfur
post May 26 2015, 01:53 PM

Getting Started
277 posts

QUOTE(supersound @ May 26 2015, 12:35 PM)
Out of 5 reasons, I'll only use no.2, the rest are discriminating your current company.
It's depends on the way you say it

1) Career Advancement
every industry, every company, every boss is different. all have different ways of doing and seeing things, different cultures, different kind of clients, different boss, different promotion policy etc. even if it's the exact same industry. Career advancement can mean you trying out new things which your current company don't have. It can also mean you want to learn more things and gain more experience in the industry. You are getting out of your comfort zone to take up a new challenge to grow in YOUR career

i don't think i need to explain this

3) Company restructure
this can mean they change management structure, change MD, or change CEO, or kena bought over, etc. You can also say your department is restructuring. You are placed under a new manager, new HOD, new supervisor. Or they plan to put you into another division or position which is not the job scope you want. ultimately, the change does not help you with your career, that's why you think it's the best time to move on.

4) Company downsizing
Yes, this can reflect bad on the company, only as a whole. In reality, no company is perfect. Even companies like Intel and Dell can downsize because of bad times. So, nothing wrong to mention this if this is really happening. You are making a move to save yourself. Only, and only mention this if this is really happening (you don't know what your interviewer know).

Again, this depends on how you say it. and again, no company is perfect. there may be certain way of them doing things (sometimes unethical or stupid or wasting YOUR time), it is ok for you to not agree. It can be different views of getting things done, politics, end goal, vision etc. Just briefly mention that there are things they do which you don't agree and is against your own principles and value. It may jeopardize your career. That's why you are looking for something more align to your values and career goal

In summary, Don't whine like a little child. Don't complain like you are at the coffee shop. Be neutral, be professional, talk mature.
SUSsupersound
post May 26 2015, 02:35 PM

10k Club
11,554 posts

QUOTE(Furfur @ May 26 2015, 01:53 PM)
It's depends on the way you say it

1) Career Advancement

i don't think i need to explain this

3) Company restructure

4) Company downsizing

Well, it depends how the HR manager sees it also.
restructure and downsizing are more or less the same meaning.
While using no5 will put you in complicated situation as the interviewer will dig this more and may use it to challange you back.
I'll just use no2, simple thumbup.gif
Furfur
post May 26 2015, 02:39 PM

Getting Started
277 posts

QUOTE(supersound @ May 26 2015, 02:35 PM)
Well, it depends how the HR manager sees it also.
restructure and downsizing are more or less the same meaning.
While using no5 will put you in complicated situation as the interviewer will dig this more and may use it to challange you back.
I'll just use no2, simple thumbup.gif
I usually use no. 1 for most of my candidates...works like a charm biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Furfur: May 26 2015, 02:40 PM
danny_rocker
post May 26 2015, 06:31 PM

Casual
323 posts

1) Career Advancement
3) Company restructure
4) Company downsizing
So how do you answer when my contract with the company has ended and the company has no plans to extend my contract which leads to layoffs ?

This post has been edited by danny_rocker: May 26 2015, 06:33 PM
Furfur
post May 27 2015, 08:58 AM

Getting Started
277 posts

QUOTE(danny_rocker @ May 26 2015, 06:31 PM)
So how do you answer when my contract  with the company has ended and the company has no plans to extend my contract which leads to layoffs ?

Just say your contract ended, and the company has to plans to renew any contracts.
Meigamenx
post May 27 2015, 09:32 AM

Wazaaaa
556 posts

Your a degree holder in mechanical engineering. Why do you get the supervisor post only?? Should have been an executive or above. With your education and skill set maybe you should aim higher and as for the question why quit only 3 month of working, Just say that your are a degree holder but the job that you do is not up to the par and you felt like from where you stand you cannot contribute much.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0136sec    0.54    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:25 AM